Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #16
Mcert01
Mouseketeer

Echoing the advise above. Water, water, water. Take a break. Buy a water bottle with a fan ... before you get to Disney. I think they are up to $20 at Disney. Also, double the number of shirts you would normally bring. You will start sweating the minute you walk outside.

We have been President's week, Easter Week, June, July 4th week and August. Best advice to avoid the long lines - take advantage of Early Magic Hours, and follow a tour plan. This lets you see all the headliners + with little to no wait, then be heading back to your hotel for a break when the crowds really start to pour in.

I remember being done with most everything we wanted to see in MK by noon during Easter Week, and were on our way out and seeing so many people on main street that your literally could not see the street or sidewalks. I felt like a Salmon swimming upstream trying to exit the park!

Later, after resting, you can hop to a non EMH park, where crowds are lower (in theory) to catch a couple of attractions you are interested in. Be prepared though ... busy is busy and every park will be crowded.

Epcot is the exception. We generally do Future World in the morning, maybe have lunch in the World Showcase, then go back to the hotel for a bit to rest, then return to tour the World Showcase and see Illuminations later.

I really recommend picking up the Unofficial Guide and use their tours as a guide. There are a lot of sites, etc., but the Unofficial Guide provides tours laid out really well and are easily customizable. Some people may say this is too structured and causes stress. My experience is that it eliminates stress because you don't wait in line, and don't have to think too hard about what to do and when in the midst of massive numbers of people.

The Unofficial Guide will tell you to avoid EMH, but you have to remember, they are writing as if you are staying off site. Our experience last year during July 4th week is that there were far more people at Rope Drop on non-EMH days than on EMH days. Later the EMH park may be more crowded (though again, crowded is crowded), but by then you will have seen everything with little wait and be back at the hotel taking a swim or a nap.

Good luck!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #17
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

We've gone during June the past 3 years.

Remember one thing: These pay services HAVE to tell you it's going to be busier than heck and you won't get anything done unless you pay them to tell you what to do. Otherwise, who would pay them?

Remember one more thing: Most, (most, not all), folks on this board are experts and they believe that the week THEY picked is the only acceptable week to go to WDW. If they are taking the kids out of school, they HAVE to justify it by telling you that's when you HAVE to go to have a good time.

I hate crowds and lines more than anyone. Now, obviously, June is a tad more crowded than the first week of November. But, the parks are open longer hours.

I suggest hoppers and hitting parks at rope drop. The past 3 Junes we haven't waited in a line over 20 minutes, and we pretty much ate where and when we wanted without ADR's. Before everyone jumps all over that statement, if you KNOW you want to eat at CF on a certain day, make the ADR. Just don't be under the impression that many folks on the Dis will give you that if you don't have ADR's you'll be eating Tic Tacs and drinking water.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #18
tiggerthepuppy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
15th-23rd for us - I'll try not to be in any of your pictures
19-24 im going to be in everyones pictures
Old 04-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #19
ajpa
DIS Veteran

Great suggestions so far.
About EMH - my plan was to avoid them and pick non-EMH parks.

Wondering if any other people have done that and how did that work for them?
2007 Jan - Port Orleans French Quarter
2003 Oct - All Star Music
ajpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #20
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpa View Post
Great suggestions so far.
About EMH - my plan was to avoid them and pick non-EMH parks.

Wondering if any other people have done that and how did that work for them?
We normally spend the morning in the park that had AM EMH the previous day, and then spend the evening in the park that has PM EMH that day. I know that makes no sense, but it totally works for us! We never have to wait in very long lines, and if the PM EMH parks are slightly more crowded, it's not as hot so it doesn't really bother us. We'd rather be in the less crowded park when it's the hottest
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
SRUAlmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #21
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

We have been in summer for the last 5-6 years and I don't find it all that crowded. I've seen pics of Christmas when the parks are at a 10 and there is no way most summer days are a 9 compared to that. We get there early and hit the popular rides first or get FPs. We never wait more than 15-20 minutes for a ride, usually more like 8-10 minutes.

We hit the parks at rope drop and leave around 12:30-1 to take a break during the hottest part of the day. Then we come back around 6. We've never been denied entrance back into a park.

Sometimes we go to the same park, sometimes we hop. It just depends on what we want to do. We just ask for ice water at any place that sells fountain drinks. I bring some Crystal lite to add in. I'd rather do this than haul water around. I like my water ice cold too, and it never stays that way in a backpack. We also try to alternate between outside and inside attractions, which keeps us a little cooler.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #22
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

I think you also have to take note of where people are from when they offer you advice about the heat. I, for example, am from South Carolina, so the heat is just part of the summer for us. The only thing difficult for us is that we live on the coast so we normally have a nice little breeze with our heat. In Disney, it's stagnant air. Just wanted to remind you to keep that in mind. Some people rave on and on about how it's SO hot and SO miserable, and then you look and they're from Canada...well, duh it's going to feel hot and miserable in comparison to Canada!
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
SRUAlmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #23
hpfan100
DIS Veteran

I'm a summer visitor as well...July to be exact.

Above tips are good stuff...I like to take a bandana I buy at the dollar store and soak it the night before and freeze or fridge it. I wear it around my head or neck and it keeps me cool...good sweat mop for later too.
If you are bringing your own water bottles pack some crystal lights packs too. Makes the water yummier.

Hats, sunscreen, breathable clothes, water, water, water

Also I plan to watch shows and longer indoor rides during the hottest part of the day. At AK for example I hit lion king, nemo etc. between 12 and 5. At MK I try philharmagic, pirates etc. Also that's a good time to go to a table service restaurant and really take your time.

~~Amy~~ Me:

WDW/WWoHP June 2010 WDW Sept. 2010 DL Oct. 2010 WWoHP July 2011 Leakycon DLR 24hours Leap Day 2012 WWOHP and WDW Platinum July 2012 DLR annual passholder Sept. 2013-2014 WDW and WWoHP May 2013 WDW anniversary March 2014
hpfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #24
chinarider
DIS Veteran

We are going to be at POP June 2-9 , spending the 3-8 at the parks. This will be the 4th time that we have gone the end of May/beginning of June. The last time was 6 years ago so, I dont really remember much about the crowds or heat. If either was really bad, it might have stood out (like making ADR's cross park during parade time etc ). It is just myself DM and my DD17 so, we have no little ones to worry about. I am the type that doesnt sleep well or late so the EMH are best for us. We have allowed ourselves some flexibility if we want to go back to the hotel and rest etc however, I am the type of person who does better if they keep going. It's harder to get me started again once I've had my downtime so, we'll somewhat play it by ear. I've looked at the touring plans crowd calendars for our days of stay and it still doesnt make much sense. For instance, on June 3rd ( Sunday ), MK is listed as the park to avoid, I think this is because of the evening EMH. However, HS is listed as the neutral park and this is SWW!!!
We have purchased the Brita bottles, cyrstal light, starbucks powdered ice coffee and we will have a case of water delivered by Costco (the more we have in the room, the more we will drink and it costs less than 10 dollars delivered).
Glad someone mentioned flip flops, we have a few pair of rainbows and plan to live in those. Has anyone used or purchased frogg toggs? Are they necessary.
We are in Arizona (it's already been over 100 this year ) and I know "it's a dry heat". I'm originally from NY so, I know about humidity but, I'm hoping the beginning of June wont be too bad.

chinarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #25
twotoohappy
Lovin' Pete!
I'll be the one in the evil scar shirt... he he he
Don't bother clapping, it gives the TF a headache ;-)

We got the water bottles that are misters too from Amazon.
Perfect for the parks!!!!

I'd definitely do park hoppers so you can change parks if it gets too crazy

Most important...
Slow down, take breaks, water and have fun
twotoohappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #26
coachb
Mouseketeer

Been 2x in the summer and returning again this July 28. Lots of good advice here...one suggestion: we bring frozen water bottles to the parks. It's so hot it starts melting right away. You have very cold water throughout the day then have a nice bit of ice when you want to add water to it.

Drink lots of water. Use sunscreen. Take breaks/days off. Be prepared to get wet. I dislike the frequent downpours more than the heat. Definitely get to the parks for rope drop!
coachb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #27
Zuzu03
DIS Veteran

EMH and rope drop has never failed us! We've been at Christmas, off times, height of summer, etc., etc. and seriously, I don't understand when people say not to go during EMH. We were just there last week and had MK to ourselves during evening EMH - did everything and left at 1:00 a.m. Turned around and did morning EMH at MK and did everything again. When it starts to get busy, we just hike over to a diff park or resort hop as a nice break from the craziness. We're coming back June 20-25 and yup, it's going to be hot, but if you're prepared (all of the above tips are great), you'll be fine. I also discovered that sundresses are way more comfortable in the heat than anything with a waistband (particularly if you have, ahem, overeaten at one of the buffets).
Old 04-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #28
WaltsMartini
Mouseketeer

Everyone here has GREAT advice. I second AJPA on the brita water bottle suggestion. So much cheaper than buying water bottles in the parks, had one for a DL trip recently and it was indispensable.

Also, if you are planning on eating lunch in the park and then heading back for a mid-day break, it is very worth your time to research quick service spots that will also allow a nice break. Flame Tree BBQ comes to mind in AK, has tons of shades, pavilions, and is generally quieter than the other options.

And when all else fails in MK, get a dole whip
“Walt Disney is a thing, an image that people have ...I drink and I smoke and there are a lot of other things I do that don’t fit that image. But that image stands for something, and you don’t have to explain to people what it means.” Walt Disney

Say hi to me on Twitter at WaltsMartini for Disney Happy Hour at any hour!
WaltsMartini is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: