Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

Question Pictures or descriptions of welcome gifts?

I did a search here, but could not find any info. I even checked on eBay to see if anyone was selling, but there is soooo much Disney stuff on eBay! My family has been on a prior ABD, and so we were offered alternative welcome gifts to the usual back pack or junior adventurer backpack.
Does anyone have photos or can describe the other options?
Adult laptop bag
Child laptop bag
Travel pillow and blanket

Specifically, we are trying to decide about the laptop bag ( which my teen daughter would use; it doesn't need to b e large which means the child size might work, but if it's really festooned with characters and bright colors - maybe not (though like most lovers of all things Disney, she thinks some characters are cool to have)

The rest of us are iPad users and so we are thinking of the pillow and blanket...our question is, is this pretty small when all " wrapped up" ? Is it an inflatable pillow? It may not be worth it to get this if it's not small enough, as we generally travel with carry on bags.

Any advice would be most helpful...I know it sounds nitpicking, but we'd rather get stuff we are sure to use or choose to decline it rather than have more "stuff" that ends up in a landfill somewhere.

TIA to all you multi ABD travelers!
ABD Andean Highlands and Galapagos Islands 2012
Photo Review: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987674
WDW- visits since 1976, lost count a long time ago.
familygoboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by familygoboston View Post
I did a search here, but could not find any info. I even checked on eBay to see if anyone was selling, but there is soooo much Disney stuff on eBay! My family has been on a prior ABD, and so we were offered alternative welcome gifts to the usual back pack or junior adventurer backpack.
Adult laptop bag
Child laptop bag

Specifically, we are trying to decide about the laptop bag ( which my teen daughter would use; it doesn't need to b e large which means the child size might work, but if it's really festooned with characters and bright colors - maybe not (though like most lovers of all things Disney, she thinks some characters are cool to have)

The rest of us are iPad users and so we are thinking of the pillow and blanket...our question is, is this pretty small when all " wrapped up" ? Is it an inflatable pillow? It may not be worth it to get this if it's not small enough, as we generally travel with carry on bags.

Any advice would be most helpful...I know it sounds nitpicking, but we'd rather get stuff we are sure to use or choose to decline it rather than have more "stuff" that ends up in a landfill somewhere.

I believe the pillow and blanket as well as the Child's laptop bag are new, adult laptop bag I received last year here is the description I really like it.

the The bag is brown with the ABD logo on the front it is nylon, there is a small zipper pocket on the front that would fit an ipod or small camera. the flap is held together with velcro then there are two compartments that have zipper closures, one larger than the other and the larger pocket is padded. the othe compartment has a few pockets to separate things. on the outside the there is one solid material pocket and one mesh pocket, the pocket would fit a bottle of water. the bag mesures approximately 17 inches in length and 13 inches in height.

I hope this helps
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post
I believe the pillow and blanket as well as the Child's laptop bag are new, adult laptop bag I received last year here is the description I really like it.

the The bag is brown with the ABD logo on the front it is nylon, there is a small zipper pocket on the front that would fit an ipod or small camera. the flap is held together with velcro then there are two compartments that have zipper closures, one larger than the other and the larger pocket is padded. the othe compartment has a few pockets to separate things. on the outside the there is one solid material pocket and one mesh pocket, the pocket would fit a bottle of water. the bag mesures approximately 17 inches in length and 13 inches in height.

I hope this helps
Thanks Tozzie! That does help...hopefully, someone will have had experience with the other items, but that bag sounds like it would be great for our teen. She's unlikely to bring the lap top on the ABD, but she would like one to go off to college!
Old 04-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
stenogoddess
DIS Veteran

The blanket is blue with ABD logo on a corner. It's fleece. It folds up into a pocket and then it's more pillow like. Good for the plane I would think.

HTHs
Old 04-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
nordkin
DIS Veteran

Here is a picture of the blanket/pillow. It is actually a fleece blanket that folds into a pillow.

nordkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

Thanks Nordken and Stenogoddess- that's really helpful...so it's really sort of a blanket OR a pillow, but it looks pretty small to travel with, so that's good!

I already have a great inflatable pillow that is shaped like a big banana that you wear around your shoulder, but a blanket is a nice idea too! We are not likely to sleep much going from the east coast to Ecuador on two 4 hour flights, but will definately use it when I have to do the double red eye coming back from Tahiti

Thanks !
Old 04-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

I didn't know that they offered alternatives to the backpacks. When did they ask you what you wanted?

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrrx View Post
I didn't know that they offered alternatives to the backpacks. When did they ask you what you wanted?
Our TA asked us about it, seems like she has to note it when she makes our final payment since that is coming up in just a couple of weeks. But she specifically mentioned its only offered for repeaters; my folks are coming with us on their first ABD, and she said they would get back packs, and not have a choice.

It's possible this is newer ( part of the returning guest program changes) as someone on this thread mentioned, some of these items weren't available to returning guests in the recent past.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

Quote:
Our TA asked us about it, seems like she has to note it when she makes our final payment since that is coming up in just a couple of weeks. But she specifically mentioned its only offered for repeaters; my folks are coming with us on their first ABD, and she said they would get back packs, and not have a choice.

It's possible this is newer ( part of the returning guest program changes) as someone on this thread mentioned, some of these items weren't available to returning guests in the recent past.
Thanks. We leave in about 50 days, and we've already made our final payment. I'll have to talk to DH tonight & see if we want to try to change anything. DD needs the big backpack b/c she got the small one last time. I might want the laptop bag or blanket though...

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #10
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

My TA mentioned they'd be sent out 25 days before departure with final docs...so they probably have not "sent" yours yet if you want to make a change, whether there is some lengthy "ordering" period, I don't know but hopefully...

BTW, I always find that is wayyyy to late for me to get my "packing" list, I'm usually done packing by 25 days ahead. I want to know I have everything ready to go well before departure, the last thing I need to is to run around trying to shop for 4 people at the last minute because something doesn't fit, or I wasn't aware we'd need it!
I get why they do it...so many people would lose their docs if they sent them out much earlier.

Have a great trip!!
Old 04-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Last year, we had the option of a "Media Bag" if we didn't want the backpack. Since I already have 2 backpacks, I chose the Media Bag. It may be what they're calling the Adult laptop bag this year. I was hoping it would be a bit smaller, for an iPad. I don't carry a laptop except for work, and I have a rolling case for that.

Anyways, here's pictures of the Media Bag. Let me know if you want more/different pictures or any other details.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
Bobo912
DIS Veteran

I don't know what the options are this year, but last year the kid's non-backpack option was a game case. It was big enough to carry a DS, but not a laptop. If they are calling this year's option a child's laptop bag it must be something different.

Last edited by Bobo912; 04-29-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #13
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Last year, we had the option of a "Media Bag" if we didn't want the backpack. Since I already have 2 backpacks, I chose the Media Bag. It may be what they're calling the Adult laptop bag this year. I was hoping it would be a bit smaller, for an iPad. I don't carry a laptop except for work, and I have a rolling case for that.

Anyways, here's pictures of the Media Bag. Let me know if you want more/different pictures or any other details.

Sayhello
Thanks for the photos! That looks quite "murse -like" ( man purse) I think, DD will want something a little prettier and maybe quirkier for her laptop...we've got lots of opportunities with her birthday, Christmas and Graduation all coming up in the next year! The kids game console bag won't really work either, so I guess we will all go for pillow blankets!
Thanks!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
MickeyWatch
Mouseketeer

Thanks for posting all the photos. We are going on our first ABD trip in June (Backtage Magic). Will my daughter and I each get a backpack?

First Trip: Disneyland July 1965 with my grandparents
16th B-Day at the Contemporary in 1973
Many trips to WDW since then
DCL Mediterranean Cruise July 7, 2007
Margaret's 8th B-Day trip to the Poly, June 2008
Grand Floridian Nov. 2008, March 2009, November 2009
Disney's Inaugural Northern European Capitals Cruise June 12, 2010
MickeyWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #15
DisFan10
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Adult laptop bag
Child laptop bag

When we received our Booking Information documents to sign and return, one of the documents was the Travel Gift selection form, which we have to return no later than 90 days prior to travel.

The Adult Tote is described as "A chocolate brown, padded messenger bag that can be used to hold a lap-top, iPod, camera, and more! Dimensions: 41cm x 13cm x 30 cm". Or, 16" x 5" x 12".

The Blanket/Pillow is described as "A fleece throw that converts into a pillow. This is the perfect size to put in your bag/backpack for plane and bus rides. When blanket is unfolded, Adventures by Disney logo appears at lower right corner. Pillow Dimensions: 60cm x 40cm; Blanket Dimensions: 120cm x 150cm". Or, 24" x 16" and 47" x 59".
Cities of Knights & Lights - June 2010
Bella Italia - June 2009
Enchanted China - Sept 2008
Southwest Splendors - Sept 2007
Spirit of America - August 2007
DisFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: