Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #16
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feisty Fairy View Post
Thanks everyone. I just booked six nights with QSDP and PH and requested loop 1500 as it looks smaller, more secluded and closer to the boat, swimming pool, trading post etc.. Booked through AAA and was able to save some money . My agent called and put in the request and of course Disney can not grantee but said it should not be an issue. Everyone has been so helpful. Now only to get a tent. I already have a blow up mattress and blow up pillows with it. I am leaning toward an Quest Eagle Six person tent or a Quest Eagle four person tent. They look like they would fit our needs one you can stand in and one is sitting room only. There is also a Coleman about the same price but it had mixed reviews.

I think I have everything I need to bring except. A light source, a tent, a roll of paper towels for the trip and some Wet Ones maybe a small fan. That should not be that much.

PS Specs of the Quest Eagle Tent I am looking at. The only difference in the two are size.

HydraTek superior rain protection - additional water repellent application - increases both water shedding and drying capabilities
600mm waterproof coating
Bathtub style floor - elevates seams above the ground
Fly seams are taped to prevent seam leakage
Mesh windows keep out even the tiniest insects
2-pole design allows for fast setup
2 mesh storage pockets
Poles: 2
Type of poles: Shock-corded fiberglass
Fly included
Gear loft included
Before towing a condo on wheels, we backpacked, canoe camped, and tent camped/car camped. And my .02 would be to get the tent that you can stand up in, so much easier for changing clothes! I'm short, so even our A frame backpacking tent allowed me to stand almost straight, but no way for DH...he was thrilled when we got our "circus tent" and he was able to stand to put his pants on!
1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #17
Feisty Fairy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinU View Post
Before towing a condo on wheels, we backpacked, canoe camped, and tent camped/car camped. And my .02 would be to get the tent that you can stand up in, so much easier for changing clothes! I'm short, so even our A frame backpacking tent allowed me to stand almost straight, but no way for DH...he was thrilled when we got our "circus tent" and he was able to stand to put his pants on!
Thanks. That is the way I am leaning there is a 30 dollar difference between the two sizes.

Comparison of Brand:

Coleman:

The Coleman ® River Gorge 6 Dome Tent is the perfect shelter for a family camping trip or if you just want a little more room to stretch out. With enough room to sleep 6 people, it can accommodate 2 queen-size airbeds. At a max height of 6 feet, most adults can stand and get dressed comfortably. You'll be protected from the rain with the Coleman ® WeatherTec ™ System, which is guaranteed to keep you dry.

FEATURES:

Sleeps 6
Freestanding for easy setup
WeatherTec ™ System keeps you dry
450mm waterproofing
Rainfly vents for extra ventilation
Fits 2 queen airbeds
Room to stand - 72" center height

Specifications:

Interior size: 132" x 108" x 72"
11' x 9' footprint
Peak height: 72"
Floor: Polyethylene

Quest Eagle:
Only at DICK'S. If you enjoy camping with a group, the Quest Eagle Peak 6 Person Tent is for you! Perfect for an outdoor expedition with friends or family, the 10' x 10' floor area will sleep six people. In case of a rainstorm, the taped fly seams, 600 mm waterproof coating and bathtub-style floor will keep you dry. HydraTek rain protection offers the additional protection of water shedding and drying capabilities. A gear loft is included.

FEATURES:

Sleeps 6
HydraTek superior rain protection - additional water repellent application - increases both water shedding and drying capabilities
600mm waterproof coating
2 mesh storage pockets
Fly included
Gear loft included

Specifications:

Interior size: 120" x 120" x 76"
Floor area: 10' x 10'
Peak height: 76"
Fly and wall fabric: HydraTek polyester-polyurethane coating
Durable polyester mesh
Floor fabric: Ripstop woven polyethylene
Carry weight: 14 lbs 8 oz

Quest Eagle Smaller Tent:

Only at DICK'S. The Quest Eagle Peak 4 Person Tent is a great choice for your next camping trip with friends or family. Taped fly seams, waterproof coating, bathtub-style floor and HydraTek rain protection all keep you safe from the elements, while mesh windows will keep unwelcome insects from crashing your party. The 2-pole design makes setup a snap.

FEATURES:

Sleeps 4
600mm waterproof coating
2 mesh storage pockets
Fly included
Gear loft included

Specifications:

Interior size: 96" x 84" x 52"
Floor area: 8' x 7'
Peak height: 52"
Fly and wall fabric: HydraTek polyester-polyurethane coating
Durable polyester mesh
Floor fabric: Ripstop woven polyethylene
Carry weight: 8 lbs

The Coleman is the most expensive but seems lesser quality according to the specs than the Dick's brand Quest Eagle tent. What are good prices for these size tents? And which one would you go with seasoned campers? I know Disney World but I know nothing of tents
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #18
scoutmom3
Earning My Ears

If it was me, I would choose the larger tent. My experience has been that a 4 person tent is a little crowded for 2 people when you add your air mattress ect. Have a great time. Fort Wilderness is awesome!
scoutmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #19
KristinU
DIS Veteran

I agree with Scoutmom, go as big as you can for car camping (well, within reason.) As she said, the number of people listed is literally the amount that can be jammed in side by side in sleeping bags.

Some things to consider: will you be camping a bit going forward? What types of climates/terrain? One thing we really valued in tents was some space to put things like muddy shoes/boots etc. that was under cover in case of rain. Even our backpacking tent has an additional vestibule thing that attaches outside the door, and the space is really handy to keep stuff sheltered. Another thing that we liked in our "circus tent " (a 3-room Coleman Dome tent) is the screen ceiling in the main section. Nice for hot dry nights.
1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #20
WDWFWfan
Dreaming of Disney...

I have camped all my life in everything from tents to 5th Wheels. I have also been to the Fort on many occasions, so let me try to answer address all your concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feisty Fairy View Post

Questions: The first questions and most important to me are in regards to the comfort stations:
A-COMFORT STATIONS
1.) Is that how clean are the comfort station? Compared to other campground comfort stations, they are incredibly clean and nice. The CS's in the tent loops always tend to be a little more crowded than others, but nothing that would make me think that they are dirty.
2.) Is the showers separate and private? Yes. The actual shower stall is tile and goes from floor to about 7-8' high, it is separated by a curtain from the private changing area which has partitions and a solid door. There you will find a bench, hooks, etc. There's also a nice "public bench" and hooks outside the showers. One thing I would recommend (since you are new to this) is always take flip flops, sandals, etc. to protect your feet anytime you use a public shower - athletes foot)
3.) Do the showers have hooks in the private part for you to hang your cloths where they will not get wet? Yes, see above.
4.) How do you work towels and wash cloths? I am guessing bath soap and shampoo/conditioner is best to bring gel or liquid kind? Towels can hang on a hook in the changing area. Inside the shower there is an small area built into the wall where you can place your soap, shampoo, etc. This area sometimes has soap residue from the previous guest so I recommend something to keep your soap off the surface. (I use a plastic soap box)
5.) Is there a place to sanitarily put in my contact and then take them out at night? Any experiences with that, tips? No problems, the sink area is sufficient for this, though you might need to wipe some water off the counter first (it's typically very clean though)
6.) Brushing teeth and makeup is there mirrors to do this and some sink space? Yes, plenty of mirrors and sink space
7.) I am assuming comfort stations are separate male and female?Of course, men and women each have separate areas with separate entrances (and they require a room key to enter after a certain time at night). Both of these areas are contained within the same building and are separated by a nice laundromat in the middle.
B-PRIVACY:
1.) How private is each campsite? It really depends on the site that you are assigned. Some have no privacy and others are a little better, but none are "private." In other words, all the sites are relatively close to one another.
2.) are things safe in your tent. Could I leave my tent up with my things in it such as toiletries and cloths? To a certain extent. In the past the great thing about camping is that most people are very respectful of you and your possessions (campers really are a different breed ). I would have no problems leaving toiletries, clothes, etc. in the tent (always away from the walls...rain can soak through if anything is touching). However, anything of greater value...computers, nice cameras, etc., I would lock in my car just to be safe.
C-WALKING and TRANSPORTATION:
1.) How much walking is there? As much as you want, or as little as you want. You will have to walk from your site to the bus stop (which can be close or further away - 100 feet - 1/4 mile?). Other than that, a bus will take you wherever you go. Hint...take bicycles if you can...cheap and lots of fun for "looping"
2.) How is the transportation compared to the value resorts in getting to the parks and Downtown? I know you take the boat to the Magic Kingdom and Contemporary and at the Marina location I believe there is a bus to Wilderness Lodge. At the other bus location is buses to the other three parks and Downtown Disney. Bus service is comparable. In my experience buses are a little less crowded, but less frequent (just my observation) plus you also have to take a bus to one of the two outposts (you can walk...but it's a long walk). Overall, expect it to take a little longer than your used to. Often times, we just drive to our destination. Then at the end of the day you can park 10 feet from your "room." How cool is that?
D-EATING:
1.) Is there any places nearby that excepts QSDP? What types of food can you get with DP if so? If I were on a budget, I would not do QSDP at the Fort. There is not a QS restaurant at Fort Wilderness other than the snack bar at the pool. Plus...dining plans are never free at the fort.
E-THINGS NEEDED:
1. What all are must haves?
List of what I think :
-Blow Up Mattress
-Blankets
-Pillows
-Tent
-Shampoo/Conditioner
-Bath Soap
-Towels/Wash Cloths
-Contact/Glasses Solution
-Alarm Clock
-Lantern
-Cloths
-Bags for Dirty Laundry
-Flops or Crocs for shower
Tarp/screen room to cover picnic table and maybe even the tent. Power cords, fans, clothes lines (I know...shoot me now ), air pump, tarp to protect tent bottom, chairs, beach towels, bicycles, charcoal and lighter, cooking supplies, table cover, cameras, etc.
Did I miss anything?
F-Special Activities:
1.) What are the special activities not to miss? Depends on the person and place in WDW. There's too much to consider here. You mean at the Fort? I like to watch fireworks at the beach, electrical water pageant, sing along, and I love just going in the trading post, walking around and enjoying the atmosphere!
2.)The Chip and Dale campfire seems really neat in May what time do they do this?
G- TENT:
1.) Is it possible to get a two person tent that I will not get soaked in if it rains for under $40, any recommendations? We will not be in it much as we plan on the most part besides a few activities at the resort we will be at the parks from opening to closing. Don't cheap out here...you will regret it. Keep clothing blankets, etc. away from the walls of the tent, when it rains they can wick water through the tent walls. Set up the tent at home and check for water "proofness" you might need to seal the seams, etc.
H-CRITTERS:
1.) Are unwanted critters such as snacks, mice and bugs bad at the campsites? Lots of critters at all campgrounds, everywhere (you are in their domain) - but they don't seem to be as bad at FW (never seen a mouse for example...at least not the creepy kind ). The general rule of thumb when tenting is to always store any item a critter might deem as food away from the tent (in the car at FW) this includes food and most personal hygiene products (toothpaste, deodorant, basically anything that has an odor). One chewed hole through the tent wall will ruin a vacation in a hurry...ask me how I know...it involves a skunk

I am sure I am forgetting to ask something but I will leave at this. Sorry so many questions but I am a first time camper.
The main thing is have fun, try not to tent camp in the summer and you will be fine...you will love the Fort!

Last edited by WDWFWfan; 04-20-2012 at 09:55 AM.
WDWFWfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #21
CommaHolly
Earning My Ears

I grew up in Massachusetts and now live in Florida, 30 minutes from DW. It was nice to hear WICKED again LOL.

made me homesick there for a minute.

I havent tent camped in a while, but on Friday, DH and I are taking the pup over to FW for 2 nights,,,,,,,it's the maiden voyage in our new pup, and we've never been to FW either (Yep, me, the travel agent has stayed in most of the hotels, but NEVER the camp ground, which is odd, because we LOVE to camp!)

I would like to add a few things to your list of MUSTS,,,,,,,,at least they are musts for me!

a first aid kit with bandages, antibiotic cream, hydrogen peroxide and CALAMINE LOTION. Toss a few cotton balls in a baggie too, while your're at it LOL. Benedryl is nice to have too, just in case you wind up with poison ivy or something,,,,,,FW IS woodsy.

sun block and aloe vera gel for any sun burns

advil, tylenol or whatever pain reliever you like. Nothing like a headache or other pain at 3am.

a cooler is really a fantastic thing to have, and if you have a vehicle, I recommend locking the cooler in the trunk at night. Although this isn't bear country, you really don't want your tent to smell like food if some little pesky racoons come visiting!

Hope that helps, and hope you have a fantastic time!
CommaHolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #22
storyteller
Driving not flying, It's hard to read the street signs from that far up!

Have a blast.. there is always somebody at the fort willing to help. Enjoy.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #23
Feisty Fairy
DIS Veteran

Thanks for everyone for all your help. My TA at AAA has never had anyone stay at the campsites only the cabins so you have been most helpful to a newbie at camping. Here is pictures of my new baby. I do not have the fly all the way staked down in the pictures.

It took us about two hours to put it up our first time ever putting one up but that is because we had to move it twice because it would not fit were we were originally going to assemble it. I think I have everything I need except for a fan/light I want to get from k-mart.

PS yes the yard need cut everyday my husband has been off it has been raining. Plus lawn mower needs some work done on it.

I also got a tarp to but on the floor for extra security. IT is an 8x10 Tarp and the tent is 10x10.

Last edited by Feisty Fairy; 04-27-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Feisty Fairy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #24
Napria
Gotta get back to the nexus

You sound as excited as I was when I bought our first tent and started our camping adventures. That was 10 years ago and we quickly moved from a tent to a popup and then to a fifth wheel. We've never regretted a moment! You're going to have a ball! Congratulations an welcome to the wonderful world of camping!

(and don't forget your toothbrushes and toothpaste.)

Polynesian July 2013 Ft. Wilderness May 2012 Off property March 2012 Ft. Wilderness June 2011 Ft. Wilderness June 2009 Ocala Camping April 2008 Ft. Wilderness January 2007 Tropical Palms RV Resort December 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge & Beach Club Villas December 2003 Wilderness Lodge Villas December 2002 Boardwalk Villas December 2001 Ft. Wilderness February 1981
Napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #25
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Congrats on your new tent, Feisty! Looks great!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #26
SDecker
Earning My Ears

Towel Question

Feisty had great questions, and she asked many questions I had as well, but one question I have wondered about is towels at the pool. We have stayed at several WDW resorts and most have towels at the pool, is this the case at FW? I know I am taking our big beach towels anyways for our September trip, but extra at the pool is always great, less to dry at the site.
SDecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #27
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

No towels at the pool.

Welcome to The Dis and camping board.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #28
Sinclare
DIS Veteran

We tent camp every year (except last) at the fort and wouldn't do it any other way. Here are a few tips that we do:

Electric cord to run into your tent (25ft will usually do for 2 people) and something to divide out the outlets for multiple devices (recharging phones, etc)

Heater (yes I know it sounds weird but we use one at night in the tents in the summer. All tents now days have the whole mesh/open air thing going on under the rain fly. Especially on rainy nights, if you don't have something to knock off the dampness in the tent, everything on the inside will be damp in the morning. plus I just like to be warm)

Air mattress: we use one with a internal pump (double high), you'll sleep better and wake up ready to hit the parks.

Since you are just 2 people, try to get 1500 loop. It has smaller camp sites but is closer to the pool and has more pop-ups/campers in the area (read it's more quiet). 2000 loop which we use has huge pads for tents (we put 2 11*17 tents plus a 10*10 canopy on ours) which means it generally gets larger groups of people and is more active. It's also close to the group camping area so in cases where you have say *cheerleaders* doing training camp..you will hear cheers going on till midnight.

As others have said, use common sense with what you leave in your tent. I've never had anything missing from a site (with exception of a few pops missing from the cooler) but lock electronics/expensive things in your car when you're gone.

Comfort stations are very busy in the morning so if you want to be in the parks early, plan on getting up early to get ready or for lazy days just wait till about 9 and the rush will be over.
----------------------------------
2005 Father & Son BIG 2 week getaway! June 3rd-17th; 2005 Father & Son MNSSHP Trip; Oct. 10-13th.
-----------------------------------------
2006 Father & Son & Family BIG 2 week getaway! June 3rd – June 17th; 2006 Father & Son MNSSHP Camping at FW Oct. 7th – 14th
2007 Fort Wilderness Trip. June 16-July 3rd - 2008 Fort Wilderness Trip. May 31-June 18th
2009 Fort Wilderness Trip. June 27-July 14th 2010 Fort Wilderness Trip. June 12-June 26th 2012 Fort Wilderness Trip. June 30-July 15th

Sinclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #29
Feisty Fairy
DIS Veteran

I got back from my trip Monday. It pretty good for my first time camping. It earned all the first four-five days we were there including four nights of rain. Good news is my tent can be said to be waterproof as it has been from the official test. Here are a couple of pics of my tent and site we winded up in the 2000 loop but got a site start across from the comfort station bonus. It was only noisy two of the seven the nights. Caught Wishes and Electrical Parade from the beach it was better than being in the park for them. Caught the campfire with Chip and Dale twice (awesome). And went horseback riding for the first time. I rode Bugsy.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #30
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Welcome Home

F2,

I'm glad to hear your tent held up in the rains.

What was your site number? (which CS were you near?)

Tell us more about why you like the singalong/movie time?

How many days did you spend in the Parks versus not in the Parks?

Thanks for the update!

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)
plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 175
bama_ed is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: