Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > DIS Adventures by Disney Trips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #496
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapwhitey View Post
That's kinda my opinion Frank. I've only done 1 ABD (underachiever) but I think I will cherish our OYO time.

I really believe some of the most memorable experiences will be the trouble we get into while just exploring aimlessly.
The other nice thing is that the Adventure Guides are a wealth of information! They can tell you all about tons of options for things to do with your OYO time. In Paris, Landon & Adam suggested I check out the Basilica du Sacré-Coeur, and gave me directions on where to catch the Metro and what station to get off at (plus providing me with a map). I had a wonderful time walking up there, checking out the Basilica and the surrounding hill, and the amazing views. Totally unplanned!

And yes, the impromptu group walk to the Arc du Triomphe, followed by drinks at a small cafe on the Champs-elysees was a definite highlight of the trip, and also totally unplanned!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #497
NYC MM
Working for Vacations

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
Hey Folks,

Besides the "on your own" afternoon in Florence scheduled by ABD, John and I will be offering the chance to spend the "day at the resort in Tuscany" in Florence as well.

We are working with ABD on the transportation details, but you will have the chance to spend an entire day in Florence doing whatever interests you.

This will be in addition to the regularly scheduled afternoon.

Kevin
I'm kind of a planner and being busy and doing and going is part of my nature..I feel that I sometimes have to have every minute planned in my vacation to feel productive ..now having said that .. I think that I am going to really try to Stop and Smell the Roses or Coffee or whatever it smells like in Italy and try to wander and enjoy the OYO time. ...At least there are many of you that have "been " there before ..So you can help me plan the free time ...I'm trying !

Micki
NYC MM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #498
stenogoddess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circusgirl View Post

The Borghese would be on the free afternoon of day three, the 26th. They sell tickets for two hour visits, so at any given time there are a set number of people visiting. 3:00 or 5:00 are the two potential start times. The Gallery is about a 20 minute walk from our hotel.

Glad you're finally getting somewhere with your PT!
Heather: Loving the idea of the Borghese for this day. Are you set for sure on doing it, or are you still kicking it around? Let me know!
Old 04-28-2012, 01:33 AM   #499
Circusgirl
Queen of the Moisture Festival
ALLORA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenogoddess View Post
Heather: Loving the idea of the Borghese for this day. Are you set for sure on doing it, or are you still kicking it around? Let me know!
I am set on this, and would be super happy to go together. The tickets will be about $20.00, so not so costly that we couldn't change our minds at the last minute if some other more fabulous opportunity arises. It looks like it will be a nice stroll to and from the hotel, and of all the myriad of things to see it is on the top of my list of things not covered with ABD. For the 3:00 admission we would need to arrive around 2:30, and for the 5 pm around 4:30. What do you think?
Circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #500
slapwhitey

Mouseketeer

See....this is what I mean by unprepared. I don't even know what Borghese is. When I try to think of my OYO planning I never seem to make it past Gelato and fresh bread, cheese and meat.

Everyone has their own priorities I guess. I need to find the food and beverage museum.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #501
stenogoddess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am set on this, and would be super happy to go together. The tickets will be about $20.00, so not so costly that we couldn't change our minds at the last minute if some other more fabulous opportunity arises. It looks like it will be a nice stroll to and from the hotel, and of all the myriad of things to see it is on the top of my list of things not covered with ABD. For the 3:00 admission we would need to arrive around 2:30, and for the 5 pm around 4:30. What do you think?
Awesome! I really wanted to see the sculpture, etc, here. I know we have the Vatican stuff in the morning and then lunch, so maybe the 5:00 time just to be on the safe side? BUT it looks like the museum closes at 7:30. Do we think two 1/2 hours is enough to get through? You take pictures of 1/2 and I'll take pictures of the other 1/2 and then we'll get through no problem! I think the museum is on some pretty nice grounds, too, which will be nice. Any chance to see some greenery!

Have included Wiki link just in case anyone is interested and wanted a quick read up on the museum and grounds. LOVE Wiki!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galleria_Borghese

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_Borghese_gardens

In other news: Had MAJOR breakthrough in PT yesterday. Brian (PT guy) was finally able to find out exactly what's wrong with me and was able to recreate the pain in my arm. We've been working on my arm for a while and making some small progress, but now that we've zeroed in on where exactly the problem originates I find that I'm...um...well, less than thrilled. Since this is a family board. You can read what you like into my ellipses. Apparently my arm pain is a symptom of what's wrong and tennis elbow is not actually my problem. My actual problem is my C5/6 disc in my neck is protruding/bulging/blown out/looks like a smashed jelly doughnut. Awesome!

Now I realize that in the overall scope of things this is not so bad. With some PT things and good self-management (easier said than done) I'll keep on keeping on. I don't even get a handicapped parking sticker for my car. Bummer. So I need to get my big girl pants on. I know it. But following on the heels of finding out that I can't dye my hair my nice dark brown anymore because I've developed an acute reaction to hair dye that could actually kill me I'm just feeling a bit, oh, I don't know, what's the word, hmmm, old? Dude, I'm way too cute for gray hair! Now I have a bulging disc and grey hair, bleh! I say bleh to that!!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #502
DSNYDREAMER
Cruising with Unlimited Dreams
Ring of fire! Ring of fire!

Lauren your "cuteness" and downright awesomeness, radiates from within. You would be beautiful with grey hair, blue hair or even know hair at all!!!!

Now the old thing--well that I can't help with. We are getting old, no denying it!

DSNYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #503
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
But following on the heels of finding out that I can't dye my hair my nice dark brown anymore because I've developed an acute reaction to hair dye that could actually kill me I'm just feeling a bit, oh, I don't know, what's the word, hmmm, old?
I think you could pull of the "short spiky hair with IMPORTANT earrings" look.

You know what I mean....the "I make folk jewelry in my kiln and weave traditional fabrics on my loom and sell them at craft fairs" look.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #504
skunkvette
You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYDREAMER View Post
Lauren your "cuteness" and downright awesomeness, radiates from within. You would be beautiful with grey hair, blue hair or even know hair at all!!!!

Now the old thing--well that I can't help with. We are getting old, no denying it!
Lauren, continued good luck and progress with PT, those people can be great at what they do.

I have three PT sessions a week and each one moves me closer to getting on that plane on 5/23/12.

On the "old" issue, I am currently debating which to bring with me to Italy - a cane or a walking stick.

I recall the old days when the decision before a big trip was whether or not to bring a bathing suit and a cork screw.

Life moves on with us in tow.

Enjoy the ride!
skunkvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #505
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Oh, please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkvette View Post
walking stick
You won't be the only one with a "walking stick". . . .
Old 04-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #506
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
Oh, please.

You won't be the only one with a "walking stick". . . .
Mine folds.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #507
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
Mine folds.
..and he can beat people with it!!

k5jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #508
Circusgirl
Queen of the Moisture Festival
ALLORA!!!

Quote:
Awesome! I really wanted to see the sculpture, etc, here. I know we have the Vatican stuff in the morning and then lunch, so maybe the 5:00 time just to be on the safe side? BUT it looks like the museum closes at 7:30. Do we think two 1/2 hours is enough to get through? You take pictures of 1/2 and I'll take pictures of the other 1/2 and then we'll get through no problem! I think the museum is on some pretty nice grounds, too, which will be nice. Any chance to see some greenery!

Have included Wiki link just in case anyone is interested and wanted a quick read up on the museum and grounds. LOVE Wiki!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galleria_Borghese

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_Borghese_gardens

In other news: Had MAJOR breakthrough in PT yesterday. Brian (PT guy) was finally able to find out exactly what's wrong with me and was able to recreate the pain in my arm. We've been working on my arm for a while and making some small progress, but now that we've zeroed in on where exactly the problem originates I find that I'm...um...well, less than thrilled. Since this is a family board. You can read what you like into my ellipses. Apparently my arm pain is a symptom of what's wrong and tennis elbow is not actually my problem. My actual problem is my C5/6 disc in my neck is protruding/bulging/blown out/looks like a smashed jelly doughnut. Awesome!

Now I realize that in the overall scope of things this is not so bad. With some PT things and good self-management (easier said than done) I'll keep on keeping on. I don't even get a handicapped parking sticker for my car. Bummer. So I need to get my big girl pants on. I know it. But following on the heels of finding out that I can't dye my hair my nice dark brown anymore because I've developed an acute reaction to hair dye that could actually kill me I'm just feeling a bit, oh, I don't know, what's the word, hmmm, old? Dude, I'm way too cute for gray hair! Now I have a bulging disc and grey hair, bleh! I say bleh to that!!!!
Let's plan on the 5:00 entry time for the Borghese. They only let people in for two hours at a time and clear the museum between groups so we've got two hours whenever we do it. Anybody else interested?

Now, in terms of the grey hair thing, it is a super big drag to encounter these moments of change along the way that we can't control, but you've got STYLE, girl, and that is way more important than anything else. Think Carmen Dell'Orefice...At 80 she may even be more beautiful than in her younger years. You'll be wowing them for many years to come...
I'm glad you at least know what your diagnosis is, so you can really target your therapy in the right way.
Circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #509
apurplebrat

Turning the whole world purple!

Quote:
Let's plan on the 5:00 entry time for the Borghese. They only let people in for two hours at a time and clear the museum between groups so we've got two hours whenever we do it. Anybody else interested?

Now, in terms of the grey hair thing, it is a super big drag to encounter these moments of change along the way that we can't control, but you've got STYLE, girl, and that is way more important than anything else. Think Carmen Dell'Orefice...At 80 she may even be more beautiful than in her younger years. You'll be wowing them for many years to come...
I'm glad you at least know what your diagnosis is, so you can really target your therapy in the right way.

Me & mom would be interested in doing Borghese!

Grey hair is totally in style now! Kelly Osbornes has been coloring hers grey/purple

Glad the PT seems to be going better
Old 04-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #510
Chropistopy
DIS Veteran

I would like to join those going to Villa Borghese. I think I want to just explore the gardens though. Perhaps I can accompany you guys, then plan to meet up with you at the end of your tour of the museum.

So, it really hit me that we only have three weeks. I still have so much to do. I did do a bit of shopping today. I was able to mark some things off of my list. YAY!!!

Chropistopy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: