Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Hong Kong Disneyland
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #736
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Wow your Adventureland photos are so crowded! Amazing what a difference a couple of weeks makes!

And how weird that they have 360 degree seating for the Lion King, but the show is clearly only meant for one side of the audience...

I wonder why the waterfall wasn't going when you were there. It was a nice feature.

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (Howard Johnson & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HK Disneyland Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) with HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:51 AM   #737
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie82 View Post
REALLY appreciate you getting these snaps...[/IMG]
My mission in life is fulfilled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
Betweeen fire, steam, butts, and b.o. you really got behind the scenes.
Thanks for the pics of the tree house, I havent been in the tree house since the 70's at DL . I forgot what it was like. Why dont I remember Jane sitting in a chair? Is there a Tom Sawyer Island there? If so and you went , I will be paitent for it. I am certainly glad you didnt get crushed in the mob, even more so your parents, its a good thing they werent there. Sorry , the snack is foreign to me. I think with all that humidity I would of had to have a few mickey head....er bars....
Tarzan Treehouse is located on the equivalent of Tom Sawyer island.

And as for the snack....it is a snack that I LOVED as a child .... and still do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Hmmmm....I gotta say, not that I don't think you were lucky to make the trip...but I don't think I will ever be making it to HKDL. I haven't seen anything that makes me think there's something I can't see in a better version 10,000 miles closer to home. (This is unlikely Tokyo Disneyland/Sea which might be enough to someday get me to venture to the orient.)

However, this makes me enjoy your TR even more, knowing I will probably never go there.
Well.....we really started this trip as a holiday to Hong Kong, which just so happens to have a Disneyland there. I suspect that once Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Point is opened, HKDL will actually have something a little more unique to offer. Afterall, Disneyland is certainly different from when it first opened; as is WDW.

I hope you stick around for the Hong Kong side of the report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
I love seeing some of the things that are the same and some of the things that are different between the parks. I like the title Rivers of Adventure better than the Jungle Cruise and think it is cool they have fire in it at HKDL. The cave looks like a mean old bullfrog. I know that is probably not the animal they were going for. The island looks cooler than Dl and WDW. I have to see it myself someday to see if it is just that your pictures are so lovely or if it really is nicer. I cannot stop laughing at all of the butt shots you got at the FotLK. I wonder why they played most of the show to one side of the audience. That is odd. No wonder you needed so much memory. I was going through our first MK day, and I noticed DH barely took any pictures. That's what I get for putting him in charge of the camera while I took care of Connor.

Mean old bullfrog is about right.

Next time you go to Disney, put your DH in charge of Connor (hope he's getting better) and you can take the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
So here i thought I got all caught up before I went to bed, but I was too tired to comment intelligently, so I waited until today and now another update!
Take care of yourself. You need all the energy you have for WDW (not long now)!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
Wow your Adventureland photos are so crowded! Amazing what a difference a couple of weeks makes!

And how weird that they have 360 degree seating for the Lion King, but the show is clearly only meant for one side of the audience...

I wonder why the waterfall wasn't going when you were there. It was a nice feature.

And I'll bet it went back to being less busy two weeks after we were there.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2012, 12:53 AM   #738
PrincessInOz
in

Up Close and Personal with the FotLK

I was back in the Theatre of the Wild for my second shooting of Festival of the Lion King. After scoping out the lay of the land yesterday, I knew I needed to be in a particular section of the theatre. Despite having seats available all around, the performers pretty much only faced two directions.

So, I headed for what I considered the prime viewing area and got me a decent seat.

I’d gotten seats in the 3rd row, right by the aisle and because of the way the seats were staggered, I had an unencumbered view of the performers on stage. I’d also already decided that I was shooting with telezoom lens for this performance so I was pretty much all set. This was my chance to get up close and personal with the FotLK.

There will be not much further commentary in this post….I’ll just let the pictures do it for me. And I’m also grouping them based on performer, rather than in sequential order.

The Floats

Rafiki

The Translation Monkeys

Scar

(Continued in Next Post)

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 04-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #739
PrincessInOz
in

(Continued from Previous Post)

Simba

Nala

Timon

Group shots

(Continued in Next Post)

Old 04-28-2012, 12:58 AM   #740
PrincessInOz
in

(Continued from Previous Post)

Aerialist

Fire Dancers

Cast and Chorus

Individual Costumes

Hope you enjoy these pictures as much as I enjoyed taking them!

Old 04-28-2012, 03:03 AM   #741
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Awesome pics! Glad you had a bit better spot this time around!

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (Howard Johnson & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HK Disneyland Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) with HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #742
simzac
DIS Veteran
Watched over by the Tag Fairy

Terrific TR and even better photos. One question if I may. Do you ever feel you missed out on seeing everything you could see because you were always shooting photos. I for one like to take everyting in, and keep a mental record of what I saw. Taking pictures always makes me feel like I'm missing half of the trip. Hope you truly had time to enjoy the vacation also. Thanks again for a great TR. Only took me 10 days to get caught up to this point. Can't wait to enjoy the rest of it. Bill

DIS DAD MEMBER #672
simzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #743
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

I love the lion king production... Beautiful pictures...

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #744
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Glad you got a better view of the show. Lovely shots. The aerialist shot is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simzac View Post
Do you ever feel you missed out on seeing everything you could see because you were always shooting photos. I for one like to take everyting in, and keep a mental record of what I saw. Taking pictures always makes me feel like I'm missing half of the trip.
My husband feels the exact same way you do. I've heard him complain about this before. I love taking a lot of pictures, and he loves enjoying the moment. Stupidly, I allowed him to be in charge of the camera last trip (since carrying and nursing our baby) kept me busy. Reviewing the pictures, there were days where he barely took photos at all. He will never be in charge of the camera again even though he is better at taking pictures than I am.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #745
aussietravellers
who LOVE disney holidays!

Location: Australia or Austria... they are the same place aren't they?

Have just caught up on the TR.

The shots of FOTLK are awesome!

Oh and I'm still singing the Small World song in my head too by the way, read that pages back
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2009 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
aussietravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #746
jacs1234
DIS Veteran

I've really enjoyed your TR and photos. Thank you so much for taking the time to do it. We hope to mak it to HKDL one day. Planning a trip to Paris with a stopover in Hk but waiting for our money tree to bloom. I must try your trick of the water from the fountain of youth.
So is 3 days enough in HKDL?
Old 04-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #747
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

As always fantastic pictures! Even though you take the photo's it seems you still enjoy what you are photographing.

Justice For Travis
usnuzuloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #748
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
Awesome pics! Glad you had a bit better spot this time around!
Thanks! I was glad to have a better spot this time round too. No heads in the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simzac View Post
Terrific TR and even better photos. One question if I may. Do you ever feel you missed out on seeing everything you could see because you were always shooting photos. I for one like to take everyting in, and keep a mental record of what I saw. Taking pictures always makes me feel like I'm missing half of the trip. Hope you truly had time to enjoy the vacation also. Thanks again for a great TR. Only took me 10 days to get caught up to this point. Can't wait to enjoy the rest of it. Bill
Hey! It's another DisDad!

Thanks for making your way out of the man cave and all the way over here. I really appreciate it.
10 days to catch up???? I appreciate the staying power even more!

Your question is something that I seem to get asked a LOT....especially if I'm not in the Dis photoboard subforum.
I don't think that I miss out on the mental record. Especially at Disney....where I'm usually doing each attraction at least twice or 3 times. That's one of the things about taking pictures at Disney....totally repeatable and predictable in the rides and shows makes for perfect picture shooting practice. For me, that's half the fun. And my DH used to be the photographer in the family, so that makes 2 photonuts eager to be snappy happy.
Besides, I was conscious about being a good community Disboard member....and am considering this as part of community service.

I suspect that when we move on the Hong Kong side of things that you'll see the noticeable difference in picture volume. With Hong Kong, there were a lot of things that were new and different. So, we did take more time to enjoy the surrounds FIRST and then work out what pictures to take. There are less pictures in the Hong Kong section than at the Disney section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
I love the lion king production... Beautiful pictures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
Glad you got a better view of the show. Lovely shots. The aerialist shot is amazing.

My husband feels the exact same way you do. I've heard him complain about this before. I love taking a lot of pictures, and he loves enjoying the moment. Stupidly, I allowed him to be in charge of the camera last trip (since carrying and nursing our baby) kept me busy. Reviewing the pictures, there were days where he barely took photos at all. He will never be in charge of the camera again even though he is better at taking pictures than I am.
There is always a balance to be found between taking pictures and enjoying the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussietravellers View Post
Have just caught up on the TR.

The shots of FOTLK are awesome!

Oh and I'm still singing the Small World song in my head too by the way, read that pages back
Now look what you've done. I've just about managed to excise that song from my memory banks....and you dredge it up all over again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs1234 View Post
I've really enjoyed your TR and photos. Thank you so much for taking the time to do it. We hope to mak it to HKDL one day. Planning a trip to Paris with a stopover in Hk but waiting for our money tree to bloom. I must try your trick of the water from the fountain of youth.
So is 3 days enough in HKDL?
Hey Jacs! Nice to see you around. Been a while! Hope you and the family are well.

We stayed 3 nights at HKDL and had a 2 day pass to the park. A 2 day park pass is the maximum that they sell right now.

You can always buy a one day pass or a Magic Access (AP) pass....if you needed extra days.

Even with me taking heaps of photos i.e., extra time at some attractions, I found that we could pretty much cover the entire park in the 2 days. Of course it didn't help that our visit coincided with the Mainland Chinese holidays; but still...we managed.

The extra time allowed us to really enjoy the resort.

But I will say that making HKDL as the major destination stop is difficult to justify. If you're visiting HKDL because it is convenient as a stopover or as an addition to the HK trip, then that should be fine.

Of course, this will depend on whether Mystic Point and Grizzly Gulch live up to expectations or not; when they open.

I will be re-iterating this comment again in my next update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
As always fantastic pictures! Even though you take the photo's it seems you still enjoy what you are photographing.
Yes, I've got bitten by the photography bug.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #749
Aussie Wendy
DIS Veteran

Loving the show. Well I have to go to HKDL now-and DD has to come-LK is her favourite movie and the show just looks fantastic. We were rapt in the AK version and this looks even better since as you said it tells the story. Add Tarzan's Treehouse on an island-which is so much better a setting - and I'm sold. Sounds like we need to time it for after one or two of the new attractions are open..talking of which I now have to do some homework and read up more about them..but bed is calling with work tomorrow (sigh!)
TR Exploration Europe

Me DH DD:

Aussie Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #750
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Awesome pictures! As usual! I hope to be seeing that show in about 4-5 days! Thanks for getting me all excited!
Alison ~~~~ I do get to go to WDW this year! | Our Disney Dream Home| Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR |It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: