DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
TigBaby
New to DVC

OKW studio - near hospitality house or not?

Hi!

I'm a new member, and want to make a reservation for a studio for a couple of days in September at OKW. I can choose near hospitality house or not. Since I've never been there, would you please advise as to whether I'd want to be near it or not? Pros & cons? Very appreciated!
TigBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigBaby View Post
Hi!

I'm a new member, and want to make a reservation for a studio for a couple of days in September at OKW. I can choose near hospitality house or not. Since I've never been there, would you please advise as to whether I'd want to be near it or not? Pros & cons? Very appreciated!
HH area is my least favorite. I prefer SouthPoint or Millers Road, or even Turtle Pond. We prefer the leisure pools over the main pool. But if we want to head over to the HH area, it's an easy walk from anywhere.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

To each their own. I cannot imagine there would be a con to requesting HH. OKW is a HUGE resort. The only time we stayed there was several years ago - before there was a HH booking category. We ended up over in Miller's Road and I can tell you that we would NEVER, EVER stay at OKW again if we couldn't be guaranteed a HH location. What a horrid schelp that was to the main pool and the restaurants and even to the bus stop. We were in THE absolute furthest building possible so it even took several minutes just to walk to the closest bus stop. It was in August and when we walked back to our villa from the main pool we were all hot & sweaty again even though we'd just gotten out of the pool. (The closer quiet pool for our section was TOOOO quiet for our DS.) There was no direct path back to our villa from the HH. We attempted to cross the golf course late one night, in the dark and got caught in the sprinklers...then we couldn't find a place to cut thru the foilage. We just didn't want to make that darn walk again 'cuz the sidewalks took the long way around. It SEEMED like a good idea at the time. We were exhausted and had gotten off the bus at HH to try to find something to eat before we went back to our villa but everything was closed. It was a miserable experience for us and one we won't repeat any time soon.

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
TigBaby
New to DVC

Thanks for the the great comments. Since I'll be staying by myself, maybe staying closer to HH is a good idea so that I'm not wandering around in the dark all alone. Not that I ever worry about walking alone on Disney property, but might as well be a little cautious. Knowing me, I'd end up walking through the sprinklers too!
TigBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

We just returned from OKW, in HH category (building 16-is that HH?) We didn't ask for it, but at check-in, asked about the Miller's Road. If 16 is a HH building, it was very quiet, and I loved the convenience to the HH. Beautiful golf course view also.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
We just returned from OKW, in HH category (building 16-is that HH?) We didn't ask for it, but at check-in, asked about the Miller's Road. If 16 is a HH building, it was very quiet, and I loved the convenience to the HH. Beautiful golf course view also.
Building 16 is not included in the HH category. It is certainly close to the Hospoitality House, but is really in the Millers Road grouping of buildings.

HH includes Buildings 11-14 and 23-26.

IMO, Buildings 62-64, 15,16,17,18,26-29 are also close and convenient to HH.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
Nanajo1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal Annie View Post
To each their own. I cannot imagine there would be a con to requesting HH. OKW is a HUGE resort. The only time we stayed there was several years ago - before there was a HH booking category. We ended up over in Miller's Road and I can tell you that we would NEVER, EVER stay at OKW again if we couldn't be guaranteed a HH location. What a horrid schelp that was to the main pool and the restaurants and even to the bus stop. We were in THE absolute furthest building possible so it even took several minutes just to walk to the closest bus stop. It was in August and when we walked back to our villa from the main pool we were all hot & sweaty again even though we'd just gotten out of the pool. (The closer quiet pool for our section was TOOOO quiet for our DS.) There was no direct path back to our villa from the HH. We attempted to cross the golf course late one night, in the dark and got caught in the sprinklers...then we couldn't find a place to cut thru the foilage. We just didn't want to make that darn walk again 'cuz the sidewalks took the long way around. It SEEMED like a good
idea at the time. We were exhausted and had gotten off the bus at HH to try to find something to eat before we went back to our villa but everything was closed. It was a miserable experience for us and one we won't repeat any time soon.
You can hop on any out going bus to get to the main pool and any in coming bus to get back to your villa. There is an internal bus that makes a loop around the resort as well.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Offsite 5/78,CR 11/85,BWV 3/99,OKW 11/99, BWV 3/01,OKW 11/01, BWV 3/02, BWV 1/03, OKW 11/03, BWV 2/04, BWV 11/04, BWV 2/05, OKW 11/05, BWV 2/06, AKL 11/06, BWV 11/06, BWV 02/07,OKW 11/07, BWV 02/08, BWV 11/08, BWV 02/09, BWV 11/09,VWL 01/10,OKW 02/10,BWV 11/10, AKV 11/10,BLT 03/11,OKW 03/11,BWV 11/11,AKL 02/12,BWV 03/12, BWV 11/12,OKW 02/13,AKL 03/13, BWV 11/13,OKW 11/13, OKW 02/14,AKLK 03/14, OKW 10/14,BWV 10/14
[url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][img]http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/1l5laeked1k6rb
Nanajo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Caren
Yo ho, yo ho...

We only book HH if we have kids along. When it's just my husband and me, we prefer the Turtle Pond area and the quiet pool, but when the 10-year-old nephew is along, we prefer HH area for the main pool and the kids' activities.
Caren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
Duffy Lover
My Babies Love Their Disney Bears

The #1 reason I think that villas near HH are great is due to the buses. You can hop on the bus at the last pick up spot just in front of the HH, but on the way home from a busy day at the park you could get off at the first drop off spot at the Peninsular Road. We stayed at OKW during spring break last year, in a GV at Miller Road, and even in the morning before parks opening the buses weren't crowded.

Only 47 more days and me and my girls will be in at OKW in a 2BR in the HH area!!

CR '80 ** POLY '84 ** FW '91 ** POFQ '04~Last trip w/Gramps ** POP '07~E's 1st Trip ** GF & SOG '08~(Not My)Disney Wedding ** POFQ '08~BIG Family Vacation ** POP '09~Just the Girls ** BCV '10~1 Night @WDW ** OKW GV '11~C's 1st Trip ** BLT/OKW '12~Surprise For My Girls ** SSR '14 ~ 60 Hours of WDW** 2014 ~ BCV/OKW/VGF! A Two Week Grand Villa Extravaganza!! (Link to the Trip Report)
Duffy Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
KS_Disney_Dad
I am Keyser Soze

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

We were near the Turtle Pond snack shack and it was great. We felt like we were the only one's there. Pool and laundry facilities were just steps away which were huge pluses for our family.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterDoc View Post
Building 16 is not included in the HH category. It is certainly close to the Hospoitality House, but is really in the Millers Road grouping of buildings.

IMO, Buildings 62-64, 15,16,17,18,26-29 are also close and convenient to HH.
Thanks! Frankly I'm thrilled to know that. Buildings 15 and 16 are now our two favorite, and if one were HH and the other not, it would make it difficult to book, request HH area or not, and request one of those two buildings. KWIM? I agree that buildings 15-18 are so convenient!
Old 04-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
dvcbrad
dvcbrad

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigBaby View Post
Thanks for the the great comments. Since I'll be staying by myself, maybe staying closer to HH is a good idea so that I'm not wandering around in the dark all alone. Not that I ever worry about walking alone on Disney property, but might as well be a little cautious. Knowing me, I'd end up walking through the sprinklers too!
I was at OKW in early March by myself, too. I knew that for most things I would want to do that I would most likely want the boat to DTD. I took the boat over for drinks & dinner, and for carryout dinners. I played golf at LBV and did a combo of walk over, boat to DTD for post golf drink & cigar, and boat back to OKW. Because of that, I requested HH category, couldn't get it (it was a last minute planned trip), so then requested buildings 15, 16, and 62 - 64. I got 15, and it was about perfect. Nice view and about a 3 minute walk to HH.

Have fun. I certainly did.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #13
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanajo1 View Post
You can hop on any out going bus to get to the main pool and any in coming bus to get back to your villa. There is an internal bus that makes a loop around the resort as well.
Oh don't EVEN get me started on the buses at OKW!! We've never waited so long for a bus before anywhere. Took a full hour 1 night for 1 to come along for the MK. A full hour. I am certain that the quickest bus we ever caught was a 20 min. wait. You know how sometimes you just get to the bus stop and the bus you want comes a few minutes later? Not once all week did we have that kind of luck. It was horrid. One night we had an ADR at Boma and decided to take the boat to DTD to catch a bus over there. Figured anything would be better than waiting for a bus at OKW. HA! The buses over at DTD were equally as slow. Took us almost 2 hours to get to our ressie. The entire transportation system at OKW was a mess IMHO.

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #14
WDWMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal Annie View Post
Oh don't EVEN get me started on the buses at OKW!! We've never waited so long for a bus before anywhere. Took a full hour 1 night for 1 to come along for the MK. A full hour. I am certain that the quickest bus we ever caught was a 20 min. wait. You know how sometimes you just get to the bus stop and the bus you want comes a few minutes later? Not once all week did we have that kind of luck. It was horrid. One night we had an ADR at Boma and decided to take the boat to DTD to catch a bus over there. Figured anything would be better than waiting for a bus at OKW. HA! The buses over at DTD were equally as slow. Took us almost 2 hours to get to our ressie. The entire transportation system at OKW was a mess IMHO.
In 14 years and about 20 trips I don't think we ever had bus service like that at OKW. We hardly ever wait for a bus unless we just missed one. We only usually wait about 5-10 mins at most. Now we do always have issues leaving EPCOT and to go to OKW. Not sure why, but it never fails that we wait forever.

"Everybody's got a boat upon the ocean, but not everybody's sailing out to sea." K. Loggins
WDWMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #15
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWMom View Post
In 14 years and about 20 trips I don't think we ever had bus service like that at OKW. We hardly ever wait for a bus unless we just missed one. We only usually wait about 5-10 mins at most. Now we do always have issues leaving EPCOT and to go to OKW. Not sure why, but it never fails that we wait forever.
I agree with you, WDWMom. We've never had bad bus service at OKW and we've stayed there at least eleven times in all locations. And if we had to wait it was because we just missed the bus minutes earlier.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: