Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #901
richmo
DIS Veteran

I brought some of this up way back in page somewhere of this post, but the last morning is a big advantage to the late dining folks.

If you have early dining throughout the cruise, your assigned breakfast on the last day is really early, as mentioned in some of the earlier posts. If you have late dining, its much more reasonable.

The other thing that hasn't been mentioned a lot is that if you have early breakfast that day, you eat, then you're supposed to take yourself and all your stuff to some common area (like the bars, etc.) and wait for your character tag to get called so you can disembark. This can take awhile and when you do get called, it takes awhile to leave and get thru customs, etc.

Now, if you have the later seating, by the time you finish eating, virtually all the character luggage tags have already been called, there's no hanging around in the bars and the wait time to get off the ship, easier to find your luggage and the wait to get thru customs is generally greatly reduced. Its much more leisurely and less of herding cattle.

A few points, though:
- If you need to get off the ship early and have late dining, you'll have to skip your breakfast assignment and go to the buffet or room service, etc.
- I certainly wouldn't let the last morning dictate choosing early or late dining for the entire cruise, but it is a nice perk of late dining.
- And, of course, whichever dining you pick, you always have the option of going to the buffet. If I remember correctly, the disembarkation sheet you'll get the last night doesn't talk about the buffet opening for breakfast, but it is.
- Some always ask if, having early dining throughout the cruise, if you can go to the late dining breakfast the last day. The answer is no, you shouldn't. You still go to the same table and have the same server that last morning. At the late breakfast, that table is for whoever has it for late dining. If you can't make the early breakfast, go to the buffet.
- Whatever option you choose, they'd really like you out of your stateroom by the time the late dining breakfast starts (around 8:15 or so), so they can get going on getting the rooms ready for the next cruise. Once you leave your stateroom, you can take your time eating your breakfast and leave around 9 or so with little traffic.
richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #902
Southern Sailaway
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmo View Post
Whatever option you choose, they'd really like you out of your stateroom by the time the late dining breakfast starts (around 8:15 or so), so they can get going on getting the rooms ready for the next cruise. Once you leave your stateroom, you can take your time eating your breakfast and leave around 9 or so with little traffic.
Do you know what we were supposed to do in concierge? We had the good fortune to be able to order room service breakfast on the last morning, so we had a relaxing breakfast in our suite. However, we weren't sure what we were expected to do afterwards. We ended up hanging out on our balcony until our shuttle driver arrived to pick us up (around 8:30 or so, I think). I saw our steward in the hall just before we left and he didn't give any indication he was anxious for us to clear out, but I did notice that everyone in the rooms around us was already gone.
Southern Sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #903
richmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Sailaway View Post
Do you know what we were supposed to do in concierge? We had the good fortune to be able to order room service breakfast on the last morning, so we had a relaxing breakfast in our suite. However, we weren't sure what we were expected to do afterwards. We ended up hanging out on our balcony until our shuttle driver arrived to pick us up (around 8:30 or so, I think). I saw our steward in the hall just before we left and he didn't give any indication he was anxious for us to clear out, but I did notice that everyone in the rooms around us was already gone.
I have no idea about that. I would think 8:30 is OK, but they definitely don't want you hanging around. Everything about the last morning is very business-like. All the CMs are still polite, but their main focus that morning is getting you off the ship pretty much as quickly as they can. Disembarkation/embarkation day for all the cast onboard is their busiest day by far and its only fair to give them as much opportunity to get their jobs done. As painful as it is leaving the ship, appreciate how good the ship is when you embark. Think of your vacation/cruise ending when you go to sleep that last night.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #904
stingfancb
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=richmo;44717315]

The other thing that hasn't been mentioned a lot is that if you have early breakfast that day, you eat, then you're supposed to take yourself and all your stuff to some common area (like the bars, etc.) and wait for your character tag to get called so you can disembark.

There has never been any calling of character tags - this is the location of your luggage. If you eat an early breakfast - you simply just take your things and walk off the ship. ( I am usually sobbing during most of this.)
Old 04-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #905
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingfancb View Post
There has never been any calling of character tags - this is the location of your luggage. If you eat an early breakfast - you simply just take your things and walk off the ship. ( I am usually sobbing during most of this.)
This is how it works on the Dream and Fantasy since the terminal cannot accommodate everyone's luggage at the same time. On the Magic and Wonder, you just get off whenever you are ready.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #906
richmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohj80 View Post
...On the Magic and Wonder, you just get off whenever you are ready.
Maybe things have changed. When I was on the Wonder last summer (and the summer before), they displayed luggage character tags on the tv monitors in the lounges indicating when you could leave...
Old 04-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #907
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Maybe things have changed. When I was on the Wonder last summer (and the summer before), they displayed luggage character tags on the tv monitors in the lounges indicating when you could leave...
Sorry, I was speaking specifically about Port Canaveral. In Vancouver for the Alaska cruises last year, tags were used to determine what time we got of the Wonder. Have no idea how it will work in Seattle this year.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #908
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have been on the Wonder twice in the past year, both out of LA, and they have called the characters name on the luggage tags so you'll be released in smaller groups, although there were always long lines to disembark and get through customs.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #909
linco711
DIS Veteran

love this thread
linco711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #910
ginnenern
Earning My Ears

Great info. Thanks

~me DH DD(9)

ginnenern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #911
lindylou2_2002
Mouseketeer

in THe Med for the last 2 years we have always had early dining but on the last morning both times we have also been given late Breakfast. Is this not what happens state side then We are doing our 1st cruise out of new york in august and hate the idea of getting up really early on our last day as we dont fly home until the afternoon and was sort of banking on not getting off until at least 8.30 after late breakfast.
lindylou2_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #912
jbernatz
Earning My Ears

Great tips, cant wait to use many of them!
jbernatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #913
jbernatz
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuetink View Post
Just doing my little bit to share the Magic after all the other DISers have done for me!!
Yes, thank you!!
jbernatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #914
acourtwdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylou2_2002 View Post
in THe Med for the last 2 years we have always had early dining but on the last morning both times we have also been given late Breakfast. Is this not what happens state side then We are doing our 1st cruise out of new york in august and hate the idea of getting up really early on our last day as we dont fly home until the afternoon and was sort of banking on not getting off until at least 8.30 after late breakfast.
If you want a later breakfast time, then go to the buffet instead of your assigned bfast spot. That is what we do. Also the service feels rushed in the MDRs on the last morning and is not relaxing to me.
Places we've stayed at WDW:Carribean Beach, Animal Kingdom Lodge, All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music, Cornado Springs, Saratoga Springs, Boardwalk Villas, Old Key West, Beach Club Villas, Bay Lake Towers, Fort Wilderness Campground, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings

Other Disney Properties:Hilton Head, Vero Beach, Disneyland Hotel, Disney Cruise Line, Platinum, baby! (including the WBTA 2010 and Hawaii Oct 2012) and Disneyland Paris
acourtwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #915
thrillfan
Mouseketeer

My dd 17, took a mat for a 5x7 (the mat is a 8x10) on our Dream cruise and we got a picture mailer from the post office and put it in our carry on and in our carry of bag. When we got it out in the car it was fine. Thats how i do all my pictures
thrillfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: