Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #16
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_Breadbox View Post
Amazed at the Timmies hate. I'm guessing you Starbucks aficionados must drink your coffee black. (Yike.) I can't do that, no matter whose coffee it is: it'd bounce.
I remember the one and only time I had a Starbucks. Somebody offered to buy me a coffee and I wondered how long the lineup must be at the Tim's across the lot, given they were gone getting that coffee for a half an hour. Imagine my surprise when they came back with Starbucks. Hey, they must like me, I thought, to spend that kind of coin on me. They don't call it Fourbucks for nothing.
Then I took a sip.
"I think they messed this up", I said, sheepishly. "Did you ask for a double-double? Because this tastes black."
'No, that's two sugars, two creams", I was told. I went upstairs, dumped a huge dollop of milk and a bunch of sugar in, then tried it again. It STILL tasted black and burnt. Down the sink it went. I felt guilty for wasting their money (and so much of it)...and then I told myself, if they'd just gone to Timmies like normal people, there'd be no problem...

Sorry, that sounded snotty. It's just that I have had to put up with YEARS of Starbucks people staring down their nose at me because I'm addicted to the creamy sweet goodness of a Tim's double-double.
Yes. Black. It's an acquired taste. No milk, no sugar.

I used to hate wine too. Also, an acquired taste.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #17
torontodisneyfan
Little known fact: Mickey is Canadian

Excited to be able to get good coffee in The World...not to mention Chai Lattes!
April 2010 DCL: 8 day The Fantasy-E Caribbean May 2012, 8 day The Fantasy-W Caribbean May 2013, 8 day The Fantasy-W Caribbean (incl Jamaica) May 2014, 8 day The Fantasy-E Caribbean (incl Tortola) Apr 2016 booked

torontodisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #18
CanadianPaco
Canadian
I was 5'4" because of my big hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted in Halifax View Post
Love Starbucks and hate coffee at Disney, so It's a Win Win!
I agree!!!! But I do love that first Timmies when we get back home!
Dec 2010 - CSR / Aug 2011 - RPR - Universal Orlando
Aug 2009 - ASMu / Aug 2010 - POFQ
Aug 2007 - HoJos - DL / April 2009 - HoJos - DL
Aug 2004 - ASMo / July 2005 - Pop
CanadianPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #19
Alderbrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
Yes. Black. It's an acquired taste. No milk, no sugar.

I drink it double double & never had it burnt tasting. I love going to the Starbucks at MCO on our way home.

Timmies tastes burnt to me when you get that bottom of the pot last cup. Even when it's fresh it leaves a rot in my stomach for the day. My boss goes every morning & I had to ask him to stop getting me Timmies coffee & now he gets me tea (which they still manage to screw up).

Now McDonalds, that's good coffee!
Old 04-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #20
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderbrook View Post
I drink it double double & never had it burnt tasting. I love going to the Starbucks at MCO on our way home.

Timmies tastes burnt to me when you get that bottom of the pot last cup. Even when it's fresh it leaves a rot in my stomach for the day. My boss goes every morning & I had to ask him to stop getting me Timmies coffee & now he gets me tea (which they still manage to screw up).

Now McDonalds, that's good coffee!
I also like McDonalds coffee. What I do not like about Tim Hortons coffee is that for me it is so weak I feel like I'm drinking tea.

I can drink Tim Hortons tea, in a pinch.

We have always lugged a small coffee machine to WDW if we were staying on site. Cannot go without a decent coffee in the morning.

As an aside, when we were travelling through China a couple of months ago we purchased Starbucks VIA Ready Brew which are individually sized instant coffee packets. There was always a kettle and coffee mugs in the room. It was very good for instant coffee and much preferred over the hotels so called coffee.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #21
Ken_Breadbox
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I also like McDonalds coffee. What I do not like about Tim Hortons coffee is that for me it is so weak I feel like I'm drinking tea.

I can drink Tim Hortons tea, in a pinch.

We have always lugged a small coffee machine to WDW if we were staying on site. Cannot go without a decent coffee in the morning.

As an aside, when we were travelling through China a couple of months ago we purchased Starbucks VIA Ready Brew which are individually sized instant coffee packets. There was always a kettle and coffee mugs in the room. It was very good for instant coffee and much preferred over the hotels so called coffee.
Ideally, the rooms should have Keurigs and a selection of coffees...that'd please everyone.
Ken_Breadbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #22
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_Breadbox View Post
Ideally, the rooms should have Keurigs and a selection of coffees...that'd please everyone.
I would love to become accustomed to hotels of that calibre.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:07 AM   #23
squirrel
DIS Veteran

I'll drink either TH or Starbucks!

McDonald's is good and it's the cheapest.

I don't normally buy a cup of coffee. I make it at home-cheaper. I did enjoy my free Starbucks coffee on April 22nd.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #24
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Not a fan of Starbucks at all - waaayyy too strong. Unless there's a ton of caramel and whipped cream. But then I'm too cheap to pay for those fancy ones.

Would treat myself to a few in disney though!

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #25
monkey30
Dreaming of my next vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderbrook View Post
I'd rather a Starbucks over a Timmies anyday. Timmies is disgusting & I don't know how anyone can drink that sludge without the gut rot it gives me.
I am finding this lately as well... what did they do to the coffee that is causing this??

Quote:
Y

This just made me giggle!

For me I just used the coffee maker in WDW we had with our fridge swap at All Stars, It was great to have it made in the room for me every morning while I was in the shower! I can only handle one or 2 a day, so I am not as excited at Starbucks opening buts its great to have some choices. I am addicted to the Mocha with a shot of raspberry in it!

September Family Trip 2012 PTR
DL Trip Report 2012
Left the Kids at home PTR 2013
monkey30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #26
sstarke
a gentle heart

SO excited to get a proper vanilla latte if I would like one! I too would take any other type of coffee over what's available in Disney. I also think a lot of folks confused strongly brewed coffee with 'burnt' tasting
sstarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #27
bankr63
DIS Veteran

Milder Starbucks

For some of you, it might be worth a visit to Starbucks again. Now that they serve their "blonde" roast as the mild coffee, it is more appealing to those who like a milder brew. IMO it is comparable to a Second Cup, Timothy's (not Timmie's - yech!), or McDonald's cup. Very nice cup of coffee.

Also, another to the Via brew in a pinch. Good thing to toss into the knapsack.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #28
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarke View Post
I also think a lot of folks confused strongly brewed coffee with 'burnt' tasting
I don't think so. There is a world of difference between strong coffee and the taste of over-roasted beans. I drink either espresso or cappuchino several times a day (I have my own machine), and know burnt when I taste it.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #29
nadira36
DIS Veteran

The issue isn't over roasted beans, but a barista that doesn't know how to tam the grind, or they ground it wrong, or they let it flow too long. I've had them accidentally make a double instead of a single - but there was only single grinds - so it was burnt.

I do make my own at home most often, but when out I like starbucks - though I really don't like coffee - so if it isn't dessert in a glass, then I'm not buying it.

80s/90s various trips with family, never stayed at a resort hotel. 2001 - seasonal CM for a summer. 2007 - convinced DH to take the first trip. Stayed at CSR for 10 days. 3 toddlers 6 adults 2009 - second trip. ASMo for 5 days. 2 Adults 2 toddlers. 2010 - 4 adults 4.5 children. 7 days Pop. 2011 - We can't afford to go to Disney this year. So we're only staying at the Poly for 8 nights. If it's gonna be on credit, might as well make it worthwhile. 2012 - Back to the Poly for 10 days 2 adults 3 kids 2013 - First AKL stay only 5 night 2 adults 3.5 children2014 POR/AKL CL split stay 9 nights 2 adults 4 children plus guests
nadira36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #30
fivebyfive
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenaniganzz View Post
The only decent coffee to be had was at Kona.
Have you tried Kouzzina or Contemporary Grounds? Both are in the same league

Quote:
I drink either espresso or cappuchino several times a day (I have my own machine), and know burnt when I taste it.
My Italian ancestors are rolling over in their graves! LOL It's cappuccino.

Timmies/shimmies...starbucks/farbucks. Lavazza? Now THAT'S coffee!

Last edited by fivebyfive; 04-25-2012 at 08:03 PM.
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: