Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Hong Kong Disneyland
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #691
ehsmum
Mouseketeer

I've been dying to get on and see how your trip was! We are in Singapore, flying home tonight. I have lots of comments but will have to wait until we get home and settle a bit. In short, I loved HKDL despite a few disappointments. 1) DH got food poisoning at Chef Mickeys and was really sick , 2) it rained. And I mean rained. It was typhoon weather! And 3) the Golden Mickeys show wasn't playing . Overall it was great though and the kids had a blast! I'm loving your recap and pics as its all so fresh for me (we only left ther 3 days ago ).
ehsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:19 AM   #692
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

I defitnatly see a pattern here, they really have a way with the eyes dont they? As the teacups, I would get on with your DS and DH , I love those kinds of rides and dont get sick. I like the attention to the detail in all the dolls!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2012, 05:14 AM   #693
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Yay!!!
IT'S A SMALLLLLLLL WORLD AFFFFFTER ALLLLLLLLL

Love the doll shoppe

I wish you could find the checkout to go buy some dolls.
Alice in Wonderland should have been there somewhere...pity you missed her...
But I do appreciate the great shots as it is really hard to snap them all....

I think I must have filmed it so should do some screen capture if I find Alice.
Why film??

YOU GET THE SONG!!!!

queenie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #694
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Neat FL - it's funny the pictures make it look like the rides are very far apart. Like, you don't see anything else when spinning around Dumbo. And same thing IaSW (Our family calls it "babies" from when DD was little.) looks like it's the only house on a dead-end street. Strange.

The "Disney" characters is IaSW have not migrated to Florida yet, they are only in California. There was a fairly lengthy refurb in 2010 when they switched the entrance and exit queue, and they could've done it then, and didn't. (My mom actually saw the original version at the 1964 World's Fair.)

I'm surprise that so far there seems to not be anything "original" at HKDL. I know they have the new ToyStoryLand, but is everything else a drop-in from the home base?

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"
skier_pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:57 AM   #695
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
There’s nothing like learning you’ve been singing the wrong lyric forever. I always thought the song said, through the mountains we ride. Finding out it says though the mountains divide makes more sense. Hahahaha. Yes, the eyes on the koalas look off. That is the case with a lot of eyes on things at Disney properties, including the green on the Mickey bush there where the white should be. I love the Disney dolls. You got a lot I do not remember seeing at MK recently. Xander wanted to ride it a second time last trip at WDW. That was a good time to nurse Xander, so I volunteered my DH to take him. Once is enough each trip for me. Your DS and DH were nice to ride it with you a second time.
It's always a good day when I do some community service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
So tell me....when did the statue of Liberty move to San Francisco?

I wondered if the Disney characters were added here....looks like about the same ones as at DL in Anaheim if I remember correctly!
Obviously, when Disney decided to move it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehsmum View Post
I've been dying to get on and see how your trip was! We are in Singapore, flying home tonight. I have lots of comments but will have to wait until we get home and settle a bit. In short, I loved HKDL despite a few disappointments. 1) DH got food poisoning at Chef Mickeys and was really sick , 2) it rained. And I mean rained. It was typhoon weather! And 3) the Golden Mickeys show wasn't playing . Overall it was great though and the kids had a blast! I'm loving your recap and pics as its all so fresh for me (we only left ther 3 days ago ).
Welcome back! I hope that despite 1, 2 and 3....you had a good holiday. I can't wait to find out about your trip and to see if the Chi Residence worked out for you. You were staying at the one in Jordan, right? I think I saw it one night. Hope you had a room on a HIGH floor.

And thanks for segue into my next posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
I defitnatly see a pattern here, they really have a way with the eyes dont they? As the teacups, I would get on with your DS and DH , I love those kinds of rides and dont get sick. I like the attention to the detail in all the dolls!
Next time we're at Disney, you can go on the teacups with them. I'll be in the next teacup taking pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie82 View Post
Yay!!!

Love the doll shoppe

I wish you could find the checkout to go buy some dolls.
Alice in Wonderland should have been there somewhere...pity you missed her...
But I do appreciate the great shots as it is really hard to snap them all....

I think I must have filmed it so should do some screen capture if I find Alice.
Why film??

YOU GET THE SONG!!!!

*Suppressed groan*....can you imagine it? Neverending repeat of the video, audio only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Neat FL - it's funny the pictures make it look like the rides are very far apart. Like, you don't see anything else when spinning around Dumbo. And same thing IaSW (Our family calls it "babies" from when DD was little.) looks like it's the only house on a dead-end street. Strange.

The "Disney" characters is IaSW have not migrated to Florida yet, they are only in California. There was a fairly lengthy refurb in 2010 when they switched the entrance and exit queue, and they could've done it then, and didn't. (My mom actually saw the original version at the 1964 World's Fair.)

I'm surprise that so far there seems to not be anything "original" at HKDL. I know they have the new ToyStoryLand, but is everything else a drop-in from the home base?
Perfect segue into my next set of posts!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:01 AM   #696
PrincessInOz
in

Fantasyland with One Difference

There are significantly less rides in Fantasyland than in WDW and definitely even less rides in DLR. Fantasyland in DLR is just amazing because of the number of classical Disney attractions crammed into a relatively small space. Plus with the older attractions like Snow White, Pinocchio and Peter Pan, the crowd control barriers are actual works of art, in my opinion. I love touching the woodwork, well-polished from millions of visitor’s hands moving over them as they move towards the loading areas.

Fantasyland in WDW also has more attractions than HKDL and with the expansion due to be completed by the end of this year, it may well be a land that will be even more crowded than before. The sheer size of the Sleeping Beauty castle at WDW alone puts HKDL fantasyland into a lesser shadow.

I was missing Peter Pan, Snow White, Alice and Pinocchio; and the Toontown attractions. With TeaCups, IaSM, the Carousel, Mickey’s Philharmagic, Winnie the Pooh and one other attraction available, the Fantasyland in HKDL would have been sub-par to adequate on anyone’s comparison scale.

However, that one other attraction is, at this point in time, the difference between adequate and acceptable in my view. That attraction is the Golden Mickey’s show.

For those of you that cruise the high seas with Disney, you will find that the Golden Mickey’s show here is really a Mini-Me or a Mini-Mickey of the show done on the Wonder and the Magic. I believe that the cruise line version goes for about an hour or so. The HKDL version goes for about 30 minutes.
I get seasick…it’s the only form of travel that I do get sick on; therefore it is highly unlikely that I will ever see the long version of Golden Mickeys.

I also love live theatre and stage musical productions. So for me, the Golden Mickey show was something that was different and if done well…was going to make or break Fantasyland HKDL for me.

I loved the show. My tears told me so.

Thus far, I have cried happy tears every time I stepped on to a Disney property except for HKDL.

Yes, it was wonderful to be back on Disney property but I was amazed that there were no happy tears when I walked through the Disney gates on Day 1; nor on Day 2. I’d put it down to the fact that this was Hong Kong and that it was just a little ‘bent’.

Not so in the Golden Mickey’s theatre. Tears, and lots of them, flowed freely. It was there that I felt…..home.

The Golden Mickeys is a musical revue-style stage show presented in the style of an awards ceremony with characters from Disney films being nominated for awards including heroism, symphony, villains, friendship, and romance.

A mini-me version of the show is performed at the Storybook Theatre in Fantasyland. The show is narrated in Cantonese, with simplified Chinese and English subtitles. All of the songs are performed in English.

I got us tickets….

Naturally, I got us some pictures as well.

I will say that Zanzibar and I had a little discussion about whether pictures were allowed in the shows like the Golden Mickeys on her TR. I can only say that on this day, there were any numbers of fruit products and fruit alternatives on offer taking pictures of the Golden Mickeys. Neither I, nor the fruit products and alternatives, were hailed by a CM to stop taking pictures. As always, flash photography was and is prohibited.

(Continued in Next Post)

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 04-24-2012, 04:07 AM   #697
PrincessInOz
in

(Continued from Previous Post)

The Golden Mickeys, with a Difference

Disclaimers
1. The OP will not entertain any correspondence regarding creating nightmares or making them cry for reader’s children as this story is rated PG.

2. The OP acknowledges that the original show was narrated in Cantonese. The OP cannot be held responsible for anything “lost in translation”.

3. Any resemblance to a Disney story is purely coincidental. This story is purely out of the imagination of the OP and is a bona fide genuine imitation picture story.

4. Any resemblance of this story to any real life person or character is also purely coincidental.

5. The OP will appreciate any offers for sharing popcorn or drinks of any kind during this story.

6. Whilst correspondence of any sort might be ignored, should there be a Mod or a WebMaster or a Tag Fairy lurking that feels that this story isn’t strictly adhering to the DIS rules, I would appreciate a friendly message, instead of *poof* or a ban. I promise to change……the storyline a little.

Here's a Story....about a Lovely Lady....

Once upon a time, there was a girl named Bebe….

Bebe was on the look-out for a prince of her own. Despite the fact that she was a girl spoilt for choice…..

…and despite the fact that there were any number of men willing to jump…hoops or not…

Bebe was really after something larger than life.

You could say that she was really split down the middle between real vs larger than life.

Bebe weighed up some of her larger than life options.

Her eye fell on one particular mouse.

Wa-a-it one minute Bebe. He might actually be taken already. Minnie – watch out. Bebe might be trying to get between you and the Big Cheese.

Bebe denied the whole thing. She only had one thing on her mind....FRIENDSHIP.

But Minnie knew better.

She always knew when someone was just spinning her a line.

Mickey might be dressed like a country hick….

….and despite this, she had seen how Bebe had moved in on Mickey.

So she pointedly told Bebe to keep away.

She told Bebe to take a look at some more real life options.

Take the hunchback, for example. He might be a little dark, but the spotlight does shine on him, occasionally.

And Tarzan….

He really knows how to swing….his….long….rope.

Li Shang could also be a worthy real life candidate.

Hmmm…..Minnie might have forgotten about Mulan.

Whilst Mulan fights like a girl,

…she really likes being on top.

Bebe considered her choices carefully. Afterall, with a Golden Mickey still in her clutches, she could afford time to look about some more.

(Continued in Next Post)

Old 04-24-2012, 04:13 AM   #698
PrincessInOz
in

Bebe felt she needed to take a little vacation away to consider her options. So, she packed her bag and made sure that she brought along the necessary diversions she needed. Afterall, she really didn’t want to be too bored on her vacay. Just a little goofyness would do the trick!

She was heading for a Pacific Island holiday….somewhere where the waters would shimmer like the sky above.

Where she could take in and experience a little local culture.

And get to know some of the locals….

….swinging their balls around.

She even thought she would make friends with some of the locals.

Bebe tried her best to blend in with the local scene. She even dressed the part. Afterall, looks are everything.

She did wonder if she would ever be on top of this little Experiment. But there always seem to be a local girl hanging around.

Bebe worked out that the local girl was always going to be around.

And then she found some more locals willing to provide her with a…large…..helping…..hand….er….appendage.

Appendages seem to be plentiful at the moment.

Finally, Bebe decide that it was time to head home. She needed to have a girl-to-girl talk with Minnie and set thing straight.

Minnie told Bebe that she needed to stop thinking about aiming for larger than life characters…

Who would come along and sweep her off her feet…

…and dance the night away.

Only to then be magically changed into a Prince…

…dancing the night away.

(Continued in Next Post)

Old 04-24-2012, 04:18 AM   #699
PrincessInOz
in

Minnie told Bebe that she needed to live life in reality and not expect to be magically changed into a princess. That only happened in fairy tales. She also told Bebe that she needed to dress up more, rather than appearing so fl-e-shy. Afterall, looks are everything!

Bebe considered what Minnie had said carefully. And decided that if she couldn’t be magically changed into a princess, the least she could do was dress like one. Afterall, looks are everything!

She asked Mickey whether he preferred HER dress or Minnie’s.

I guess there really isn’t any use telling some people not to get in the middle of things where they don’t belong!

All Mickey could say was that if a change in outfit was good enough for Bebe, it would be good enough for him too. Afterall, looks are everything.

Even Minnie felt the same as she, too, dressed up. Afterall, looks are everything.

Minnie gave Bebe one last word of advice.

Minnie told Bebe to take another good look at her options…

…those that occasionally made it into the spotlight….

…and those that stood out from time to time, with over extended hands…..appendages...

So, Bebe looked them all over carefully. Even the other larger than life characters, who all wanted their golden moment too.

As it turns out, Mickey was a true prince. He knew that Minnie was his gal of choice.

And as he hugged Bebe and wished her well, all Bebe could do was consider her other options. One in particular, caught her eye as she, too, hugged Mickey back.

And with that, Bebe pondered her choice between that real life swinger with the monkey; and considering another larger than life character.

But that….is another tale.

The End.

I enjoyed the Golden Mickey’s show and I am absolutely positive that my translation of the show on stage to what I’m reporting here is completely misrepresented. But then….I AM bent, AND I’m drawn that way.

And I never said that my Cantonese was good.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #700
ehsmum
Mouseketeer

I'm glad you got to see the Golden Mickeys. I was so disappointed when we arrived and found out the theatre was being refurbished but my next thought was "I wonder if PIO got to see it"!
The photos are great, it looks like a fabulous show.

CHI worked out really well, thanks again for the recommendation . It was on Nathan Rd, near the Jordan train station. It was fairly small for an apartment but we really didn't spend much time in the room so it was okay for us. Staff were very friendly and helpful, and the area was fantastic. Will definitely stay there again if we ever return to HK .
ehsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #701
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

I don't recall seeing that version of the story....

Of course...

In both the DCL version and the HKDL version I tried to ignore the 'host'...
Both are in the 'screaming' type of character role
So maybe this was the story I was ignoring...

Either way...
Nice pictures....however....I would prefer more that DON'T have little miss irritating in it...

Cute story...but I prefer photos of the Characters without her spoiling it...
queenie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #702
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Great update! love all the wonderful pictures and the story line..

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #703
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Boy with your disclaimer I thought your story was gonna get "down and dirty". Not so much. I think you were mostly right though, that Bebe lady spent an awful lot of time keeping Mickey from Minnie. Homewrecker!

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"
skier_pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #704
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

I like the overall look and feel of the Fantasyland at Dl better than the one at the MK. Disneyland has Sleeping Beauty's castle. WDW has Cinderella's castle. I prefer Cinderella's castle, which was one of the redeeming qualities of WDW.

The Golden Mickey's is my favorite Disney production. I've even seen the Lion King on broadway and still liked the Golden Mickey's better even though it was a lot shorter. Xander was chosen to be one of the seven dwarfs, so I may be a little partial. It looks like the dwarfs were cut from the HKDL version. That was my favorite part of the show, since the kids they chose were all so cute in the role.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #705
Mum from oz
DIS Veteran

I am loving all your updates, I know I don't get to them straight away but its good to read a whole lot in one hit.

I am so, so happy you finally got some nice fireworks shots. They all came out really well. I am aiming to try and get some this trip, now I have an idea what I'm doing and an idea of how to achieve this. Hopefully I'll have some to share soon. Also the night shots of the castle and around the park were great too.

Food porn - unless it is so dark or unfocused I can't decipher if it is even edible then I'm in! Those noodles looked especially yummy.

I am also sitting here singing a small world..... thanks a lot! But it was good seeing the range of dolls you captured. Oh and not only did those koalas have weird eyes but they were pink and purple. I wish you could buy replicas of the dolls, I would probably go broke but they are so cute.

The Golden Mickeys were soooo good. I've seen them on DCL and it is fairly similar. I loved how even though I didn't understand a word of what they were saying, they still got the message across even without watching the subtitles. I'm pretty sure I didn't get any photos or not many so it was nice to see yours.
2013 - Vegas Wedding, Western Caribbean Fantasy Cruise, WDW 1st time onsite!!
Mum from oz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: