Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #16
twinkl
Earning My Ears

Hero:
Best: Belle is my favourite. She didn't fall for love at first sight, turned down the sleazy "town-hunk," and loved to read. She had independence and a natural grace.
Worst: Not necessarily the worst hero, but I really disliked Fox and the Hound. What an immensely depressing story!! I've only watched it a few times in my life and have since avoided it, even thinking about the film makes me sad. Ugh.
I also never liked Peter Pan, I thought he was too irresponsible, and a little creepy.

Villain:
Best: Ursula comes to mind..
Worst: Gaston, from Beauty and the Beast. He needs to get over himself.

Sidekick:
Best: LOVE Pluto!
Worst: Tinkerbell. She's moody and manipulative, not pleasant company in my opinion.

Artistic Concept:
Best: I can't really think of one that stands out, but I have an appreciation
for anything that's been hand drawn. CGI can be lovely too, like Finding Nemo.
Worst: Not sure about this one either. . .

Soundtrack:
Best: I really liked Snow White, Lion King, and Fantasia. There were also some old sing-alongs I had as a child, I don't remember the name of it but it started off with an owl teaching in a classroom.
Worst: Hmm..maybe Dumbo? I can't recall any songs from that movie sticking with me.
twinkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #17
flyergrad09
Future Monorail Driver

Hero
Best: Belle, by a landslide. She's independent, loves to read, and isn't easily swayed. What more could you want in a role model?
Worst: Ariel. She's selfish and very immature. What sane person would give away their voice, the one thing they were talented with, for a chance with a guy? Not to be snarky, but there are other fish in the sea. There's also a good reason why she dies in the original fairytale...

Villain
Best: Scar. His whole plan for convincing Simba that Mufasa's death was his fault for being down in the canyon is genius. Plus then he manages to ruin the Pride Lands by his own selfishness and he manages to turn his lackeys (the hyenas) against him. It reminds me a lot of what happened in Nazi Germany, further illustrated by the super-creepy "Be Prepared" scene with the hyenas goose-stepping.
Worst: Gaston. To me, he's no worse than a high school boy with an inflated ego.

Sidekick
Best: Timon and Pumbaa. They basically save Simba's life, and then when he needs their help, they're there for him unconditionally, which is pretty amazing considering they know they're off to fight animals that are their predators.
Worst: Nakoma. She's such a spoilsport, sometimes she almost drifts into villain territory, IMO. She also doesn't seem to know how to enjoy life and have fun. How Pocahontas puts up with her boringness, I have no idea.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only anti-Tinkerbell person! I'd explain why I don't like her, but it would involve a lot of choice words...

Artistic Concept
Best: Pocahontas. When I watch it, I want to visit Virginia, just to see if their leaves have a magical sparkle in them (but they never do!)
Worst: Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas, Tarzan, any other movie where hand drawing and CGI aren't blended together well. Forte the organ is by the WORST CGI I've ever seen in a Disney movie, and I hate the scene in Tarzan where he's sliding on the trees. I'm sure that was impressive in 2000 (actually I remember liking it at the time) but now it just looks weird. Forte, on the other hand, never looked good.

Soundtrack
Best: I honestly can't pick just one. It's a tie between Beauty and the Beast and Pocahontas. Pocahontas was the very first CD I owned, so I listened to it obsessively growing up, but Beauty and the Beast was the first cassette tape I owned, so before I got a CD player, that was my jam. Now they're both so nostalgic to me, I can't pick a favorite!
Worst: 101 Dalmatians, which is just sad considering Roger's a musician.

Follow me on Twitter! @flyergrad09

I've been a Disney girl my entire life!
May 1987 - Offsite • November 1990 - Offsite • June 1998 - OKW • December 2001/January 2002 - Offsite • December 2003/January 2004 - Offsite • December 2007/January 2008 - Offsite • December 2009 - Offsite • July 2010 - DISNEYLAND! • December 2010 - Offsite • December 2011 - ASMu • May 2012 - ASMu
flyergrad09 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #18
st4rrab0vemybed
Mouseketeer

Hero/Main Character?
Best: Belle, Cinderella and Remy
Worst: Snow White and Peter Pan

Villain?
Best: Maleficent and the Evil Queen
Worst: Queen of Hearts and Gaston

Sidekick?
Best: Dory, Mater and the Fairy Godmothers from Sleeping Beauty
Worst: Tinkerbell

Artistic Concept?
Best: Beauty and The Beast, Toy Story
Worst: Pocahontas ?? (not even sure on this one)

Soundtrack?
Best: Beauty and The Beast or The Lion King
Worst: ???

Last edited by st4rrab0vemybed; 04-10-2012 at 09:27 AM.
st4rrab0vemybed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #19
lostcasket
Earning My Ears

good thread!
lostcasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #20
queenofpainting
Poor Unfortunate Soul

I separated Disney and Pixar films with a semi-colon. I feel like they're sort of connected, but I nevertheless feel weird lumping them into the same category.

CHARACTERS

Best Hero: Beast, Aladdin, Simba; PX: (too many!) Woody, Sulley, Remy, Wall-E, Carl
Best Heroine: Mulan, Lilo (underrated), Rapunzel, Belle; PX: Helen Parr

Worst Hero: Chicken Little, Hercules, Taran; PX:
Worst Heroine: Maggie from HOTR, Snow White

Best Villain: Maleficent mostly because of her design, but otherwise Scar; PX: Sid, Randall, Syndrome
Worst Villain: Ratcliffe, Sykes; PX: AUTO, Chick Hicks, the combover car from Cars 2

Best Sidekick/Friend: Thumper, Meeko (the way he eats biscuits, awww!), Stitch (although he certainly may be considered a "hero" as well), Figaro; PX: Bonnie, Mike Wazowski, Russell, Dory, Dug, the Potato Heads
Worst Sidekick/Friend: Gurgi, gargoyles, and anything from Oliver and Company or Chicken Little; PX: Mater, Bo Peep, Holley Shiftwell

MUSIC

Best Song: "Part of Your World," "In a World of My Own," "Swing Sweet Nightingale," "Baby Mine," "Whole New World," "Circle of Life," "Reflection," "Belle" and the Pooh tunes are real cute; PX: "Le Festin," "When Somebody Loved Me," "You've Got a Friend in Me"
Worst Song: "Yodel-Aadel-Eedel-Idle-Oo," "Morning Report," "What Is a Baby," "Love" and most of the Oliver and Company songs; PX: pretty much anything from the Cars films

Best Soundtrack: Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Bambi, Cinderella; PX: Up, Ratatouille
Worst Soundtrack: Chicken Little, Bolt, Sword in the Stone; PX: Cars 2

Best Vocalist: Mandy Moore (surprisingly—outside of the film I don't pay much attention to her music), Lea Salonga, Ilene Woods

ART

Best Visuals/Art Direction: Bambi, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, The Princess and the Frog; PX: Ratatouille, Finding Nemo
Worst Visuals/Art Direction: Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, Oliver and Company, Bolt, Sword in the Stone, Robin Hood, Alice in Wonderland (I have huge respect for Mary Blair but this was too chaotic and unfocused for me); PX: Ehhhh, none... Even though I'm not necessarily blown away by Cars 2, but that may have more to do with the lack of nature in the story itself

MISCELLANEOUS

Best Film: The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Bambi; PX: Ratatouille, The Incredibles, Up, Monsters Inc, TS1-3
Worst Film: Chicken Little, Oliver and Company, Home on the Range, The Black Cauldron; PX: the Cars films

Best Concept: Lion King, Treasure Planet (others criticize the contrasting steampunk-esque, futuristic space elements, but I totally "get" it)
Worst Concept: Chicken Little, Home on the Range, Dinosaur; PX: the Cars films

Best Villain Death: Clayton, Captain Hook

WDW trips: 4/2000 offsite, 4/2002 offsite, 9/2005 @ AKL, 8/2006 @ AKL
Upcoming WDW trip: 8/2012 @ AoA TLK suite and hopefully more regular trips after!
Other DP trips: 7/1999 @ DLP
queenofpainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: