Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 02:29 AM   #1
StephOz
Earning My Ears

Tips for first timers first night

It's our first trip to WDW in October this year (can't wait - huge adventure for us) we're 4 adults (my parents my 20 year old brother & me (25). We're staying at POP.

We're flying into Orlando at about 4:30pm, and we will have been in the US for about 5 days by that stage so no issues with jet lag by then, heres hoping anyway.

I've made some ADRs but I'd love to hear your suggestions on how we should spend our first night - Dinner somewhere, even if it's casual, and then something to get us into the Disney swing of things is what I'm thinking!
StephOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:52 AM   #2
MickeyMoguls
Earning My Ears

Our first night at Disney we went to Downtown Disney and ate at the Earl of Sandwich. It was nice to walk around DTD after we ate and just look at all the shops. It was a great way to get in the Disney mood! Hope you have a great trip!

1987- off site, 1990- off site, 1998-honeymoon off site, 2011- Anniversary trip CSR

MickeyMoguls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)

We love eating at Ohana our 1st night. If you hit it right, you can see Wishes from the windows while they pipe the sound in. Its a great meal, just ooozes Disney magic. If you are on the monorail line, you can catch it to the Polynesian, if not catch a bus from your resort to Magic Kingdom then hop resort monorail to Polynesian.
Boma is another fun choice at AKL.
Raglan Rd. at DTD is good as well.
Have fun on your 1st trip!!!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
Z28KatCar
"A wish is a dream your heart makes"

Not sure you all would be interested, but we always do Chef Mickey's our first night. It really gets us in the Disney Spirit!

1974-1992 off site 2x/yr!, 1989-1992 Participant in the Candlelight procession ,1995 ASMV, 1997 AS, 1999 POFQ, 2003 Day Trip, 2010~2 wks ASMo, 2013~2 wks WL CL
Z28KatCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

If your flight is scheduled to land at 4:30 and you're taking ME, then you shouldn't anticipate getting to your resort until 6:00. If your flight is on time. Then you have to check in and get into your room. Then you have to travel to wherever you plan to dine that night. I would recommend that if you decide on a TS restaurant that night, that you pick one that won't impose a no-show penalty, and that you make your ADR for no earlier than 4 hrs. from your arrival time to be on the safe side.

Even better would be to just eat at a CS restaurant that night; perhaps in a park that has EMH that night.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Random Ninja
DIS Veteran

Don't do ADRs your first night. It'll just cause unneeded stress. Instead, hop on the bus to MK, then travel around the monorail resorts. I'd recommend eating at Captain Cook's at the Poly. You can take your food out to the beach, watch the Electric Water Parade, and see Wishes. They play the music on the beach.

If you get in early, try the campfire at Fort Wilderness. Grab a bucket of fried chicken at Trails End To Go for supper. Watch as Chip and Dale come out to play. You can roast marshmallows and play in the sing-a-long. Once it gets dark, they play a Disney Movie in the outdoor theatre.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
chinarider
DIS Veteran

we're heading to POP the beginning of June and our flight is set to arrive about 4:15. We are coming from Az so it will be earlier on our body clock time but, we still dont want to wear us down for the next full day at MK. We plan to probably go over to AofA and try their food court for dinner and try to get to bed early. Otherwise we will probably head to DTD.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran

We like to go to DTD on our first night as well (unless we get in at 10 p.m.). There are several good CS-Wolfgang Puck Express, Earl of Sandwich, and Cookes of Dublin. There are several good TS as well-Wolfgang Puck Cafe and Raglan Road just to name 2. Then you can ride around on the boats for a nice relaxing ride-very pretty with the lights.

Or you can go to Kona Cafe at Poly (or Capt. Cooks for CS) and watch the fireworks from the beach. You could even ride around on the monorail to get the Disney spirit.

We too travel from the Southwest so we are usually wide awake until late.
Dizneydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
jobro912
Mouseketeer

We stay offsite the night before we check in, then check in to our resort at oh, 6:30 or so in the morning on our first day. So parks are out of the question. We go to Downtown Disney and have counter service....Usually Wolfgang Puck Express
jobro912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
ARAITHEL
Always counting the days till my next WDW trip...

I'd head to MK...and grab a CS...since you are first-timers, MK is the place to start. You could also grab a quick bite to eat at POP or just get something quick ay MCO. (we fly in around lunch time and eat McDonald's! ) it's a tradition!
Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Ninja View Post
Don't do ADRs your first night. It'll just cause unneeded stress. Instead, hop on the bus to MK, then travel around the monorail resorts. I'd recommend eating at Captain Cook's at the Poly. You can take your food out to the beach, watch the Electric Water Parade, and see Wishes. They play the music on the beach.

If you get in early, try the campfire at Fort Wilderness. Grab a bucket of fried chicken at Trails End To Go for supper. Watch as Chip and Dale come out to play. You can roast marshmallows and play in the sing-a-long. Once it gets dark, they play a Disney Movie in the outdoor theatre.
This is what I'd do! No ADRs for arrival day, you never know how exhausted you're going to be, or flight delays, etc. CPT Cooks is our favorite Counter Service....nothing beats the Aloha Pork Sandwich (BBQ Pulled Pork, Cheddar, Pineapple Coleslaw, Cucumbers), unless it's eating an Aloha Pork Sandwich while watching Wishes from the beach! Oh, and don't forget a Pina-Colava!

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #12
StephOz
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much for all your wonderful suggestions. DTD seems like it will be the easiest and least stressful option. Now, if only it was the 3rd of October already!
StephOz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: