Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #16
226ra
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark View Post
Finally! A first hand report. Can you give any more details -- particularly if you know any of the details about what category they used as a baseline for the upgrade.
It was ~$490 to go to an ocean view cabin, $900 to go to verandah. The verandah upgrade was ~$500 cheaper at port than if I had purchased a VGT at the time of booking. we checked in at around 12:30 pm so in our case there were still upgrades available 90 min after the first check in window opened.
226ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #17
lark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 226ra View Post
It was ~$490 to go to an ocean view cabin, $900 to go to verandah. The verandah upgrade was ~$500 cheaper at port than if I had purchased a VGT at the time of booking. we checked in at around 12:30 pm so in our case there were still upgrades available 90 min after the first check in window opened.
Thanks for the report. It makes sense. The mantra that you can't upgrade because the room already is heavily discounted didn't make sense. More revenue is more revenue.
lark is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
Annabell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyOrBustColorado View Post
Thanks for posting this!!! I've always been confused about all of these bookings. Is it possible to save $$ when booking in these catagories? I usually already have the onboard booking bonus & I book very far out to get the best rate. From your experience are the GTY or OGT/VGT room less expensive than booking normally with the onboard bonuses?
In my opinion, those IGT/OGT/VGT rates are similar to the day-1 prices so if you have booked a cruise far out and used the onboard booking discount you would still have a better deal than the restricted rates.

The restricted rates seems "heavily" discounted because you compare it to those fares that is offered close to the sail dates and hence much higher than prices at day-1. This all due to the tier pricing system that DCL uses.

In summary.....it is still good if you can book far out but if you cannot do that then it might be OK to wait till last minute and hope for some restricted rates ! Just my 2 cents !

Last edited by Annabell; 04-23-2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Annabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Thanks. That is contrary to what the OP has above, as it states that Disney is not able to assign a stateroom number at time of booking.
What the OP should say is that the PASSENGER cannot choose the stateroom number at the time of booking. DCL CAN possibly assign a stateroom at booking though.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #20
lark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabell View Post
In my opinion, those IGT/OGT/VGT rates are similar to the day-1 prices so if you have booked a cruise far out and used the onboard booking discount you would still have a better deal than the restricted rates.
When Fantasy started releasing some IGT/OGT/VGT fares, I actually did a comparison, and you're basically right, although I found a few occasions where IGT was better than opening day cat 11C -- one one sailing by nearly $400 for a family of 4 even with an onboard booking discount. VGT also was pretty close, although it depends on what you compare to. If you compare to 7A, which is the lowest category you can get with a VGT, day one bookings actually come out better, but of course many with VGT get cat 4 or 5, where the difference can be thousands. Depends on your risk tolerance.

Unfortunately, the data on Fantasy day-1 is not extensive, despite the great resources here.
lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #21
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Did you actually pick the first room? Or was it assigned the same day by DCL? That would be the difference.

Disney assigned us a stateroom at time of booking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
What the OP should say is that the PASSENGER cannot choose the stateroom number at the time of booking. DCL CAN possibly assign a stateroom at booking though.
This is what I thought it should say, but I am no expert by any means, so thanks for that clarfication.

The way the OP worded it made it sound like no staterooms are assigned at time of booking (whether by guest or Disney), and that is why I clarified with our experience that we have had our stateroom since time of booking.

Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #22
p17blo
DIS Veteran

I have booked 2 VGTs
First was January 2012 and I got 10122 which is a 4a
Second is for May 2012 and I have just been assigned 10560 which is a 4a

Both of the rates I paid were FAR CHEAPER than booking 12 months out with OBC and OBD.

The only downside I have experience of booking VGT is that you have to wait and then most/all of the excursions and restaurant bookings etc are sold out.

p17blo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #23
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p17blo View Post
I have booked 2 VGTs
First was January 2012 and I got 10122 which is a 4a
Second is for May 2012 and I have just been assigned 10560 which is a 4a

Both of the rates I paid were FAR CHEAPER than booking 12 months out with OBC and OBD.

The only downside I have experience of booking VGT is that you have to wait and then most/all of the excursions and restaurant bookings etc are sold out.
Thanks for the update, and congrats in the great room!
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC
disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #24
scottofsdea
Earning My Ears

how do you book a vgt?

Do you book these online or with TA? How far in advance?
scottofsdea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #25
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottofsdea View Post
Do you book these online or with TA? How far in advance?
They can be booked by a TA or yourself at the DCL site. The only way to know if a specific cruise you are interested in has these rates available is to actually go through through a dummy booking. If one of the categories comes up as IGT, OGT or VGT then they are being offered on that cruise. There is no master list or anything. Or, you can call and ask Disney or a TA to check.

There is no real consistency in when they release these....sometimes it is a few weeks before sailing, sometimes it is a few months. It is for DCL to fill a ship with so they offer them at random times when they want to fill a ship.

This thread lists all the restrictions that are associated with these rates.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2629213

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #26
SnackyStacky
Disney Addict
S2+1

Proud new daddy to his own little princess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
They can be booked by a TA or yourself at the DCL site. The only way to know if a specific cruise you are interested in has these rates available is to actually go through through a dummy booking. If one of the categories comes up as IGT, OGT or VGT then they are being offered on that cruise. There is no master list or anything. Or, you can call and ask Disney or a TA to check.

There is no real consistency in when they release these....sometimes it is a few weeks before sailing, sometimes it is a few months. It is for DCL to fill a ship with so they offer them at random times when they want to fill a ship.

This thread lists all the restrictions that are associated with these rates.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2629213

MJ
To piggy back on this - just because you see IGT/OGT/VGT available today, doesn't mean you'll see it tomorrow.

And just because it's one price today, doesn't mean it will be the same price tomorrow.

If you see one, you're happy with the price, and you're okay with the terms and conditions of these particular discounted categories, book it.
SnackyStacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #27
scottofsdea
Earning My Ears

Thank you for your help! I found some online this evening...better prices than we paid for a cruise in July! WOW!
scottofsdea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:13 AM   #28
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

bumping up.....there still seems to be confusion about the difference between the regular GTY bookings and the last minute IGT, OGT, VGT bookings so I bumped up this helpful thread.

It is confusing because DCL has two types of guarantees.

One is a regular GTY which means that DCL has sold a certain percentage of cabins in a particular category. If you want to book that category you will have to book it at GTY meaning you can't be assigned a specific stateroom when you book. You will be assigned a stateroom in the category you booked or possibly a higher category...never a lower category. You will get your cabin assignment at anytime prior to your cruise...usually 45-30 days before sailing. A GTY price is the same as an assigned price...no discount just because the category is in GTY status.

IGT, OGT, VGT are discounted categories with very low rates that DCL offers on some cruises that may not be selling as well as they hoped or if they are just trying to fill a ship. They are offered usually after the 75 PIF date. The are greatly discounted, but come with many restrictions....no name changes, no location choices, no cancelling, no moving dates, no anything. The tradeoff is a great price as long as you don't need to make any changes and are willing to be assigned anywhere DCL puts you. It could be a higher category or it could be what you booked. You don't get your cabin assignment until about 10-14 days before your cruise.

These rates are meant to be last minute rates and that is why they are usually offered after the PIF date. They are for new bookings only. You can't switch a current rate for one of the discounted rates unless you completely cancel your regular rate cabin and take a hit with a penalty. But, sometimes people still save money when they cancel with penalty and book the cheaper *GT categories.

Hope this helps.

MJ

MJ
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

Old 08-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #29
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

any discount of this type when using DVC points?

do they also reduce points requirements to reflect the igt/ogt/vgt rates? That would be nice.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #30
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

bumping up for reference.

MJ
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: