Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #61
LuzzBightyear
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted in Halifax View Post
I say "Nova Scotia", they say "Nova what?"
Ha! I usually just say "Canada", but if I am pressed, I say "Prince Edward Island... just north of Nova Scotia".

On our last trip, my 7 year old wanted me to tell people we were from Vermont (where he was born). Definitely got fewer puzzled looks and follow up questions with that!

LuzzBightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #62
SmilingGrump
Dis Dads Club Member #584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camshell View Post
When at Disneyworld or Disneyland, and someone asks where you are from do you just say Canada, or do you say your city (and possibly province)?

Honestly I never really know what to say. Sometimes I say Canada, other times I might say my city. We're heading to Aulani soon, so it'll will probably come up again.

Love to know what others say when asked. Just an unoffical poll.
Since you're going to Aulani, you can likely be pretty specific if you're from Western Canada. You may have to be more general if you live farther East. There's a HUGE Canadian presence in the Hawaiian islands, though it is more concentrated on Maui while Oahu is more Japanese.

As for WDW, we usually respond with "Near Edmonton, Alberta" and follow up with "Western Canada" if there's a blank stare. We're finding that close to 1/2 the people know where we're talking about (and it's been growing over the last 10 years). If they're older it's because of Wayne Gretzky and the Oilers. The rest is an even split between West Edmonton Mall and the Edmonton Indy race.
DL '77, DW '79, DW '00, DW '01, DW '06, Magic '08, DW '08, DW '09, Wonder '10, DW '10, Wonder '11, Aulani '12, DDC#1 (WDW '13)

me DW DD DD
SmilingGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #63
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

I always say "Nova Scotia" and have had very few questions! Most people seemed interested and asked a few more questions. Lots of "Is it always winter?" type questions of course, but personally I've only rarely had trouble with people knowing where NS was
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #64
Camshell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingGrump View Post
Since you're going to Aulani, you can likely be pretty specific if you're from Western Canada. You may have to be more general if you live farther East. There's a HUGE Canadian presence in the Hawaiian islands, though it is more concentrated on Maui while Oahu is more Japanese.

As for WDW, we usually respond with "Near Edmonton, Alberta" and follow up with "Western Canada" if there's a blank stare. We're finding that close to 1/2 the people know where we're talking about (and it's been growing over the last 10 years). If they're older it's because of Wayne Gretzky and the Oilers. The rest is an even split between West Edmonton Mall and the Edmonton Indy race.
We just returned from our Hawaii trip, including Aulani. I ended up saying Victoria, Canada most of the time. Had quite a few blank stares and had to follow-up with close to Seattle. There were a few folks (Americans) we talked to that actually knew where Victoria was (i.e. close to Vancouver). One of our drivers knew we were on Vancouver Island which was impressive, but I guess he must talk to tourists all day long so he learns quite a bit.

'78 DL, '89 DL, '96 Tokyo DL, '01 DL, '05 DL, '09 DL, '11 WDW, '12 Aulani, '12 DL, '13 WDW, '15 Aulani

Camshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #65
bankr63
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camshell View Post
We just returned from our Hawaii trip, including Aulani. I ended up saying Victoria, Canada most of the time. Had quite a few blank stares and had to follow-up with close to Seattle. There were a few folks (Americans) we talked to that actually knew where Victoria was (i.e. close to Vancouver). One of our drivers knew we were on Vancouver Island which was impressive, but I guess he must talk to tourists all day long so he learns quite a bit.
We just got back from Cabo (Baja Mexico) and I kept shortening it down until I'd just say Canada. Then near the end of our trip we were on a Dune Buggy adventure in the desert. Our guide asked where we're from. Canada. Where in Canada. Ontario. Where in Ontario. Ottawa. Oh, my cousin went to U of Ottawa, lovely place! She's now in post-grad at McGill.

FWIW, I've spent a lot of time explaining to Canadians where Cabo/Baja California is as well...

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #66
LivieTARDIS
Earning My Ears

whenever we go I try to ask where they are from first, then when they ask back answer in a very canuk accent "Canada" we always got back "oh so you're not used to this heat huh?" we always have to answer "ya we are, we live in between the great lakes so it can get really humid" sometimes they ask how hot it actually gets and then I have to look to my mom because I only know celsius and I scare them with "30 degrees"
LivieTARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #67
RCMommy
DIS Veteran

We usually just answer "Ontario" and just get a "oh, I see" Others will say "Oh I have been to Toronto" (I would like to say GOOD FOR YOU) but I respond with "we are about 3 hours from TO"

We got the odd person who knows all about London, Windsor, Sarnia etc. and will have a great chat with them. Especially in Le Cellier.

2012 Xmas Port Orleans French Quarter ~~ 2012 US/IOA & Legoland ~~ 2011 Port Orleans Riverside ~~ 2009 xmas trip POP ~~ 2008 Xmas trip Polynesian-~~ 2008 Carribean Beach ~~ 2006 Windsor Palms ~~ 2005 All Star Sports ~~2000 offsite ~~~ Numerous other trips since 1977...
RCMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #68
DreamlikeCat
We are a process.

I thought for SURE Winnipeg would be well known thanks to the Simpsons and a few other cameos on commercials!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbjgc View Post
I say Winnipeg. This is often (not always!) followed by a blank stare at which point I say "...just north of North Dakota", a further blank stare "... about 8 hours from Minneapolis", which often gets us there.

We have run into a number of florida native cast members who not only knew where Winnipeg was, but had even been here (either friends or family from around Winnipeg).

What is more fun is when someone says, "Oh, you are from Canada! Do you know my friend X from Toronto?". So far, I have never known their friends . I guess a 24 hour drive is a little too much separation.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #69
TaniaU
Mouseketeer

It was funny reading all the responses because I think we've experienced all of them

Usually we'll say "Calgary" and then wait for a response...or blank stare, then take it from there. Surprising amount of people have heard of Banff (in relation to Calgary).

DCL Jan 2009!
DCL Feb 2011!
DCL Sept 2012!
TaniaU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #70
angiebaby
Earning My Ears

We say Montreal, Canada (we live an hour from there). I don't know if it's just us but americans often seem desapointed when we say we're from Canada?

American: '' We're are you guys from?''

Me: ''Canada!!'' (with a big old smile on my face)

American: ''o'' (with a desapointed face on)

angiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #71
LadyKay
Mouseketeer

We also say Montreal, Canada. I'm certain they wouldn't have a clue if I mentioned Quebec. LOL!
LadyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #72
cutejellybeen
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Disney Mom View Post
I used to say New Brunswick, but then they always say "Oh, New Jersey!" or "Is that near Toronto?". So now we say "New Brunswick Canada, which is just north of Maine".

I don't even go down the Quispamsis road...
I love that when I worked at a call centre, I had some people asking where Maine was.

at least Rothesay is Usually easier than Quispam - though, I usually just say I'm from Saint John (and then explain, no NOT St. John's)

I might just start telling people Toronto lol - even when I lived in Calgary I had a hard time explaining where new brunswick was - people either thought I was a newfie or from Toronto -apparently the maritimes don't exist
Old 04-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #73
saffsmom
Mouseketeer

i always tell people that i am from Niagara Falls....which strictly speaking is not true...but "niagara region" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
and "across the river from buffalo" just confuses most people (probably because they are not sure exactly where buffalo is!)

first visit....surprise! @ CSR 09/30-10/06

saffsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #74
lengmui
Earning My Ears

I said Toronto the first few times I was asked the question and most of the people looked at me with a ??? look, so I just said Canada after that!

Funny enough, the first time I was asked where I was from was at the Monsters Inc. laugh floor show in WDW, and I was picked as one of the audience participants. When I said Toronto, a few people in the audience cheered (I'm guessing fellow Canadians or Torontonians) but the guy VO-ing for Mike didn't know where it was until I said Canada...
lengmui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #75
Evelyne
Mouseketeer

I usually say: Quebec Canada
Québec's #1 fan
Evelyne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: