Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #16
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsOrr View Post
My Husband(Donnie), Daughter (Bailey), and I (Zonia) are excited to be going on the Disney Wonder May 14. It's my Husbands first time cruising and I'm so excited that we can now go as a whole Family! My Husband is Born and raised in Victoria, but moved to Az 6 years ago. He hasn't been home for a long time, so we figured how cool this is going to be to come visit home in style by the Disney Wonder. We are really excited! We plan to visit Victoria even more after the cruise.
Hi MrsOrr, what a fun way to travel home! Have you seen our cruise meet thread for others going on this cruise, too? http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2695239
Disneyland Resort: 1993 + 2003-July + 2007-May & Nov + 2008-May & Nov + 2009-May & Nov + 2010-Oct + 2011-Jan & Nov + 2012-May & Nov + 2013-Nov
tomoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #17
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Busy, busy! FE gifts are pretty much done! We are in the process of making them look "pretty" but everything else is done.

The FE itself is still a work in progress. I finished sewing the Marie towel on to create the pocket, but it feels a little small to me and too open, so we're going to pick up another towel and make it more stocking like. Hoping it will help deter sticky fingers if it's more inconvenient to reach into.

30 days from now we will be walking down Main Street in Disneyland.

We will probably be easily recognizable as we take this little one everywhere.

This is Marie, relaxing on a lounge chair, at Aulani.

She's a gift from Austin during our first trip to Tokyo, Japan. She's a Japan Disneystore exclusive. I also bought a Duffy that trip and a Shellie Mae on our second Japan trip the year after that, but then Duffy was brought back to the US and somehow he didn't feel so special to take into the parks for pictures anymore. So in comes Marie. Perhaps Shellie Mae could've been a possibility, but I like that Marie is an actual Disney character.

I know it's a little odd for people to comprehend carrying around a stuffed animal so I was hesitant to introduce her, but she is a traveling companion. :3 Especially at Disneyland, it's always fun to see how the characters interact with Marie. Alice snuggled with Marie and spoke cat to her. This was the conversation, "meow meow, meow meow meow." The Hatter asked her when she learned to speak Cat and she said Dinah taught her.

Pluto tried to eat her and was going to drop kick her.
Disneyland Resort: 1993 + 2003-July + 2007-May & Nov + 2008-May & Nov + 2009-May & Nov + 2010-Oct + 2011-Jan & Nov + 2012-May & Nov + 2013-Nov

Last edited by tomoyo; 04-11-2012 at 04:15 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #18
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

No cruise news aside from the fact that the color towel I was eyeing to finish off our FE finally was restocked on the shelves and I bought it immediately. I know, BIG news!

So instead, a little bit of our Disneyland plans...

After reading that the princesses were returning to Ariel's Grotto as the dinner switches back to character dining, I convinced Austin we should book it while it's still WoC premium dining.

We've already dined at Ariel's before WoC and experienced the character dining there. I really enjoyed it because the princesses didn't skip over our table or rush things just because two adults were sitting there with no kids. All the other character dining we've done so far, they never really made the effort to stay and interact. Though the fairy godmother did sit down and talk about APEC with me at Plaza Inn one morning.

Anyway, we also both really enjoy the food at Ariel's Grotto. We've done the WoC premium dining at Wine Country Trattoria right after WoC came out and and found it just so-so. Since it seems most of the menu didn't change, I'm really going for the new dessert plate, but shhh, don't tell him that.

Aside from that and the reservation for Cafe Orleans to eat pommes frittes, we don't plan on making anymore reservations. Everything else will be counter service.

After looking at the flights, we might actually go up even earlier and spend 1-2 extra days at Disneyland. I certainly wouldn't mind. Although I'm actually pushing to leave Friday night so I can go to the opening of the MY LITTLE PONY Project on Saturday night. I'm not an MLP fan, but my friends are going and it'd be fun to dress up! But where am I going to find the luggage space?!
Old 04-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #19
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Yesterday was our fourth anniversary.

Chocolate chip waffle with a scoop of ice cream on top. Just a quick, small dessert for now, we will celebrate on the ship.

Last edited by tomoyo; 04-28-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #20
giftcard
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoyo View Post
Yesterday was our fourth anniversary.

Chocolate chip waffle with a scoop of ice cream on top. Just a quick, small dessert for now, we will celebrate on the ship.
Happy anniversary! Enjoying your PTR and looking forward to the TR after the cruise. We're doing the repositioning back down to LA in Sept.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #21
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftcard View Post
Happy anniversary! Enjoying your PTR and looking forward to the TR after the cruise. We're doing the repositioning back down to LA in Sept.
Thanks! Will do my best to get a TR done promptly upon return.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #22
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

It's been awhile since I updated. There's been so much to do these last couple weeks!

I'm only updating right now because I'm incredibly tired and trying to distract myself from falling asleep at work. We've decided to try fly up Friday night, so I stayed up late to finish our packing and am now functioning on three hours of sleep. The reason why I had to rush to pack last night is because today is Austin's birthday, so we're going out with friends tonight. Maybe we should've delayed the birthday dinner until after the trip.

Flying up early means more days at Disneyland though, yay! But first, we are going to stay with his family in Temple City for one night, and somehow he was able to convince then to drive us around for our "food quest" on Saturday. I guess calling it a food quest might help the non-foodie understand why we want to go to 7 restaurants and order only one or two things off the menu of each.

I decided against going to the MLP event because 1) I don't really care about MLP and 2) I simply don't have the luggage space to get crazily dolled up like I would prefer to be. I know that's a lame excuse for not going because how many chances to do I have to go trendy, cool events in LA? Well, I'm also on the hunt for a food truck. And I'll be meeting a friend for dinner at said food truck. We're bringing cupcakes on the plane from a local bakery that won an episode on Cupcake Wars, so it's important to see my friends asap so they can have a fresh cupcake. So, you see, it's not a lame reason for missing a hip LA event!

We're headed for Disneyland the next day and I'll be seeing my other friends there. Hopefully the cupcakes will still be good! The bakery says their cupcakes can last up to three days not refrigerated.

And after that, we're back to our regularly scheduled itinerary.

In the last three weeks, I still have yet to finish that FE! While it's something I could do while waiting at the airport or on the plane itself, I'd much rather finish it now! At least the gifts itself are fully done, but for the sake of luggage space, we won't be puting all the components of the gift together until we're actually on the ship.

I'm an overpacker and I KNOW I overpacked for this trip, but I can't help it and I don't want to remove half of what I packed. Hopefully the FE gifts from others won't be too big. I'm counting on the space I'm freeing up when I pass out our gifts! I made sure to consider the size, weight and durability of our FE gift and that's why we nixed my first idea.

I keep finding places that I want to try food from in Vancouver, so I've removed Stanley Park completely from our walking plans in Vancouver. From my time estimates, we should have a little bit of extra time, but I don't think it's worth going there just to see a small portion of it. I'd rather wait for another trip so we can spend more time there. It's our last night on the ship, so we're fine with returning back early.

We decided to exchange money at the bank now instead of waiting to just get change in Canadian currency but it's been a bit of a hassle. The teller neglected to mention that you need to purchase at least $100 worth, despite the fact that she actually had two chances to say so, so we had to rush to deposit more money into the account since it takes a few days for the transaction to go through. I don't know why since the bank is right next door to the currency exchange place and surely they must keep more than $100 of international currency on hand...

I wanted to make a complaint, but it's the bank Austin works at and he said it would reflect poorly on their branch. So I will secretly send her an evil glare for the extra stress she caused when I meet this coworker of his.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #23
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Another sleepless night. At least I got one more hour of rest last night then I did Wednesday night.

But I can now say we are completely packed!

I just hope I didn't forget anything because I forgot to write it on my packing list. We had to turn back around this morning because I left the outfit I was wearing on the plane hanging behind the bedroom door. Good thing I pulled out the packing list, to check if all the last minute stuff made it in the bags, right after we drove away from the house.

Every single bag is so tightly packed. I'm really considering rummaging through the bags after work to see what I can leave behind. Do I really need 3 jackets? Yes...
Old 05-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #24
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Back to the daily grind.

I've got way too many pictures to sort through and so much to catch up on. But the first thing is to find out how to get this PTR moved into the trip report forum.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #25
FergusBC
DIS Veteran

Glad you're back. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. We caught a glimpse of the Wonder after you left Victoria on Saturday night but I was so busy admiring the view that I forgot to get out my camera !!
Disney Wonder, Western Caribbean, November 2013 Trip Report ("Even better than the first cruise!", says 12 year old daughter )
FergusBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #26
giftcard
Mouseketeer

Looking forward to hearing about your trip! Sorry for the bad weather in Vancouver. It was gorgeous and sunny before and after the Wonder was here.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:46 AM   #27
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Day 1 - LA Arrival

We were in LA for a week before our cruise. Please check back later if you're only interested in the cruise portion of our trip.

Saturday, May 5

First day of our trip!

I mentioned previously that we were arriving May 8th, but as it happened, the flights on Monday weren't so great, so we decided to try get on a flight as early as possible, which would be Friday night and we got on!

So we arrived in LA at 5:00 AM the next day. The flight was early, which we actually didn't want since we didn't want to wake up Austin's family who were picking us up!

Luckily, his aunt had actually woken up early that day and we made our way to the pick up area and waited maybe 20 minutes before she got there and took us to her house.

I conked out right after we got there. I can never sleep on planes. Austin woke me up around 9:00 AM so we could get going on our "food hunt". His aunt and a cousin elected to join us.

Last year, a restaurant that specialized in steamed soup dumplings (aka xiao long bao or xlb for short) opened in our area, but they were expensive and I didn't really have another restaurant to compare it to, so I really wanted to try it while we were in LA since restaurants that serve xlb are so plentiful in comparison. XLB crawls are quite popular, so it was easy to research which restaurants were the best.

So our first stop was Dean Sin World, a little hole in the wall. I think there were only three tables.

I broke my number one rule, don't order anything else besides what you came here for. I regretted this later.

Beef roll

XLB

First stop and everyone is hungry, so we finished this immediately and headed to our next stop, Mama Lu's Dumpling House, which is much, much bigger. We scored a parking spot right in front of the restaurant.

Freebies: toasted peanuts and pickled cucumbers

His aunt wanted pan fried dumplings

XLB

Austin wanted french steak. He was intrigued by the name and wanted to try it.

We had to wait for a table and the portions were big, so we wound up taking the rest of the steak to go.

We drove around for awhile trying to find the next restaurant, Shau May, without realizing that it was in the same strip mall as Mama Lu's. We should've stayed where we were parked. There was no parking available since it was lunchtime so we hopped out and put in a take out order.

pan fried bao

As we were walking to the car, we passed a huge banner that said pineapple slush 99¢ so of course we had to go in and get some. I ended up with pudding milk tea instead.

In case you're wondering, ultimately we liked the pan fried bao from Shau May the best. It was super juicy, so much so that biting into it squirted soup across the table. It's not the same as XLB since the outside is steamed bread as opposed to won ton skin, so it's not a truly fair comparison. Out of the XLB, we preferred Dean Sin World because the wrap was a little thicker so the soup didn't leak out. The best XLB is subjective because some people might prefer a thinner wrap, but we think because these are soup dumplings, being able to retain the soup is important. A few of the xlb at Mama Lu's had leaked.

Our tiny XLB crawl done, it was time for stinky tofu. He was dreading this part.

First up was Old Country Cafe.

Stinky tofu

Fried pork chop

Fried chicken

I really enjoyed the stinky tofu. His aunt liked it too. The garlic sauce was great. Austin tried a small bite covered in garlic sauce but he said it still tasted like dog poop.

We never got around to trying the fried pork chop or the fried chicken until much, much later where we pan fried it to reheat it. I'm sure it would've tasted as good as the reviews said if we had eaten it right away.

BTW, except for that one piece of stinky tofu his aunt ate, she and his cousin stopped eating at the second restaurant. And now it's the fifth restaurant, Pa Pa Walk. They also had stinky tofu on the menu, but seeing as how everyone was now too full and the reviews were only so-so on their stinky tofu, I decided not to get it.

There was a long wait outside, so we had time to look at the weird fake food and display at the front door.

I wanted to come here primarily for the coffin toast, but there were very good reviews on the popcorn chicken so we decided to go for it. She asked if we wanted it spicy and we said no. I'm not sure how no became super spicy, but I couldn't handle it.

cream soup in fried toast

So good but so bad for you. Deep fried toast with a creamy chowder. Very chunky, too. I couldn't finish it all but I wish I forced it down. The toast just wasn't the same when we reheated it later that night, though it was probably because we left some of the chowder inside, instead of scraping it clean like we do with clam chowder bread bowls at Disneyland.

Austin got a watermelon slush, too. Which I think did him in, since he didn't really help with dessert.

Since we kept seeing pictures all over the place for shave ice, which is what Pa Pa Walk is primarily known for, we decided to go ahead and get one even though no one thought they'd be able to eat it. Or two.

mango shave ice

cappuccino snowy

We finished both of them! Thankfully this was our last stop with his family and we were headed back to rest for two hours before dinner with friends.

On the way out, I snapped some pics of two amusing signs we had seen while waiting for the shave ice (which took forever to come out!).

I got distracted by a cute store and look what I found, a car sun shade with Marie on it! I <3 Marie!

Sadly, Austin refused to let me buy it since there was no way we'd be able to carry it on the plane. This turned out to not be true since we wound up buying a suitcase since we bought so much stuff later in the week.

Last edited by tomoyo; 06-17-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:51 AM   #28
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Day 1 - LA Arrival ~part 2

We started eating at 11:45 AM and and were done a little after 3:00 PM. We found ourselves eating again in two hours.

Our friends, Kelly and Steve, came to pick us up and we went to find the Grill 'em All food truck, which was in Duarte. It looked close to Arcadia on Googlemaps, so I suggested it to her, since she likes food trucks a lot, and she agreed.

Grill 'em All has the distinction of being the only LA food truck we've eaten at twice. In the same night. We went back and got the same burger, The Behemoth. So. Good.

But the main reason I seeked out that food truck on this trip was to get their homemade tater tots. They sell out super fast so I was nervous when they picked us up late. Turns out they didn't even have it with them that day. I was so disappointed.

We discussed getting another Behemoth, but decided to try something new. They recommended the Witte (pronounced wit-e) and it was delicious.

There were some other food trucks in the area, but we decided nothing looked too interesting, so off we went.

While we were sitting in the car eating, I had asked them if they had ever eaten stinky tofu and kind of convinced them to go. I knew Kelly would be game, since she likes food a lot. Tofu King had been on my list of places to eat earlier with his family, but I had crossed it off the list when it was clear we couldn't handle more food.

I had to warn them that it would smell as soon as we walked in the door. Austin tried hard to breath only through his mouth. He did feel a bit ill and had to step out.

I ordered minced pork rice since the owner's son calls it his favorite along with the stinky tofu to share with the table.

It took forever for Kelly to finish it. Steve had already given up. I think at the end, it wasn't too bad because she let it soak in the garlic sauce forever, but honestly, I just wanted her to finish it so we could go.

It was nice to talk and all, and personally I don't mind the smell of stinky tofu, but that is seriously not the best place to linger over conversation. I think both our guys had to step outside for fresh air.

We finally got on our way and saw a Starbucks so we pulled over. Heh. They hadn't been refilling our drinks, so we were all thirsty. Lauren, a mutual friend, had just returned from Japan a few weeks ago and she had mentioned how the green tea frappuccinos didn't taste the same in LA as they did in Japan and linked to a blog post explaining how to order it so it would taste as close to "authentic" matcha (green tea in Japanese) frappucinos as possible.

I only skimmed through the blog post so I don't remember (and frankly, we do have the authentic green tea frappuccinos at home so I don't need to know how to order it), but if you're interested, here it is.

Our last stop of the night was at Moffett's, for a chicken pot pie that Kelly is always raving about. They both love it, so they stockpile them in the freezer for nights when she doesn't feel like cooking.

I didn't want to tell her that it was just okay. Perhaps she had just built it up too much for us. I also think if we had gotten it with at least half dark meat or all dark meat chicken it would've tasted better to us. All white meat was just a bit too tough. I couldn't blame it on not eating it fresh, because Austin's family lives just minutes away from Moffetts.

After they dropped us off, we finished off the rest of the leftovers for dinner. We only saved a small portion of the food and given the rest to his family for their dinner since we knew we wouldn't be able to eat it all. Then it was time to layout clothes for the next day and get to sleep. We were headed for Disneyland in the morning!
Old 06-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #29
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Great report so far. Love the food crawl! Wasn't that food truck on The Great Food Truck Race on Food Network?

Jill in CO
Old 06-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #30
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Great report so far. Love the food crawl! Wasn't that food truck on The Great Food Truck Race on Food Network?

Jill in CO
Thanks! And yes, Grill 'em All are the winners of the first season of that show! That's why we went to look for them on our last trip. Can't sit through so many episodes and not want to try their burgers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: