Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #16
robin19871
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the PM Jusero.. We arrived home 2 days ago after spending 9 days at Shades. It is sad to say but I am glad to be home.. 8 full days in the parks is just too much for us.. I needed a vacation from our vacation.. A few things to point out.. In Evergreens they have taken out 1/2 half of the arcade games. :-( In the store they you now have to show Military ID to anyone buying alcohol. (So if you are bringing guests then you have to purchase it if they are not military.) If you get food to go at Manginos Bistro to go it takes a loooong time.. The buses ran on time and were easy to get. At the MK I got food poisoning at the Main St. bakery from the breakfast sandwich.. I was the only one that had it and it was the only thing that I ate so I am assuming that it is what caused it. I was fine by the next morning. The fireworks were LOUD at 10 p.m. by the Magnolia pool.(Our room was facing the pool and we all got the full affect.) Other than my few little gripes, We will be staying there again next year for 4 days and doing a 4 day Bahama cruise on the Disney Dream.. That to me is a perfect split of running/relaxing.. I am so excited for you all that are going soon. I can't wait to hear all about it and see the wonderful pics that Jusero takes..
robin19871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #17
AlwaysMoving
DIS Veteran

I believe some people have reported that internet usage is now free and there is no smoking allowed on balconies and patios.
AlwaysMoving is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #18
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

don't all aafes scan IDs for alcohol anyway? I'm surprised that its' ONLY military ID they're doing - I thought they could scan a civilian ID just as well.
CR: July/Aug 2003
CSR: July 2009 (split SOG)
SOG: Dec 2006, July 2009, June 2011, Aug 2012
ASMo: May 2014
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #19
WDW 3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettgirl View Post
ahh perfect! Everyone bookmark it!!!

I wish there had been some little bit of notice on the closing of the older one - with a link to the new one, but all is good. Here we are.
Agree. On another site someone always points to the new site at the end not a slam shut

Thanks for starting the new one
WDW 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #20
WDW 3
Mouseketeer

We are planning a trip to WDW at the end of November 2012.... We have planned on staying at Silver Lake Resort through Armed Forces Vacation Club during our stay..... I mean $380 for 7 nights is a great price. Now reading the threads about SOG I am wondering if there would be a benefit to staying at SOG. If I were to book our reservations at SOG and free dining comes up can we get it? How does this work? Do you get all the same benefits of staying at SOG as if you were staying at a Disney resort? Like the buses to and from parks? Extended hours?

Someone answered the No free dining but as for your other questions: you do get extended hours, you can get the package delivery, you can use all the buses, Disney and SoG. That is my biggest suggestion. Use all Disney transportation along with SoG buses. You can get to AK, HS much quicker (if you miss the SoG bus by using Disney buses.
WDW 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #21
abolanwoski
Not mean, just says what others are thinking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettgirl View Post
don't all aafes scan IDs for alcohol anyway? I'm surprised that its' ONLY military ID they're doing - I thought they could scan a civilian ID just as well.
Not sure what you mean by "scan" but at the AAFES, they will ask to see your mil id (whether you look 19 or 190!) and even if you have a valid state ID/DL that shows you are of purchasing age, you cannot buy at AAFES without a mil ID. This probably has something to do with the lack of sin tax (in addition to sales tax) charged to the military on "vice" products like alcohol and cigarettes.
1999 - Beach Club & Disney Magic
2000, 07, 08 - Disneyland
2003 - Grand Floridian for Halloween
2008 - Disney Magic
2010 - BLT
2011 - Gaylord Palms

DH Me DD6 DD9
abolanwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #22
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin19871 View Post
We will be staying there again next year for 4 days and doing a 4 day Bahama cruise on the Disney Dream.. That to me is a perfect split of running/relaxing.. I am so excited for you all that are going soon. I can't wait to hear all about it and see the wonderful pics that Jusero takes..
Thanks Robin! And I want to hear all about your cruise next year. We want to do the exact same thing some time in the future and would love to pick your brains. Are you doing cruise first, then parks or parks first, then cruise? I have been going back and forth on which way to do it.

1982, 1985, Disneyland
Sept., 1995: Shades of Geen, WDW
Oct. 2006: Disneyland
May, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012: Shades of Green, WDW
Dec. 2008: Shades of Green, WDW

2011 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2745311
2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933651
2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201400

jusero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #23
emksmama
Mouseketeer

So excited to find a SoG thread!!! This is our first ever Disney trip (well, I went in 1986, but really that doesn't count as I was 15), and we are staying here July 22-27. Dad's retired USAF and there will be 7-9 of us going...SO excited!!

Until I came here, I didn't realize that SoG is ON Disney property, is that right? I knew it was close, but just thought it was nearby. Here's my question. This trip is a surprise to our girls, they think we are going to Michigan with Grammy & Grandpa. (Haven't quite figured out how to keep my 8 & 9 year olds from figuring it out as we drive from central Indiana to Florida...) We would prefer they not know we're at Disney until we board the shuttle bus the next morning to go to MK. Am I crazy to think they won't realize it?

Obviously they'll know we're in Florida when we stop at the state line welcome center (I want my free OJ!!), but we went to Ft Myers Beach last summer, so that's where we thought we'd tell them we're going this year too. Or will they see Disney signs when we arrive at SoG?
emksmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #24
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abolanwoski View Post
Not sure what you mean by "scan" but at the AAFES, they will ask to see your mil id (whether you look 19 or 190!) and even if you have a valid state ID/DL that shows you are of purchasing age, you cannot buy at AAFES without a mil ID. This probably has something to do with the lack of sin tax (in addition to sales tax) charged to the military on "vice" products like alcohol and cigarettes.
they actually scan the bar code thingy on the back of the ID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emksmama View Post
So excited to find a SoG thread!!! This is our first ever Disney trip (well, I went in 1986, but really that doesn't count as I was 15), and we are staying here July 22-27. Dad's retired USAF and there will be 7-9 of us going...SO excited!!

Until I came here, I didn't realize that SoG is ON Disney property, is that right? I knew it was close, but just thought it was nearby. Here's my question. This trip is a surprise to our girls, they think we are going to Michigan with Grammy & Grandpa. (Haven't quite figured out how to keep my 8 & 9 year olds from figuring it out as we drive from central Indiana to Florida...) We would prefer they not know we're at Disney until we board the shuttle bus the next morning to go to MK. Am I crazy to think they won't realize it?

Obviously they'll know we're in Florida when we stop at the state line welcome center (I want my free OJ!!), but we went to Ft Myers Beach last summer, so that's where we thought we'd tell them we're going this year too. Or will they see Disney signs when we arrive at SoG?
nope, you go through a HUGE welcome to Disney thing right over the road. And after that point, all the road signs are Disney signs. And there is a giant Mickey in SOGs lobby. And there will be nothing but Disney roadsigns for miles and miles before you even get there. I'm not sure how they'd not realize they were in Florida...

But..what if Dad is driving and "OOPS took a wrong turn! I wonder what's down THIS road...Oh hey, what's that sign say????? "
CR: July/Aug 2003
CSR: July 2009 (split SOG)
SOG: Dec 2006, July 2009, June 2011, Aug 2012
ASMo: May 2014
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #25
jusero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Am I crazy to think they won't realize it?

I agree with buffetgirl. Once you turn into Disney property, the gig is up. Not only will you go through a huge welcome to Disney World arch, but there will be directional signs to the various parks all along the way. Plus, you will start seeing Disney World highway signs before you even get there. Maybe you can keep them preoccupied until you get to the World, but once you are there ...

Anyway, you will have fun seeing their faces as they realize where they are. And welcome to Shades too! It is a beautiful resort and is right across the street from the Polynesian where you can walk to and catch the monorail, if you want.

1982, 1985, Disneyland
Sept., 1995: Shades of Geen, WDW
Oct. 2006: Disneyland
May, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012: Shades of Green, WDW
Dec. 2008: Shades of Green, WDW

2011 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2745311
2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933651
2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201400

jusero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #26
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

I don't think you can get on Disney Property anywhere without going under the Welcome signs, you won't even get a chance to get to SoG without them knowing
Old 04-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #27
kidsrfun
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I agree with the others that the girls will know long before you get to SOG. We have done a few surprise trips for our kids. Even if you can't wait till the last minute to find out, you can always find a fun and special way to tell them!! One time we wrote the kids letters and made a scavenger hunt for them. Each item that they found was related to the trip or disney in general. Last year, for my adult daughter-in-law, we made a DVD for Christmas (the trip was MLK weekend). My husband and I were Mr and Mrs Claus. The DVD was TWENTY minutes long and we hinted about the trip for the first 15!! She was SO SHOCKED. We have it all on video. It was a fantastic surprise! For your girls, you could either tell them before you leave, or when you get to Florida, or give them something in the car like a letter, or little Disney gifts as hints, or make a dvd if you have a player in your car. No matter what, you can make the surprise special

Keep us posted on how it goes. You'll love SOG and WDW is always MAGICAL!

February 2013 - Playing tour guide at the Pop! / August 2012 - My First Solo Trip! (SOG) / January 2012 - Holden Girls' Weekend Adventure! (POP) / Feb 2010 - First Holden Girls Only Trip to Disney (POP) / Aug 2009 - 25 Year Anniversary Trip (POP) / Aug 2004 - Chris and his Cool Aunt Trip (POP) / Nov 2000 - Surprise! We're spending Thanksgiving in Disney! (SOG) / Aug 1998 - Much needed Family Reunion Trip (SOG) / Aug 1995 - Just the 4 of us (SOG) / Many previous off site trips!
kidsrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #28
sherette7769
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin19871 View Post
Thanks for the PM Jusero.. We arrived home 2 days ago after spending 9 days at Shades. It is sad to say but I am glad to be home.. 8 full days in the parks is just too much for us.. I needed a vacation from our vacation..
Right there with you ... I've taken the whole week to try to recoup from our trip. Guess I need to add a down day in the middle of our week next time
Disneyland Paris: April 1995, August 2006, August 2008 (Newport Bay Club)

Me (uber planner) (DH) (DD - 11) (DS - 5)

sherette7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #29
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad there is a new SoG thread! Thanks for starting one. We will be at SoG in September, and I can't wait! It seems like forever away, but the time is actually going pretty quickly. We are surprising the kids and I hope I don't slip up over the summer.

Quote:
The fireworks were LOUD at 10 p.m. by the Magnolia pool.(Our room was facing the pool and we all got the full affect.)
Can you see any of the high-up fireworks from there too or just hear them?
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #30
Piglet4Ever
Navy Wife, toughest job in the Navy!!!!!!

Awesome! I found my way here. We love SOG

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: