Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #1831
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph H View Post

I have to admit, it will be hard to top the Sugar Loaf. I have had numerous comments from friends and family who know Disney that I was quite spoiled on my first trip to "the world" with a visit to Sugar Loaf. I see that I was even tagged back when I was an active member as a Sugar Loaf Fanatic. (Thanks to the mystery tagger for the designation all those years ago!) I suspect my lengthy, picture-heavy trip report had something to do with that. I do love me some pictures, and I'm not shy about taking them. I expect to do it all over again at YC--with a new DSLR!

I really debated whether to go back to GF-SL this time, but my husband wanted to try other parts of the "world" for this trip, and YC seemed like a good compromise that all four of us would be happy with. (Not that the kids would really care, but I wanted them to feel like they had a say, so we discussed it. They were excited about the nautical theme of YC!)

I will let you know how it compares, Pixarmom. My hope is that, being Disney, I will have plenty of reasons to love them both!
GF used to be our all time favorite resort!! Our last stay there was 10 glorious nights in RPC But even with the AP discounts etc, that's a wallet buster, and we generally go to WDW twice per year, so RPC was a special treat. That being said, I think you did the right thing trying something new in light of all the DVC construction over there (as well as pretty regular monorail shutdowns).

Our first time away from the monorail resorts was to BWI, which gave us a taste of the EPCOT side and we have come to prefer it over here. Then we tried the YC, and later the BC, and found our new favorite home at the YC! (And a more reasonably priced option vs RPC ) Hopefully you will love it as much as we do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan61 View Post
Well we leave tomorrow morning!!

This is such a great thread & you are all great. At this time tomorrow we will be on the plane.

I may post while there but if not I will post here when we get back.

Teena I know you are gone but will see you on Sunday!!
Have a great trip!! I love the day before excitement!!!

Also, Be Our Guest Keeper since DH and I have decided to go to Maui later this year to celebrate our 15th Anniversary, I have knocked 2 days off the end of our trip. Our correct dates are June 5-12. Thanks!!
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #1832
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks again for the welcome! I'm having so much fun going through the thread and learning things. It's just such a fun read, and is really getting me in the mood!

Tara, I sure hope you're feeling better. Dry socket is such misery.

I have to admit, it will be hard to top the Sugar Loaf. I have had numerous comments from friends and family who know Disney that I was quite spoiled on my first trip to "the world" with a visit to Sugar Loaf. I see that I was even tagged back when I was an active member as a Sugar Loaf Fanatic. (Thanks to the mystery tagger for the designation all those years ago!) I suspect my lengthy, picture-heavy trip report had something to do with that. I do love me some pictures, and I'm not shy about taking them. I expect to do it all over again at YC--with a new DSLR!

I really debated whether to go back to GF-SL this time, but my husband wanted to try other parts of the "world" for this trip, and YC seemed like a good compromise that all four of us would be happy with. (Not that the kids would really care, but I wanted them to feel like they had a say, so we discussed it. They were excited about the nautical theme of YC!)

I will let you know how it compares, Pixarmom. My hope is that, being Disney, I will have plenty of reasons to love them both!
Hopes this helps - we like BC and YC CL even more than when we stayed
GF RPC!!!!

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
DisneyMomx7 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #1833
ocalla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
Hi ocalla! I took a bunch of BC Marketplace photos over several trips last year, and I think I can see other types of milk in the case. I know they have cereal. Dee organized the photos, along with some others and posted them here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2732402 If you need more information, I can zoom in on my photos in iphoto - just let me know!
Thanks so much Pixarmom!!!! I too see what looks like Silk in the case. And I'm happy to see single serving cereal "bowls".

There is a picture that shows what looks like a microwave? Is that area in the Marketplace itself? Do you remember if there is a toaster in there also?

TIA
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 08/14 - POR/Universal
Me DH DD22 DD17 Maud Marie

ocalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #1834
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thank you, Steph! Really hope you love YC as much as we did! I've stayed at a number of resorts and love so many that it's tough to choose. That's part of the reason we're doing the split stay next year - with five of us and so many strong opinions, the split is the only solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333disneymom View Post
Thanks for the detailed information. I think many people will find this very helpful. I think you can't go wrong with any of the locations, but something about the Beach Club just fits our family more.
Thanks - I hope so! And you really can't go wrong. Just when I thought we would definitely choose BC every time, our two older boys (who previously thought they would never stay at YC and were not there with us last week) said they want to try YC. In fact, after our middle son saw the photos, he said he thinks he likes the YC rooms better. So it looks like we're adding a YC night to our trip next year! So that leads me to a question for the YC experts . . .

Question: Part of the problem for us at BC is that we're a party of five, so when we book CL, it must be either standard or deluxe. I'd really love the ability to book CL GV - is that available for a party of 5 at YC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Excellent, excellent review pixarmom- You covered everything nicely for those of us who have only stayed at one of those places.

The room sounds lovely. I like lots of windows and light!

Talk soon-

Dee
Thanks, Dee! Hope you're still having a great time and enjoying the sunshine! The room was very lovely - even though I still identify BC as my favorite, I'm more torn between the two than I would have imagined. The full balcony/sliding glass door/lots of windows combo makes YC a really good choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan61 View Post
Well we leave tomorrow morning!!

This is such a great thread & you are all great. At this time tomorrow we will be on the plane.

I may post while there but if not I will post here when we get back.

Teena I know you are gone but will see you on Sunday!!
Have a great trip!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraPA View Post
I'm so jealous hearing about everyone's trips! Everyone have a great time & enjoy BC/YC.

I'm on day 5 of dry socket (have a new one now, doc not in today, going in first thing tomorrow to get it packed). Argh. I'm starting to think this whole wisdom teeth removal isn't worth the agony!

Teena I hope you're enjoying your vacation!
Tara, thinking of you - keep hanging in there! And nice, postitive and objective review over on allears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleigh1 View Post
Just found this video photo tour of the Yacht Club rooms and thought I'd share. (BTW, it's about 6 minutes long.)

http://www.disneyeveryday.com/video-...t-club-resort/
kelleigh, this is wonderful - thanks so much for posting! Makes me so happy to see all those photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
GF used to be our all time favorite resort!! Our last stay there was 10 glorious nights in RPC But even with the AP discounts etc, that's a wallet buster, and we generally go to WDW twice per year, so RPC was a special treat. That being said, I think you did the right thing trying something new in light of all the DVC construction over there (as well as pretty regular monorail shutdowns).

Our first time away from the monorail resorts was to BWI, which gave us a taste of the EPCOT side and we have come to prefer it over here. Then we tried the YC, and later the BC, and found our new favorite home at the YC! (And a more reasonably priced option vs RPC ) Hopefully you will love it as much as we do!
Cinderumbrella, good point about the monorail. Of the MK resorts, I really love Poly, but I prefer Epcot resorts for several reasons and one of them is that I'd rather walk than wait for a bus, boat or even monorail. We didn't have any problems with the monorail last week on the few occasions that we used it, but we have in the past. I just don't like to be concerned that I'll be late for rope drop or an ADR and I never have to worry about that walking to DHS or Epcot.

But great to hear that you loved GF, and we're excited to try it next year before settling in over in the Epcot area!
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

August 2014: Last Minute WDW (ASMu)
January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL, GF, BWI!)
August 2015: DL Half Marathon!
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #1835
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocalla View Post
Thanks so much Pixarmom!!!! I too see what looks like Silk in the case. And I'm happy to see single serving cereal "bowls".

There is a picture that shows what looks like a microwave? Is that area in the Marketplace itself? Do you remember if there is a toaster in there also?

TIA
Funny you should ask! Dee requested new photos of the "food prep" area, which is located in the Marketplace to the right of the counter service area. Yes to toasters. I'll upload those photos now!

And I took this one, demonstrating the refill mug options:

And then someone asked for an updated photo of the gluten free options - it's just jellybeans, caramel corn, cookies and brownies:

Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

Old 04-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #1836
arielsleepingbeauty
I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way.

Can you get coffee at all of the refillable mug stations at Yacht and Beach Club?
If not, where is it available with the refillable mug?
Thanks
1978 - 1988 offsite , 1989, 1990 CBR, 1992-1994 offsite, 2002, 2003, 2004 All-Star Movies, 2006 Pop Century, 2007 POR, 2008 Pop Century, 2009 All Star Movies, 2010 Pop Century, 2011 All Star Music, May 2012 Yacht Club, Aug 2012 All Star Music, August 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge Villa, 2014 Wilderness Lodge
arielsleepingbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #1837
Feckless
DIS Veteran

Finally I can post at work! Had to delete all my cookies/cache. Of course now I have to retype my bank card number into internet banking but I suppose I'll live... LOL

I think someone asked about auto email replies from IPO. I've gotten one every time I've sent an email, and then a reply back usually within a few hours, sometimes sooner (or if I send the email late at night, by the morning). Speaking of, did some last minute tweaking and got Biergarten reservation for EIGHT back again! Going to go update my pre-trip report (which I am doing for ME for sure since who wants to know about all that stuff, hey? Only doing it to get it out since nobody IRL wants to hear my insane ramblings!!! ) Speaking of, got a text from the family member I'm traveling with (who I love and adore) asking what the name of the resort was that we are staying at. I had to laugh given how obsessively I've been planning this for 10 long months! Can you imagine????

Loooook at my ticker! Or not, if you don't really want to. LMAO

BC here we come!!!

Latest TR in progress: FROM SUNSTROKE TO A CONCUSSION: a Yacht Club Disney "Trip" to Remember http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post50508748

SMILES, SAND AND SUNSTROKE: A May 2012 Beach Club Trip of a Lifetime! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2927334

First Pre-Trip Report: From the North Atlantic to the World http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post43102751
Feckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #1838
Suzanne10
Earning My Ears

juice?

Are you able to get Juice any where with the \refillable mugs? just wondering!
We leave in 8 days!!!!
Suzanne10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #1839
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne10 View Post
We leave in 8 days!!!!
Nope, unless it comes from a dispenser (soda/lemonade/fruitpunch, coffee, hot water, hot chocolate) it's a seperate charge for ala carte items, there are not substitutions.

Someone once mentioned that some resorts had juice in the am in thier soda machine but I don't remember anyone finding it lately.

However if you are on the DP you can often use your 'drink' credit at qs meals for a bottle of milk or juice.

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #1840
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielsleepingbeauty View Post
Can you get coffee at all of the refillable mug stations at Yacht and Beach Club?
If not, where is it available with the refillable mug?
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne10 View Post
We leave in 8 days!!!!
Refill mugs are one of my favorite topics! Best places for refill mug coffee are BC Marketplace (open at 6am) at BC and at the Ale and Compass at YC. I know they open early there, too - got my coffee at 7am last Friday and it was clear they had already been open for a while! Both of those locations have self-serve coffee for the refill mugs. I'm not sure about coffee at Hurricane Hanna's or Beaches and Cream, but they don't open until 11am anyway.

As bookgirl said, unfortunately, no juice.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #1841
Marcya23
Earning My Ears

Hey, Everyone! Just past the 180 day mark for our trip to BC! It will be our first time staying at this resort and we will be going October13-20. MNSSHP, F&W... So excited and this board is wonderful!!
Marcya23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #1842
em36
Mouseketeer

Resort Specific Merchandise

I recently contacted the Yacht Club IPO to find out how to order resort specific merchandise for an upcoming trip. They gave me the number for the "mail order merchandise" department. Anyway, I just called the mail order department and the CM told me that they were discontinuing the resort specific merchandise. I kind of find that hard to believe since they have just fairly recently started selling it again. I wondered if she was mistaken or if the merchandise is really being discontinued.
em36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #1843
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by em36 View Post
I recently contacted the Yacht Club IPO to find out how to order resort specific merchandise for an upcoming trip. They gave me the number for the "mail order merchandise" department. Anyway, I just called the mail order department and the CM told me that they were discontinuing the resort specific merchandise. I kind of find that hard to believe since they have just fairly recently started selling it again. I wondered if she was mistaken or if the merchandise is really being discontinued.
If true, that is really sad news. In the past we bought more souvenir items since each park and each resort had specific merchandise. Since things became so generic (ie. saying Disneyland/DisneyWorld on the same item) nothing has really appealed to me. I hope this CM was mistaken!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #1844
arielsleepingbeauty
I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way.

Thank you pixarmom. I dont drink coffee and my DH never comes with us to WDW, but he is coming this time and he cannot function without it.
1978 - 1988 offsite , 1989, 1990 CBR, 1992-1994 offsite, 2002, 2003, 2004 All-Star Movies, 2006 Pop Century, 2007 POR, 2008 Pop Century, 2009 All Star Movies, 2010 Pop Century, 2011 All Star Music, May 2012 Yacht Club, Aug 2012 All Star Music, August 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge Villa, 2014 Wilderness Lodge
arielsleepingbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #1845
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by em36 View Post
Honestly, it is getting to the point that I no longer trust ANYTHING said on the phone since it seems the CMs are often reading from "outdated scripts."

I cannot imagine they are giving up on resort specific merchandise (again) so soon after they brought it back.

Just my 2 cents
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: