Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #31
SteelerCountry
Mouseketeer

seriously? are you being serious?

don't the kids take naps? how will that happen? This is just pure pinching pennies at it's finest, sorry. Wow!! You should appear on Dr. Phil. NO ONE in their right mind would "not mind" to do this. OMG. I am not pretending to know your financial situation....but...could your mom stay in her own room? This would help a little. I can't believe you even posted this..OMG again!! May I ask why you cannot rent a house? This will be a disaster and how could any of you (except maybe the baby) be comfortable? You and your husband feel comfortable sleeping with your mother in the room? (not that it's going to be a frisky weekend), but my mother would not feel comfortable at all. If it's a financial reason, I guess you gotta do what you gotta do, but $700 between you and your mom, I would sell empty soda cans before I would share a room like your doing...everyone sleeps differently, your child ages NEED NAPS!! please take pics of the room with all of your stuff in it, lol. I am literally in shock! We use to do this when we were partying as youngsters, lol.

Last edited by SteelerCountry; 04-18-2012 at 12:30 AM.
SteelerCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #32
DCLbrideSept2009
DIS Veteran

Our first trip as our blended family was in August 2009 and we had 2 rooms at the Pop. We have 4 kids and oldest brought a friend. So 7 of us in 2 rooms at the Pop. While it was great cuz it was Disney, it wasn't the best. Soon after that, we bought DVC. Next family trip was March 2010. 2-bedroom villa at Kidani with DVC points. DH and I had our own bedroom and bathroom. Oldest and her friend had their own bedroom and bathroom. The other 3 kids slept in the living room and her their own bathroom. MUCH better!!! So personally, I could never cram 6 of us into one room with one bathroom. Especially with younger kids and a baby who need to nap and go to bed earlier. Would be tough trying not to wake kids/baby. Last June we had 5 nights in a 2-bedroom at BWV with 7 of us and then the oldest and her friend flew home and we did 4 nights in a 1-bedroom at OKW with 5 of us. One bathroom. Doable (cuz still a lot of space at OKW) but not perfect. This June the oldest isn't able to come with us, so just 5 of us. We are doing 4 nights in a 3-bedroom condo at Windsor Hills. DH and I will have our own room, 2 girls will share a room and DSS will have his own room. Then we do 5 nights in a 1-bedroom at OKW. Dh and I will still have our own room. Each kid will have their own "bed" at OKW. Last time we had one kid on the pull-out chair, one kid on the sofa and one on the love seat. This time we will bring an air mattress. So one kid on the air mattress, one on the couch and one on the pull-out chair.

My advice is to look into renting DVC points. It would be really nice with young kids to be able to separate at naptime and bedtime. Or at the very least do two rooms at a value. Could separate from kids at naptime and bedtime and have two bathrooms. But really, look into renting DVC points. Having a kitchen is awesome too.
Coronado Springs Sept '09 "Disneymoon"
AKV Kidani March 2010/SSR and BWV July 2010
BWV and OKW June 2011/ASMovies Nov '11
Windsor Hills and OKW June 2012
Pop Oct '13/AKV Kidani NYE/Jan '14
Extended fam off-site June '14/POFQ Oct '14
DCLbrideSept2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #33
Gr8t Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerCountry View Post
don't the kids take naps? how will that happen? This is just pure pinching pennies at it's finest, sorry. Wow!! You should appear on Dr. Phil. NO ONE in their right mind would "not mind" to do this. OMG. I am not pretending to know your financial situation....but...could your mom stay in her own room? This would help a little. I can't believe you even posted this..OMG again!! May I ask why you cannot rent a house? This will be a disaster and how could any of you (except maybe the baby) be comfortable? You and your husband feel comfortable sleeping with your mother in the room? (not that it's going to be a frisky weekend), but my mother would not feel comfortable at all. If it's a financial reason, I guess you gotta do what you gotta do, but $700 between you and your mom, I would sell empty soda cans before I would share a room like your doing...everyone sleeps differently, your child ages NEED NAPS!! please take pics of the room with all of your stuff in it, lol. I am literally in shock! We use to do this when we were partying as youngsters, lol.
That's a little dramatic and over the top, don't you think!?!
Gr8t Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #34
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
I don't get this post. It's half snarky and judgmental. Maybe pinching pennies is the only way they can go to Disney and maybe his/her kids DON'T need naps. Don't presume to know their children, either.

Regardless - if staying at POR with that many people was the only way they could go, I would rather push the trip out further and save some more money to stay in a different hotel. OP, maybe looking into renting DVC points? Depending on when you're going, you can sometimes get moderate prices for a villa.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #35
*Fantasia*
Nothing beats a nice clean-clear cold ice water!
I could google and google all day and compare.. but I want to hear from you guys of your experience

Quote:
Like.. WOW!! OMG!!.. I am literally in shock with this post!! Like.. OMG!!
CSR~2x~ '04-'04--- POFQ 3x~ '03-'04-'05--- WL~2x~ '04-'05--- Poly 2x~ '04-04

Disney Wonder Dec 2004--- HRH~ '03--- RPH 3x~'04-'04-'05
Offsite~ '83-'91-'94-'00-'04
*Fantasia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #36
dragonfly57005
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezy View Post
My sister did this last summer with her husband and their 4 kids ages 14, 13, 4, and 2 at the time. At home, each of the kids sleeps in their own bed and the house has 3.5 bathrooms. .

The problem here is the gap between the kids.

The OP should be fine. She has small kids, not teenagers and babies.
dragonfly57005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #37
bluezy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly57005 View Post
The problem here is the gap between the kids.

The OP should be fine. She has small kids, not teenagers and babies.
It wasn't the age difference that was the problem. It was the number of people, amount of "stuff", and lack of space that was a problem. OP will have similar conditions with 3 adults, 3 kids, pack & play, stroller, luggage, and reduced storage space due to the refurbishment. I'm not saying it can't work, but people need to think about all the details and family dynamics before they decide that one room is the best option for them. It will work fine for some families but turn into a total disaster for others (as other posters have pointed out).
bluezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #38
hmillerbarilla
DIS Veteran

Ummmmm.... I'd do it.

We did it for one night just a few weeks ago. Me, DH, our 3 kids ages 8, 5, and 2 and my sister.

DH and I shared a bed, Sis slept with one kid and the other was on the pull down bed while the baby (2) was in the pack n play that fit between the bed and door.

It was TOTALLY fine. There was plenty of room. We're used to being together so it just worked.

I can see after a week it might get a little tight, but your kids are smaller than mine so if you can fit, I'd go for it. It's a lovely resort and if the price is right for you, whatever. Go for it! You can always move....

Enjoy!
82, 86, 91-Poly, 94-CBR, 95-CBR, 97-CBR, 98-CR/CBR, 99-CBR, 02-POFQ, 04-CBR, 05-CBR, 06-ASMu, 06-CBR, 07-CBR, 08-BWV, 09-Poly/GF, 09-POP/OKW,10-POR/WL/BLT,10-SSR/CR/BLT,10-OKW,10-YC/BCV, 11-BWV/OKW/BCV, 12-POR/BLT, 12-SSR, 12-AKV/BLT,12-SSR, 13-BWV, 13-AKV, 13-CBR, 13-CSR, 14-AKV/SSR, 14-CBR/POFQ, 14-ASsp, 14-AOA/BCV/OKW, 14-CBR
15-BLT
hmillerbarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #39
punn
Earning My Ears

Quote:
wow this was just a way over the top and rude for a response. I'm almost ashamed to say we are from the same area.

My mind is fine and when my family went in 2008 we stayed there for 8 nights. At the time is was me, dh, ds 19, ds 12, ds 5 and ds 1 1/2. Was it cramped sure but we knew that going into it. Did we manage, yes. Did we have fun, yes. In our family sometimes it is about pinching pennies to be able to go to Disney. I'm not ashamed of that and we as a family don't let it stop us. We were in the parks from open til close, if the younger ones needed a nap they did it in the stoller but my children weren't regular nappers. As long as you go into it with a good atitude and know it will be cramped you will survive. Its Disney you will have fun.
punn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #40
lovebug21
Going to Disney!!!!

While I do think you could do it and would do it if it were the only way to go, I think it will be very tight and not all the enjoyable, especially for the adults. Little kids don't care if you see them naked, taking baths, going the bathroom, etc. Does your husband want to sleep less than a foot away from his MIL or go the bathroom with her on the otherside of the wall? There will be very little room to play, move, get ready in the morning, etc. i would go with 2 value rooms.
lovebug21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #41
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by punn View Post
wow this was just a way over the top and rude for a response. I'm almost ashamed to say we are from the same area.

My mind is fine and when my family went in 2008 we stayed there for 8 nights. At the time is was me, dh, ds 19, ds 12, ds 5 and ds 1 1/2. Was it cramped sure but we knew that going into it. Did we manage, yes. Did we have fun, yes. In our family sometimes it is about pinching pennies to be able to go to Disney. I'm not ashamed of that and we as a family don't let it stop us. We were in the parks from open til close, if the younger ones needed a nap they did it in the stoller but my children weren't regular nappers. As long as you go into it with a good atitude and know it will be cramped you will survive. Its Disney you will have fun.
I do think having her mom being the 3rd adult along changes things a bit. It is much easier to tell your 19yr old son to suck it up and be happy with things than it is to tell your mom that! I have no problems pinching pennies myself, but we each have to decide for ourselves when it is worth doing, and what is worth spending extra money for.

I was the 3rd adult along when we did the legal 6 at POR. We had fun and we managed, but it was still a much better vacation when we moved to a suite that had much more space.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #42
miami305
Mouseketeer

Your double stroller will take up a lot of floor space. I would stay off-site instead. We're doing 5 people at POR and it is going to be cramped! Our previous trip, we stayed at the Nickelodeon hotel. We had plenty of room to relax after a long day at the park and space to store snacks and eat breakfast. I've read online that the Nick hotel is in desperate need of a refurb so I don't suggest staying there.

Space to breathe and a little bathroom privacy are precious things on any extended trip. I would change rooms or delay the trip a couple of months until you have the extra funds for bigger accommodations. We can't always afford to do what we want to do and there is nothing wrong with that. A relaxed trip at a Six Flags near you would be more enjoyable than a Disney trip wear everyone dreads returning to the room.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #43
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami305 View Post
Your double stroller will take up a lot of floor space. I would stay off-site instead.
I would also recommend that the OP stay off-site. She can get a 3-beroom condo for as little as $500 per week (or less!).
Old 04-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #44
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami305 View Post
Your double stroller will take up a lot of floor space. I would stay off-site instead.
Not totally true. We folded our double stroller and put it in the corner by the AC against the wall, hardly took up any floor space. Or you can put up against the wall right next to the bed closest to the door. Put your suitcases inside each other and stick them between the bed and the wall. I have read some people have the pack-n-play in the bathroom area, instead of between the beds. In the AM have DH take the kids to get breakfast or for a morning walk while you and MIL get ready with the baby. Have some take showers at night and the rest in the morning. There are plenty of ways to make it work.

Some of these replies are very funny, the "OMG are you serious" and "Does your husband want to go the bathroom with the MIL on the otherside of the wall?" Really??

Bottom line is that only you and your DH will have any idea if you could deal with the space. JMO

DW DH DD(10) DD(5)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(3), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #45
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

I think it would be too tight a fit, especially with the double stroller and everyone's stuff. Plus, as others said, what happens if the baby wakes up and no one sleeps? That's a lot of people to share a bathroom area, too.

I'd try for 2 value rooms, or would even consider staying offsite if there are less expensive rates for a suite.

You *could* do POR, but I don't think it would be a relaxing stay.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: