Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #76
alikat99
NO! Don't make me go to Super WalMart!!!
Where, oh where, is that Twilight Zone music?!?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1153rsmith View Post
My wife wanted me to ask where you found the supplies (ribbons and mickey buttons) for your hair bows? She absolutely loves them.
I've seen that ribbon at JoAnn's before.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #77
strega7
Mouseketeer

Thank you for all the great compliments. I purchased the mickey ribbon for the hairbows at Michaels. I think they just started carrying a line of disney ribbon because they weren't there the first time I went, but were there at my second visit. As for the mickey buttons on the front of the bows, they are actually scrapbooking embellishments that I found in the sticker isle also at Michaels. I just hot glued them on. As for the Banana Slugs, yes, you got to love the Pacific North West. We actually live very Northern California, we are about an hour from the Oregon boarder, right on the coast. At first I wasn't sure if they were appropriate, but they definately are a little piece of home I could share with the kids. On some days these little guys are everywhere ewwww.

I had a great time with the FE, I was amazed at what people gave out. There are some very talented people, and we had a terrific group of people on this cruise. I had a great time communicating with all the Dis'rs before we left for vacation together. It was a great experience.

Marci
strega7 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #78
wmharley
DIS Veteran

Location: Central-ish Florida. Roughly under an hour to Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1153rsmith View Post
My wife wanted me to ask where you found the supplies (ribbons and mickey buttons) for your hair bows? She absolutely loves them.

I've seen that ribbon at Joann's and Walmart. its a 1" ribbon. Walmart had the pink Minnie one and several others. more than Joann's.
the lack of using a smilie in any post of mine does NOT automatically mean the post was mean or in any way meant to offend you. Please do not be offended by anything I say and by the lack of a smilie.
wmharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #79
GoofTroop
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnsuch View Post

Hi there. For those who asked, the key fobs were much easier than I had expected. Using the 7/8" ribbon, I fused it to 1 1/4" webbing with 7/8" Heat n Bond, then stitched along both sides of the ribbon with matching thread on top and webbing colored thread in the bobbin.

Using a rotary blade, I cut the length to 11" and stitched the two sides together 1/4" from the ends. The key fob hardware then clamps to the stitched end covering that stitching. For ease of handling, I worked on sections of 44" at a time.
Could you please tell me where you get the hardware for these? What is it called? And do you need to use a tool to clamp it?

I know I sound clueless, but it's because I am....lol

Thanks a bunch! Love these!
Old 04-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #80
wmharley
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofTroop View Post
Could you please tell me where you get the hardware for these? What is it called? And do you need to use a tool to clamp it?

Ebay has them from someone. 25 keyfob hardware kits with 5 yards of webbing. is $16

various color webbing in 1 yard incriments.
the lack of using a smilie in any post of mine does NOT automatically mean the post was mean or in any way meant to offend you. Please do not be offended by anything I say and by the lack of a smilie.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #81
Dream_2011
Mouseketeer

Quote:

The key fob hardware only found on eBay last week I went to any places and the craft store didnt know what was that so I Orden them on eBay. And the ribbon It came very fast too.

3/12 Disney Fantasy
3/11 Disney Dream
12/09 Disney Wonder
4/07 Disney Magic
2/06 Disney Magic
2/05 Disney Wonder

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...4s2kngmz36.png
Dream_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #82
GoofTroop
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream_2011 View Post
The key fob hardware only found on eBay last week I went to any places and the craft store didnt know what was that so I Orden them on eBay. And the ribbon It came very fast too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmharley View Post
Ebay has them from someone. 25 keyfob hardware kits with 5 yards of webbing. is $16

various color webbing in 1 yard incriments.
Thanks guys! Finally found what I was looking for. Except I noticed the Mickey rings are gold plated, but I couldn't find the key fobs to match the color (they are silver)....So just doing the circular rings.....Bummer!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #83
wmharley
DIS Veteran

if you have time....

http://www.dhgate.com/75x-mickey-key...daf824d66.html

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/33...lit_Rings.html
Old 04-18-2012, 04:43 AM   #84
Dislaney4n6
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeka65844 View Post
How many people are in the typical FE group? I'm seeing people make multiple gifts for one cruise and fancy things such as t-shirts and personalized tote bags!

There's twenty some staterooms and 138 people total in the FE group for my cruise and I'm just wondering if that's more than the usual FE group.

There's no way I could do all that for 138 people!!!!
My July cruise only has about 8 cabins w/ less than 30 people. I think it is all just a crap shoot. I am leaving out of NYC... I have a feeling that there will be a lot of 'new to DCL' individuals.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #85
ranidayz
DIS Veteran is a....... Caribbean Amphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeka65844 View Post
How many people are in the typical FE group? I'm seeing people make multiple gifts for one cruise and fancy things such as t-shirts and personalized tote bags!

There's twenty some staterooms and 138 people total in the FE group for my cruise and I'm just wondering if that's more than the usual FE group.

There's no way I could do all that for 138 people!!!!
I think the number really varies. On my upcoming cruise, we have 55 families, 61 cabins and over 200 people - some are really experienced Disney Cruisers and some are total cruise newbies. FE is fun no matter what!
ranidayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #86
golfnsuch
Mouseketeer

Key Fob Sources

Quote:

Hi there. Wow! It sounds like there will be a lot of key fobs going into FE's this year.

Here are the suppliers I used:
Ribbon - eBay: ribbon-scraps
Mouse split ring - eBay: wholesale-charm
Hardware & Webbing - sewphisticated stitcher or discount embroidery blanks

As for tools, I started using pliers with a washcloth to protect the hardware from being scratched. Then I found a flat jaw welding clamp from Harbor Freight Tools which worked just as well.

Have fun!
Elizabeth

April 2009 Wonder - Our 1st Disney Cruise!
March 2011 Dream
March 2012 Fantasy MV
Sep 2012 Dream with Mom
March 2013 Back to the Wonder
golfnsuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #87
DisneyDream2B
Mouseketeer

Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnsuch View Post

Hi there. For those who asked, the key fobs were much easier than I had expected. Using the 7/8" ribbon, I fused it to 1 1/4" webbing with 7/8" Heat n Bond, then stitched along both sides of the ribbon with matching thread on top and webbing colored thread in the bobbin.

Using a rotary blade, I cut the length to 11" and stitched the two sides together 1/4" from the ends. The key fob hardware then clamps to the stitched end covering that stitching. For ease of handling, I worked on sections of 44" at a time.

I love these key fobs!
Do you think these would hold up if I just glued the ribbon, without stitching? (I don't have a sewing machine).
Thanks!
DisneyDream2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #88
golfnsuch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDream2B View Post
I love these key fobs!
Do you think these would hold up if I just glued the ribbon, without stitching? (I don't have a sewing machine).
Thanks!
You could probably skip sewing the ribbon to the webbing if you used the Heat-n-Bond, however, I don't think they would hold up long-term without stitching the ends together. The webbing may fray or the side that the hardware teeth don't grab may come loose.

Maybe do a test. Then tug, pull and otherwise give it some wear and tear to see the results.

Good luck!

April 2009 Wonder - Our 1st Disney Cruise!
March 2011 Dream
March 2012 Fantasy MV
Sep 2012 Dream with Mom
March 2013 Back to the Wonder
golfnsuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #89
postesf
Keep Pushing

Honest opinion... My cruise leaves in 37 days so I'm majorly running out of time. This is my first Disney Cruise and first FE exchange. I am planning to do one per person. That's about 170 items. I can't go too big or I will go broke! With the help of the DISigns board, I was planning to do something like a matchbook(small from a restaurant) with an individual lifesaver or mint inside. It's the DCL theme with either Mickey, Minnie...on it. Is that too cheesy/cheap? Should I try to do something else too? All these gifts look amazing! I don't feel mine is adequate enough...

OKW 2005 OKW 2006 POP 2008 POFQ 2008 SSR 2008
Check out Stacie's Weight Loss / 1/2 Marathon Journal
postesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:22 AM   #90
LemonPie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by postesf View Post
Honest opinion... My cruise leaves in 37 days so I'm majorly running out of time. This is my first Disney Cruise and first FE exchange. I am planning to do one per person. That's about 170 items. I can't go too big or I will go broke! With the help of the DISigns board, I was planning to do something like a matchbook(small from a restaurant) with an individual lifesaver or mint inside. It's the DCL theme with either Mickey, Minnie...on it. Is that too cheesy/cheap? Should I try to do something else too? All these gifts look amazing! I don't feel mine is adequate enough...
I think it sounds really cute. For us it is not really about the gifts (although some are great) My DD just loved that there was something in her FE and for us it was also getting out and around the ship. I say go for it.
LemonPie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: