Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
JustJonathan
Mouseketeer

Christmas Trip with an elderly friend

Hi all,

We're going to be doing our 3rd Christmas trip in a row this year (as well as me going in June and my first Halloween in October)!...

I have a few questions surrounding a wheelchair-bound elderly friend of ours that we are wanting to suprise and take with us... he's disney mad but has never been to disneyland and as he's in his 80th year this year I don't think believes he'll ever go! (So i'm arranging a surprise for him on his birthday with the tickets)...

My questions:

We're planning on taking the car and driving up again, even though I find the trains more relaxing, I think it'd be a bit hard for him to get around on the french TGV? (It's a 4 hour and 30 minute trip in the car).... He can actually walk quite well but not over long distances, so he will definately need a wheelchair in and out of the parks (especially as it's a long day for him).

A price quote we got from Disney for the sequoia was around £1390 for 5 nights in November, this included the disabled room that links to ours - we can book now, but this is with NO deal.... part of me says I should book just in case the disabled rooms go.... the other says I'd be gutted if a 15-25% offer came out for the end of November period later on... what would people recommend?

I'm really looking forward to seeing his face when we tell him on his 80th birthday! I'm quite sure he'll get emotional over it and not believe he's going!.. (He's an elderly gentleman that we "adopted" into the family as he's on his own)...

Thanks for any tips and assistance, as usual!

Disneyland Resort Paris @ Hotel Cheyenne for 4 nights in 2014 - Cast: Me & Mum in June
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Hotel Cheyenne for 4 nights in 2014 - Cast: Me & two friends (one a first timer!) in February
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 6 nights in 2013 - Cast: Me, Mum & Sister (11) at Christmas in December Golden Forest Room!
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 4 nights in 2013 - Cast: Me & Mum in June Golden Forest Room!
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 6 nights in 2012 - Cast: Me, Mum, Sister and a well-aged friend! at Christmas in November/December
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 4 Nights in 2012 - Cast: Me & A friend's first visit on my first Halloween trip in October!
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 4 Nights in 2012 - Cast: Me & Mum in June
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 5 nights in 2011 - Cast: Me, Mum & Sister (9) at Christmas in November/December
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 3 nights in 2011 - Cast: Me & Mum for my 24th Birthday in May!
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 4 nights in 2010 - Cast: Me, Mum & Sister (8) at Christmas in November/December
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 4 nights in 2010 - Cast: Me, Mum & Sister (8) in our First Family Trip in May!
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 3 nights in 2008 - Cast: Me & Friend in My First Trip in March!
JustJonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
jothp
Going to wash and hoover my car today in honour of the mouse

What a kind and thoughtful thing to do for your friend I believe the winter brochure with dates from november through until next April is being released in June so I think I would wait until then to see what deals come along.

Me DH dd(11)DD(9)DD(6)
Sequoia Lodge Jun 09; Sequoia Lodge May/Jun 10; Cheyenne Dec 10; Newport Bay May/Jun 11; Offsite Aug 11; Offsite and Disneyland Hotel Jun 12
jothp is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
JustJonathan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jothp View Post
What a kind and thoughtful thing to do for your friend I believe the winter brochure with dates from november through until next April is being released in June so I think I would wait until then to see what deals come along.
Thanks!

Well, I think the dates must be out for all november/december already as we got a quote (I know usually they aren't released till late may/june but thought it must be due to the 20th anniversary?)...

We got the quote, the thing that worries me is the room going, especially with there being a disabled room required!

Disneyland Resort Paris @ Hotel Cheyenne for 4 nights in 2014 - Cast: Me & Mum in June
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Hotel Cheyenne for 4 nights in 2014 - Cast: Me & two friends (one a first timer!) in February
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 6 nights in 2013 - Cast: Me, Mum & Sister (11) at Christmas in December Golden Forest Room!
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 4 nights in 2013 - Cast: Me & Mum in June Golden Forest Room!
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 6 nights in 2012 - Cast: Me, Mum, Sister and a well-aged friend! at Christmas in November/December
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 4 Nights in 2012 - Cast: Me & A friend's first visit on my first Halloween trip in October!
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 4 Nights in 2012 - Cast: Me & Mum in June
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 5 nights in 2011 - Cast: Me, Mum & Sister (9) at Christmas in November/December
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 3 nights in 2011 - Cast: Me & Mum for my 24th Birthday in May!
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 4 nights in 2010 - Cast: Me, Mum & Sister (8) at Christmas in November/December
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 4 nights in 2010 - Cast: Me, Mum & Sister (8) in our First Family Trip in May!
Disneyland Resort Paris @ Sequoia Lodge for 3 nights in 2008 - Cast: Me & Friend in My First Trip in March!
JustJonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Gwendolen
Mouseketeer

I rang the French booking number as I want to go in November, they told me to call back in May as deals haven't been decided yet I am flying from ireland , I can book from the Irish website but the only deals available is including the early booking discount, so I will wait a few more weeks, your friend will have a ball what a lovely , thoughtful gesture you are doing.
Gwendolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #5
PrettyP
Mouseketeer

Hi JustJohnathan,

I would wait if I were you. I am hoping to go for the Christmas season this year so I went to the booking section on the DLP website and was HORRIFIED at the prices it gave me. We've been there 3 out of the last 4 Christmasses and the prices I paid then were nothing like what I was being quoted this time. So out of curiosity I did an enquiry for a booking in peak season (August) and got exactly the same prices it's quoting me for November/December. I have never paid summer prices in the Christmas season (unless of course you actually plan going for Christmas itself ie. Dec 25th etc)

I would definitely wait another couple of months. Chances are you will still get a disabled room and if you're lucky, if you're still willing to pay the price you've just been quoted you might get to go to one of the better hotels (don't get me wrong I've been to the SL twice and love it but HNY is a nice treat if you can afford it - DLH is usually way off the chart, although we were very lucky with a deal in 2010)

And yes what a nice thing you are doing for this man! A few years ago I was thinking of bringing my grandmother. She was 80 at the time and in great health and I hesitated, not sure if she would be up to it and then about 8 months later she died very suddenly (she had not been at all sick before hand, one day here , the next day gone) and I have regretted ever since that I never brough her as she would have LOVED it. Go for it just take it at a slow pace and you'll all have a great time
1992: 2 day-trips from Paris city 1998: Santa Fe 2000: 1 day-trip from Paris city 2002: Sequoia Lodge 2003: Sequoia Lodge 2008: Newport Bay 2009: Hotel New York 2010: Disneyland Hotel 2012: Hotel New York 1992 trip was in summer, every trip since has been during the Christmas season!! Love it!!
PrettyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #6
TheTizardFamily:0)
DIS Veteran

Hiya

We too are visiting in late November, we've decided to wait and see if a deal pops up as it did for our last late November trip (we booked late July then - i think)

Also have to join everyone in saying what a lovely thing you're doing for your friend, what a kind, thoughtful person you are

TheTizardFamily:0) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Hi Johnathan,

I'll be honest I cannot offer much advice on the deals but just wanted to say this has bought a tear to my eye! What a lovely, thoughtful thing to do for your friend, please keep us updated on when you tell him about the surprise :-)
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Tink1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

It's such a lovely thing to do.

Do you know how many disabled rooms there are at the hotel? If I knew there were quite a few I'd wait to see if a good offer came out.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #9
TLHB70
Let me be known by the Company I keep, eclipsed by YOUR presence that I may decrease
I really like a lot of the music they play out around the park

What a wonderful thing to do! I wish you a wonderful, magical trip!

We are flying from US on December 31 so we are going just after Christmas. I am anxiously waiting for deals/pricing to be released. I know to keep an eye on this board every day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: