Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Celidh
DIS Veteran

Air Canada Drama

Normally if I am flying I book either Air Canada or Westjet, although I prefer the people at Westjet. With all the hassle Air Canada has been having in the past year with strikes, work stopages, etc. I am nervous to even consider booking a flight with Air Canada. I have no idea whether I would make it or not.

My partner and I are going to WDW the end of September. I think we are going to book on Westjet, even if it costs us a bit more. Air Canada just makes me too nervous. Of course if Westjet has outrageous prices and Air Canada doesn't, I may have to consider it. I do have a Westjet MC and have enough for one leg of my trip in Westjet dollars so that makes a difference too.

Anyone else have misgivings about Air Canada these days?

Would love to hear your opinion.

Celidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
2gr8DisneyKids
DIS Veteran

I just booked for July... one way home from WDW. It is our only option for non-stop air service on the day wen need and the non-stop was cheaper than the connection flights on all other airlines!

POLY 1979, POLY 1990, Treehouse 1993, one-day visit 1996, DL OS 2000, CR 2007, CBR 2009, POLY (Princess 1/2) & 3-night DCL 2010, POP 2010, 7-night NYE Eastern DCL 2010, 2011 AKL/POP and BLT/BC and OKW, 2012 POFQ/Vero Beach and AKV, 2013 POP (Goofy Race and a Half) and Vero Beach/CSR, 2014 AoA (Minnie 10K)
2gr8DisneyKids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
Susan2771
Mouseketeer

For the last few months while helping clients book their flights, everyone by choice has steered as far away as possible from Air Canada as an option when I list their choices. Canadians have really lost confidence in Air Canada. Even if the Air Canada rates were less expensive then the competitors my clients still went with the other airline. No one wants to go through the stress and the aggravation of their flight being cancelled or being effected by wildcat strikes or lockouts. Also the availability and cost of trying to find a last minute/second flight

Sept 2008 - POFQ
June 2009 - CBR
June 2010 -Coronado Springs
October 2011 - POR
JULY 2012 - AKL
AUGUST 2013 - AULANI
JUNE 2014 - CBR
JULY 2014 - TO THE DARK SIDE WE GO! -ROYAL PACFIC
Susan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
bankr63
DIS Veteran

Annoying

We travelled AC over March break; tickets were booked long before the labour unrest. Our first thought was Great! The strike was due to start the day AFTER we travelled - extra week in Cabo anyone? Unfortunately, that strike was cancelled and turned into work action instead.

I guess we were lucky, as we only experienced minor disruptions. YOW-YYZ leg we waited forever for baggage. When it finally arrived, it was coming up the belt at about 1 bag/30 seconds. (Think about that - it's about an hour for 120 bags to come up!)

Our flight next morning to Cabo got off without any events.

Return flight from SJD-YYZ was okay, but we hit YYZ on the day of the first pilots' "sick out". Lots of cancellations. Our flight boarded as scheduled, but was packed because an earlier flight to YOW had been scrubbed. Despite starting boarding on time, we were about 45 minutes late pushing back (ground crew delays), then stood on the tarmac for another 15 min while the pilot reconfigured the guidance system.

Landed at YOW an hour late (near midnight). Stood off from the gate for 20 minutes; they couldn't find a ground crew to bring us in (there were no other planes visible on the tarmac; until Westjet arrived about 15 minutes later). Finally got to the gate, they wouldn't open the door. Couldn't find a ground crew to unlock the doors on the jetway. Another 10-15 minutes. DW was getting worried that my fusebox was ready to short circuit.

So, in all the evening flights were dismal with delays, but we got where we going. I am sure the folks on the Westjet flight that left Toronto an hour after us, and then glided up to the gate in Ottawa ahead of us were having a good laugh.

The most frustrating thing? On every flight the FA's would announce "Welcome to Air Canada, voted Best North American Airline for International Travel" by Business Traveler magazine. Really? Business people don't care about arriving on time?

Another frustration. Just looking at prices for our trip next March. AC is about 2X the price of WJ to MCO. Guess they don't care that all their customers are walking (jogging, running, sprinting) away...

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
roxysmum123
DIS Veteran

It's the cost of Air Canada that dissuades me from utilizing it more than anything. Case in point:

Parents are travelling to France. They were originally booked on Air Canada Toronto to Paris, business class one way, economy the other. Cost: well over 6000$

Told them to check other airlines, they're now booked on Air France, FIRST CLASS BOTH WAYS, Cost: at the lower end of 4000$.

AC is highway robbery IMHO.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
sstarke
a gentle heart

I'm in the same sitch. I think I'll end up WJ for our cruise this fall. AC is less $$, but w/ a cruise I can't risk a delay.
sstarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
DisneyRookie2007
DisDad Member #660

We will avoid AC at all costs until the labour turmoil is resolved.

I'll even consider driving to Halifax for more flight options.

It's not worth the stress wondering if and when the next dispute will develop. We'll pay more $$ for peace of mind and fly WJ or another carrier if available.
2010 (Jan): POR
2012 (Mar): POP
DisneyRookie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
MikeyNS
DIS Veteran

Even though we had a horrible time in Orlando with AC, I was going to fly WJ this time but am thinking of reconsidering. My issue is that Westjet (in my opinion) doesn't have the capacity that AC does *if* something goes wrong. I know that AC has more flights out per day and lots of Star Alliance partners to help me out if need be. That little piece of mind makes my decision a little harder on who to choose for our next trip.
Aulani May 15, DCL Jan 15, OKW Marathon 15, OKW Xmas 14, AKV/DCL/AKV 14, SSR 13, OKW Xmas 12, BWV/DCL/VWL 12, AKV/DCL/OKW 11, AKV/SSR 10, BLT/SSR 09, BWV 09, AKV/SSR 07, BCV 07, VWL 06, BWV 05, SSR 04, WL 03, AKL 02
Canadian DVC Members since 2004

MikeyNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
Peaseblossom
Mouseketeer

Our experience with Air Canada in Orlando was bad - the WJ and AC counters were side by side. Both had a big line up at about the 2-hour mark, and the same number of agents, but all of the AC agents were taking 'First Class' people over the regular line, even though the regular line was 10 times as long.

Eventually we peasants revolted and stood right behind the people being helped, so they couldn't ignore us.

I really prefer WestJet and their cheesy jokes any day. Best lines - "We're proud to have some of the best flight attendants in the world. Unfortunately none of them are on this flight" and "Let's get this Boeing going". That's how you start a Disney vacation! No one on AC can even bear to crack a smile.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
grantclaire
Mouseketeer

I am worried too! Have flights booked with AC this July to Newark. Going on a Disney cruise. For next March break I will be booking with WJ. One thing I noticed this week is AC has dropped prices to Florida for December and March. Maybe trying to do some damage control.
March 2003 - offsite [COLOR="navy"]March 2004[/COLOR] - offsite March 2006 - offsite March 2007 - offsite March 2008 - 4 night Wonder March 2009 - offsite Xmas 2009 - 4 night Wonder March 2010 - Beach Club & Wilderness Lodge January 2010 - offsite [/FONT] March 2011 - 4 night Dream January 2012 - Beach Club July 2012 - 5 Night Magic
March 2013 4 Night Dream cruise[B]August 2013 [/B]Vistana Villages December 2013 Clearwater Marriott/Vistana Villages Orlando- March 2014 Vistana Villages
grantclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
hcoker1
Mouseketeer

Location: Woodstock Ontario, half way between Detroit and Toronto.

After reading this thread I thought I would check some prices for March Break, leaving on Saturday the 9th, returning Saturday the 16th. From London to Orlando. All of the flights had a connection in Toronto and the cheapest cost for three of us was $3700!!!! I think we will continue to drive to Detroit or Buffalo.

hcoker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #12
Tower
DIS Veteran

Just got a contract that requires me to fly about 6X to Vancouver over the remainder of the year. I'm only 90 min from Buffalo and will fly from Buffalo to Seattle and drive across the border rather than give Air Canada any more of my money! They just don't get it!

Past Disney Visits:
Mar 28-Apr 5, 2004 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 10-16, 2006 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 8-14, 2008 - WDW All Star Movies Resort
Dec 3-12, 2009 - CBR & Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Tour!
Feb 1-10, 2012 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 10-17, 2012 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean to Grand Cayman & Cozumel!
Nov 8-15, 2013 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #13
glenpreece
DIS Veteran

I won't fly AC anymore Westjet keeps having seat sales so for my next two trips I am flying with them Like them so much more.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #14
LuzzBightyear
Mouseketeer

I am going down for Marathon weekend in January and am already starting to dread the decision I will have to make...

Unpleasant option 1: Fly WJ from Charlottetown. Due to limited schedule, I would need to leave a day earlier than I wanted to and need to overnight in Toronto

Unpleasant option 2: Fly WJ from Moncton. Extra Confederation bridge charges, parking, need to get up extra early or overnight in Moncton for a 6:15am flight. Will not arrive back in Moncton until midnight...then need to drive back to PEI.

Unpleasant option 3: Fly AC out of Charlottetown. Very convenient schedule and I live just a few miles from Airport. But like everyone else, they lost my confidence. We went in November when the flight attendants were threatening to strike, and have lots of friends who were affected by the shenanigans this spring.

In the end, I think I will end up holding my nose and going with AC from Charlottetown, with the only reason being second week January is not prime travel time so I am guessing/hoping the AC and the unions will not chose that time to make the travelling public pawns in their disputes.

Last edited by LuzzBightyear; 04-18-2012 at 12:17 PM.
LuzzBightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
chimo2u
DIS Veteran

I am stuck now....bought our tickets back in DEC, with a 15% off pin from AC, we are flying back to Edmonton from Orlando with AC.....Going with WJ....hopefully AC won't pull any stunts that will affect us negatively. My hubby is flying AC to LONDON, England in Sept as well....the only direct flight option from Edmonton, so he'll be at their mercy too Hoping for the best

Disney Trips:January 15-23, 2008 - AKL CL Celebrating DH leave from Afghanistan | Sept 1-12, 2009 - Storming the World with Friends, AKL CL Free Dining | August 20-29, 2010 Mom n' Son only trip, First time at Beach Club GV CL/ Universal Studios PBH CL ** POSTPONED ** Mom n' Son Trip is back on FEB 5-10, 2011 BC GV/Club Level with Basic DDP/Universal Studios HRH CL Feb 10/11/12 (DS's surprise** ) Sept 29 -Oct 7 2012 Best Friend Getaway POLY CL/ HRH CL
chimo2u is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: