DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
ColonialMouse
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 43

How to switch resorts at 7 months

I'm still in the process of closing on our resale contracts, but one thing I don't understand is how to switch reservations at 7 months. Lots of people talk about reserving your home resort as early as possible, then trying to switch later, but I assume most people don't really have the points to book both without borrowing. Is it possible to do a "replacement" reservation online where the replacement cancels the home reservation? Do you call member services? Do you check availability and then cancel the home resort reservation assuming availability of the replacement won't change?

Thanks,
Bruce
ColonialMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
JAG107
Mouseketeer
 
JAG107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Ca.
Posts: 112

I just did my first ressie swap, and it was easy. I had BLT (home) booked at 11 mos, then checked online to see if AKV was available at the 7 mo. window. I just called this morning, had MS cancel the BLT res, and book AKV all in one swoop. I did not need to have enough points to double book, the banked and borrowed points needed for this res were all I had to use. Piece o cake!
__________________
AS-Sp 5/07 POP 2/08 AS-Sp 1/09 POP 11/10 BLT 1/12VAKL 11/12 BLT/VGF 1/14 BLT/BWV 12/14
JAG107 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,531

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialMouse View Post
I'm still in the process of closing on our resale contracts, but one thing I don't understand is how to switch reservations at 7 months. Lots of people talk about reserving your home resort as early as possible, then trying to switch later, but I assume most people don't really have the points to book both without borrowing. Is it possible to do a "replacement" reservation online where the replacement cancels the home reservation? Do you call member services? Do you check availability and then cancel the home resort reservation assuming availability of the replacement won't change?

Thanks,
Bruce
You have to cancel the first before you can make the second. Unless you have tons of points and don't have to borrow.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Snurk71
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 2,840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
You have to cancel the first before you can make the second. Unless you have tons of points and don't have to borrow.
I thought they fixed that in one of these upgrades to where MS could do the two transactions in one so you weren't sitting without any reservation at all (maybe it's with a hold???)? I asked an MS agent about it a month or so ago but I don't know if I described it very well - the agent didn't know what I was talking about.
Snurk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
drusba

DIS Veteran
 
drusba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,222

If you call MS at 7 months out, you can do the switch and MS can temporarily hold the new reservation while it cancels the old one so you do not risk ending up with no reservation.

However, though you can cancel on-line and then make a new reservation, there is no assurance the reservation you want will still be there after you go through the cancellation process. Thus, if you try to do it on-line, you risk the possibility of losing your original reservation and not getting the new one.
__________________
Everything has to have a beginning and an end ... but it is not necessary to have a purpose in between.
drusba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
disneymomjcs
DIS Veteran
 
disneymomjcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 780

I am hoping to do this for our Christmas Reservation. We are at SSR over Christmas and New Years hoping to switch to AKV. Although due to some Plumbling issues and a new job after a long unemployment we may have to scrap the trip all together. I am trying to be hopeful. Hopeful our plumbing issue will not require extensive repairs.
disneymomjcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #7
ColonialMouse
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 43

Thanks. I guess I'll hope they add a "replace this reservation" in the future for online, but for now it sounds like calling MS.

Bruce
ColonialMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #8
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 17,730

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusba View Post
If you call MS at 7 months out, you can do the switch and MS can temporarily hold the new reservation while it cancels the old one so you do not risk ending up with no reservation.

However, though you can cancel on-line and then make a new reservation, there is no assurance the reservation you want will still be there after you go through the cancellation process. Thus, if you try to do it on-line, you risk the possibility of losing your original reservation and not getting the new one.
Not always true.

We lost a club level reservation at Jambo during a switch 2 months ago. I was told that until the new reservation is actually being booked, the inventory can change.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #9
gmi3804
DIS Veteran
 
gmi3804's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 679

Couldn't you find the new reservation, and then open a new browser window to cancel the old one before continuing with the new?
__________________


Stupid Judy.
gmi3804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 7,994

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmi3804 View Post
Couldn't you find the new reservation, and then open a new browser window to cancel the old one before continuing with the new?
how are you going to "hold" the new reservation without any points?

it will still show as available until you refresh and then you'll find that i booked it out from under you while you were still canceling your old reservation...
__________________
-Charles

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
gmi3804
DIS Veteran
 
gmi3804's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 679

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmi3804 View Post
Couldn't you find the new reservation, and then open a new browser window to cancel the old one before continuing with the new?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
how are you going to "hold" the new reservation without any points?
You don't allocate points until the following screen, right?
Quote:

it will still show as available until you refresh and then you'll find that i booked it out from under you while you were still canceling your old reservation...
Huh?
__________________


Stupid Judy.
gmi3804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
Cant wait for Disney
DIS Veteran
 
Cant wait for Disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 752

Hoping to piggyback on this thread with an additional question- if i can only switch the first 7 days of my 11 day trip when i call on the 7 month mark, what will my reservation end up looking like? Right now we have a THV. Let's say for laughs we get BCV for the first 7 days-will my reservation details now show a trip from day 1-7 at one place, and then a new ressie number for what would be a separate trip days8-11 at the THV? I hope that makes sense!
__________________



me (31) dh (33) DS (3) DS (1)

1st trip-off site 1990's, 2nd-Wilderness Lodge, 3rd-Disney Cruise, 4th-Boardwalk Inn 5th-1999 class trip offsite, 6th-2001 class trip-All Star Music, 7th-2009 Just me and DH Coronado Springs, 8th-2009 Mom's 50th-Yacht Club, 9th-2011 Boardwalk Villas, 10th-2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge, Kidani Village,
Cant wait for Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 7,994

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmi3804 View Post
You don't allocate points until the following screen, right?
hmmm...ok, i looked at it again and i was wrong.

that is weird that you can hold a room for an hour without having to allocate pts first. you'd think if we could hold a room that MS would be able to.
__________________
-Charles

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #14
Pirate Granny
DIS Veteran
 
Pirate Granny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 920

I was told very firmly, that I had to cancel, and take my chances that BLT would still be available...was very nervous and felt like telling the nice man to quit being nice and BOOk the darn ressie success!... Whewww going to be trying again on the 28th.
__________________
Pirate Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #15
ColonialMouse
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
hmmm...ok, i looked at it again and i was wrong.

that is weird that you can hold a room for an hour without having to allocate pts first. you'd think if we could hold a room that MS would be able to.
Oh. So it IS possible to hold a new reservation while cancelling the old one?

Bruce
ColonialMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.