DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
ColonialMouse
Earning My Ears

How to switch resorts at 7 months

I'm still in the process of closing on our resale contracts, but one thing I don't understand is how to switch reservations at 7 months. Lots of people talk about reserving your home resort as early as possible, then trying to switch later, but I assume most people don't really have the points to book both without borrowing. Is it possible to do a "replacement" reservation online where the replacement cancels the home reservation? Do you call member services? Do you check availability and then cancel the home resort reservation assuming availability of the replacement won't change?

Thanks,
Bruce
ColonialMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
JAG107
Mouseketeer

I just did my first ressie swap, and it was easy. I had BLT (home) booked at 11 mos, then checked online to see if AKV was available at the 7 mo. window. I just called this morning, had MS cancel the BLT res, and book AKV all in one swoop. I did not need to have enough points to double book, the banked and borrowed points needed for this res were all I had to use. Piece o cake!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialMouse View Post
I'm still in the process of closing on our resale contracts, but one thing I don't understand is how to switch reservations at 7 months. Lots of people talk about reserving your home resort as early as possible, then trying to switch later, but I assume most people don't really have the points to book both without borrowing. Is it possible to do a "replacement" reservation online where the replacement cancels the home reservation? Do you call member services? Do you check availability and then cancel the home resort reservation assuming availability of the replacement won't change?

Thanks,
Bruce
You have to cancel the first before you can make the second. Unless you have tons of points and don't have to borrow.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Snurk71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
You have to cancel the first before you can make the second. Unless you have tons of points and don't have to borrow.
I thought they fixed that in one of these upgrades to where MS could do the two transactions in one so you weren't sitting without any reservation at all (maybe it's with a hold???)? I asked an MS agent about it a month or so ago but I don't know if I described it very well - the agent didn't know what I was talking about.
Snurk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
drusba

DIS Veteran

If you call MS at 7 months out, you can do the switch and MS can temporarily hold the new reservation while it cancels the old one so you do not risk ending up with no reservation.

However, though you can cancel on-line and then make a new reservation, there is no assurance the reservation you want will still be there after you go through the cancellation process. Thus, if you try to do it on-line, you risk the possibility of losing your original reservation and not getting the new one.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
disneymomjcs
DIS Veteran

I am hoping to do this for our Christmas Reservation. We are at SSR over Christmas and New Years hoping to switch to AKV. Although due to some Plumbling issues and a new job after a long unemployment we may have to scrap the trip all together. I am trying to be hopeful. Hopeful our plumbing issue will not require extensive repairs.
disneymomjcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #7
ColonialMouse
Earning My Ears

Thanks. I guess I'll hope they add a "replace this reservation" in the future for online, but for now it sounds like calling MS.

Bruce
Old 04-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #8
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusba View Post
If you call MS at 7 months out, you can do the switch and MS can temporarily hold the new reservation while it cancels the old one so you do not risk ending up with no reservation.

However, though you can cancel on-line and then make a new reservation, there is no assurance the reservation you want will still be there after you go through the cancellation process. Thus, if you try to do it on-line, you risk the possibility of losing your original reservation and not getting the new one.
Not always true.

We lost a club level reservation at Jambo during a switch 2 months ago. I was told that until the new reservation is actually being booked, the inventory can change.

Bill

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #9
gmi3804
DIS Veteran

Couldn't you find the new reservation, and then open a new browser window to cancel the old one before continuing with the new?

Stupid Judy.
gmi3804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmi3804 View Post
Couldn't you find the new reservation, and then open a new browser window to cancel the old one before continuing with the new?
how are you going to "hold" the new reservation without any points?

it will still show as available until you refresh and then you'll find that i booked it out from under you while you were still canceling your old reservation...

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
gmi3804
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
how are you going to "hold" the new reservation without any points?
You don't allocate points until the following screen, right?
Quote:

it will still show as available until you refresh and then you'll find that i booked it out from under you while you were still canceling your old reservation...
Huh?

Stupid Judy.
gmi3804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
Cant wait for Disney
DIS Veteran

Hoping to piggyback on this thread with an additional question- if i can only switch the first 7 days of my 11 day trip when i call on the 7 month mark, what will my reservation end up looking like? Right now we have a THV. Let's say for laughs we get BCV for the first 7 days-will my reservation details now show a trip from day 1-7 at one place, and then a new ressie number for what would be a separate trip days8-11 at the THV? I hope that makes sense!

me (31) dh (33) DS (3) DS (1)

1st trip-off site 1990's, 2nd-Wilderness Lodge, 3rd-Disney Cruise, 4th-Boardwalk Inn 5th-1999 class trip offsite, 6th-2001 class trip-All Star Music, 7th-2009 Just me and DH Coronado Springs, 8th-2009 Mom's 50th-Yacht Club, 9th-2011 Boardwalk Villas, 10th-2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge, Kidani Village,
Cant wait for Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
You don't allocate points until the following screen, right?
hmmm...ok, i looked at it again and i was wrong.

that is weird that you can hold a room for an hour without having to allocate pts first. you'd think if we could hold a room that MS would be able to.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #14
Pirate Granny
DIS Veteran

I was told very firmly, that I had to cancel, and take my chances that BLT would still be available...was very nervous and felt like telling the nice man to quit being nice and BOOk the darn ressie success!... Whewww going to be trying again on the 28th.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #15
ColonialMouse
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
hmmm...ok, i looked at it again and i was wrong.

that is weird that you can hold a room for an hour without having to allocate pts first. you'd think if we could hold a room that MS would be able to.
Oh. So it IS possible to hold a new reservation while cancelling the old one?

Bruce

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: