Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Mummycat
Mouseketeer

Smile Mummycat

Hi we've just booked to stay at old key west September 2013 and wondered if anybody has recommendations for the best location on site. Don't fancy listening to buses or overlooking a pool, like the idea of quiet but not too isolated- we have a 7 and 9 year old. Not sure how good they are at listening to requests when allocating the rooms but it's worth a shot! Thanks
Mummycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

Welcome to the boards! You will get a better answer if you post to the DVC boards. The Old Key West experts will be able to recommend locations to request.
BriarRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Lori is right - the Moderators should probably move this to the DVC board.

Val & I love the Turtle Pond area, especially building 35. The buildings there are fairly isolated and the bus noise is minimal, but its a short walk to the local quiet pool. It is a bit of a walk to the gift shop/restaurant area; probably 10+ minutes.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
OKW Lover

Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Oh, and they are pretty good at honoring requests. Be sure you have them listed on your reservation.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
dalt01
DIS Veteran

welcome, last year we requested Hospitality House, which are the buildings in close proximity to the main building and feature pool, and wished we had not. we found ourselves wishing we were a bit more secluded. for this year........35 more days actually.........we just left it to chance and if we get a close building i am going to ask for something a bit out there maybe turtle pond or millers road. your other new friends are right, if a request can be filled it will be, without a hassle. the only downside to this resort is the quick service food location,which, as is the case with this level of disney resort, leaves much to be desired.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

My favorite area is Miller Road. Not too close to the Hospitality House, but close enough that it's an easy walk. We like the quiet pool there and being close to the bus stop. I prefer building 19 or 20. Also, try to avoid rooms on the 3rd floor...it is a HIKE up those stairs, especially with two little ones. The second floor is okay, but I will never stay in a 3rd floor room again. (Most buildings at OKW don't have elevators)
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream

Last edited by WaltD4Me; 04-13-2012 at 11:19 PM.
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
OKW Lover

Only buildings 60 and higher have elevators.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #8
Bornteach

We love building 41. It is right off a pool and the buses do not seem to run past.

Bornteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Hi There!

I love Old Key West. I think it is a great resort and very peaceful. There's quite a few threads over at the resorts forum about OKW. I'm going to move this over there so that you get more replies than you have here. In the meantime, I'd love to see you post more about your thoughts on the podcast!

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
Mummycat
Mouseketeer

Smile Mummycat at old key west for the first time

Thanks for all the lovely responses you've made me feel so welcome. I'm slowly finding my feet with the site so hopefully I'll be posting in the write places soon!
Soooo excited to be going back to Florida- we love Disney and America.
We booked on line and weren't given any options for rooms etc so hopefully if we phone up our prefernces will be added on.
So which is quieter 1st, 2nd or 3rd floor room villas?
Old 04-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
OKW Lover

3rd floor has the benefit of not having people above you. Because of the design of some of the buildings, in some buildings the end units on then 2nd floor is the top floor so instead of specifying "3rd floor" you could say "top floor". We've found that some families feel its perfectly fine to let their child jump up and down in their unit, which makes noise in the unit below.

Last edited by OKW Lover; 04-15-2012 at 03:01 PM.
OKW Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
Mummycat
Mouseketeer

Smile

Ok getting closer to an ideal choice of building, probably going for a quiter option perhaps turtle pond area or buildings 45/46. Only concern is do you hear much road noise from the nearby roads- Buena vista drive or Bonnet creek pathway? I know it's only a request and no guarantees but if I'm going to try I want to get it right!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: