DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
candielips
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by permavac View Post
This is where we are. We were lucky to only have had enough money at the time to buy a 25-point resale contract at HHI. Fast forward a few years and now that we have the cash to buy again, we are (hopefully) buying a small BWV and OKW contract (in ROFR right now). We will sell the HHI once we close on the other 2. Funny though - we may find ourselves doing this again. We've never stayed at OKW and while I think we might enjoy it we LOVE BWV and would rather have all our points there. But, we needed to pull the trigger quickly because we wanted to close in time to book a trip for early next year with our in-laws and the OKW contract was loaded. So we'll see. I know in the long run it will cost us to add-on at BWV and then sell the OKW but I would do it if we kept finding ourselves not able to get into BWV at 7 months... That's really the only problem I see.

Terri
I would never sell SSR to rebuy AKL. To me, that is just too much of a loss. If I had that extra money, I would simply buy more points at AKL and keep my SSR.
I was curious if there was a way to change it through member services and pay a price per point.
But thanks for all of the great replies.
We took our 1st DVC vacation in Jan of this year and had the pleasure of staying at BLT and loved it!
We are hoping to stay at AKL next new years eve for 12 nights
Old 04-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #17
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by candielips View Post
We are new owners, less than a year, and own at SSR. After being owners for the past 9 months I find myself wishing everyday that we would have bought AKV.
We bought at SSR because of the THV and now that they have gone up the 2 bdrms at AKV are more in our price range.
Anyone ever heard of someone changing their home resort?
The cost to sell and rebuy is a min of one closing cost plus 10% commission. In this case, you'd also need to add the difference in price between the 2. That's maybe $3500 on 200 pts, it's usually better just to add a smaller contract using those dollars as a portion.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #18
candielips
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
The cost to sell and rebuy is a min of one closing cost plus 10% commission. In this case, you'd also need to add the difference in price between the 2. That's maybe $3500 on 200 pts, it's usually better just to add a smaller contract using those dollars as a portion.
That was exactly my thought.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #19
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

Yep, all the time. We own at BWV and would much rather be at OKW. We bought when that was all there was and there was nothing available at OKW (at least through Disney. at that time we had no knowledge about a resale market. I wonder now if there was much of one back then). Too expensive to change it now, and fortunately we haven't ever had a problem getting what we want at OKW, so not a big deal.

At any rate, we just OKW. Wish we had been in a financial situation to purchase when it first opened, but alas...sometimes that personal responsibility gene..

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis

Last edited by Kathi OD; 04-14-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #20
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi OD View Post
Yep, all the time. We own at BWV and would much rather be at OKW. We bought when that was all there was and there was nothing available at OKW (at least through Disney. at that time we had no knowledge about a resale market. I wonder now if there was much of one back then). Too expensive to change it now, and fortunately we haven't ever had a problem getting what we want at OKW, so not a big deal.

At any rate, we just OKW. Wish we had been in a financial situation to purchase when it first opened, but alas...sometimes that personal responsibility gene..
One thing to keep in mind is that you can almost always get a contract at any of the DVC resorts. They really push the "current" DVC resorts (right now it's AKV and AUL with a little BLT left), but if you ask enough they will give up that fight to get you what you want. You might have to be put on a waiting list, but DVD can always ROFR a resale contract and sell it to you.

In your case though, assuming you don't have a balance, you could probably sell your BWV and buy a replacement contract at OKW. Even after the commissions, you would probably end up with more money or more points. Keep in mind that you would lose the privileges of owning direct. Seems like a lot of hassle to go through, but it's something to look into anyway.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #21
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
In your case though, assuming you don't have a balance, you could probably sell your BWV and buy a replacement contract at OKW. Even after the commissions, you would probably end up with more money or more points. Keep in mind that you would lose the privileges of owning direct. Seems like a lot of hassle to go through, but it's something to look into anyway.
While the numbers aren't as bad for downgrading resorts as it is for upgrading at least on the surface, the principles still hold because you'd now own something worth less dollar wise. So ultimately you'd still have almost exactly the same losses. In addition, other than maybe a GV and about 3-4 weeks of the year, one can always get something at OKW 7 months out. IMO the only way this makes sense from a dollar standpoint is if one is downsizing significantly. The rest is simply personal preference.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #22
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katieam1 View Post
I am happy with my home resorts, however I do wish we had more points at each. LOL

I feel the same way sometimes

We too love our home resorts (we own at both BLT and SSR) because of the location of BLT and the serenity and quietness that SSR brings. Now with that said, sometimes I wish we bought into BCV (our favorite resort thus far) too, but even though we didn't, that doesn't mean that we can't trade into it at our 7 month mark (we go more at non peak times)...and we haven't had a problem doing so either .
Old 06-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #23
disney_bob
Mouseketeer

Hopefully this isn't considered bringing up a dead thread, but I was just thinking to myself "boy, if they ever build at polynesian I don't know what I'll do". I hardly think I'll be able to afford two contracts of the same magnitude, nor do I think i'd want to stay anywhere but the polynesian

Its too bad they don't somehow offer a service where you pay a fee/penalty and can "upgrade" (still paying the difference) to the resort of your choice. Of course, this would have to be limited to say once every ten years. But I'd do it in a heartbeat for Polynesian.
disney_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #24
AllieV
DIS Veteran

Is there a way to do a contract swap with someone? For example, take over a BCV from someone who doesn't want the higher fees and give them your longer, cheaper SSR (assuming the same or close points)? I was wondering this anyway and this seems like the appropriate thread to pose the question. I'd think it would save the hunting and realtor fees. And if you could trust the person, it would even save the title search and title insurance.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #25
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieV View Post
Is there a way to do a contract swap with someone? For example, take over a BCV from someone who doesn't want the higher fees and give them your longer, cheaper SSR (assuming the same or close points)? I was wondering this anyway and this seems like the appropriate thread to pose the question. I'd think it would save the hunting and realtor fees. And if you could trust the person, it would even save the title search and title insurance.
It's still a sale and repurchase for both parties. Both transactions would still have to go through ROFR.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #26
AllieV
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
It's still a sale and repurchase for both parties. Both transactions would still have to go through ROFR.
There are situations where someone will sign over a contract to an adult child. That doesn't go through ROFR, right? So couldn't you each just sign over your title?
Old 06-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #27
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieV View Post
There are situations where someone will sign over a contract to an adult child. That doesn't go through ROFR, right? So couldn't you each just sign over your title?
Even the gratuitous transfers go through ROFR. It's pretty much a given that DVC will sign off on them but they do go through the process.

But odds of finding two people that wanted to exchange for the exact property the other person has and just make even steven is nothing I'd bet on happening. Most likely there would always be some sort of cash included on one side.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #28
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
Even the gratuitous transfers go through ROFR. It's pretty much a given that DVC will sign off on them but they do go through the process.

But odds of finding two people that wanted to exchange for the exact property the other person has and just make even steven is nothing I'd bet on happening. Most likely there would always be some sort of cash included on one side.
Each transfer is handled separately as independent events. An even swap is not a gratuitous event.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #29
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Each transfer is handled separately as independent events. An even swap is not a gratuitous event.
I actually didn't mean to imply that it was. What I did want to clarify is that even a transfer from parent to child has to go thru ROFR.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #30
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
I actually didn't mean to imply that it was. What I did want to clarify is that even a transfer from parent to child has to go thru ROFR.
OK, thanks for clarifying. Your second paragraph threw me off when you seemed to be talking about the exchange of ownership. As for your intent, as clarified, yes and no. DVC has chosen to go the route of ROFR process to handle this situation but it is not a requirement that's inherent. Also, while ROFR are generally recorded, I can see no reason that this has to be done for this situation. Maybe someone else knows something about this that I don't but I see no downside to not recording ROFR for a family transfer and possibly not for any sale as long as you have it. I can't imagine DVC checks online for it and they don't require a copy of the recorded ROFR back to change the names.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: