Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Hong Kong Disneyland
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #556
Mum from oz
DIS Veteran

Well it sounds like you had plenty to keep you "entertained" on the flight over. Can't wait to hear about Disney.
2013 - Vegas Wedding, Western Caribbean Fantasy Cruise, WDW 1st time onsite!!
Mum from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:41 AM   #557
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Glad you made it, was that $18 total or $18 per person?

When I think about flights, I remember when our College Concert Band flew to Europe. The Conductor flew over several days before so that he was not on the same flight with us. I remember that cocktails were complimentary. At some point the stewardess came over to our group (who had essentially turned the plane into a "bus tour") and handed over all the little bottles of alchohol saying, "This is what is left in the bar!"

I'm not sure anything could have been worse than that barring terrorist takeover!
Alison ~~~~ I do get to go to WDW this year! | Our Disney Dream Home| Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR |It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #558
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Ooh can't wait to hear all about it! Sorry to hear you got sick, hope you're feeling better now.

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (Howard Johnson & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HK Disneyland Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) with HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:48 AM   #559
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Green= go, to Disney. Check!
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #560
aussietravellers
who LOVE disney holidays!

Location: Australia or Austria... they are the same place aren't they?

Welcome Home PIO

Initial adventure sounds good. Had a chuckle about your plumbers crack view on the plane and imagining 5 people and their luggage squashing into that tiny taxi

So looking forward to the rest of your TP
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2009 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
aussietravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:22 AM   #561
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Ahh....The limping kangaroo living up to its reputation.....
I would be more concerned about cracks in the wings than the plumber...
queenie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #562
SCHBR'smom
My mind is as clear and focused as.... oh, look

You can ignore my chores, too

I came to ignore you in person.

You may now call me SCHBRVM'smom.
SCHBR'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #563
eeyore7360nc
DIS Veteran

Joining in. Can't wait to see your pictures!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #564
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

I hate long flights, this last one to Amsterdam I took two benadryls so I could sleep most of the way, that was the only way I could make it that long on a flight.

Glad you are all home now...

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #565
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Sorry you were sick two of the days, but I am glad you had a good time. 4000-5000 pictures! How many gigs did you end up using. Inquiring minds want to know. That sandwich just made me hungry. Sounds like an interesting flight. You could have written a sitcom around it, lol. $18 is cheap for a taxi. Off to a good start. Yay.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #566
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
Hmm....interesting and entertaining flight. I would of said something about something being near me like that. No tv on the flight? Long flight give me something to knock me out.

Sounds so expensive dollars wise with a taxi. But 18 dollars is very doable. but yeah you made it!!! Its gonna get entertaining with you!
There was in-flight entertainment on board. I ended up watching 4 movies during the way but it was just as interesting watching people in 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
I enjoyed the entertainment details, very interesting flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum from oz View Post
Well it sounds like you had plenty to keep you "entertained" on the flight over. Can't wait to hear about Disney.
Thankfully Disney was at the "phirst" part of the trip and not on day "phat", like we all wanted it to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Glad you made it, was that $18 total or $18 per person?

When I think about flights, I remember when our College Concert Band flew to Europe. The Conductor flew over several days before so that he was not on the same flight with us. I remember that cocktails were complimentary. At some point the stewardess came over to our group (who had essentially turned the plane into a "bus tour") and handed over all the little bottles of alchohol saying, "This is what is left in the bar!"

I'm not sure anything could have been worse than that barring terrorist takeover!
$18 total for the entire taxi trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
Ooh can't wait to hear all about it! Sorry to hear you got sick, hope you're feeling better now.
Thanks. Antibiotics seem to be doing the trick....and lots of bed rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
Green= go, to Disney. Check!
Go directly to Disney? Does this mean I pass go and collect $200?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussietravellers View Post
Welcome Home PIO

Initial adventure sounds good. Had a chuckle about your plumbers crack view on the plane and imagining 5 people and their luggage squashing into that tiny taxi

So looking forward to the rest of your TP
Thanks! 5 people in the taxi on the way to Disney wasn't as bad as 5 people with more luggage on the way BACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie82 View Post
Ahh....The limping kangaroo living up to its reputation.....
I would be more concerned about cracks in the wings than the plumber...
That little kangaroo exceeded expectations.....the in-flight entertainment worked (DS was happy), the flight took off on time and arrived ahead of schedule. Two meals were served; and snacks....no sign of maggots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHBR'smom View Post
I came to ignore you in person.
Excellent. Go right ahead. I'll assume you're not sharing popcorn either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore7360nc View Post
Joining in. Can't wait to see your pictures!

Nice to see you here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
I hate long flights, this last one to Amsterdam I took two benadryls so I could sleep most of the way, that was the only way I could make it that long on a flight.

Glad you are all home now...
Thanks. I'm glad to be home too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmedina View Post
Sorry you were sick two of the days, but I am glad you had a good time. 4000-5000 pictures! How many gigs did you end up using. Inquiring minds want to know. That sandwich just made me hungry. Sounds like an interesting flight. You could have written a sitcom around it, lol. $18 is cheap for a taxi. Off to a good start. Yay.
Nearly 32 GB.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #567
PrincessInOz
in

Disneyland Resort – Style, Confucion and Elegance

We have arrived at the Disneyland Hotel. This hotel was the second hotel to be built on the HK Disney premise in 2005. It was modelled after the Grand Floridian in WDW and the Disneyland Hotel in Paris; which means that the Hotel del Coronado was the inspiration for the exterior styling of red turrets and Victorian grace.

Despite the lateness of the hour, there were ample cast members on duty. Bellhops hopped to help us with our bags and to open doors for us. The service was exemplary and what you would expect of Disney. We would eventually hand over a $40 tip (nearly $6) to the bellhop that brought our bags to the room. DH was later advised by my mother that it was the custom but a single $20 note was the going rate. I think we felt better about the $40 because it felt more aligned with what we were used to paying bellhops in the US. For the Aussies reading this, yes…..I know there are varied viewpoints about tipping. What can I say other than we do tend to spend a great deal to time in the US?

The first time I walk into a Disney hotel foyer always brings tears to my eyes. In the case of the Disneyland Hotel, I was gobsmacked by the elegance. It may have been a tad smaller in size to the deluxe hotels in Orlando; but it certainly rivals them in the expected Disney details.

From the floor as you walk in….

…to the cavern space we all expect from a Disney hotel lobby.

In case anyone mistakes this for anything else, the Big Cheese stood to remind us where we were.

It was late at night (near 11 pm Hong Kong time but 1 am Melbourne time) and I really couldn’t see much beyond my nose.

I attempted one of my artsy fartsy shots and it wasn’t till I unpacked the pictures at home that I realised that I had fluked a Hidden Mickey.

I swiped this shot from DH. It shows registration.

Confucius say “Without knowing the force of words, it is impossible to know more”

The Asian features of the Cast Members and the language were the things that struck me straight away. The first CM that helped me noticed that I was Asian and asked if I spoke Cantonese. I responded “ngo saik teng; em saik kong” which roughly translates to “I understand but can’t speak”. It brought a different reaction than I expected. Turns out I was the perfect guinea pig for another one of the Cast Members. In his case…he understood English but didn’t speak it well. Don’t tell any of my fellow travellers and definitely not DS; but with that simple innocuous reply, our check-in took double the time it needed to.

The second CM would speak Cantonese to me. I then repeated in English to make sure that I understood correctly and he would either agree with me or provide more verbage in Cantonese depending on whether I understood correctly or not.

My fellow travellers still think that check-in took a long time because I told them I had to complete the two Magic Access Passes for the seniors with me. But really the truth was because I had wanted to practise my long forgotten Cantonese.

This action set the trend for the rest of the Disney section of the trip. At least 3 other CM at the resort were more than happy for me to practise my kitchen Cantonese on them. All the CM spoke English well enough and we always had the safety net of being able to revert back to English (or Cantonese) at any point. And I got to improve my Cantonese a little.

One thing to be aware of with registration…. The room key at Hong Kong is just a room key, it isn’t a KTTW; but as with any Disney resort, you can set up room charge. There is a pre-validation swipe of the credit card required and for the two rooms, my CC validation total came to $5000. I think this equated to about $600 - $700 in our money. However, unlike other hotels and stories I’ve been reading recently, when you check-out and pay for your room charges, HKDL will ONLY claim the room charges. You will not see the pre-validation amount on your credit card.

And with registration complete, we headed to our rooms. We were allocated rooms 5021 and 5019…side by side.

I swiped this picture from DH…our rooms were in this direction.

Disney touches were everywhere! This table was where our lift well was.

Don’t you just adore the fan?

Inside of the lift…and heading towards our floor.

(Continued in Next Post)

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 04-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #568
PrincessInOz
in

(Continued from Previous Post)

The Lobby - at night

Before I head to the floor and our room, I had to post a couple more shots of the lobby. After we got to the rooms and unpacked, I snuck down to take these shots at night.

Looking towards the end of the lobby. If the entry is 12 o’clock, this end is 6 o’clock.

12 o’clock - Looking towards the entry of the hotel.

3 o’clock - An iron lift graced the centre of the lobby.

The passageway for our set of lifts was located directly behind the iron lift. Between 12 o’clock and 3 o’clock was registration.

It did feel like a well-loved and elegantly decorated living room.

The gift shop was located to the other side of registration, roughly at about 9 o’clock.

I walked down the corridor at this end of the complex and window shopped.

This end of the resort was the convention side. There was another ornate chandelier hanging here.

…and yet more artwork, very European in nature.

(Continued in Next Post)

Old 04-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #569
PrincessInOz
in

(Continued from Previous Post)

Room service? Like Goldilocks, I think this room is just right!

I think I left off with us getting into the lift. I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore!

But our rooms were on level 5, which is where we got out…

..turned the corner…

…looked down the right side…

…but it’s like I always say….if you get lost, always take the LEFT fork!

Anyone else spot the Hidden Mickey in the carpet?

It didn’t just have Mickey….check out the rest of the Fab 5.

Time to show you our room for the next 3 nights. The Disneyland Hotel offers a variety of room types – garden view, sea view, sea view with balcony and the fantasia rooms with Jacuzzis. They also offer Kingdom Club (the equivalent to the Club Lounges in the US) and there are KC rooms and suites as well. We had decided on the sea view rooms. For those with enquiring minds, we ended up paying $280 - $300 (our money) per night for the rooms and that was after the 20% discount we were given for taking up Magic Access Gold level. Because of the seniors in my travel party, it actually worked out to be about $50 cheaper buying the two MAP Gold level and getting the 20% discount on both rooms. The cards also provided us with 15% discount on food and merchandise purchases.

Our room looked like this on entry…

The beds looked and were really comfortable.

It was really late by our Melbourne time, so I only took a passing glance at this table in the entryway.

I did notice something else on the other table in the room…

My mother had a birthday in the later part of March and I had negotiated birthday privileges as part of the MAP we bought. As I had to leave the room to deliver it to her, I stayed out a little longer and you all got to see the lobby night shots as a consequence.

The other furniture in the room and DS was pleased to see the TV.

I pulled back the curtains to take a look at the sea view….

…which I couldn’t see at night! But DS was certainly happy with what he could see.

The bathroom was well appointed.

More importantly, it was clean!

After my little walk, I came back to grab a shower and hit the bed. Sleep was in order and tomorrow….tomorrow I would still be in Disney.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #570
shushh
DIS Veteran

PIO welcome home! I'm all in for the details. The more the better! I'm sorry to hear that you were unwell.

The Disneyland hotel is just beautiful. How I wished I stayed there when we went... Sigh. Will just have to enjoy it through your photos. I always love all the details that are in the Disney Hotels. Looking forward to hearing more
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise
shushh is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: