Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

New Disney Dining Email System Being Tested at DL...What are Your Thoughts?

Quote:
As you may know, Disneyland Resort guests may book dining reservations through the Disney Dine Line (714-781-DINE) but, beginning today, we’re offering a new way to request a dining reservation at the resort.
Here’s how it works:

Guests may now email their dining reservation requests to dine@disneyland.com

Requests will be reviewed the same day, when received during the hours of 7 a.m. – 9 p.m., 7 days a week

Requests received after hours will be reviewed the next day

Guests may request Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and Studio Disney 365 reservations through this email address as well

Email requests should include the following information:
Name of the restaurant or experience you’d like to book
Requested reservation date and meal period (Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner)
Total number of guests in your party
Your name and phone number

Remember: Your request is not confirmed until you’ve received a confirmation number
For a list of Disneyland Resort restaurants that accept reservations, click here.

We know that Disneyland Resort guests are very excited about the upcoming opening of Carthay Circle Restaurant at Disney California Adventure park on June 15. Dining reservations are not available at this time, but keep an eye on the Disney Parks Blog and @Disneyland on Twitter for updates on when the booking window for this brand-new restaurant will open. --- Disney Parks Blog
What do you think of the new system pilot? Yay or nay? Could and should it be used in other Disney theme parks?

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

eh
Old 04-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Zzizzy
Disney Storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
What do you think of the new system pilot? Yay or nay? Could and should it be used in other Disney theme parks?
This is just the next step in automating more of those service items that currently require human intervention where it really isn't needed.

Many Support and Call Centers have been converting over the last several years to "Contact Centers". They allow service requests to come in from various media methods, including phone, web, email and even text. The goal is to reduce the number of live agents that have to answer phone calls (bodies are expensive). Many times, software can "automatically" respond to the request with no human intervention at all. Sounds like Disney probably has these "auto-bots" in place for dining via email now.

Unfortunately this makes perfect sense to me and I am surprised it hasn't happened sooner.

Podcast Cruise 3.0 - June 2012
DISapalooza 2011 - Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - December 2011
Mickey's Halloween Party - September 2011
D23 Expo 2011
Mickey's Halloween Party - October 2010
Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic - July 2010
Haunted Mansion 40th Anniversary - September 2009
D23 Expo 2009
Zzizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
auroralark
Lives for vacation

Why not just set up an online system like the one for WDW? I've never had a problem using it. I'd rather just call and find out instantly if what I want is available rather than waiting for someone to get back to me via email.

Many trips as a kid! Offsite, CBR, Offsite, POR, All Star Sports, Offsite 3x May/June '07 Disneymoon @ BWI *
Sep '07 @ POR * May '09 @ CR * July '09 @ POP!Disneyland! Dec '09 - Jan '10 * Universal! July '10 * Sep '10 @ CSR
Jan '11 @ Poly * Solo! Oct '11 @POR * Feb '12 @ AKL * Little girl's first trip Sep '14 * Goin' again Sep '15
auroralark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
PryncessChrysty
This sounds like a fun game
Loves doing puzzles

Sounds like an idea from Cousin Orville.

This may have seemed "nifty" 10-15 years ago, but if they're going to make progress, they should incorporate some type of automated online system - it's not like they don't have the technology.

We make ressies at DL fairly frequently and I won't be using the email system. I don't want to encourage their steps backward.

DL Local / / WDW Vet / / Instagram: PracticallyPeachy & DisneyFoodies
PryncessChrysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Zzizzy
Disney Storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroralark View Post
...I'd rather just call and find out instantly if what I want is available rather than waiting for someone to get back to me via email.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PryncessChrysty View Post
...if they're going to make progress, they should incorporate some type of automated online system...
The goal here is to reduce the number of requests that live contact center agents have to process every day. This is a huge expense for call centers and many managers have been looking at alternatives to having many agents on the phone processing the same types of requests over and over.

This new system will probably respond almost immediately if it can automatically process your request without having a live agent involved. You should get your response and confirmation right away (so no long delay or wait time).

This will likely be just one of several ways to submit requests. First we had phone calls only. Then we could email requests and someone would get back to us. Then the web site allowed us to book packages online. And now we can use mobile applications like Mobile Magic and now this program which uses email alone to make reservations. All of this is heading toward eliminating the need for human intervention and allow you to have more control over your plans. Of course, the human agent will always be available (-fingers crossed-), but for simple regular requests you will now have several ways to access the automated systems.

Mark my word, we will be seeing much more of this, especially when the whole "reserve your entire vacation ahead of time" comes around. Corporate Contact Centers have been going this direction for years and now it has finally come to the entertainment industry. It's a big bright beautiful tomorrow!

-Wayne

Podcast Cruise 3.0 - June 2012
DISapalooza 2011 - Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - December 2011
Mickey's Halloween Party - September 2011
D23 Expo 2011
Mickey's Halloween Party - October 2010
Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic - July 2010
Haunted Mansion 40th Anniversary - September 2009
D23 Expo 2009
Zzizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:26 AM   #7
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroralark View Post
Why not just set up an online system like the one for WDW? I've never had a problem using it. I'd rather just call and find out instantly if what I want is available rather than waiting for someone to get back to me via email.
I was just thinking the same thing. I was using the online system for WDW today, it can be slow sometimes and sometimes I can't get to the page, but it's still seems faster than emailing a request. And I wouldn't want to just email my CC info either.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
I was just thinking the same thing. I was using the online system for WDW today, it can be slow sometimes and sometimes I can't get to the page, but it's still seems faster than emailing a request. And I wouldn't want to just email my CC info either.
NEVER E-MAIL YOUR CC INFORMATION. E-mail is not encrypted end-to-end.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Yeah, this seems silly and unsafe.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
MyMuse
From here...to there!

Location: North NJ (I don't know any Sopranos! or Real Housewives!)

Cool Why?

I don't know about this. It does indeed seem like a baclward step, like a PP said.

Why not set up the website? Or do a mobile app?

I can't see how emailing a request, then waiting to gt back to you vs. calling and immediate response.

What happens if you don't get the times you want? Will they book you for other times?
Old 04-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
quikah
Mouseketeer

email? Well, I guess it fits with their archaic ticketing system.

DLR really needs to move into the 21st century.
quikah is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: