Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
mbrittb00
Mouseketeer

What will the new Test Track be like? (take two)

Not sure what happened to the other post. Let's try again.

Now that the Test Track closing dates are official, I thought it would be a good time to turn to a discussion of what the re-imagined attraction is going to be like. I'd like to point you to the blog post as the only real source of hints (that I could find) as to what the new attraction will be like.

Disney Blog Post

Unfortunatlly that blog post is over 4 months old. If anyone has any other links with hints/rumors, etc, please post them here.

To get things started here are a couple of questions that come to my mind.

1) Will they still use the high speed loop.

2) What will the inside be like. The blog post indicates that patrons will be able to design their own vehicles then test them (on the track). Is the inside going to be like a motion master with you in the TT vehicles. Or will be be a set track (like it is now) except with certain aspects of YOUR design being "simulated" as you go around the track
Sept 2005 : (AS Movies) DS6 DS2 (MNSSHP)
Dec 2006 : (POFQ) 10th Anniversery (MVMCP)
Feb 2007 : (offsite) DS8 DS4 (DPPP)
Feb 2009 : (Bonnet Creek) DS10 DS6 DD2 (+ friends)
Nov 2010 : (Windsor Hills) DS11 DS8 DD4 DD3
April 2012 : (Windsor Hills / AS Movies) DS13 DS9 DD5 DD4 (+family)
October 2014 : (Caribbean Beach) DS16 DS12 DD8 DD6
mbrittb00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran

This is all speculation:

I think the physical ride will be exactly the same but the props and decorations will get an update.

The queue will have kiosks or computer terminals were you can design a car using multiple choice options. The computer will calculate your design based on the "ride experience" and determine how well your design did. I don't think the design portion will have any effect on the actual ride.

At the end of the ride, you walk through a Chevy showroom which will also have screens to show you the test results.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

Well, the good news is that GM/Chevy is actually paying for this make over and actually sees this as a worthwhile investment...

The ride "system" is to stay in place. The outside loop and general ride path are going to remain exactly as they are. You may go slower or faster through some sections or see entirely different scenery, but the "path" will be entirely the same.

The vehicles will be "updated" - to what extent? Dunno. Could be new vehicle designs (the new Radiator Springs Racers vehicles are "technically" the same ride vehicles), could just be the same chassis with mechanical rebuilds but new paint jobs. That's a big unknown at this point.

What has been pretty much said is that the pre-show and post-show areas are getting ripped out and redone entirely. So, kiss the current queue, holding rooms, and show room after the ride goodbye. None of that should be the same when it returns. The whole "SimCar" experience should play heavily into the new version of these.

As for the ride itself - it has been said that Test Track is essentially a warehouse that can be stripped in a matter of days. That's really true. The World of Motion building was always a warehouse, and the major construction to Test Track was installing the ride system - not the sets. The set installation took a few months - it was the building modifications and then all the problems with the ride system that took years.

The rumors I've heard say think "TRON" in some areas for aesthetic - not "TRON" for theme, but rather that rear-lit panel glowing and glossy black jet-black look, otherworldly stylization. Again, not "it's a TRON ride" but rather "oo, look at how that futuristic car testing facility has glowing panel edges" - got it?

And someone said there might be real music in the form of an orchestral score too now. No more horrible horrible ear splitting "music" made from the sounds of slamming car doors and impact wrenches.
mousermerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
mbrittb00
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousermerf View Post
Well, the good news is that GM/Chevy is actually paying for this make over and actually sees this as a worthwhile investment...

The ride "system" is to stay in place. The outside loop and general ride path are going to remain exactly as they are. You may go slower or faster through some sections or see entirely different scenery, but the "path" will be entirely the same.

The vehicles will be "updated" - to what extent? Dunno. Could be new vehicle designs (the new Radiator Springs Racers vehicles are "technically" the same ride vehicles), could just be the same chassis with mechanical rebuilds but new paint jobs. That's a big unknown at this point.

What has been pretty much said is that the pre-show and post-show areas are getting ripped out and redone entirely. So, kiss the current queue, holding rooms, and show room after the ride goodbye. None of that should be the same when it returns. The whole "SimCar" experience should play heavily into the new version of these.

As for the ride itself - it has been said that Test Track is essentially a warehouse that can be stripped in a matter of days. That's really true. The World of Motion building was always a warehouse, and the major construction to Test Track was installing the ride system - not the sets. The set installation took a few months - it was the building modifications and then all the problems with the ride system that took years.

The rumors I've heard say think "TRON" in some areas for aesthetic - not "TRON" for theme, but rather that rear-lit panel glowing and glossy black jet-black look, otherworldly stylization. Again, not "it's a TRON ride" but rather "oo, look at how that futuristic car testing facility has glowing panel edges" - got it?

And someone said there might be real music in the form of an orchestral score too now. No more horrible horrible ear splitting "music" made from the sounds of slamming car doors and impact wrenches.
Cool. Thanks. Do you have a reference where this came from? Website, (leaked) design meeting, imagineer friend, etc.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
JetsetJAK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I saw on the Disney blog back in August about a new vehicle being rolled out at Test Track. Anybody who's been there in the last few months know if they're still using this vehicle or if there are more? It's definitely more prominently Chevrolet so I'd think it's a good bet that this is what the vehicles will look like after the refurb:

"New Car Spotted on Test Track"

I've been really curious as to how the whole place is going to look after this is all said and done. I like the current ride but I personally have never been a huge fan of the look of it. This image showed up on epcyclopedia back in December:

Fall '89 - Caribbean Beach Resort
Spring '94 - offsite (Orlando Twin Towers)
Fall '00 - offsite (Delta Orlando Resort)
Fall '10 - All-Star Movies
FALL '12 - ALL-STAR MUSIC
JetsetJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

Wasn't sure if this was better suited to the new thread or the old thread, but here goes:

New internal advisory issued with strange new entertainment offering to compensate and extended hours for Soarin.. and a description of the replacement.. and of course, confirmation of closure:

http://www.epcyclopedia.com/2012/04/...epcot-changes/

Last edited by mousermerf; 04-12-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
mbrittb00
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Wasn't sure if this was better suited to the new thread or the old thread, but here goes:

New internal advisory issued with strange new entertainment offering to compensate and extended hours for Soarin.. and a description of the replacement.. and of course, confirmation of closure:

http://www.epcyclopedia.com/2012/04/...epcot-changes/
Kinda half and half.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
OldsDr
DIS Veteran

From the sponsors perspective

Does anyone know why they are narrowing the sponsorship to just Chevy. What is GMs mindset to only advertise one of the few remaining divisions at a location that gets vistors from very diverse backrounds? To me this would be a place to advertise a little of everything like they have been doing.

The only thing I can come up with (highly speculatory) is each dision is now responsible for thier own advertising. All advertising comes from the individual budgets instead of a central GM budget and chevy is the only one who wanted to spend in that manner.
OldsDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
ljandbucket
Earning My Ears

My speculation is that it has to do with brand awareness/appeal. While all GM divisions are global I believe Chevy has the largest footprint. And also, many of the cars you can get here in the US you can find in Europe, Russia, etc. so whether a US traveller or international tourist you'll recognize Chevy more so than GM. Heck there are plenty of people in the US that own Chevys, Buicks, Cadillacs, Pontiacs, Hummers, Saabs that don't realize they are GM products. From that perspective I understand the move.
Pop Century Sept 2004
Pop Century Sept 2006
All Star Music November 2007
Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2009
DVC Member July 2010
Bay Lake Tower August 2011
Grand Californian December 2012
ljandbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldsDr View Post
Does anyone know why they are narrowing the sponsorship to just Chevy. What is GMs mindset to only advertise one of the few remaining divisions at a location that gets vistors from very diverse backrounds? To me this would be a place to advertise a little of everything like they have been doing.

The only thing I can come up with (highly speculatory) is each dision is now responsible for thier own advertising. All advertising comes from the individual budgets instead of a central GM budget and chevy is the only one who wanted to spend in that manner.
It makes sense to me to market an automobile brand instead of a corporation.

It allows Chevrolet to present their whole line of cars to millions of people each year who would never walk into Chevrolet showroom.

With GM no longer building cars under the Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer, and Saab brands, the success of the Chevrolet brand is vitally important.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

I think going with Chevy also allows them to have more of a singular brand identity again. Test Track had to be very vague to fit all of the brands. It doesn't evoke a real idea of a consumer or product - just vehicles in general.

I think with the redesign and that whole "sleek new look" they're marketing it toward a different audience.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #12
CandyMandy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think with the redesign and that whole "sleek new look" they're marketing it toward a different audience.
Different in what way? The primary appeal of Test Track never has and never will be based on the brand "sponsoring" it or how trendy it appears. Rather, its primary purpose is acting as the thrill ride in a park generally bereft of them. Or put another way, people go into that pavillion so they can get whipped around, not to engage with a brand or suck up design or musical atmosphere.

Frankly, all most of us veterans really want from the refurb is a more reliable ride operation. In terms of frequency of breakdowns, TT is the most notorious attraction in all WDW.
CandyMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #13
carverebain
Earning My Ears

I wish they could theme the pre-show as the Top Gear U.K. tv set. Then they could show videos of Clarkson and the two other blokes as they go through their own car test, like test dummies. Plus, I think the ride should definitely have the speed at the end be closer to 120mph. If I wanted to go 65mph, and get the same experience then I could do that with a regular car. I've driven a car on high banked turns at 65, and 120 could feel a lot more fun. Just my two cents.

carverebain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #14
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by carverebain View Post
I wish they could theme the pre-show as the Top Gear U.K. tv set. Then they could show videos of Clarkson and the two other blokes as they go through their own car test, like test dummies. Plus, I think the ride should definitely have the speed at the end be closer to 120mph. If I wanted to go 65mph, and get the same experience then I could do that with a regular car. I've driven a car on high banked turns at 65, and 120 could feel a lot more fun. Just my two cents.
If they changed the speed, they'd have to change SEVERAL things, including the banking of the turn and probably lengthen the drive up toward it.

Otherwise the acceleration in that short place would have to increase substantially and that will probably make a lot less people want to ride it.

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
carverebain
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
If they changed the speed, they'd have to change SEVERAL things, including the banking of the turn and probably lengthen the drive up toward it.

Otherwise the acceleration in that short place would have to increase substantially and that will probably make a lot less people want to ride it.
On Google maps, there is currently a parking lot beside it for EPCOT costuming. They could move or re-arrange that, and then make the ride changes as necessary. Or they could also knock out that one section of Overpass Road so it could look like the pic below.

Last edited by carverebain; 04-13-2012 at 11:24 PM.
carverebain is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: