Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #31
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

another option that you might want to explore is to get a Debit card that is already pre-loaded in EUROs. This is what we did when we did the Viva trip this past fall.

I'm sure there are other sites, but this is the one we used:

http://www.travelex.com

The exchange rate is constantly changing, but I just kept an eye on it and when it looked good, I just purchased the card. It was delivered right to my home within two days.

Something to be aware of too... the credit cards in Europe do not utilize the magnetic strip that we're accumstomed to here in the states. Their cards have a chip inside them which is read by the credit card terminals. In most major cities, you will be able to use an American issued card, but there is always the possibility that a store might not accept it.

We also purchased some cash EUROs before leaving. We didn't want to be scurrying around our first day looking for an ATM machine. Luckily we have an eFX currency exchange booth right in our Galleria Mall and I found their exchange rate quite favorable also.

You're going to love the trip... we loved it so much that we're going back in May to do it again.

Ciao

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #32
Phil1019
Mouseketeer

Question: Is the debit card preloaded with euro's sccepted like a credit card at most places or do you still have to find a ATM machine to retrieve euro's?
Phil1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #33
corky441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil1019 View Post
Question: Is the debit card preloaded with euro's sccepted like a credit card at most places or do you still have to find a ATM machine to retrieve euro's?

You use it just like a credit card. Any store that accepts Mastercard/Visa will honor the card.
You're also given a 4 digit pin number for your card when you call to activate it. You have to accept the # they give you, you can't change it. This is the pin # you'll need for the ATMs.

We found it to be very convenient.

You can also add more EUROs to the card whenever you want. I know it can be done directly by computer. I would think you could do it by phone also, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Also, when you get home, you can get any remaining EUROs exhanged back to Dollars and refunded back to you.

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett

Last edited by corky441; 04-10-2012 at 05:53 AM. Reason: more info
Old 04-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #34
jlou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky441 View Post
another option that you might want to explore is to get a Debit card that is already pre-loaded in EUROs. This is what we did when we did the Viva trip this past fall.

I'm sure there are other sites, but this is the one we used:

http://www.travelex.com

The exchange rate is constantly changing, but I just kept an eye on it and when it looked good, I just purchased the card. It was delivered right to my home within two days.

Something to be aware of too... the credit cards in Europe do not utilize the magnetic strip that we're accumstomed to here in the states. Their cards have a chip inside them which is read by the credit card terminals. In most major cities, you will be able to use an American issued card, but there is always the possibility that a store might not accept it.

We also purchased some cash EUROs before leaving. We didn't want to be scurrying around our first day looking for an ATM machine. Luckily we have an eFX currency exchange booth right in our Galleria Mall and I found their exchange rate quite favorable also.

You're going to love the trip... we loved it so much that we're going back in May to do it again.

Ciao
Hi Corky,

I just realized that you are near me, we live in NW PA, and visit your mall often for shopping! Planning a visit soon, as a matter of fact. I'll check out the Fx exchange booth when I'm there. I checked out the travelex site, and found the rates to be pretty high, compared with what is the current fx rate. I'll have to figure out what is a competitive charge. The rate through them is about $1.45 per Euro, compared with the published fx rate of about $1.31 per Euro, that's over 10% charge. It may make sense to get some Euros ahead of time just to have some cash, but use our credit card (which does not charge a foreign transaction fee, and gave us a very competitive fx conversion) when we're there. Still doesn't solve the issue with my son, but his trip is entirely inclusive, so he won't need a lot of cash anyway.

thanks!

Me , Hubby , DS (16 at time of our trip) , and DD (13 at time of our trip)
jlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #35
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlou View Post
I'll check out the Fx exchange booth when I'm there. I checked out the travelex site, and found the rates to be pretty high, compared with what is the current fx rate. I'll have to figure out what is a competitive charge. The rate through them is about $1.45 per Euro, compared with the published fx rate of about $1.31 per Euro, that's over 10% charge. It may make sense to get some Euros ahead of time just to have some cash, but use our credit card (which does not charge a foreign transaction fee, and gave us a very competitive fx conversion) when we're there. Still doesn't solve the issue with my son, but his trip is entirely inclusive, so he won't need a lot of cash anyway.

thanks!
When I went to Europe last year, my bank converted dollars to British pounds and Euros for me, and didn't charge me any conversion fee. Their conversion rate was pretty close to the published conversion rate, too. I was happily surprised by this.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #36
corky441

One thing to remember too is that the FX exchange rate you see published is like the "Wholesale" price. It's basically the prime rate given to those that are converting large sums of $$$
I started by checking with my local bank to see what their exchange rate was and then went forward from there.

Just a quick FYI-if you get to the Niagara Factory outlet mall, the eFX desk there had an even better rate. Proximity to Canada perhaps
Old 04-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #37
Phil1019
Mouseketeer

Quick question: If I use an ATM at the airport to get Euro's and I don't use them all, can I again exhange them at the airport for US dollars on my way home?
Phil1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #38
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil1019 View Post
Quick question: If I use an ATM at the airport to get Euro's and I don't use them all, can I again exhange them at the airport for US dollars on my way home?
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to re-deposit them. Most ATM's accept cash deposits these days. But that's just a guess. Hopefully someone who actually knows the answer will reply!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: