Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #1591
chimo2u
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
Carl Do you bring a white noise machine with you on vacation? We NEVER leave home without ours. It is the bomb. Drowns out those people walking the halls, slamming doors, doing "odd things" next door, and general neighbor noise.
What brand did you buy? Do you have a link to it? I'd like to buy a small white noise machine, not too big so it can be packed in our luggage.

Disney Trips:January 15-23, 2008 - AKL CL Celebrating DH leave from Afghanistan | Sept 1-12, 2009 - Storming the World with Friends, AKL CL Free Dining | August 20-29, 2010 Mom n' Son only trip, First time at Beach Club GV CL/ Universal Studios PBH CL ** POSTPONED ** Mom n' Son Trip is back on FEB 5-10, 2011 BC GV/Club Level with Basic DDP/Universal Studios HRH CL Feb 10/11/12 (DS's surprise** ) Sept 29 -Oct 7 2012 Best Friend Getaway POLY CL/ HRH CL
Old 04-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #1592
auprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimo2u View Post
What brand did you buy? Do you have a link to it? I'd like to buy a small white noise machine, not too big so it can be packed in our luggage.
I'd love to know, too! We have to have a fan going in our room at home; right now we have an extra window a/c b/c my DH likes to keep it 60 degrees in there year round. I was planning to get a fan sometime this week to take with us on our trip, but a noise machine might be better!
April 2012 Polynesion
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #1593
TinkPirateMom
DIS Veteran

We use a white noise machine in my son's room. It's pretty small and can be plugged in or run on batteries. We are going to bring it with us. There is a night light feature to it as well.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=4309325

We paid less for it in our Target store.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #1594
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishinuponastar View Post
Good question... I HAVE to sleep with a box fan for "white noise". I have stayed at the Poly 3 times in the past and never did think to ask if maybe they had a box fan for guests to use... Does anyone know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimo2u View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by auprincess View Post
I'd love to know, too! We have to have a fan going in our room at home; right now we have an extra window a/c b/c my DH likes to keep it 60 degrees in there year round. I was planning to get a fan sometime this week to take with us on our trip, but a noise machine might be better!

Don't know about the boxfan but we have 2 sleep machines. One stays at home and one for vacation. Can't chance it if God forbid we left it in a hotel room and didn't have it when we got home We have the Sleepmate model 980 A. We bought them off of Amazon I think. Lots of places sell them so just look for the cheapest price. It is small and has 2 speeds. High and Low. It has 2 collars that you turn to get your preferred fan noise. It is literally just a fan inside a plastic housing that channels the noise. Love it!

So funny.... we carry that, DH's CPAP machine, and DD's nebulizer in one of our carry-ons. Notoriously, at some point during our airport searches, we are asked to plug in at least one of these items to make sure it isn't a bomb. It makes me laugh because.....if it WERE a bomb and they plugged it in, we would all be goners. Makes no sense really.

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014

Old 04-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #1595
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Don't know about the boxfan but we have 2 sleep machines. One stays at home and one for vacation. Can't chance it if God forbid we left it in a hotel room and didn't have it when we got home We have the Sleepmate model 980 A. We bought them off of Amazon I think. Lots of places sell them so just look for the cheapest price. It is small and has 2 speeds. High and Low. It has 2 collars that you turn to get your preferred fan noise. It is literally just a fan inside a plastic housing that channels the noise. Love it!

So funny.... we carry that, DH's CPAP machine, and DD's nebulizer in one of our carry-ons. Notoriously, at some point during our airport searches, we are asked to plug in at least one of these items to make sure it isn't a bomb. It makes me laugh because.....if it WERE a bomb and they plugged it in, we would all be goners. Makes no sense really.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:03 AM   #1596
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Carl Do you bring a white noise machine with you on vacation? We NEVER leave home without ours. It is the bomb. Drowns out those people walking the halls, slamming doors, doing "odd things" next door, and general neighbor noise.
Haven't really tried one. I run my fan and a/c year round being in center city Philadelphia people never sleep. No matter how soundproof my place is i always hear the drunk UPenn student's unless I have all the fans running.
Quote:
Good question... I HAVE to sleep with a box fan for "white noise". I have stayed at the Poly 3 times in the past and never did think to ask if maybe they had a box fan for guests to use... Does anyone know?
Hmmm.. I am the one that requires my room to be 60 degrees (15.56c) and fans but I think I might be happy with a sound machine!

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV
Old 04-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #1597
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Yes, they do have box fans! My DH & DD20 are also fan addicts. You just have to call mousekeeping and have one delivered to your room. I'm sure they have a limited number, like the mircowaves & are first come, but of our three trips so far we have been able to get one every time.

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
Old 04-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #1598
KAA1972
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
Yes, they do have box fans! My DH & DD20 are also fan addicts. You just have to call mousekeeping and have one delivered to your room. I'm sure they have a limited number, like the mircowaves & are first come, but of our three trips so far we have been able to get one every time.
If you have an iPhone, you can download Sleep Machine Lite for free. It has tons of background noise sounds and works like a charm. Then you have your sound machine where ever you go!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #1599
kimberwee
Mouseketeer

I am going to have to check out that iphone app for DH...he is the same way. I freeze every night because he likes the sound of our ceiling fan on high when he sleeps.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #1600
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAA1972 View Post
If you have an iPhone, you can download Sleep Machine Lite for free. It has tons of background noise sounds and works like a charm. Then you have your sound machine where ever you go!
I'm not sure if DH would go for this ... he's a fan purist, never tried a white noise machine I'd have to preview it first before I'd let him use it anyways. I've gotten used to a fan (unless I'm having trouble falling asleep on a particular night), but I'm afraid something like this would annoy the crap out of me & I'd be laying there awake half of the night.

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
Old 04-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #1601
auprincess
DIS Veteran

I went to Target today and they didn't have a noise machine, so I just got a fan. Had a heck of a time finding one, b/c most were "new and improved with 25% less noise"! Don't they know we WANT the noise? Found a cheap one, so maybe it will be nice and noisy
April 2012 Polynesion
Old 04-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #1602
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by auprincess View Post
I went to Target today and they didn't have a noise machine, so I just got a fan. Had a heck of a time finding one, b/c most were "new and improved with 25% less noise"! Don't they know we WANT the noise? Found a cheap one, so maybe it will be nice and noisy
Four days to go for you!! Nice!!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #1603
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAA1972 View Post

See--this would never work for me. There is something about artificial sound reproduction that does not make me relax. I do not like the sound machines that have different "sounds" to choose from. I am a fan girl but cannot deal with the "windy free flow of allergens" in my face created by a typical box fan or ceiling fan. Makes me sneeze and get an itchy stuffy nose. That's what I love about my Sleepmate. You get an amplified fan noise without the breeze

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014

Old 04-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #1604
KAA1972
Mouseketeer

Quote:
See--this would never work for me. There is something about artificial sound reproduction that does not make me relax. I do not like the sound machines that have different "sounds" to choose from. I am a fan girl but cannot deal with the "windy free flow of allergens" in my face created by a typical box fan or ceiling fan. Makes me sneeze and get an itchy stuffy nose. That's what I love about my Sleepmate. You get an amplified fan noise without the breeze
We have the Sleepmate for home and we use the app for the road. If you set the app correctly, it sounds the same as the Sleepmate. I mean... exactly the same. We accidentally left too many Sleepmates plugged in at hotel rooms which is why we went to the app.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #1605
wishinuponastar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
Thank you so much maiapapaya... As you can you see by my ticker, our next Poly is just around the corner and I will be sure to request one at check in...

Me DH DS DD
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: