Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
WishUponAStar
Mouseketeer

Options

We drive from Sulphur, LA (2 hours East of Houston) and have done it several ways. Leave at 7:00 and drive it all the way, half way, or stop one hour away. Each had advantages and disadvantages. You can leave early and drive until the kids can't take it anymore, use your phone to make a priceline ressie. McDonalds and truckstops have hotel discount books. We have left at 9:00pm, driven all night taking turns and arriving tired but early, check in and head to the parks for a few hours before napping. Kids sleep all night, don't need to be fed or need as many bathroom stops. We have left at 3:00 am, drive until breakfast and our first gas stop 4 1/2 to 5 hours (Mobile, AL for me). Stop at fast food places that have play grounds give the kids a chance to eat and run for a while. On our last two trips we have left at 3:00am driven all day and gotten a priceline room at a retirement place called The Villages. It is one hour away. Spend the night, wake up and in one hour you are checking in at your WDW resort. Stopping halfway, between Pensacola and Tallahasee, still leaves another full day of driving. Kids don't look forward to two days on the road. We have left at midnight. Driving at night offers several advantages- less traffic, cooler, few big trucks, no construction or delays, stopping at large well lit truck stops for gas is good too at night. Disadvantages are that it is night. Car trouble is always a fear. At any rate it is 12-13 hours from Sulphur (843 miles) if done nonstop. Figure in any gas stops, meal stops, restroom breaks and you can determine your arrival time. I made a spreadsheet with driving times and distances from my area if anyone is interested email me at epcot1988@yahoo.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: