Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
solana131
DIS Veteran
 
solana131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,274

Best graduation present ever! July 2012 PTR

Hi everyone! Welcome to my 2nd PreTrip Report. This was a totally out of the blue suggestion that turned into my second trip this year. Before February I hadn't been to Disney since 1992. And now I am going twice in one year! So lets get this thing started.

My name is Suzi. I am 32 years old and am happily (most days) married with a beautiful little boy.



This was from our Feb trip at the Poly. We had a amazing time for DH & DS's first trip and my first onsite trip. Aren't they cute? Well they are not coming with me this trip Don't get me wrong, I love my husband and my little man, but this trip will be in July and there is NO WAY I want to have a 5 year old to drag around in that heat!

This trip is all for my little cousin Danielle.



She isn't so little anymore, but she is the youngest girl cousin I have and even though we aren't supposed to play favorites, she is mine. She was flower girl at my wedding, she is the best big cousin to my little guy and does things with him all the time.





We just all think the world of her and I am so happy to be able to give her this graduation gift. Dani is a straight A student, is very busy in school clubs, music, and above all else sports. She has been given a full-ride scholarship to Bates College here in Maine due to her field hockey abilities. So as a congrats, I am taking her to Disney! This will be her first trip (other than a 3 day trip for Nationals one year in which she never went to a park) and we couldn't be more excited.

We will be going July 18-23. I wanted to do mid week because the crowd calendars are actually showing the weekends as less busy, so if we can stay over the weekend instead of the typical Sat-Sat it might be an advantage.

I think we are staying at Port Orleans French Quarter. On my Feb trip we took a day and toured that lovely resort and it looks like a winner for this trip. I would love to stay at the Poly again, and with a new PIN offer I just got, we could....but thats the only one I have ever stayed at and I kinda want to see something else. Am I crazy? I just think I could save the extra money and do something special for her while we are there.

I am kinda nervous about this weather. I am not a sun worshiper by any stretch of the imagination, and add in the crowd levels But I think I will manage. With just Dani along instead of a little child, we can take frequent breaks, hit the parks early and then go back and take a mid day break. With my son there is no way we could take advantage of the evening EMH, and this time we will definitely do that. I am getting Park Hoppers again so that leaves us with even more options.

I have not officially booked as of yet, but will do so tomorrow. I am just waiting to talk to Dani about resort choices first. At first I wanted to keep this a surprise for her, but I need her input and lets be honest.....I can't keep a secret when I am this excited!

So I still have some things to work out, but I hope you will join me along the way. Lurkers are not allowed.....come and say "hello".....I won't bite, I promise
__________________
Me(Suzi) DH(Bill) DS8(Bradey)
1985,1989,1992 Offsite
Feb'12 Poly July'12 POFQ Aug'13 Poly June'14 GF



Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??

Last edited by solana131; 04-11-2012 at 01:09 PM.
solana131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
KatMark
DIS Veteran
 
KatMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 40,636

Suzi, I'm here. I'll be back later to read the intro (have a deadline to meet).
__________________
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!
 
DMGeurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: DON'T feed the children!
Posts: 8,026

I am totally here Suzi!!!

I am so excited - and congrats to Danielle - her hard work paid off!

I can't wait to hear all about what you have planned!

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
Lidian
DIS Veteran
 
Lidian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 3,299

I'm totally in! Major grats to Dani! Can't wait to hear what you ladies decide!!
__________________
Me DH DD12 DS8 DS1 Stormy
2009 - June 6 - 11 @ AS Movies ~*~*~ 2010 - April 24 - May 1 @ CBR Pirate ~*~*~ 2011 - May 22 - 27 @ CSR & 28-29 offsite ~*~*~ 2012 - March 3 - 9 @ CBR ~*~*~ 2014 - October 1-11 @ POP

May 2011 3rd Visit Surprise! (PTR) ~*~*~ May 2011: Year of the Surprises! (TR)
March 2012: Spring Break, Here we come! (PTR) ~*~*~ March 2012: The Year I Survived Spring Break! (TR)


Lidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
KatMark
DIS Veteran
 
KatMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 40,636

As promised, I'm back. What a great intro, and what a great cousin you are! That sounds like a great trip. We've been over 4th of July. And while hot, if you take afternoon breaks and drink lots of water (and a little hint...put a cold washcloth on your neck as you are walking the parks...it helps cool you down), you'll be fine.

We've visited POFQ, but never stayed (as you know we have another moderate we stay at), but I think it will be a great choice for the two of you.
__________________
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran
 
jennyjinx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 4,756

I'm back! What a pretty girl your cousin is, and I can't wait to read all about your planned adventures! I think our next trip after Sept (we all know there will be another ) might be at another resort too. We are 5 so it would probably be POR but excited to hear about your plans at POFQ!
__________________
me and DH DD10, DD8, DD6 Thanks Kook!
jennyjinx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
Chicago Mo
DIS Veteran
 
Chicago Mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago Illinois
Posts: 4,624

i'm in.. Holy Moley 2ce in one year!!!!
so jealous!
Chicago Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
solana131
DIS Veteran
 
solana131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,274

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Suzi, I'm here. I'll be back later to read the intro (have a deadline to meet).
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
As promised, I'm back. What a great intro, and what a great cousin you are! That sounds like a great trip. We've been over 4th of July. And while hot, if you take afternoon breaks and drink lots of water (and a little hint...put a cold washcloth on your neck as you are walking the parks...it helps cool you down), you'll be fine.

We've visited POFQ, but never stayed (as you know we have another moderate we stay at), but I think it will be a great choice for the two of you.
Yay! Kathy's here!
Thanks for the tip about the washcloth. I found these cooling cloths on Amazon that I purchased. Cool Off Citrus Ice Towlettes. Not sure whats in them (witch hazel, aloe, chamomile, lemon oil, etc) but it says "To enjoy maximum cooling: Remove towelette and shake lightly. Then press Cool Off™ on the back of your neck, inner arms, or back of knees for several seconds to fully penetrate and build the chill...then wipe your forehead and other desired areas. To reactivate the cool, splash a little water on the skin where you used the towelette. You'll find your inner cool again". Sounds good to me And I already have the water bottles with filters in them, so we can just fill up at the drinking fountains. I think we will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
I am totally here Suzi!!!

I am so excited - and congrats to Danielle - her hard work paid off!

I can't wait to hear all about what you have planned!

D~
Thanks D~ I tossed and turned last night thinking about which hotel to book. I remember doing this same thing for the Feb trip, and with the same two resorts! I think I will stick with POFQ since it saves me money and she won't care. That way I will know for next time which will be better. But now I am thinking it might be neat to stay in one of the new Royal Rooms at POR. Its not like I can stay in a princess room with Bradey ever....so it might be neat. I just like the feel of FQ better and the single bus stop. Am I right that the buses always stop at FQ first then make the rounds at POR? Thinking with the crowds and heat it might be better to stick with FQ for that reason alone. Then again....Poly would make all that go away....ARGH! I'll talk to Dani tonight about it and see what she says.

Anyhoo...sorry about that D~, just thinking out loud. Glad to have you along. Now I wish I had stuck with the June date for my bags NO problem, I have others I can use. There will always be another trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidian View Post
I'm totally in! Major grats to Dani! Can't wait to hear what you ladies decide!!
Hi Liddy! I will be paying close attention to your TR to see how the heavy spring break crowds were. I'm more nervous about crowds than I am about the heat and thats a big concern for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
I'm back! What a pretty girl your cousin is, and I can't wait to read all about your planned adventures! I think our next trip after Sept (we all know there will be another ) might be at another resort too. We are 5 so it would probably be POR but excited to hear about your plans at POFQ!
Hey there! Have you seen the new POR trundle bed rooms? They look really neat. They did away with the "trundle" bed and now have a fold down table bed instead like at the Art of Animation resort. That would be cool. And the new coloring in the Alligator Bayou rooms looks nice too. I have a feeling that nothing will beat the Poly, but they have so many neat resorts to try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Mo View Post
i'm in.. Holy Moley 2ce in one year!!!!
so jealous!
I know it, right?! My credit card companies are gonna love me Welcome aboard!
__________________
Me(Suzi) DH(Bill) DS8(Bradey)
1985,1989,1992 Offsite
Feb'12 Poly July'12 POFQ Aug'13 Poly June'14 GF



Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??
solana131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
solana131
DIS Veteran
 
solana131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,274

Quick question:

Do they still have the opening ceremony at MK on the EMH mornings? And if so, is it performed at regular opening, or EMH opening?
__________________
Me(Suzi) DH(Bill) DS8(Bradey)
1985,1989,1992 Offsite
Feb'12 Poly July'12 POFQ Aug'13 Poly June'14 GF



Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??
solana131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #10
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!
 
DMGeurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: DON'T feed the children!
Posts: 8,026

Interesting question... I'd like to know the answer for that too.

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
solana131
DIS Veteran
 
solana131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,274

So, the Disney Gods are really happy with me apparently. I opened my email tonight and I had ANOTHER PIN offer in there. The one I had before was a great deal on a package and this one was a room-only offer. I took it. We are now booked at.......

Oops, no pictures on this computer, you will have to wait until tomorrow
__________________
Me(Suzi) DH(Bill) DS8(Bradey)
1985,1989,1992 Offsite
Feb'12 Poly July'12 POFQ Aug'13 Poly June'14 GF



Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??
solana131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran
 
jennyjinx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 4,756

Quote:
Originally Posted by solana131 View Post
So, the Disney Gods are really happy with me apparently. I opened my email tonight and I had ANOTHER PIN offer in there. The one I had before was a great deal on a package and this one was a room-only offer. I took it. We are now booked at.......

Oops, no pictures on this computer, you will have to wait until tomorrow
AAAAHHH!! I must know!!
__________________
me and DH DD10, DD8, DD6 Thanks Kook!
jennyjinx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #13
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!
 
DMGeurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: DON'T feed the children!
Posts: 8,026

SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!! You CAN'T do that to us Suzi!!!! Sooooo not fair. I can't even stalk the Dis today because I have to work...

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #14
Lidian
DIS Veteran
 
Lidian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 3,299

Quote:
Originally Posted by solana131 View Post
Hi Liddy! I will be paying close attention to your TR to see how the heavy spring break crowds were. I'm more nervous about crowds than I am about the heat and thats a big concern for me.
I have several "crowd" pictures from our experience that will be coming up in my TR. However, next year Easter falls earlier -- so I expect crowds to be HORRIBLE. Just letting you know so you don't arrive and like at the hordes of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solana131 View Post
Quick question:

Do they still have the opening ceremony at MK on the EMH mornings? And if so, is it performed at regular opening, or EMH opening?
I honestly don't know. We've only done one MK EMH, and I think that was May '11, and I want to say they had the morning show. I'll have to go back and check -- but things change so much, without notice. So even if I can confirm it happened in May '11, it doesn't mean it still happens. Perhaps someone will pop in and confirm one way or another. (I'm pretty sure the single AM EMH we did at MK had the show -- that was the only time I ever made it for "RD". )
__________________
Me DH DD12 DS8 DS1 Stormy
2009 - June 6 - 11 @ AS Movies ~*~*~ 2010 - April 24 - May 1 @ CBR Pirate ~*~*~ 2011 - May 22 - 27 @ CSR & 28-29 offsite ~*~*~ 2012 - March 3 - 9 @ CBR ~*~*~ 2014 - October 1-11 @ POP

May 2011 3rd Visit Surprise! (PTR) ~*~*~ May 2011: Year of the Surprises! (TR)
March 2012: Spring Break, Here we come! (PTR) ~*~*~ March 2012: The Year I Survived Spring Break! (TR)


Lidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
solana131
DIS Veteran
 
solana131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,274

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
AAAAHHH!! I must know!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!! You CAN'T do that to us Suzi!!!! Sooooo not fair. I can't even stalk the Dis today because I have to work...
Hey, I learned this whole suspense thing from you and Liddy, so deal with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidian View Post
I have several "crowd" pictures from our experience that will be coming up in my TR. However, next year Easter falls earlier -- so I expect crowds to be HORRIBLE. Just letting you know so you don't arrive and like at the hordes of people.
Yeah, like that one before your Tusker House meal.....holy cow! That scares me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidian View Post
I honestly don't know. We've only done one MK EMH, and I think that was May '11, and I want to say they had the morning show. I'll have to go back and check -- but things change so much, without notice. So even if I can confirm it happened in May '11, it doesn't mean it still happens. Perhaps someone will pop in and confirm one way or another. (I'm pretty sure the single AM EMH we did at MK had the show -- that was the only time I ever made it for "RD". )
Its not that big of a deal. I will just ask a CM when we get to the Poly.
__________________
Me(Suzi) DH(Bill) DS8(Bradey)
1985,1989,1992 Offsite
Feb'12 Poly July'12 POFQ Aug'13 Poly June'14 GF



Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??
solana131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.