Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would you buy a house with a history?
Yes, not a problem for me! 24 15.89%
Nope, no way! 51 33.77%
Maybe, depends on the history. 76 50.33%
The obligatory other! 0 0%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #46
jujube
DIS Veteran

Different states have different rules about what has to be disclosed. Almost all of them have to disclose known defects even in an "as is" sale. A realtor can choose to disclose other information.
jujube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #47
ladypage
And that's how the story about me sleeping with the entire Polish national basketball team started

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereyago View Post
HECK NO!

The Amityville Horror: I actually saw a documentary on Ronald Defeo, his story has changed over the years, i think his lawyer conjured up that whole the house was evil-RD did a lot of drugs-so those voices could have been hallucinations from the drugs.

He now says that he did some of the killing but his sister, Dawn killed as well, then he had to kill her in self defense.
Oh yeah, I don't believe in the story it self, but it did make me question whether I would buy something like that. I also believe in spirits and "energy" or whatever you wanna call it. But I would never be able to shake the heebee jeebies!

Former Epcot CM

PROUD MEMBER OF
GIRAFFE WATCH 2012

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009176
ladypage is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #48
LuvsDragonflies
DIS Veteran

Hella. No.

"Get OUUUUUTTT!"

ok. gone.

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. ~ Abraham Lincoln
"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith"-- Robert G. Ingersoll
LuvsDragonflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #49
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypage View Post
. I also believe in spirits and "energy" or whatever you wanna call it. But I would never be able to shake the heebee jeebies!
I am the same way, I don't want to feel any "bad energy" or remnants of bad energy, i like to sleep peacefully at night.
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #50
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsDragonflies View Post
Hella. No.

"Get OUUUUUTTT!"

ok. gone.
This reminds me of Eddie Murphy back in the day: (warning, it is Eddie Murphy so bad language)

http://youtu.be/96s1M8IyrU
Old 04-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #51
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This reminds me of Eddie Murphy back in the day: (warning, it is Eddie Murphy so bad language)

Heh, I know exactly what's at that link without clicking, as I thought the exact same thing when I read it.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #52
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
Heh, I know exactly what's at that link without clicking, as I thought the exact same thing when I read it.
lol. Surprisingly enough I could actually remember that skit, it was the 80's,lol.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #53
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
lol. Surprisingly enough I could actually remember that skit, it was the 80's,lol.
I remember laughing and laughing at it over and over when I was a kid, as I was very into slasher pics and, as a fairly little kid, watched Amityville and was like 'why don't they just LEAVE?! If the house told me to get out and started bleeding about the walls, I'd be hightailing it to grandma's!
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #54
Lehuaann
Lehu hu Boo Boo

Idk, because most of time DH and I purchase homes that are usually fixer upper/bank owned types - so there's no way of knowing the history, or what lurks.

Crazy story - Our last home was built in 1884 and we had the delightful experience of the psycho previous owner (who we did not know) come by to warn us that the house was haunted by the ghosts of John and Mary. To say the least, it frightened our young kids.

Anyways, we always pray/bless our homes the first night upon moving in them. Always.

DL & WDW * FW Cabin 3x * AKL CL 2x * Poly CL * CR CL * AKL Savannah * POFQ * POR

Lehuaann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #55
ILoveToRun
Mouseketeer

It depends for me. I'm not a believer in ghosts and spirits, my only hesitations would arise from whether it was properly cleaned after or if everyone in the neighborhood would look at me funny/no one would ever come into my house.

My home growing up was built in 1891 so I'm sure something has happened in it or around it. Maybe not a murder, but possibly other things. It doesn't bother me still. We've had it from 1992-present.
ILoveToRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:05 AM   #56
ladypage
And that's how the story about me sleeping with the entire Polish national basketball team started

Quote:

Haha, now that is spot on for me! I woulda high tailed it outta there.

Former Epcot CM

PROUD MEMBER OF
GIRAFFE WATCH 2012

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009176
ladypage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:51 AM   #57
JiggleStoof
Earning My Ears

My home used to a factory of underthings for the stylish gentleman. Occasionally I will receive a call from some telephonic misanthrope who is aggressively inquiring about a missing delivery of striped dainties...
JiggleStoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:38 AM   #58
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
That is true..in many areas I wonder how one would know. There used to be a show on HGTV regarding people learning about the house they lived in based on stuff left behind by former occupants (and that gets me..who leaves stuff behind when they move? I have never heard of people moving into a home with stuff still in it from previous owners aside from asking for things like the 'fridge or washer/dryer to convey) or things found in the walls (newspapers as insulation..etc) during renovations. Very interesting to me. I always wish we had that history here but so little was/is preserved that most of the really old stuff is museum/tour type stuff not personal residences.
My friends bought a house and in the attic in the very back corner they found a KKK flag, the outfit with the white hood etc and a bunch of KKK booklets etc.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #59
kamik86
DIS Veteran

I agree with others that it depends on the history. A locally (or larger) famous grusome murder, no. Someone died there. Sure.

The area I live in has a lot of old houses I'm going to guess that in the 200-ish years many of them have been standing at least one person died in most of them.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:51 AM   #60
Pooh67_68
My head looked like a brillo pad
DH gave me roses ... just because :)
Someone please take pity on me, and send me a small piece of pecan pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
Actually, the realtor has to tell you if you ask, but the realtor cannot disclose that information unless you ask.

The house we were looking at the realtor said i must inform you that a murder happened here.

We had already known about it though, as my husband new the person who was murdered.

Last edited by Pooh67_68; 04-09-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Pooh67_68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: