Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #16
Euphscott
DIS Veteran

I'd be more upset if it wasn't co-ed. It's a nice opportunity for couples to have the opportunity to share some relaxation time.

And we in America (as noted above) are really quite closed minded in comparison to the rest of the world's idea of spas and treatments. Japanese and other Asian cultures co-ed (and clothesless) spas are the norm.

The scrubbing aspect may be a little out there, but the rest of the relaxation stations are wonderful attractions for a couple looking to get away for a bit.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:26 AM   #17
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
I can understand what Beth is saying.

While spas are usually co-ed....steam rooms, saunas and showers are usually reserved for one gender or the other.

The Rainforest Room also has hot tubs and great, heated chaise lounges.

I'm certainly not offended by this being co-ed....and I wasn't offended by the public exfoliation....but I have to say, it did surprise me.

Think about being in a steam room with 10 people from your neighborhood, office, PTA etc...and they are all in bathing attire.

Now think about watching them smear and rub sugar scrub over all of their exposed skin.

And then......think about those same people rinsing sugar scrub off in large showers (while still in bathing attire) open to the rest of the Rainforest Room.

Maybe it's me....but I thought it was weird.

It's like shaving or shaving your legs with an audience.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with it.....but it's weird for it to be a communal co-ed activity.
Thanks for clarifying what i meant!

the rainforest seems so much like the sauna/whirlpool area, which at the spas i've been to has always been single sex (separate but equal - beautiful expansive areas for men and women - but separate, not co-ed)...

and to be honest, it took me a long time to feel comfortable in that setting even in a single sex environment (i guess i'm a throwback )...

your description had me guffawing by the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphscott View Post

And we in America (as noted above) are really quite closed minded in comparison to the rest of the world's idea of spas and treatments. *Japanese and other Asian cultures co-ed (and clothesless) spas are the norm.
as for germany, and the rest of the world, as i don't live in america, i'm aware of the differences. but does different necessarily mean they're right and america is wrong or vice versa?
All i can say is, when i first heard the rainforest was co-ed it made me uncomfortable.

but it's good to read all the different points of view - perhaps by the time the cruise comes around, i'll be more comfortable with the idea.

Last edited by disneyholic family; 04-08-2012 at 08:23 AM.
disneyholic family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #18
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post

as for germany, and the rest of the world, as i don't live in america, i'm aware of the differences. but does different necessarily mean they're right and america is wrong or vice versa?
All i can say is, when i first heard the rainforest was co-ed it made me uncomfortable.

but it's good to read all the different points of view - perhaps by the time the cruise comes around, i'll be more comfortable with the idea.
I said this on the cruise board, and I'll say it here. I found it as comfortable as being co-ed at the pool. To me, there was no difference, as we all wear bathing suits in the Rainforest Room.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #19
mytripsandraces
DIS Veteran

I don't mind that the Rainforest Room is co-ed, but I'm a bit skeeved out that people are scrubbing in the public area. I don't want to sit around in anyone's sloughed-off dead skin and used scrub, especially in a warm, moist environment. How often is the area sanitized?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:14 AM   #20
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

time to update my thread after actually having experienced the rainforest on the Dream during our 4 day cruise in October...

and the verdict is? I really enjoyed it...

my favorite part was the hot tub....i would have been happy to stay in there all day and night!!!
my sister and mom loved the ceramic loungers....
for the price, it was an amazing bargain....

as for the co-ed thing?
well it helped that i have the ultimate in modest swimsuits thanks to lands end, so i didn't think twice about it..
also there were barely any men there when we were, so that probably helped....

i will definitely do it again - and more than likely next time i'll buy the pass for the entire cruise!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: