Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #46
Strawberry's mom&dad
DIS Veteran

heatherlyn44

I want to thank you for your blog. It encouraged me to start running. well run/walk/run. I did my first 5k today. My time was 44 minutes. I was so proud of myself. I am going on the Fantasy May 26. I plan to do the CC5k I will just have to learn to deal with the heat. So far all of my training has been in 30-40 degree temps.

Strawberry's mom&dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #47
JLK2001
Earning My Ears

Would like to do this in Feb. 2013 and hope some others will be run/walking too..will be on the Feb 16th Fantasy 7 night Western. It would be my first 5K and seems like as good a place as any!

me, DH, DD 9
Disney Fantasy Western - Feb 16-23, 2013
JLK2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #48
EcbLovesMickey
Willing to Work for Disney Dollars!!!

Whoo Hoo! So excited to try this next year on the Fantasy!

EcbLovesMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #49
Irish9697
Mouseketeer

On the 12/18/11 Dream, there were probably 50 runners. We met in the sports bar and walked to the start. There were lots of kids!! There were walkers too, but also many 10Kers who did the course twice. There was a CM at the end calling time. I got a bib number for the race and a certificate in my room after and that was it. Never saw a tshirt for purchase. We did all take a group photo with Goofy we could've purchased. Still glad I did it!

4 times before kids...CR & CBR, With kids...3/04 Hyatt Grand Cypress & AKL, 1/05 ASMo & AKL, 10/07 ASMu, 3/09 CBR, 10/09 POFQ & the Wonder, 5/10 Wonder w/ MawMaw, 12/10 Pop, 12/11 Dream w/MawMaw & PawPaw, ASSP 8/12, DL offsite Candy Cane Inn 2/13, CSR 10/13, WL 12/13, AOA 5/14, Fantasy 5/14....plans for Disneyland in 2015 & Magic 12/15...
Irish9697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #50
uziel5000
Mouseketeer

I just had a thought... (though DCL might consider this a "stupid" thought)

They should give away the T-shirt for the top three finishers of the CC5K. The bibs and medals are nice but come on! I won a trophy ("ship on a stick") for movie trivia on a Carnival cruise. Winning a 5k, imho is a much higher accomplishment. A shirt might be nice.

Not that I would win it. I just started training for it and I'm struggling to run 2 miles. But the winners should.

On November 24, 2012, the Pink Elephants were on Parade in the Caribbean
uziel5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #51
rosermama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickprincess View Post
I'm thinking about doing this how do i get started. Even if i come in dead last HAHA i would like to say at least i did this.
If you are looking for training tips there are tons of programs out there to help you out. Try googling Couch to a 5k this is one of the most popular.

You can also try the galloway method which is what Disney promotes for training for the big races. This is a simple walk/run method that can be used to train for any race.

You don't have to run everyday to train for a 5K.

BEST OF LUCK- You can do it...
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #52
solfan68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickprincess View Post
I'm thinking about doing this how do i get started. Even if i come in dead last HAHA i would like to say at least i did this.
I am on week 3 of a Couch to 5K program that I downloaded to my ipod Touch. You can search for c25k in the itunes store and there will be several. Mine is the "5K Runner" app. I start a music playlist and then turn on the app. It will lower the music periodically and say things like "Run Now" or "Walk Now". You slowly build up over eight weeks or so from mostly walking to being able to run for the majority of the exercise period.

It hasn't been a 'walk in the park' but I am looking forward to running the CC5k with my sister and dad - both of whom have run the Januray Half several times. It'll be a real family affair this summer !

CBR - 7/94 CBR - 7/96 CSR - 6/07 POR - 6/08 WL - 1/11 DCL - 8/12
solfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #53
Relaxin'
Mouseketeer

Just got off the Fantasy and enjoyed the CC 5K. Even with the heat, I was able to do it in 42 minutes. Back in January, I was at 55 minutes. It was great to have Donald at the finish line.
March 1977 - first visit to WDW, August 1980 - first visit to Disney Land, May 1981 - WDW, December 1987 - WDW with my DH, July 2003 - Wilderness Lodge first family visit, December 2003 - Cirque du Soleil, December 2007 - Caribbean Beach - NYE in WDW, March 2009 - Wonder 4 day Bahama's, December 2009 - Magic NYE Western cruise, December 2010 - Wonder NYE Eastern cruise, January 2011 - Saratoga Springs - WDW 5K Buzz Lightyear run, December 2011 Dream 3 day Bahama's,Candle Light Processional, MVMCP March 2012 - Fantasy Maiden Voyage Western cruise,December 2012 - East Bound Panama Canal,October 2013 - Dream 3 day and 4 day Bahama's and 10 miler Tower of Terror race, Sept 2014 WBTA Magic,February 2015 Magic Western,September 2015 Wonder - Hawaii
Relaxin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #54
PRINCESS VIJA
BL6 Blue Team Captain
WISH Biggest Loser/BL I
Viva Latvia!
Future teacher, destined to touch young hearts and minds
Aced her PPSTs

Is there a time limit to finish the race? I am pretty slow, but would LOVE to do this!

Also, are the tshirts available to be purchased by anyone, or do you have to run the race to get them? When do the shops open?

Also, do you know what the sizes are? I won't fit into a large... yet! Soon I will!

I am going to do the Princess 1/2 marathon in 2013 and I think I would LOVE to do this too. BUT I am just really starting out with my weight loss journey and I don't know if I'll be quite ready to do a 5k in the beginning of July???
Oct. '07 DD woke up Tinkerbelle
Oct. '07 Won Dream Fastpasses
Oct. '08 First Family at Epcot Character Meet and Greet
Oct. '08 Magical Family ~ Opened MK
Aug. '09 Magical Family ~ Opened Disneyland Park
PRINCESS VIJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #55
Relaxin'
Mouseketeer

Hi Princess Vija

Is there a time limit to finish the race? I am pretty slow, but would LOVE to do this! The CM organizing the event indicated that he was going to be at the finish line until a certain time. (I think it was about 60 minutes.)

Also, are the tshirts available to be purchased by anyone, or do you have to run the race to get them? When do the shops open? Anyone can purchase the tshirts. They are a available where the run starts/finish. The Shops open as soon as the ship start letting people on the island.

Also, do you know what the sizes are? I won't fit into a large... yet! Soon I will!Only small and XXL were available for the Fantasy Maiden Voyage. I am sure as long as you focus on the food intake and exercise in a few months you will fit into a smaller size.

I am going to do the Princess 1/2 marathon in 2013 and I think I would LOVE to do this too. BUT I am just really starting out with my weight loss journey and I don't know if I'll be quite ready to do a 5k in the beginning of July??? Great goal. I am sure you will be ready for July, even if you do not think you are ready. You can always walk it. It is not a race, it is a run.
March 1977 - first visit to WDW, August 1980 - first visit to Disney Land, May 1981 - WDW, December 1987 - WDW with my DH, July 2003 - Wilderness Lodge first family visit, December 2003 - Cirque du Soleil, December 2007 - Caribbean Beach - NYE in WDW, March 2009 - Wonder 4 day Bahama's, December 2009 - Magic NYE Western cruise, December 2010 - Wonder NYE Eastern cruise, January 2011 - Saratoga Springs - WDW 5K Buzz Lightyear run, December 2011 Dream 3 day Bahama's,Candle Light Processional, MVMCP March 2012 - Fantasy Maiden Voyage Western cruise,December 2012 - East Bound Panama Canal,October 2013 - Dream 3 day and 4 day Bahama's and 10 miler Tower of Terror race, Sept 2014 WBTA Magic,February 2015 Magic Western,September 2015 Wonder - Hawaii
Relaxin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #56
PRINCESS VIJA
BL6 Blue Team Captain
WISH Biggest Loser/BL I
Viva Latvia!
Future teacher, destined to touch young hearts and minds
Aced her PPSTs

THanks so much for the info! AND the encouragement! I think I am going to do this! I just have to get my game plan ready to go, so that I can accomplish this new goal of mine.

HOPE you had a GREAT time on the Fantasy. We will be cruising on her very soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxin' View Post
Hi Princess Vija

Is there a time limit to finish the race? I am pretty slow, but would LOVE to do this! The CM organizing the event indicated that he was going to be at the finish line until a certain time. (I think it was about 60 minutes.)

Also, are the tshirts available to be purchased by anyone, or do you have to run the race to get them? When do the shops open? Anyone can purchase the tshirts. They are a available where the run starts/finish. The Shops open as soon as the ship start letting people on the island.

Also, do you know what the sizes are? I won't fit into a large... yet! Soon I will!Only small and XXL were available for the Fantasy Maiden Voyage. I am sure as long as you focus on the food intake and exercise in a few months you will fit into a smaller size.

I am going to do the Princess 1/2 marathon in 2013 and I think I would LOVE to do this too. BUT I am just really starting out with my weight loss journey and I don't know if I'll be quite ready to do a 5k in the beginning of July??? Great goal. I am sure you will be ready for July, even if you do not think you are ready. You can always walk it. It is not a race, it is a run.
Oct. '07 DD woke up Tinkerbelle
Oct. '07 Won Dream Fastpasses
Oct. '08 First Family at Epcot Character Meet and Greet
Oct. '08 Magical Family ~ Opened MK
Aug. '09 Magical Family ~ Opened Disneyland Park
PRINCESS VIJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #57
Conceptualice
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much for posting this wonderful thread and the link to your blog! I want to do the castaway cay 5k in two weeks and I am training for the princess marathon either in 2013 or 2014! I will definitely put your blog on my bookmark list! Thanks!
Old 04-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #58
Conceptualice
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much for posting this wonderful thread and the link to your blog! I want to do the castaway cay 5k in two weeks and I am training for the princess marathon either in 2013 or 2014! I will definitely put your blog on my bookmark list! Thanks!
Old 04-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #59
jrbdad
Mouseketeer

Wonderful blog - thanks for posting the link here.

I was wondering what time you were back at the ship and cleaned up ready to go? Trying to plan for our July trip and have a fishing excursion planned with my boys. TIA
jrbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #60
eeyoremommy
DIS Veteran

Did anyone answer the question regarding kids in the kids' club? I looked again and don't think I saw it answered. It hopefully will be my first 5k, and my DH was wanting to do it with me because he is worried about me. We have DS 8 that will not be able to do it too that we don't know what we will do with. If there are no kids' clubs available, I will have to do it by myself while they hang out. Just curious...
eeyoremommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: