Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #76
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,582

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
I'm the same way!

Often times you can tweak leftovers to be a completely different meal. You would never know you are eating leftovers. Like if we have leftover steak, I'll slice it up thin and make steak fajitas. Or leftover chicken, I'll make chicken fried rice.

To me, leftovers are a win-win.
Does the meat taste as good to you the 2nd time? It does not to me. Leftover meat is invariably dry or tough. It's a texture thing.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #77
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's
 
Imzadi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"
Posts: 24,215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtototoo View Post
Does the meat taste as good to you the 2nd time? It does not to me. Leftover meat is invariably dry or tough. It's a texture thing.
Then you are cooking the meat at too high a temperature (making it tough.) If it's too dry, sometimes you have to add extra liquid or water. Maybe only a couple tablespoons of water. You don't just flop leftovers in a pan, add heat and call it done.) Then there's probably adding it in at the wrong time for the dish as it is already pre-cooked and the rest of the ingredients may not be.

You don't re-cook the meats. They only need re-heating till they are hot. They are already cooked. And/or, if you know you are going to use some of the meat in a later meal, you can alternately not cook it long enough the first time that it will be over done when you re-heat it.

Whenever I've talked to people who don't like leftovers, they usually don't know HOW to reheat properly or how to add leftovers (pre-cooked) into a new dish. There IS a technique to it. It is different than first-time cooking.


Hmm, now I have a craving for fried rice. BTW, the rice in fried rice in Chinese restaurants is leftover rice, too. It is better that way, as it doesn't get too mushy or sticky when making fried rice. It actually has some bite to it.
__________________
"The Community Board -- Beating a dead horse one thread at a time." ~wvjules
..
"It is estimated that there are one billion stars, like ours, and in all the universe.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!

Last edited by Imzadi; 04-04-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #78
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

As long as his loans aren't in default I personally wouldn't care (if I was dating him). And since I was never a big fan of leftovers at that age, its not something that would register on my radar to discuss with my mom.
Of course I have changed since I was 22, and that may very well be the case with this guy. If there aren't plans for a wedding just yet, then really its not that big of a deal IMO.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #79
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtototoo View Post
Does the meat taste as good to you the 2nd time? It does not to me. Leftover meat is invariably dry or tough. It's a texture thing.
Tastes the same to me. I wouldn't eat meat that's 5 days old but the next day is perfectly fine.

Not liking leftovers is a first world problem if I ever heard one.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #80
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fairfield County
Posts: 3,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCarrie View Post

Not liking leftovers is a first world problem if I ever heard one.
HAVING leftovers is a first world problem.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #81
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
HAVING leftovers is a first world problem.

That too.

So many people on this thread would actually cook a ham for Easter dinner this weekend and throw out what is not eaten? Really? You wouldn't make ham sandwiches? You don't make turkey sandwiches the day after thanksgiving? How bizarre.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #82
disykat
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Washington State
Posts: 17,330

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
As long as his loans aren't in default I personally wouldn't care (if I was dating him).
His loans wouldn't be in default yet. He's "living off" them, which means he is currently accumulating them for his living expenses. To me, I'd expect that would mean he should be living as frugally as possible and it would be a red flag to me if he wasn't watching it.
__________________
DL - 1966,1974,2007 WDW 1987,
WDW/BRB 12/90 Honeymoon, DW/DCL 07/01 family 10th Ann, WDW 12/10 family 20th anniversary
disykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #83
disykat
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Washington State
Posts: 17,330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrite View Post
I'll admit....I'm a major food waster, for a couple of reasons.

1) I don't know the shelf life of food, so I figure better safe than sorry and throw it out. Lunchmeat gets tossed every Monday, eggs, even freezer foods that look like they've been there a while. Heck, I've tossed canned goods. I don't know how long this stuff is supposed to last.

2) Leftovers....I will on occasion eat them the following day, but that's it - it stops at day 2. I don't know the best way to store certain foods to keep the germs out. AND, I'm a big germaphobe when it comes to things like double-dipping. If I think for a minute, that a kid may have stuck a licked spoon in that bowl of soup, I wont eat it.
IMO, this is pretty normal. That doesn't mean you don't eat leftovers, it just means you are careful about shelf life.
__________________
DL - 1966,1974,2007 WDW 1987,
WDW/BRB 12/90 Honeymoon, DW/DCL 07/01 family 10th Ann, WDW 12/10 family 20th anniversary
disykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #84
Nayan
DIS Veteran
 
Nayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)
Posts: 1,447

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCarrie View Post
That too.

So many people on this thread would actually cook a ham for Easter dinner this weekend and throw out what is not eaten? Really? You wouldn't make ham sandwiches? You don't make turkey sandwiches the day after thanksgiving? How bizarre.
When I was around 11-12 years old we went to friends of my parents for Thanksgiving. They cooked a huge spread of ham, turkey, all the sides and desserts. After everyone couldn't eat anymore they threw it all away! Even at that age I couldn't believe it. I love leftovers!
__________________
Me DS
Nayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:15 AM   #85
MrsPete
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 11,785

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
His loans wouldn't be in default yet. He's "living off" them, which means he is currently accumulating them for his living expenses. To me, I'd expect that would mean he should be living as frugally as possible and it would be a red flag to me if he wasn't watching it.
This is my train of thought as well.

And I do think she should be concerned about it even though she's not officially in a serious relationship with him. She's at the stage where the two of them are evaulating one another's strengths and flaws and are trying to decide whether they're compatible with one another. The question isn't whether his loans are current; rather, the question is whether they both have the same tolerance for debt -- and I personally wouldn't saddle myself to a guy who wasn't frugal with money. It'd be a constant source of irritation between us.

In contrast, if he were forced to take out college loans BUT was also working and economizing so that he could take out the smallest amount possible, that'd be a different story.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #86
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why
Fell for it on 17th birthday
Can't travel in old underwear and socks!
Stop eating with food in your mouths!
 
Missy1961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: LI, NY--but dreaming of the Poly!
Posts: 31,842

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCarrie View Post
That too.

So many people on this thread would actually cook a ham for Easter dinner this weekend and throw out what is not eaten? Really? You wouldn't make ham sandwiches? You don't make turkey sandwiches the day after thanksgiving? How bizarre.
I don't know about that. I think a lot of people who don't like leftovers don't make extra food so there aren't leftovers. For instance, I live with my dad. We both like some foods leftover (chili, stew, ham, turkey) and some we don't. So I when I buy chicken, I portion it & freeze it before it's cooked. Then thaw and cook just enough for our dinner. But when I make stew, we eat it for dinner twice, and lunch once. We both love ham & turkey, but we just don't make it often when it's just the 2 of us, because there just so much leftover ham or turkey you can eat before getting sick of it. And I'm sorry, but it just doesn't freeze well once it's cooked. Oh, and I cook a fresh dinner most nights--no boxed or processsed food here. We survive without eating leftovers. And we're not wasting money either.
__________________
1993 Offsite; 1995-DL-offsite; 1999-Dixie Landings; 2004-All Star Movies; 2005-All Star Movies; 2006-Poly; 2007-Pop; 2008-Poly 2011-All Star Movies
Castle Every morning I bring you a cup of coffee, just so I can see a smile on your face. Because I think you are the most remarkable, maddening, challenging, frustrating, person I've ever met. And I love you Kate

Castle: Everything Iíve ever done, every choice Iíve ever made, every terrible or wonderful thing thatís ever happened to me, itís all led me to right here, this moment with you.

Beckett: I need you to know that our partnership, our relationship, is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. You're an amazing man and I love you with all of my heart. Always.

Beckett: I found the tape. I found it. It's over. Senator Bracken, you are under arrest for conspiracy, fraud and the murder of my mother, Johanna Beckett.

Castle: She's proud of you. Wherever she is, she's proud.
Missy1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #87
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran
 
Poohforyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrite View Post
I'll admit....I'm a major food waster, for a couple of reasons.

1) I don't know the shelf life of food, so I figure better safe than sorry and throw it out. Lunchmeat gets tossed every Monday, eggs, even freezer foods that look like they've been there a while. Heck, I've tossed canned goods. I don't know how long this stuff is supposed to last.

2) Leftovers....I will on occasion eat them the following day, but that's it - it stops at day 2. I don't know the best way to store certain foods to keep the germs out. AND, I'm a big germaphobe when it comes to things like double-dipping. If I think for a minute, that a kid may have stuck a licked spoon in that bowl of soup, I wont eat it.
It's very easy to find this info online. For an example, eggs will last 3-5 weeks, cold cuts 3-4 days, fish 1-2 days.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #88
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay
 
OceanAnnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 17,071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtototoo View Post
Does the meat taste as good to you the 2nd time?It does not to me. Leftover meat is invariably dry or tough. It's a texture thing.
Yes it does. If it didn't we wouldn't do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi View Post
Then you are cooking the meat at too high a temperature (making it tough.) If it's too dry, sometimes you have to add extra liquid or water. Maybe only a couple tablespoons of water. You don't just flop leftovers in a pan, add heat and call it done.) Then there's probably adding it in at the wrong time for the dish as it is already pre-cooked and the rest of the ingredients may not be.

You don't re-cook the meats. They only need re-heating till they are hot. They are already cooked. And/or, if you know you are going to use some of the meat in a later meal, you can alternately not cook it long enough the first time that it will be over done when you re-heat it.

Whenever I've talked to people who don't like leftovers, they usually don't know HOW to reheat properly or how to add leftovers (pre-cooked) into a new dish. There IS a technique to it. It is different than first-time cooking.


Hmm, now I have a craving for fried rice. BTW, the rice in fried rice in Chinese restaurants is leftover rice, too. It is better that way, as it doesn't get too mushy or sticky when making fried rice. It actually has some bite to it.
Exactly.
__________________


"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown



OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #89
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 8,227

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCarrie View Post
That too.

So many people on this thread would actually cook a ham for Easter dinner this weekend and throw out what is not eaten? Really? You wouldn't make ham sandwiches? You don't make turkey sandwiches the day after thanksgiving? How bizarre.
I send the leftovers home with my family members who love left overs (and we do not). Just because I don't eat them doesn't mean they get thrown away. In general, I try not to cook more than we will eat, so usually there is not extra food leftover after our normal everyday meals.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #90
bellanotte10

I'm gonna go snag some!
I felt like the worlds most awkward ninja
 
bellanotte10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mousechusetts
Posts: 2,663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Some people just don't do leftovers. It might be just a weird hang up. Some food does change (and not for the better) when reheated, taste and texture wise especially in the microwave. Some things get better.
this! this is why i don't eat certain foods as left overs. things with tomato sauce, taste funny to me. I don't do -certain- leftovers because they're never quite as good the next day. but i also have weird food issues. if my friends saw this post they'd be laughing hysterically at me. I just tried chowder for the first time the other day. I'm such a bad new englander but i have texture issues.
__________________
bellanotte10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.