Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #1501
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crostorfer View Post
I absolutely love 3rd floor Aotearoa. I like the older side of the resort better in general, it's more quiet and relaxing over there, and I love listening to the music from the Luau. If we weren't staying CL this time, I would absolutely request Aotearoa again. We paid for Lagoon View, but we had a dead on view of the castle to the right of a palm tree.
Me too I always find it strange when people complain about hearing the luau music over there. It is so lovely and really adds to the whole island feel of the resort. When the sliding doors are closed, it is silent so it doesn't interfere with sleeping. And the people watching is quite entertaining....peering over the balcony watching everyone so excited for the show. The beach over there is so quiet too and never crowded. LOVE IT!

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014
Old 04-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #1502
204charity
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
Me too I always find it strange when people complain about hearing the luau music over there. It is so lovely and really adds to the whole island feel of the resort. When the sliding doors are closed, it is silent so it doesn't interfere with sleeping. And the people watching is quite entertaining....peering over the balcony watching everyone so excited for the show. The beach over there is so quiet too and never crowded. LOVE IT!
Oh, that sounds heavenly. I requested Fiji or Tahiti. I wonder if we get Fiji if we'd hear the Luau too?

When we stay in Mexico, we always request a room by the open-air theatre. We love to hear the music, and the laughter. It makes us feel happy to hear others having a good time too!
April, 2012 -Disney's Polynesian Resort
November, 2012 - Barcelo Maya Palace, Mayan Riviera, Mexico

Our Poly Dream Vacation - April, 2012 Trip Report
My Parents Gave US the World - A Poly Dream PTR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #1503
crostorfer
Gryffindor Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204charity View Post
Oh, that sounds heavenly. I requested Fiji or Tahiti. I wonder if we get Fiji if we'd hear the Luau too?

When we stay in Mexico, we always request a room by the open-air theatre. We love to hear the music, and the laughter. It makes us feel happy to hear others having a good time too!
If you are in Fiji facing towards the wedding pavillion and GF you should hear the music no problem.

I think 3rd floor Fiji would be great too.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #1504
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Hello everyone! It has been a long time since I have visited this thread. Well Dh and I have decided our next family trip will be in September of 2013 and Dh will only stay at the Poly CL.

I have a lot of catching up to do. So if anyone has a summary of what I have missed in the last few months, please share.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #1505
HiHoOffWeGo
Mouseketeer

Anything to the roomer that the POLY will shut down all or part for referb in fall 2013? The person says it could be a complete shutdown due to renovation of the main building. Is this needed and when was the last upgrade?
Old 04-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #1506
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoOffWeGo View Post
Anything to the roomer that the POLY will shut down all or part for referb in fall 2013? The person says it could be a complete shutdown due to renovation of the main building. Is this needed and when was the last upgrade?
If this is true, then where should we stay?
Old 04-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #1507
MikeRx
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlnix30 View Post
Its funny. we all know Disney world is so much better than Disneyland! there its a land.. here its a WORLD!

there is no doubt where your loyalties lie! you are way closer to Disneyland but you prefer coming to the world! I wouldn't mind seeing Disneyland but I don't think I could stay 9 days there!
We did 8 nights at Disneyland in early December 2010 and it was great! We were at the Grand Californian and I had a meeting at the convention center (10 minute walk). I can say now that WDW is superior, but DL has it charm and should not be missed! Eight days was a long time, but I had a meeting the first 4 days so my DW, DS, DMIL went to the parks each day and I met them in the afternoon and for dinner. The character breakfast at GC was amazing! You could actually order off of the menu and not be forced to eat the buffet each time. I think we had breakfast here 4-5 times.

DL gets horribly crowded on the weekends due to annual/CA passes even in early December. The mid-week days were amazing and we were able to see everything, but by Friday we were walking on heads/crowd surfing to get to our lunch reservation at Blue Bayou. You need 2-3 days for both parks when it isnít crowded. With the new CarsLand I bet crowds will spike over at CA for quite some time.

If you couldnít understand my loyalties from my ticker, we will likely have 3 trips to WDW before returning to DL.

Mike DW DS (4) DMIL

First visit 1976, last visit WDW 2/2010 BC CL and DL GC 12/2010, future WDW 4/2012 POLY TPV, 7/2012 (off site meeting), 4/2013 POLY with Disney Dream cruise!
Old 04-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #1508
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead
We also were required to remove our shoes
ctober is our favorite time of year!!

Quote:
There's lots of rumors going around, but at this point they're just that - rumors

Old 04-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #1509
sandym718
DIS Veteran

I'm "following" the rumors as well, since we plan to return in March 2014!

Previous trips as a child/teen: FW 1985, offsite 1991, Disneyland 1992
Family trips: 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 - all at the Poly!

Old 04-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #1510
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We did a podcast on the monorail resorts and our discussion went to that rumor.. There is lots of speculation to the rehab that MUST be done. It's just a matter of how they plan on going about it.
http://disdads.com/archives/2345

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV

Last edited by carlnix30; 04-05-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #1511
HiHoOffWeGo
Mouseketeer

Carl, thanks, I will check out the link. The person said that unlike the other resorts that POLY's main building needs extensive rehab and they may have to close for a short while and that if so there would be expansion also. As in an indoor water park and new day care. Rumors are really flying. LOL

I know NATHING
Old 04-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #1512
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Carl, thanks, I will check out the link. The person said that unlike the other resorts that POLY's main building needs extensive rehab and they may have to close for a short while and that if so there would be expansion also. As in an indoor water park and new day care. Rumors are really flying. LOL

I know NATHING
Hmmm... Lots of speculation. but one thing is for sure, there will be an extensive rehab of the GCH. I heard rumors of DVC in the future. But heck next week we are going to hear that there will be a wild lizard riding ranch installed next to Tokelau!

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV
Old 04-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #1513
disneyfan67

Diehard Cowboy fan

Sorry for the long post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn Friends of Pooh View Post
There's lots of rumors going around, but at this point they're just that - rumors

There's always rumors, but don't count out the main building (GCH) and a maybe the few longhouses right near it, be torn down to make way for a DVC tower. Disney could kill two birds with one stone by doing this. They build a new tower or (GCH), but make it several stories high and add DVC rooms that way. It would take care of the existing problems with the GCH and add more space and much more revenue to a very popular resort. Then after that's built, they could move on to the other longhouses. DVC is a huge cash cow for Disney and I should know, I bought into it and I'm very happy.

It's no coincidence that the Contemporary had the BLT expansion built and now the Grand Floridan is adding a wing too. People said years ago that was wild rumors too and look how that turned out? It only makes sense that Disney cashes in with the Polynesian DVC which would sell out quickly. I would buy into it and make it my home resort, instead of AKL, which I own now.

I love the Polynesian and the vintage WDW history behind it, but it is 41 years old and showing it's age in some ways. Disney charges a premium to stay there and can't expand due to land limitations. Imagine what they could do if they had a 10 story tower (GCH) with modern DVC studio and suites to play with? It's guaranteed to make money and that's why you can bet it's going to happen. The sources I rely on tell me look for the fall of 2013 for a big announcement and they haven't told me wrong yet.

Last edited by disneyfan67; 04-05-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #1514
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan67 View Post
There's always rumors, but don't count out the main building (GCH) and a maybe the few longhouses right near it, be torn down to make way for a DVC tower. Disney could kill two birds with one stone by doing this. They build a new tower or (GCH), but make it several stories high and add DVC rooms that way. It would take care of the existing problems with the GCH and add more space and much more revenue to a very popular resort. Then after that's built, they could move on to the other longhouses. DVC is a huge cash cow for Disney and I should know, I bought into it and I'm very happy.

It's no confidence that the Contemporary had the BLT expansion built and now the Grand Floridan is adding a wing too. People said years ago that was wild rumors too and look how that turned out? It only makes sense that Disney cashes in with the Polynesian DVC which would sell out quickly. I would buy into it and make it my home resort, instead of AKL, which I own now.

I love the Polynesian and the vintage WDW history behind it, but it is 41 years old and showing it's age in some ways. Disney charges a premium to stay there and can't expand due to land limitations. Imagine what they could do if they had a 10 story tower (GCH) with modern DVC studio and suites to play with? It's guaranteed to make money and that's why you can bet it's going to happen. The sources I rely on tell me look for the fall of 2013 for a big announcement and they haven't told me wrong yet.
If they build a 10 story DVC tower or any tower for that matter, I will no longer stay at the Poly. I love the layout they have now. I understand it is an older resort and the buildings need to be redone. Also, by having even more rooms means more folks trying to get on the monorail. The monorail itself is old and not always running like it should.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #1515
SevenSeasLagoon5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor3297 View Post
If they build a 10 story DVC tower or any tower for that matter, I will no longer stay at the Poly. I love the layout they have now. I understand it is an older resort and the buildings need to be redone. Also, by having even more rooms means more folks trying to get on the monorail. The monorail itself is old and not always running like it should.
I understand how you feel about this. I felt the same way about the Grand Floridian DVC initially. The truth is, Disney knows they will make top dollar with these new DVCs on the monorail. If you don't stay there, many more will. Even though I am DVC now, I will always remember tha 3 monorail resorts when they were "vintage Disney". However, I will continue to stay at all 3... DVC or not. Nothing stays the same, as much as we might like. Sign of the times! At least we have our memories.

**DVC Founding Member** Bay Lake Tower Countless visits to WDW Resort since 1974 Disneyland CA Disneyland Paris
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: