Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #31
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

It's not just about the soup....
Read the original post.
There are other, possibly co-related, issues that might involve financial irresponsibility.

I know all about people who are controlling about what others eat.
I know all about people who expect others to always eat and enjoy whatever they have offered, no matter what.
If I thought that this was what was happening with the OP, I would have been all over that like white on rice.

My history of posts on that issue is well established here.

That is not how I am reading the OP's post.
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #32
AndyLL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLDM View Post
Some food simply doesn't taste good when reheated. Equating not liking leftovers to being financially irresponsible is just silly.
If a decent amount of edible food is being thrown every day then IMO it is being irresponsible.

Do the non-leftover eaters realize that some of the items they eat at resturants can be leftovers? Espicially at breakfast/lunch.
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #33
HannaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They are not even in a relationship but you see red flags because the guy doesn't like leftovers & wasn't interested in your yummy soup?

If I were the guy I might see red flags when the girl I was dating overreacted to me turning down her moms soup, then mom googles "people who don't eat leftover", then mom wants to discuss his dislike of leftovers on a discussion board.
Interesting, I got the impression the OP was googling "people who don't eat leftovers" out of curiosity about people in general. The "BF" was just the catalyst.

Whereas the DD is questioning the "BF's" financial acumen. If you are living off loans and only thinking about getting a job because you are out of borrowed cash, I think that is a red flag. My advice to the OP's DD is to run fast and far b/c you do not want to be financially burdened with this guy!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #34
LisaR

Quote:
They are not even in a relationship but you see red flags because the guy doesn't like leftovers & wasn't interested in your yummy soup?

If I were the guy I might see red flags when the girl I was dating overreacted to me turning down her moms soup, then mom googles "people who don't eat leftover", then mom wants to discuss his dislike of leftovers on a discussion board.
While I wouldn't dump a guy because he didn't do leftovers, I am thinking the red flags had to do with multiple other things besides leftover soup.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #35
LuvLDM
DIS Veteran

I agree living off loans is really foolish but the guy is a young college student I don't think it means he is destined for a life of financial ruin.

I think the op is over thinking it. He didn't want the soup, big deal. He is just some guy your adult daughter is seeing, they are not even in a serious relationship.
LuvLDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #36
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by si-am View Post
I don't eat leftovers unless it's pizza. I really don't enjoy eating something twice in a row and the thought of freezing it and eating it months down the road just sounds unappealing to me.

I send leftovers with my husband for his lunches at work.

I'm not financially irresponsible. I can afford to eat a brand new meal every day, so that's what I do.
My thoughts exactly. When I shop, I buy the right amount for each meal. E.g., there are three of us, so I'll buy three chicken breasts or 18 oz. of fish or whatever. And I *hate* eating food that was previously frozen. All we have in our freezer right now is ice cream and ice packs. To each his own.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #37
pirategirl34
Mouseketeer

There is a financially responsible way to avoid leftovers, andthen there is just being wasteful. We don't care for leftovers, but I refuse to throw away good food so I only cook what we will eat for that meal unless it is something I know we will eat reheated or that I can repurpose for another meal. It doesn't waste anything, and we are happy. I usually buy things in bulk sizes and use freezer bags to divide in to meal sized portions before freezing.
pirategirl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #38
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by si-am View Post
I don't buy frozen or processed stuff. And I still don't eat leftovers. And I'd like to know what's financially irresponsible about it?
If you have leftovers and "still don't eat them", then you're cooking irresponsibly.

Jim
LBIJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #39
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUTBAM View Post
The guy she's dating is a college student...they've been dating about a month and a half but aren't officially "in a relationship" yet (he wants it, but she's going slow). He lives in his own apartment (no roommate), drives a very nice truck, goes to school full-time, doesn't work, doesn't come from a wealthy family, and has said that he's "living on loans". He also recently mentioned to her that he needs to find a job because he's running out of money. Hmmm...okay.

Well, she feels sorry for him because he doesn't cook at all, and he eats out a lot .....

His response? "Well, IDK because I don't eat leftovers!"
If my DD were dating this young man I'd tell her to run away from him as if her pants were on fire.

In this case, not eating leftovers, in addition to all hhis other things, makes HIM financially irresponsible.

In other cases, if people have the income to support the "no leftovers" rule, then I have no problem with it.

Personally, I LOVE leftovers....eat them all the time.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #40
sbell111
I don't care if people walk slowly, as long as they are willing to do it behind me
Our roomba locked itself in the laundry room not too long ago

This thread is why people lie to one another early in a relationship.
sbell111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #41
IUTBAM
DIS Veteran

Some of you are getting my concerns, and some of you aren't. And that's okay. But just to clarify, *I* didn't say he was financially irresponsible, and I'm not saying those who don't eat leftovers are financially irresponsible. I was merely mentioning it because of something I read. And yes, I did google "people who don't eat leftovers" as a joke with my DD. That's the kind of relationship we have. In fact, she just texted me this morning with a joke about a frog because of a previous convo we had about frogs. If my DD is concerned about this guy, I am of course going to listen to her, and share my opinions. And for those who implied I was weird for googling it, well, sorry, I was just having some fun to share with my DD. For those who think I'm out of line for posting about it...you certainly are entitled to your opinion, but this IS a discussion board.

And yes, when you add up everything about him and how he handles his financial life, it does concern her that he's the type who doesn't eat "leftovers" (which is wasteful, especially considering where he's at in life right now) because it seems like he's already not on the right path financially...and he's 22, not 17-18.
IUTBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #42
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

A friend told me a few years ago she doesn't eat leftovers. I think she's the only person I've ever met to say that.

Anyway, as long as she's not asking me to pay her bills, then I don't think she's financially irresponsible. I love leftovers, on the other hand!!
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #43
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

People who don't eat them on principle? Issues. Not necessarily wasteful, but there are food issues of some kind there, if only rarefied taste.

There are some foods that simply do not keep without turning into mush or cardboard, and they don't work as leftovers for that reason. However, that still leaves a whole lot of food out there that is just fine re-heated or re-used as ingredients in other dishes. I don't like spending a whole lot of time cooking, so I am a big fan of making up dishes to freeze, but I only do that with foods that I know will tolerate it, and I'm also very careful about my freezing techniques. (Some things need to be frozen in a certain way in order to preserve the flavor and texture as nicely as possible, failure to do it right will give you a bad result.)

As to restaurants, oh yes, they do re-use, especially restaurants that have banquet facilities. I worked in such restaurants for years, and it is standard practice to re-work banquet leftovers for the next day's specials. (I once worked a business banquet that had a power failure an hour into the event. The guests were from overseas and thought that the lights out thing meant that they had to leave, and they did, immediately. We had 200 lbs. of steamed shrimp sitting on ice; they were being served out of an actual rowboat. For the next two days we served shrimp specials, from shrimp salad stuffed tomatoes to soup.)
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #44
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

I utilize leftovers a lot and grew up having them too..meals that were large you have again a few days later before it goes bad.

I know some people don't "do" leftovers because they don't want to eat the same thing again in such a recent timeframe. Some think the food is unsafe (and even as freaky as I am about food safety I don't feel that way) if it is a leftover..etc. I don't get it but if I had anti leftover family members (spouse/kids) I would have to adjust my servings when cooking so that there were little to no leftovers. I struggle throwing away a lot of perfectly good food.

I think in this case with the college student living off loans (pretty common these days) he is young and frankly might not know any better. People change and grow and mature. He might change his mind about leftovers a few years down the road or he might not. He is also young in the sense that he likely doesn't "get" that financially it would make sense for him to take a free homecooked meal and utilize leftovers as those are that many less meals he has to buy..but he likely will learn that as he grows up and matures. It doesn't mean people who don't like leftovers are irresponsible at all..and they likely adjust their cooking accordingly so there isn't a ton of waste..another thing that comes with age/maturity to realize the best way to utilize their resources.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #45
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLL View Post
If a decent amount of edible food is being thrown every day then IMO it is being irresponsible.

Do the non-leftover eaters realize that some of the items they eat at resturants can be leftovers? Espicially at breakfast/lunch.
I have a friend who LOVED the chicken and noodles and BBQ chicken sandwich from Lee's Famous Recipe Chicken - until I worked there and she found out how we made it. She came from a family that never ate leftovers. Once she found out it was made from the chicken pieces deemed unservable, that was skinned, meat picked off the bones, then stored in the cooler until we made a new batch of either one, she never ate either one again.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: