Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #16
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianca View Post
It always cracks me up when I hear people say "I don't eat leftovers", as they are usually the same people that don't think twice about loading up their freezer with stuff from the grocery store like: Marie Callenders Pot Pie (which was made prior to landing at the grocery store), Mrs. Stouffers Lasagna (which was again made prior to landing at the grocery store), TGI Fridays appetizers, PF Chang chinese food or Red Baron Pizza .... you get the idea.

All of those foods are LEFTOVERS that have to be re-heated. Somebody else made them and usually quite some time ago. When that is explained to the "non-leftover eater", I always laugh at their reaction. Priceless.

And yes ...... I consider them financially irresponsible.
My meals are homemade from scratch (even after working all day). I don't like processed foods. I also happen to not like leftovers. I don't think reheating is cooking. I don't even own a microwave.

And I am quite financially responsible.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #17
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
I don't really like most leftovers. There are a few I will eat lasagna, some casseroles, Thanksgiving stuff, but for the most part, no thanks. DH will take leftovers in his lunch though, so that is how we use them up. I know our eating habits and plan accordingly.
Same here. And we're doing fine financially.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #18
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

While we do use the leftovers....we rarely use them as "the same food". If there is leftover soup, we turn it into a hot dish. If there is leftover spaghetti sauce, we use it as pizza sauce. If there is leftover roast, it becomes hash or beef for stroganoff. Leftover veggies get used in soups or quesadillas.

DH does take leftovers in their original form to work for lunch. But honestly, freezing them grosses me out, and eating the same thing 2 days in a row does, too.

It's how I grew up, though. Everything gets used....but very rarely in the same way.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #19
Jaime4004
DIS Veteran

DH didn't eat leftovers when we met either. More because he's a bit of a hypochondriac and was worried about it making him sick. He had to get over it, however, because now his lunches are usually leftovers. He would starve otherwise. He still has a problem with take-out/restaurant leftovers though. But that's fine, more for me!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #20
IUTBAM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPete View Post
Back to the OP's question: If I were the girl in the budding relationship, this would be a red flag for me. He's spending rather freely, yet he's "living on loans", and he doesn't eat good, free food when it's offered to him. It would make me wonder whether the two of us would be financially compatible. I'd be watching him carefully to see whether he just didn't know how to manage his money (but was trainable) or whether he was going to go through life this way. I'd find out for sure before I'd officially "be in a relationship" with him.
Exactly! And this is what I've told her. It just brought up a flag to me. I'm a thrifty person myself, but my daughter is even more thrifty than me (hard to believe, I know, especially considering her age...but she was brought up that way). She's having a hard time with this...because she also sees it as a sign.
IUTBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #21
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar heel View Post
People who don't eat "leftovers" would have some hungry days at my house.

I put the word in quotes b/c I don't think of what I'm serving as leftovers. I almost always cook for double meals. We rarely have the same meal two days in a row, though -- I do different sides and rotate among the sides and entrees. There a few things that I reinvent -- pork tenderloin becomes pineapple fried rice, spaghetti sauce becomes baked spaghetti with a lot of cheese which tastes totally different, etc. I rarely freeze cooked food other than pounds of barbecue and once in a while a chicken pie.
this is how I cook, too..

Quote:
My meals are homemade from scratch (even after working all day). I don't like processed foods. I also happen to not like leftovers. I don't think reheating is cooking. I don't even own a microwave.

same here. we had been without a micro for a long time. The only thing I ever used it for was to heat up my bed buddy neck wrap when I was sick. However, our nanny cooks lunch for my youngest a few times a week and her grandma just died and left her a microwave. she brought it to my house to make things easier at lunch. I have no problem with it. But I agree...food cooked in a micro tastes nasty and in no way will I ever cook in it. I don't even reheat in it - all stove/oven. I just think the micro makes things gross tasting!!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #22
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

Some ppl get grossed out by leftovers or worry about food safety.

My MIL pretty much rarely eats leftovers for that reason. She always worries about getting sick from the food. My DH eats some leftovers but not a huge amount. He also gets a bit nervous about food safety.

I have a cast iron stomach and eat all kinds of leftovers. I don't follow guidelines for myself as a result. I do pay attention for my DH and kids and am much more careful with anything they eat. So I'm pretty much the garbage bin. Anything I get nervous about feeding them, I eat.

For your DD's guy - I'd pay more attention to overall financial habits than worry about his dislike for leftovers. That sounds more like the way he was brought up than anything else. My DH is one of the most financially frugal guys I know, but he does not care much at all for leftovers.

At that age, I was serious when choosing to date guys and paid attention to overall compatability. I even paid close attention to how his friends treated him! Financial sense was a huge consideration for me - and it sounds like it is important to your DD as well.
elaine amj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #23
LuvLDM
DIS Veteran

Some food simply doesn't taste good when reheated. Equating not liking leftovers to being financially irresponsible is just silly.

Maybe he was just being polite when he said yes to the soup but didn't really expect to be given enough that he had to freeze some.....
LuvLDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #24
LuvLDM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUTBAM View Post
Exactly! And this is what I've told her. It just brought up a flag to me. I'm a thrifty person myself, but my daughter is even more thrifty than me (hard to believe, I know, especially considering her age...but she was brought up that way). She's having a hard time with this...because she also sees it as a sign.
They are not even in a relationship but you see red flags because the guy doesn't like leftovers & wasn't interested in your yummy soup?

If I were the guy I might see red flags when the girl I was dating overreacted to me turning down her moms soup, then mom googles "people who don't eat leftover", then mom wants to discuss his dislike of leftovers on a discussion board.
LuvLDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #25
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

While the...not eating leftovers is not a deal breaker, sounds good that she is taking things slowly. Doesn't sound like he's a gem.

Before I flew to TX. to take care of our 2 DGSs for 9 weeks last year, I made DW's favorite vegetable soup and split pea soup. She had them for that length of time and we had the rest when I got back home. This past Saturday, I did a turkey breast for DFIL and us and it will take 2 weeks for DW and me to finish it off. Going to have month old unfrozen leftover BBQ chicken tomorrow.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #26
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Sure, you can pick one or two things in your life that're a "splurge" and still be financially responsible. But it sounds like this guy is living large in many ways -- probably beyond his means -- and can't afford it. If this leftover thing is a part of a larger pattern of poor money management, he may struggle with money all his life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IUTBAM View Post
I wouldn't kick him to the curb for just the leftover thing, but I would watch his other choices carefully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine amj View Post
At that age, I was serious when choosing to date guys and paid attention to overall compatability. I even paid close attention to how his friends treated him! Financial sense was a huge consideration for me - and it sounds like it is important to your DD as well.
That's just good common sense, but not everyone has developed it by college age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLDM View Post
Some food simply doesn't taste good when reheated. Equating not liking leftovers to being financially irresponsible is just silly.
Sure, that's why we cook a big fat lasagna . . . but fry only one piece of fish for each person. One tastes good the next day, while the other doesn't. It would be silly to treat all food the same way.
Quote:
They are not even in a relationship but you see red flags because the guy doesn't like leftovers & wasn't interested in your yummy soup?

If I were the guy I might see red flags when the girl I was dating overreacted to me turning down her moms soup, then mom googles "people who don't eat leftover", then mom wants to discuss his dislike of leftovers on a discussion board.
Go read the original post again. The leftovers aren't his only red flags.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #27
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

I do think that some people do just have a 'thing' about leftovers..
Why????? Beats me!

I do not mind leftovers at all.
There are things that ARE better the next day!

However, I cringe at the 'frozen' and reheated thing.

I only buy frozen foods that just happen to freeze well.
Many don't.
And, freezing at home in my freezer is just not the same as foods that are prepared to be frozen and then frozen with the techniques and low temperatures that are used today.

I do not know if this guys 'no leftovers' thing is just one of his hang-ups, or if it is indeed linked to his dubious financial views. People do have different food preferences and idiosyncrasies.

It is his financial views that would have me .
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #28
IUTBAM
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Maybe he was just being polite when he said yes to the soup but didn't really expect to be given enough that he had to freeze some.....
I only brought up the financial responsibility due to the interesting article I found. It does seem to make sense to me, but I understand where others wouldn't think so.

We weren't giving him enough to freeze. She wanted to put enough for a meal in a freezer container for him since she wouldn't be seeing him until the weekend.
IUTBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #29
sbell111
I don't care if people walk slowly, as long as they are willing to do it behind me
Our roomba locked itself in the laundry room not too long ago

Quote:

sbell111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #30
si-am
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianca View Post
It always cracks me up when I hear people say "I don't eat leftovers", as they are usually the same people that don't think twice about loading up their freezer with stuff from the grocery store like: Marie Callenders Pot Pie (which was made prior to landing at the grocery store), Mrs. Stouffers Lasagna (which was again made prior to landing at the grocery store), TGI Fridays appetizers, PF Chang chinese food or Red Baron Pizza .... you get the idea.

All of those foods are LEFTOVERS that have to be re-heated. Somebody else made them and usually quite some time ago. When that is explained to the "non-leftover eater", I always laugh at their reaction. Priceless.

And yes ...... I consider them financially irresponsible.

I don't buy frozen or processed stuff. And I still don't eat leftovers. And I'd like to know what's financially irresponsible about it?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: