Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #1471
KAA1972
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan67 View Post
T
We're doing 5 days in late July and it's been a couple years since I did the Polynesian and I'm looking forward to it. It's kind of funny and ironic because 10 years ago around this time frame, my wife and I booked the Polynesian for our first family trip ever. My two sons were just 5 at the time and we made a lot of memories that trip and became frequent visitors and later, DVC owners. Now we're going back to where it all started for us, 10 years later.
My mom and dad took me to my first WDW trip when I was 5 (35 years ago) and we stayed at the Poly. Now, my husband and I are taking my mom and dad and our 5 year old. I felt like we are definitely going back to where it all started!!!

Old 04-03-2012, 05:00 AM   #1472
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by padawans View Post
Congrats on being a young grampa. My dad was 40 when he had me. I didn't start having kids until my 30's. My dad unfortunately died of cancer before I had kids. I would embrace being an underaged grampa. You will have lots of years to enjoy your grandkids.
That's a great way to look at it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971DBday View Post
I have to admit I would be crying....(now 40). However, your talking about a person that cried with a good glass of wine when her youngest lost her first tooth a week after she turned 5. But as a PP stated at least you will be able to send your Grandson home when you've gotten your fill! That's one of my favorite things with nieces and nephews!!!
I can just say "here ya go he's poopy!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishinuponastar View Post
Wow! Some people have no manners at all... Unfortunately,it's almost everywhere you go, even at Disney... From reading through the thread, sounds like you ended up with a magical vacation all in all... ( Even though it kind of sounded like maybe you wanted to "help" them to their bus... )
It was funny and made me angry at the same time. a whole lot of people either have reservations at Ohana or the luau and just hang around to watch Wishes on the beach. In my opinion the poly beach is the best place to watch it. Head on view, not being elbowed by the mass crowds, no camping out for an hour or more to get a good spot to see wishes, no fighting over getting on the monorail or bus, and so much more that you don't have to deal with, so I don't blame them for coming to experience wishes on the Poly beach. However they should be respectful of the Cast Members, guests, and the resort because if it does become a bigger problem than it already is, they will start chasing them off. Walt knew what he was doing when he built the poly right across the lagoon! He just didn't know that society would change so terribly.

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #1473
bethnkatesmom
Earning My Ears

We just returned from Poly and had a wonderful stay!

We were moved to Poly in February because our RR at POR would not be done. I had put in a request for Tokelau 3rd floor. We were so excited when we saw that our building and floor request were both granted at check in. When we got to our room I was even more excited when I saw that it was a corner room!

We walked into our room and sitting on the dresser was a milk container half full, box of cereal, comb, couch was unmade and sweatshirt on balcony. There were no clothes in the drawers or anything else but there was definately somebody elses stuff in our room

We went back to the front desk and the manager went to look at the room. He said that the family had definately checked out but he thought they might have returned later after the room had been cleaned to nap kids or something. Why would your key still work after check out?

Since we loved the room we offered to wait to have it cleaned again but the manager said don't worry I am going to give you a better room ......... He moved us to Hawaii!!!!!!

We had such an awesome time. I loved every minute of our stay and hope to return to Poly in the future.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #1474
damren
Forever Disney <3

Sweet Upgrade!

Old 04-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #1475
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

bethnkatesmom What a great story! That is customer service at its finest. A manager making sure that your lemons turn into magical lemonade He knows now that you will be hooked on Poly and be back. Glad you had a wonderful stay.

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014
Old 04-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #1476
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbler View Post
I have a quick question regarding cabanna's. Are there issues - or has anyone experienced issues - with either non-resort guests and/or resort guests trying to go into the cabanna you have rented and make themselves comfortable?

If so how did you handle this?

Thanks
We rented a regular cabana and it wasn't a problem. The advantage with the regular cabana's location is that they are in a raised area. The only way to access them is up a set of stairs and that can be roped off (our attendant would actually close it after himself)

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
Old 04-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #1477
auprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethnkatesmom View Post
We just returned from Poly and had a wonderful stay!

We were moved to Poly in February because our RR at POR would not be done. I had put in a request for Tokelau 3rd floor. We were so excited when we saw that our building and floor request were both granted at check in. When we got to our room I was even more excited when I saw that it was a corner room!

We walked into our room and sitting on the dresser was a milk container half full, box of cereal, comb, couch was unmade and sweatshirt on balcony. There were no clothes in the drawers or anything else but there was definately somebody elses stuff in our room

We went back to the front desk and the manager went to look at the room. He said that the family had definately checked out but he thought they might have returned later after the room had been cleaned to nap kids or something. Why would your key still work after check out?

Since we loved the room we offered to wait to have it cleaned again but the manager said don't worry I am going to give you a better room ......... He moved us to Hawaii!!!!!!

We had such an awesome time. I loved every minute of our stay and hope to return to Poly in the future.
Nice!!!
April 2012 Polynesion
Old 04-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #1478
204charity
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
We rented a regular cabana and it wasn't a problem. The advantage with the regular cabana's location is that they are in a raised area. The only way to access them is up a set of stairs and that can be roped off (our attendant would actually close it after himself)
That's good to know! Just 11 more days and we will be at the Poly!!!
April, 2012 -Disney's Polynesian Resort
November, 2012 - Barcelo Maya Palace, Mayan Riviera, Mexico

Our Poly Dream Vacation - April, 2012 Trip Report
My Parents Gave US the World - A Poly Dream PTR
Old 04-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #1479
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

So I just got back from staying at the Disneyland hotel and I had to tell you about their quick service - Tangoroa Terrace. It was like being at Captain Cooks! They had the same decor, ordering kiosks (even with the 'order here' icon surrounding by those palm tree leaves!), and Polynesian feel. Of course, it just made us 'Poly' homesick but it was neat to see.

Back to regular programming...

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Old 04-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #1480
MushLRC
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Glad you had a great trip!

Lucky....(in my best Napolean Dynamite voice).
Okay so I'm reading through the posts while drinking coffee and the Napolean Dynamite voice just made me snarf my coffee up my nose. Thank so much for the laugh. Now go feed Tina!!

Old 04-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #1481
chimo2u
DIS Veteran

Smile First POLY stay

So excited! All our ADRS are made, and I am so very much looking forward to my first GV CL Poly stay Sept/Oct ! Only 178 days to go I was very happy with IPO booking our dining....they got most of the timings I wanted, except OHANA is at 7:05 pm on Sept 29 instead of 6:15/6:30 like I was hoping for....but hey, we will take it
We got our Cabana booked for our MNSSHP day (sept 30/ hopefully ) and are hoping to get Manu Kea? If we can on the day of.
Question: are we supposed to tip our Cabana attendant? And if so, what is appropriate? Would hate to not if it was a normal/ expected practice

I hope we come back loving the POLY like you all do!

Marie

Disney Trips:January 15-23, 2008 - AKL CL Celebrating DH leave from Afghanistan | Sept 1-12, 2009 - Storming the World with Friends, AKL CL Free Dining | August 20-29, 2010 Mom n' Son only trip, First time at Beach Club GV CL/ Universal Studios PBH CL ** POSTPONED ** Mom n' Son Trip is back on FEB 5-10, 2011 BC GV/Club Level with Basic DDP/Universal Studios HRH CL Feb 10/11/12 (DS's surprise** ) Sept 29 -Oct 7 2012 Best Friend Getaway POLY CL/ HRH CL
Old 04-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #1482
204charity
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushLRC View Post
Okay so I'm reading through the posts while drinking coffee and the Napolean Dynamite voice just made me snarf my coffee up my nose. Thank so much for the laugh. Now go feed Tina!!
Tina! Eat your meat!!!
April, 2012 -Disney's Polynesian Resort
November, 2012 - Barcelo Maya Palace, Mayan Riviera, Mexico

Our Poly Dream Vacation - April, 2012 Trip Report
My Parents Gave US the World - A Poly Dream PTR
Old 04-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #1483
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimo2u View Post
So excited! All our ADRS are made, and I am so very much looking forward to my first GV CL Poly stay Sept/Oct ! Only 178 days to go I was very happy with IPO booking our dining....they got most of the timings I wanted, except OHANA is at 7:05 pm on Sept 29 instead of 6:15/6:30 like I was hoping for....but hey, we will take it
We got our Cabana booked for our MNSSHP day (sept 30/ hopefully ) and are hoping to get Manu Kea? If we can on the day of.
Question: are we supposed to tip our Cabana attendant? And if so, what is appropriate? Would hate to not if it was a normal/ expected practice

I hope we come back loving the POLY like you all do!

Marie
The cabana attendant works for recreation department and do not expect a tip. But we do it anyway but in no way are you obligated.

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV
Old 04-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #1484
disneyfan67

Diehard Cowboy fan

How has your experience been with the online check in? I'm thinking of doing it the day before my arrival at the Poly when I'm finishing up my stay at Universal. I would love to get a balcony or patio room and can you request this online? I have never done the online check in, so I'm curious on people's experience with it.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #1485
WDWDad73
Earning My Ears

LOVE THIS HOTEL!!!! MY favorite!!!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: