Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #46
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Great start to your trip, Tammie!

I love all your photos, such a shame it was raining, but at least you had a drink to keep you .... entertained!

Those trees look awesome!

More please!
Well thank you Karin! I'm glad you're liking it so far!

Yes, when in the tropics, you just have to do things even in the rain, or you won't do anything. A nice beverage is always a plus!

I am amazed at those trees! There was a bigger one in the park downtown, but I'm not sure I got a clear pic of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
Now that's funny. Can you tell I've never had one before?!?
Oh, a Mai Tai virgin? We must send you to Hawaii!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post
Hi Tammie! So excited to read about your adventures in Hawaii!
So hopeful we cab manage a trip there in the near (or not so near) future!!
Jen! So happy you're here!

I hope you get to visit Hawaii, but I don't think you can cab there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
What, you had a desk in your room -- on Uncle Sam's dime???

Those banyan trees are amazing!

Hey, you'd better visit Pearl Harbor....I said "yes" to that in the game.
Oh, the desk is for studying when you are attending a school, or writing a long love letter home, I'm sure!

I love looking at those trees - Dan still got the best one though!

Hmmmm did she or didn't she????
Old 03-21-2012, 02:06 AM   #47
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

The First Mai Tai

Last Call! I have answers from several of you, tonight's update won't give anything away, so I am going to say last call on the game. Please PM your answers if you are playing!

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled program. After our adventure to the pool and past the
Admiral's House, we decided to really live it up and go out on the town for dinner. The military has a hotel that was originally put in for R&R for soldiers getting a break from Vietnam, and then it grew into a pretty special place, (like SOG), that military members, veterans and DOD employees can stay at for a very nice rate. On Waikiki, it's Hale Koa! We had heard that the best Mai Tais on the island were here, so we had to find out!

We hopped into the car and headed downtown. With no traffic it takes about 15 min to get to Waikiki, but the traffic is terrible on Oahu. We were hungry about rush hour time, so we ended up bumper to bumper all the way. I believe it took 45 minutes to get there. Part of Hale Koa is right on the beach, but you park in a parking garage nearby, and then the Main part of the resort is in a park like setting along the street.

http://www.halekoa.com/about_us/faci...d_services.cfm

We parked and walked toward the street that divides the area - with a staircase leading up to the lobby, and stopped short. It was POURING down rain! The wind was blowing and it was only about 70 degrees. Michelle was wearing a sun dress and a light sweater, I had capris and a T-shirt with a light sweater. Wishing I had brought my sweatshirt, we ran across the street and started up the steps, and the pouring rain became just a sprinkle. Just like that, the breeze felt warm and the air smelled like flowers. We were greeted by this beautiful open air lobby:

We walked through the atrium,

and found our way to the KoKo Cafe. There was a long line at the podium out in the hall for seating. It was all senior citizens. We went up to the front to see if we could look at the menu, and the lady at the front of the line was glaring at us! Wayne piped up with, "Don't worry, we're just looking at a menu - you're next!" We got back in line and had a good laugh over how happy being retired military makes you - Jim will be retiring in September! The line moved very quickly, and soon we were seated in a wonderful tropical environment, with bamboo chairs and comfortable cushions. If it wasn't raining, we would have sat out on the patio overlooking the ocean, but since it was raining and cold, we opted for the indoor seating. Soon we were served a wonderful glass of Pineapple rum deliciousness

Jim didn't get to take the taste test, because he was our DD, but he was willing to take our word for it! Cheers!

I didn't take pics of the food, but they had Mahi Mahi prepared several different ways, as well as other seafood and steak. We ordered Mahi Mahi and swordfish. The Mahi Mahi had a delicious Mango BBQ sauce, and I don't really remember what the sauce on the swordfish was, but it was all wonderful!

We were served a bread basket with lots of different types of bread. They had a sweet dark roll that was TDF - just like on the DCL. But the fun one was made with poi. It actually was purple on the inside!

We eyed the dessert menu, which had some nice looking bread pudding on it, but we just couldn't even consider dessert, we were so full!

We wandered around exploring the hotel a bit, looked in the gift shops and then decided it was time to call it a night. An employee had told us that we should wait near the taxi line for a "Caboosie" So Jim asked the valet about the "caboosie" He waived us over to the left - another valet came over and asked if we needed a cab. Wayne asked if this was the caboosie line, and the guy waived us off So we realized it had stopped raining and was actually pretty warm - we walked back to the car and were soon back at our hotel, as the traffice had subsided. It was a beautiful start to vacation for the Wahines, halfway through a nice work trip for the Kanes.

Next up- Buckets and Buckets

Last edited by MAGICFOR2; 03-21-2012 at 02:16 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #48
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Gate lice!!! I didn't know there was a name for those awful people!! It makes me crazy, too- why don't they go sit down?????

It sounds like you had a very nice first dinner. And Jim looks VERY handsome & strong in uniform! He makes me feel safe all the way over here in NJ!

BTW- I am SOOOO jealous that you can fly to San Fran in an hour! I LOVE that city!!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #49
karajeboo
DISmom by land and by sea!

OK, now I must ask, is there a "bad" mai tai? The first may be the best, but really, what's wrong with the second? Or 6th? Hmmmmm?????

Great start, except for the rain, and I kinda know where that was headed (I watch the news ya know!).....

Check out my TRs: DISmoms 3! If the Tiara Fits..... May, 2011
The McSparklesons are BACK! And they are CRUISIN! March, 2011
DISmoms Round Two: Don't Axe, Don't Tell May 2010 - A joint TR with my fellow DISmoms!
On the 1st Day of Christmas, Walt Disney Gave to Me...... December 2009; Belly Up at the Dolphin September, 2009 ,
Yes, I AM the Upgrade Queen May, 2009, DISmoms Gone WILD!!!! , May, 2009
A Joint TR with "podsnel" and "Camster0307"

Upgrades, Underwear, and Upside Down Fun - a TR full of "new" adventures! , March, 2009
5/2012 DCL Dream (DISmoms 4) 3/2012 DCL Magic Western Caribbean 12/2011 BWV (Mom/Dad's 50th Anniversary) 5/2011 BWV (DISmoms Gone Wild III) DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean (First family cruise!) 5/2010 BCV (DISmoms Gone Wild Part II) 4/2010 CSR (Mother/Daughter Trip12/2009 VWL (Family Christmas Trip) 9/2009 Dolphin (Mother/Daughter Trip) 8/2009 ASSP (Mothers/Daughters Trip with Neighbors) 5/2009 AKL (DISmoms Gone Wild Trip), 5/2009 AKL (Family Trip), 3/2009 CSR (Mother/Daughter Weekend), 11/2008 CSR (Mother/Daugter Trip), 9/2008 Yacht Club (Anniversary Trip), 5/2008 POP (Grand Gathering),3/2008 POR (P&PP), 5/2006 POP (Family Trip), 5/2000 CSR (Business), 5/1998 BWI (Honeymoon), Multiple offsite adventures!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #50
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Gate lice!!! I didn't know there was a name for those awful people!! It makes me crazy, too- why don't they go sit down?????

It sounds like you had a very nice first dinner. And Jim looks VERY handsome & strong in uniform! He makes me feel safe all the way over here in NJ!

BTW- I am SOOOO jealous that you can fly to San Fran in an hour! I LOVE that city!!
I think Laura actually coined the "gate lice" phrase. Good one, eh? It's hard not to say it out loud - "Excuse me, you gate lice, I have number 3, could you GET OUT OF THE WAY????"

Dinner was a great start to our trip!
I'm glad you feel safe, and I think he's kind of cute!

We fell in love with SF when we were there on our cruise. I would love to just head down there some weekend just for fun, but it seems we are always busy with something else or saving for something else... I think it's fun you can get to NYC anytime, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karajeboo View Post
OK, now I must ask, is there a "bad" mai tai? The first may be the best, but really, what's wrong with the second? Or 6th? Hmmmmm?????

Great start, except for the rain, and I kinda know where that was headed (I watch the news ya know!).....
Oh, we have found a "bad" Mai Tai. Wait for it. Now, the 6th one can't possibly be bad

Yes, the weather was kind of famous that week
Old 03-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #51
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
I was realizing that our arrival day's activities won't give anything away, so I think we'll get this party started!

Quote:
I was afraid we wouldn't hear the alarm clock at 3am, so I set 3 alarms! Michelle told me she did the same, and had me call her to be sure she was up!
ugh. 3am. I don't think the sidewalks are unrolled yet, are they?

Quote:
The boarding process was crazy slow as they were combining computer systems for United and Continental that day - every time they had a problem with the computer, the person checking the boarding passes would stop letting people on and help the other two try to figure it out.
3am... and then you picked a perfect day for travel! You're two for two!

Quote:
And then there were the gate lice, whose boarding number hadn't been called, but they were crowding the area so the ones who were called couldn't get through. I just don't understand that mentatility.
sheep. It's sheep mentality. But I love the term 'gate lice'.

That's awesome.

Quote:
Well, it was an exit seat on a 777 with a big door but no window!
B777 - yay!
no window - boo!

Quote:
It was okay though, I had tons of room because it was the front of a section, I sat with a pilot, and the flight attendant who had her jump seat there was really friendly.
OMG! The pilot sat in the back? WHO'S FLYING THE DARN AIRPLANE?!?!?

What? Oh, "a pilot" not the pilot.

Okay, then. <phew!>

Quote:
She even bought me a drink for being a military wife!
Nice!

Quote:
Before we knew it, we were landing in Honolulu!!! We had to board a shuttle to the other side of the airport, and then on a monorail to get our luggage. Baggage claim was kind of open air, so it was our first feel of nice warm air and the smell of flowers!
I so can't wait for that.

Quote:
Just so you don't think the tax payers are paying for 5 star resorts, here are our accomodations - I AM NOT complaining - it was clean and comfortable and FREE!
There's definitely something to be said for free isn't there?

Quote:
The Bathroom was so small you had to step outside the door to use the hair dryer!
Well... look at the bright side. At least it was indoors!

Quote:
As soon as I kicked off my shoes, Michelle called and said Jesse wanted to go to the pool, and did I want to have a drink to get vacation started? Well, it was 5 O'clock in Oregon by then, so why not?
It's always after 5 somewhere when you're on holiday.

Quote:
and over to the shopette ( you are going to learn all our lingo here) It is like a convenience store.
Only smaller right? Do you have to squat or crawl to get through the front door? Do you have to crouch so your head doesn't hit the ceiling? That's so cool.

Quote:
Jesse wanted to be Tarzan
Doesn't everybody?

Quote:
We relaxed on the lounge chairs and the tone was set for the vacation - it started to rain.
oh.... poop.

Quote:
After our adventure to the pool and past the Admiral's House,
To Grandfather's house we go!

What? That's how the song goes, isn't it?

Quote:
We had heard that the best Mai Tais on the island were here, so we had to find out!
Well, there are some things in life that are a priority.

This sounds like one of those things.

Quote:
With no traffic it takes about 15 min to get to Waikiki, but the traffic is terrible on Oahu. We were hungry about rush hour time, so we ended up bumper to bumper all the way. I believe it took 45 minutes to get there.
I've been hearing horror stories of Oahu traffic. Blech.

Quote:
We went up to the front to see if we could look at the menu, and the lady at the front of the line was glaring at us! Wayne piped up with, "Don't worry, we're just looking at a menu - you're next!"
I'd probably say something like, "Don't worry, I slipped the hostess a dollar so she put us at the front of the line!"

Quote:
We got back in line and had a good laugh over how happy being retired military makes you - Jim will be retiring in September!
Very nice!

Quote:
I didn't take pics of the food, but they had Mahi Mahi prepared several different ways, as well as other seafood and steak. We ordered Mahi Mahi and swordfish. The Mahi Mahi had a delicious Mango BBQ sauce, and I don't really remember what the sauce on the swordfish was, but it was all wonderful!
Can't wait to try fresh seafood, too!

Quote:
We were served a bread basket with lots of different types of bread. They had a sweet dark roll that was TDF - just like on the DCL. But the fun one was made with poi. It actually was purple on the inside!
How did it taste? I (like most tourists) am not a fan of poi.

Quote:
An employee had told us that we should wait near the taxi line for a "Caboosie"
Caboosie? Is that like a shopette? Are there really tiny people in Hawaii?

Quote:
So Jim asked the valet about the "caboosie" He waived us over to the left - another valet came over and asked if we needed a cab. Wayne asked if this was the caboosie line, and the guy waived us off
"Hey, Bob. Here comes some tourists. Let's have some fun with 'em."
"Okay, I'll tell 'em they need a 'caboosie' and send 'em to you."
" 'Caboosie', good one. Then I'll act like I don't know what they're talking about. Shhhh, here they come!"

Quote:
Next up- Buckets and Buckets
I hope that's not as in it rained buckets and buckets! Thanks for the updates!

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
Old 03-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #52
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

The first IS the best, even if you had to run through the rain to get it! It might not "technically" be the best on the taste/mix side but simply by virtue of being first, even it it ends up being the worst, it is still the best!

Sounds like lots of attitude in Waikiki, no fun. Love the poi bread, we made sandwiches out of it when we were there last year, SO yummy!

Old 03-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #53
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkondz View Post

ugh. 3am. I don't think the sidewalks are unrolled yet, are they?

Nope, I'm sure they aren't!

3am... and then you picked a perfect day for travel! You're two for two!

Oh, I do know how to pick 'em!

sheep. It's sheep mentality. But I love the term 'gate lice'.

That's awesome.

Baaaaaah!

B777 - yay!
no window - boo!

OMG! The pilot sat in the back? WHO'S FLYING THE DARN AIRPLANE?!?!?

What? Oh, "a pilot" not the pilot.

Okay, then. <phew!>

Nice!

I so can't wait for that.

There's definitely something to be said for free isn't there?

FREE is good!

Well... look at the bright side. At least it was indoors!

It's always after 5 somewhere when you're on holiday.

That's what I was thinking!

Only smaller right? Do you have to squat or crawl to get through the front door? Do you have to crouch so your head doesn't hit the ceiling? That's so cool.

It is run by Hobbits.
Doesn't everybody?

oh.... poop.

To Grandfather's house we go!

What? That's how the song goes, isn't it?

Yep! Throught the park and around the Banyan, to Admiral's House we go....

Well, there are some things in life that are a priority.

This sounds like one of those things.

I've been hearing horror stories of Oahu traffic. Blech.

I'd probably say something like, "Don't worry, I slipped the hostess a dollar so she put us at the front of the line!"

I think that's what she thought!

Very nice!

Can't wait to try fresh seafood, too!

How did it taste? I (like most tourists) am not a fan of poi.

The bread was delicious! It actually had some flavor!

Caboosie? Is that like a shopette? Are there really tiny people in Hawaii?

Hobbits.

"Hey, Bob. Here comes some tourists. Let's have some fun with 'em."
"Okay, I'll tell 'em they need a 'caboosie' and send 'em to you."
" 'Caboosie', good one. Then I'll act like I don't know what they're talking about. Shhhh, here they come!"

I have to share that one with Jim - maybe that's what happened!

I hope that's not as in it rained buckets and buckets! Thanks for the updates!
fun to have you here - get out your umbrella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
The first IS the best, even if you had to run through the rain to get it! It might not "technically" be the best on the taste/mix side but simply by virtue of being first, even it it ends up being the worst, it is still the best!

Sounds like lots of attitude in Waikiki, no fun. Love the poi bread, we made sandwiches out of it when we were there last year, SO yummy!

I agree. In this case, I think this was the best - fresh juice and premium rum!

Oh, your sandwiches look delicious! I didn't know you could buy a loaf of it!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #54
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Aloha Again!

I have to say Aloha again! We are heading to Phoenix for some house hunting tomorrow! We have executive box seats at a Suns/Spurs game, so Jim has his orange hat all ready! I'm hoping we can take in a Spring Training baseball game - I think the Angels are playing! I'm not sure how much access I'll have to the computer for the first few days, so that gives late comers (better late than never, right?) a chance at the game until my next update. I'll get your answers tallied when I start it.

Have a Magical week, and Aloha!
Old 03-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #55
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Safe travels, Tammie and I hope you find the house of your dreams!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Old 03-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #56
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Good luck with the house hunting!

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
Old 03-31-2012, 05:46 PM   #57
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone! I'm back from a week of wonderful glorious sunshine to find us driving home in a snowstorm. I will be so glad to be living where it's warm - okay HOT!

I'll be back to get on with our tour, going to go out and grocery shop right now - We took in a Padres/DBacks game - perfect day! We had 4th row seats at a Suns/Spurs game, thanks to the new boss We did some house hunting, and learned that investors are scooping things up so fast and driving the prices up enough that we will probably just look at new construction - so that decision is yet to be made. Had a great week though. Hope yours was as well! See you Real Soon!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:14 AM   #58
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi everyone! I'm back from a week of wonderful glorious sunshine to find us driving home in a snowstorm. I will be so glad to be living where it's warm - okay HOT!

I'll be back to get on with our tour, going to go out and grocery shop right now - We took in a Padres/DBacks game - perfect day! We had 4th row seats at a Suns/Spurs game, thanks to the new boss We did some house hunting, and learned that investors are scooping things up so fast and driving the prices up enough that we will probably just look at new construction - so that decision is yet to be made. Had a great week though. Hope yours was as well! See you Real Soon!
Welcome back, Tammie!
A week of sunshine and coming home to a snowstorm yikes - but sounds familiar!
Sorry about the house hunting, but I guess there will be just what you want in the future for you! And why not build from scratch and have exactly what you are looking for? Sounds good to me!
Can't wait for you to fill us in on the rest!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Old 04-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #59
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Welcome back, Tammie!
A week of sunshine and coming home to a snowstorm yikes - but sounds familiar!
Sorry about the house hunting, but I guess there will be just what you want in the future for you! And why not build from scratch and have exactly what you are looking for? Sounds good to me!
Can't wait for you to fill us in on the rest!
Oh Karin! I guess you would understand about the sun to snow thing in a big way! I think things will warm up a bit for us next week.

Yes, I'm getting excited about the prospect of building, but then if the right deal on a house already done comes along - who knows?
Old 04-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #60
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Buckets!

Well, where were we? Oh, tasting that Mai Tai and feeling the Island inhabited by tiny Hobbits driving caboosies to the shopette.

We made it back to our hotel through the rain - the traffic had let up so it only took about 20 min to get back.

With Hawaii being 2 hrs behind us on that day, I woke up at 3:45 am the next day - wide awake. That did not make me happy - I like to sleep in on vacation, and Jim even had 2 hr later starts in Hawaii than here. I finally got up and had a cup of coffee while watching the overnight news. (first time to use that smiley)

Much later when Jim had left and the sun started coming up, I joined my friends out on the balcony and watched the base wake up -

complete with the Star Spangled Banner, which plays every morning at 8am, along with Revele. At that time, anyone outside must stop walking and talking - if you are in uniform, you must stand at attention. If you are driving, you must stop your car. Since I was in my jammies, I just snuck back inside

I sat outside with my nook and my coffee, enjoying the warm air and the flower smells

Then it clouded over and started to rain.

Eventually, Michelle called and asked if I wanted to go to the comissary, which would be the grocery store and to the BX,(Base Exchange) which would be the everything else store to AF folk. Shopping at a discount - need you ask?

We headed off with GPS in tow and found the store complex just off base along the freeway. It was the largest I had seen! Our thought was just to check out the store, buy a few groceries for the week, and be back about noon - invite one of the other wives to go to lunch. Ha! This turned in to an all day event!

The NEX (Navy Exchange) was a large 2 story store with a food court and fun vendors selling all kinds of hand crafts and souvies, as well as all of the clothes, jewelry, shoes, designer handbags, sundries, electronics, furniture, etc. you could think of. We were in shopping deprived heaven!!! (you have to understand - we have 4 stores here - Ross, WalMart, KMart and Fred Meyer - like an upscale Walmart) There was a huge souvie area inside, so I loaded up on gifts for everyone on my list and picked up a few clothing items, as well as a mother of pearl flip flop pendant. They call flip flop slippers in Hawaii.

During all this time, the rain was pouring down! We saw a little break in the rain and ventured outside to a tent where they were selling Hawaiin plate lunch - pulled pork with Hui Hui sauce, macaroni salad, sticky rice, and tossed salad. Yum! We wiped off the seats at the picnic table, and began eating. Just then it started raining. We tried to huddle under the umbrella, but finally gave up and ran inside to eat in the food court.

We finished our shopping and made our way outside. It was raining so hard you could only see about 10 feet in front of you. We ducked into the MWR tour office (MORALE, WELFARE AND RECREATION) to inquire about luaus in the area, and to ask about where to meet our tour on Thursday. We came out and the rain had let up just a tad, so we decided to make a run for the car. As we took about 10 steps, the heavens opened up, and it was just like someone dumped a huge bucket of water over our heads - not just stepping into the shower with your clothes on, but BUCKETS!!! The water was up over our ankles by the time we reached the car 100 ft away.

We got a call from "the boys" - flying was over for the day, so they would be home soon. We decided to get back and see what we could plan for the evening.

NEXT: Kidnapping

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: