Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #16
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

DD starts at her only choice this Fall. I can't believe it and am so excited for her, where did the time go?

It is 10 mins from my house (good thing we moved 3 years ago--it was only 3 mins. then! lol) She is going to live there or at least see if she likes it.

She got a Presidential Scholarship (yay! Our homeschooling did not kill her! lol) but that is not a full ride here anymore. Years ago, it was but not in these economic times, I guess. She has applied for a few more scholarships so we'll see--one is a 10,000 one (renewable) that would really, really help.

She is there for 2 classes 4 days a week right now doing dual credit and has loved it! So far, so good. This kid has waited for college since 2nd grade so I hope it lives up to her expectations.

The cost gives me stomach aches...

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #17
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvazul View Post
Our son has known since he was 6 that he would need to be 100% responsible for his college education. I am not sure how he will pay for it. I really tried to talk him into MSM, but his heart is set on Purdue. So, he will need to get loans. Not exactly sure how that is going to work.

Michelle
You know what stinks about that....and this is just something that occurred to me as we go through the FAFSA process.... When you apply for financial aid, it is the PARENTS' income that is taken into consideration, whether the parents intend to pay or not. That's a real bummer for students whose parents don't plan to help. Perhaps the parents make plenty and are not eligible for aid. The student, on the other hand, probably makes very little and would (should) indeed be eligible for aid.

I'm not giving you a hard time. Your plan was the same as we basically had for our son. But it seems like there is a gap there that makes the financial aid eligibility requirements really unfair for kids whose parents can pay (kind of) but won't.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on any of that, I don't profess to be an expert on this at ALL!
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #18
mvazul
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckay87 View Post
Son graduated in '11, but just decided on college for this coming fall. Decided a grocery store was not his career of choice. He wasn't the greatest student, so I'm glad he took the time to find something he really is passionate about. Will be going to a technical college (Penn Tech) for aviation maintenance and is very excited. It's a division of Penn State, so we have some money scraping to do, to say the least.
Small world - I grew up in Canton, just 40 miles north of Penn Tech. I have a cousin there right now and a few others who have graduated from there. I decided after 19 years, it was the for me to go to college (I went back in 2009). I had looked at Penn Tech, but decided on Mansfield. Penn State Main is less expensive than Tech. Mansfield was half of Tech.

Now, I am enrolled in The Art Institute of Pittsburgh (on-line), because we moved to florida in December. I can't find a good, quality Graphic Design school here for anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurgswife View Post
I'm sure that your aware that he will only be able to secure about $5500 in loans by himself and everything else will be co-signed by you or some other adult in his life.

My oldest went this route. It was definitely nerve wracking to take on so much in loans. She is getting ready to graduate and find a job but the loan looms much larger in her eye now then it did 3 years ago.

Good luck to your son.

My son applied to 6 schools total. 4 audition schools (theater), one long shot (ivy league but it would have been free due to our EFC) and one academic/financial safety.

He got into all for audition schools and now we are just comparing FA packets...
Quote:
You know what stinks about that....and this is just something that occurred to me as we go through the FAFSA process.... When you apply for financial aid, it is the PARENTS' income that is taken into consideration, whether the parents intend to pay or not. That's a real bummer for students whose parents don't plan to help. Perhaps the parents make plenty and are not eligible for aid. The student, on the other hand, probably makes very little and would (should) indeed be eligible for aid.

I'm not giving you a hard time. Your plan was the same as we basically had for our son. But it seems like there is a gap there that makes the financial aid eligibility requirements really unfair for kids whose parents can pay (kind of) but won't.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on any of that, I don't profess to be an expert on this at ALL!
I'm really not sure how we're going to handle this. As I have said, I am in college, too. I have my own to pay for. Plus, we have put out a TON of money in attorney's fees due to 14 years of my ex's crap and pulling me back into court for every whim (wanted full custody - judge laughed at him, kidnapped my son, beat the crap out of him, had to get a restraining order, etc.). Any money we would have had for college is gone. Paid to attorneys. That was something we had to do. It can't be undone.

However, even if we did have the money, we would still hold him financially responsible. I have seen the results of kids having everything paid for and they don't appreciate it. He will need to work for it and figure it out. We had a long talk this weekend and told him Purdue may not be in the cards for him this year. He may need to take a year off, or look at Mount St. Mary's, or join the military (I'm hoping he doesn't have to resort to this).

By lowering standards and making it easier for everyone to get into college, the costs have skyrocketed. I had loans before the government got involved. Now all of my student loans are federal. I will leave it at that, so I don't receive points for getting political. What I can say is by the government sticking their noses in, they have created a mess.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #19
BrerMom

My hero, zero

DS only applied to one college and was accepted. He even was chosen to be in the specialty major he wanted (less than 15 students accepted per year). I think it will be a good fit for him.

We will be joining the ranks of families that have two in college. It will be interesting to see what kind of financial aid package we get - and by that, I am hoping that we make enough to qualify for the loans they both will need.

Everybody's got the right to be different even though at times they go to extremes.
Aim for what you want a lot - Everybody gets a shot. Everybody's got a right to their dreams...

Everybody's got the right to some sunshine Not the sun but maybe one of its beams. One of its beams.
Rich man, poor man, black or white, pick your apple, take a bite,
Everybody just hold tight to your dreams. Everybody's got the right to their dreams...
BrerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #20
Nickimouse
I wish I could be Patrick Stewart's "Number One!"
Ask me what word freaks me out!
"What the heck is Snows-hoe?"

My son will be going to Lamar University here in Texas and it's only an hour or so away so I'm happy about that!
He will be a mechanical engineering major and the class size is great for such a tough major.

He plans to be a member of the marching band as a trumpet player, and on a college day in the fall got to sit in with their jazz band. He said he felt like he fit right in! After his first semester as a marching band member he will get a small scholarship. His private lesson instructor highly suggested he audition for more musical scholarships so fingers crossed for that!

My oldest has one more year so at least only one year of 2 in college.
Right before I logged on here we were filling out his housing/food plan application. ugh,it's all too real. My last child leaving is hitting me hard!

1980 & 1996 Contemporary-1997 Shades of Green-2001 All-Star Movies-2002 Wilderness Lodge-2004 AKL-2005 Fort Wilderness-2006 All-Star Movies (With the Band)-2007 Fort Wilderness- 2007 POFQ-2010POFQ 2013-Fort Wilderness

Last edited by Nickimouse; 04-02-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Nickimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #21
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

I have to say that there are plenty of kids who don't pay for their own educations and nevertheless take college seriously and do just fine. We expected our kids to come up with their own recreation money, but they knew tuition was taken care of.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #22
ctinct
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The reason they take the parents' income into consideration is simple: if fiancial aid was based just on the student's income, very few kids would be able to afford school. Schools do not have enough money to fund kids based on their incomes alone. Even if some schools could do that, it would lead to parents just saying, "Well, then, I'm not helping", whether they could afford to or not.

It does stink for those students whose parents truly refuse to help, though. Thank goodness community colleges are relatively affordable.

I understand, though, that the feds and colleges have to draw the line somewhere. Hey, I don't think it is fair that FAFSA considers a step-parent's income, either. Someone can marry a new spouse and BOOM---they are suddenly responsible for a non-biological child's college education.

Another thing that stinks---most CSS Profile schools expect the non-custodial parent in a divorced family to contribute. (FAFSA-only schools do not. FAFSA only schools are great for when a non-custodial parent wants to willingly contribute. That income is not considered in the aid calculation ) Profile is ok for those that will pitch in, but in our case, my ex will not give a dime, so my dd had to concentrate on schools that use FAFSA only.

And to reiterate what a pp has said----students are very limited in the amounts of loans thay can take. The first year, I believe the Stafford loan limit is $5500. Subsequent years, the limit increases---I think the cap is about $7500 or so per year. The student may be eligible for a small Perkins loan, but I think that is dependent on the family having a lower income (not certain on that, though). Think about it---who is going to loan a kid with no job the equivalent of a small mortgage? And, would you even want your child graduating from college with that much debt to weigh them down?
ctinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #23
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

I see all the different sides of all this money crap. I think there is a lot unfair about the whole process.

My DH is also going to school, paying tuition, and on the FASFA, that doesn't matter, only siblings. Anyway, it seems like there's a lot about paying for college that gets my dander up.

Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #24
Boston Tea Party
Truth is truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiVM View Post
My oldest was accepted into Univ. of North Texas late last year and since that was his dream school, he didn't apply elsewhere. He auditioned for acceptance in College of Music in February and was accepted!! Dorm deposit in and now just waiting for scholarship information...FAFSA completed almost 2 months ago. His worries are over now and mine have just begun ($$$).
Go Mean Green!
You never ever left my side ~ Make it like it was before
Even if it takes a life time, takes a life time ~

~Next Dole Whip… 7/13-7/18 USC Trojan Style! ~
Boston Tea Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #25
mvazul
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11 View Post
I see all the different sides of all this money crap. I think there is a lot unfair about the whole process.

My DH is also going to school, paying tuition, and on the FASFA, that doesn't matter, only siblings. Anyway, it seems like there's a lot about paying for college that gets my dander up.
Agreed
Old 04-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #26
KDIPIAZZ
Mouseketeer

My son applied and was accepted at Va Tech, Penn State, WVU and the South Dakota School of Mines. Other options were the Colorado School of Mines (WAY too much $$) and NM School of Mines (he didn't think he'd enjoy the climate) After campus visits, he decided on SDSMT and we just finished the housing and orientation applications. I'm still not quite sure how I am going to handle him being 1400 miles away, but i'm sure he's going to love it.
KDIPIAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #27
Kim♥DISNEY
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Son graduated in '11, but just decided on college for this coming fall. Decided a grocery store was not his career of choice. He wasn't the greatest student, so I'm glad he took the time to find something he really is passionate about. Will be going to a technical college (Penn Tech) for aviation maintenance and is very excited. It's a division of Penn State, so we have some money scraping to do, to say the least.
Our friend's son is going to this school next fall. It is a great school!

Our son got accepted to 6 out of the 9 school he applied to. He got accepted to UVA, Case Western, Cornell, University of Rochester, Pitt and Penn State. We are planning on helping him out for school, however, he has known the set amount of money we are planning to pay for him. This amount along with the scholarships/loans he can take out does not cover all the costs for him to attend Cornell (which is where he wants to go ). He was admitted to PSU's Honor's college and is capable of attending and graduating with a very small amount of loans. So, we have some big decisions to make in the next few weeks. We are going to see PSU's Honor's college on Friday and hoping they convince him that this is the place for him ... wish us luck!!!
Old 04-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #28
Patience
DIS Veteran

Our daughter will be attending an in- state university in the fall. We submitted a FAFSA but are not expecting to receive anything other than the unsubsidized Stafford loan which we do not intend to accept. We really only submitted the FAFSA "just in case". The cost to attend is pretty reasonable in my opinion since it will be in-state tuition. The university is about two and a half hours away from where we live. I am excited for her and think the school is a great fit. They have a really good undergraduate program for what she wants to study and then she will need a masters degree.

Edited to add that we are waiting to hear from three scholarships she has applied for.

Last edited by Patience; 01-08-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #29
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

My oldest is heading into the engineering school he hoped to. We homeschooled also. He received a scholarship that covers all but books and fees so we are thrilled.
Granny square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #30
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurgswife View Post
I'm sure that your aware that he will only be able to secure about $5500 in loans by himself and everything else will be co-signed by you or some other adult in his life.

My oldest went this route. It was definitely nerve wracking to take on so much in loans. She is getting ready to graduate and find a job but the loan looms much larger in her eye now then it did 3 years ago.

Good luck to your son.

My son applied to 6 schools total. 4 audition schools (theater), one long shot (ivy league but it would have been free due to our EFC) and one academic/financial safety.

He got into all for audition schools and now we are just comparing FA packets...
We're in that same boat. Dd did get the $5500 in Direct loans..and will continue to get those at the highest limit for the next four years. And she did get some scholarship money, but it's a drop in the bucket. If she can get her gpa up higher in college, then the scholarship money increases.....so, that's up to her.
We are prepared to put a set amount (basically our tax refund) in each year. After that, it's going to be dd that gets all the loan money...that will leave her with huge student loan debt when she gets out of school!!! Her uncle is going to cosign for her. Then, hopefully, when we finally sell our house, in a few years, we'll have money to put against that loan debt for her. As well as taking over a good chunk of it when she graduates. But we just don't have the ability to completely fund each years costs...that comes to about $30,000 a year!!

Yes, she could have gone to a state school, and she would have had much less debt, but it just didn't feel 'right' to her. So, we bit the bullet and we'll figure out a way to make it all happen. But, like I said before....my WDW trips are on hold for the foreseeable future. I'll be renting out DVC points all over the place!!!! Sure will make that next trip so much nicer I guess. But, the kid's college has to come first. We had our fun over the years. Now, it's payback time......
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: