Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #196
dramaqueenemj22
Mouseketeer

I just caught up on this TR and read your last one which was very interesting. So, I'm joining in for this one too! Can't wait to read more about your trip.
dramaqueenemj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #197
Mom2apirate&princess
Mouseketeer

I'm so glad you are doing a DL report!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #198
Timon

DIS Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3]

Here is a great map my fellow TA Cass turned me onto which helped greatly in me getting a feel for the place before we arrived: http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=33.806...20pier%20hotel
Glad the map helped Brook!

LOVE all the palm trees and the pics of Henry jumping on the bed are awesome!!
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #199
Timon

DIS Junkie

Love this pic! You can tell how excited Henry is with his little pointy finger
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #200
Flg8tr97
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post

Ok. Stop me if I'm wrong. Cup 1 was 100% full of coffee. Cup 2 was 50% full of coffee. Couldn't you have just poured 25% from cup 1 into cup 2 and had 2 cups that were 75% full of coffee. That would leave room for your sugar, cream, etc? Maybe I'm looking too deep into this...

Love the update Brook!!

WL on Steroids!! but WOW does the GC look beautiful!! We plan on going out to Hawaii with the boys in a few years and plan to make a 2 day pit top at DL and I so want to stay there. The location can't be beat!

bummer about the turnstile... seriously!

I have never been to DL but wow does it look so "little" But I can't wait to go out and visit it!

as usual, your report is fabulous! I feel like I am there with you!

Flg8tr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #201
Belle83
DIS Veteran

I am loving your trip report! Makes me miss Disneyland, it's been far too long since I've been to DL.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #202
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Well, since I missed the last update to your DW TR, I'm not surprised I had no idea this was going on.

Mark has landed safely in Vegas and I have six days to myself. I'll come back later to catch up.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #203
micandminforever
DIS Veteran

I know I am almost a month late, but I am finally here. I need to go back and read.
One day trips with Family 1972,1973, 1976, Honeymoon off site June 1985, Off site June 1986, Off site June 1989, Grand Floridian June 1992, Wilderness Lodge June 1995, Dixie Landing(POR) April 1997, Hilton at Downtown Disney April 2000, Beach Club June 2003, POFQ June 2005, Pop Century Dec. 2005, Pop Century Jan. 2006, Pop Century Sept. 2007, POFQ Jan. 2009, Pop Century Sept 2009, BLT 25th Anniversary Trip June 2010, CBR March 2011, PORS Sept. 2012, Pop Century Jan. 2013
micandminforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #204
photographymom517
DIS Veteran

Oh Brook!!! How on earth did I miss this report?!

I just realized a few days ago that you started a DL report & just now had the time to read it!

I stayed up last night with the intention of getting to your report, but I ended up catching up on Jen's Universal one until 2am! (Figured I better catch up on hers before she leaves in 3 days! )

Going back to read now!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #205
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Anyone still here???! I'm so sorry it's been almost a month. March was VERY busy with pretty much zero free time! April is looking to be much, much calmer and I am SO ready to share the magic of Disneyland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc View Post
Great update! I will get there someday. Way to go making it to rope drop .
We struggle so much to make it to RD at WDW, it was a thrill actually making it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I'm so glad that you ended up taking the long way to Disneyland because we (and you) got to see the Grand Californian. It does look like the Wilderness Lodge on steroids! So very beautiful!

As I looked through the pictures, I found myself comparing everything to WDW. They look alike yet they don't.

It seems like your day is off to a fantastic start!
We were pretty pleased with our scenic tour too! And, don't worry, more pictures of the GC coming up later in the report! It's truly beautiful - such a nice resort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysdisneymom View Post
Getting caught up on all my trips!

Whew, 5 hours in a plane! We are flying to San Francisco this summer and I really dread it. Sound like Henry was a trooper!

Love the pictures of PP and especially Henry jumping on the bed!! Too cute.

How odd that rope drop is so different between the parks.

I had no idea DL had a Pinnochio ride. I am already learning a lot from your trip.

I might like Astro Orbitor at DL. The height plus speed makes it one of my least favorites at WDW.

Can't wait to read more!
The Park Opening was completely different! I expected some sort of show, but it really is nothing. I suppose it's because it's a "locals" park - or maybe they do something that I don't know about on regular mornings, but not on Magic Mornings?

I think the DLR Astro Orbiter still has the speed like WDW's, but being on the ground might still help for you!! It might make it seems slower too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell60 View Post
I love your comment "The Wilderness Lodge on Steroids" ....

This is really helpful - it has been awhile since I was in Disneyland - and of course there was not DTD or CA then. Really makes we want to go! Paradise Pier looks a lot nicer than I imagined too - so maybe a split stay, because it has always been my dream to stay at the Disneyland Hotel!
It's true! The Wilderness Lodge is STUNNING, but the Grand Californian is AMAZING! We really loved it, and thankfully that is where DVC is, so we'll get to stay there again!

The Paradise Pier is VERY nice. It was Henry's favorite, he still talks about it! If you can get a room discount there when you go, it makes the price tag a bit more bearable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Grand Californian Hotel is just lovely. I loved how connected everything is and what a great walk to the parks. I also love are the parks are right across from each other.

The MK is so beautiful. Very similar, yet different as well. Very cool that Star Tours is in the park.

The castle and main street are so magical. I hope I get a chance to visit one of these days.
We loved those aspects of DLR too. It was so nice just walking right out and being there - no bus to deal with, the monorail is a RIDE basically instead of a mode of getting from here to there. It's so much easier. You don't even have to walk through bag check when you park hop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedby3 View Post
Wow Brook! I have been soaking up every word and picture you posted Everything looks like so much fun! All the buildings look so much smaller than the ones at WDW...even the castle looks small. Thanks so much for all those pictures. I love walking through the park with you guys I didnt realize they have Mr. Toads Wild Ride. That was a must do when I was growing up in FL in the '70's. My friends and I loved it then I cant wait to read more
The buildings and castle are much smaller - everything is just on a smaller scale, so it's the same feeling...but a bit different. The castle is teeny compared to Cinderella's set up so high! I do believe the DLR Mr. Toad's is the same as WDW's old one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3babes View Post
Oh wow, it's the same but it's different. So neat Brook! I haven't had much interest in Disneyland honestly but your pictures are changing that. Great, great update!!
I have nothing but RAVE reviews of DLR, seriously - we had a fantastic time. I can't wait to share more of it! Perhaps you'll find yourself booking at trip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post
I haven't been to Disneyland since 1988.....everything looks so tiny compared to WDW... BUT, I do remember that everything seemed much more detailed (like Animal Kingdom is) at Disneyland vs Magic Kingdom.

(If you haven't already thought of it) I travel with glow sticks on ribbons for the kids. They get one during the day so when we end up in a dark part of a ride or show they have their little light. It's just enough to light up my face or their seat area and comfort them. I put a caribeaner (sp?) on the ribbon so they can attach it to their belt loop or the stroller between rides
It really is small compared to WDW's Main Street, just so compact! I can see why Walt wanted more land. It evokes a slightly different feel. I like how WDW's lands are more spread out, and you transition from one to another a bit more smoothly.

LOVE your glow stick idea! Henry had NEVER been scared of the dark rides until this trip, so this was far from my mind - but I'm stealing this idea for our next trip, just in case!!! EXCELLENT idea Heidi! You seriously have the best ideas woman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
Love the pic of you flying on Dumbo!
I get really into it! They are just spinner rides, but those type are some of my favorite!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #206
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Still here and impatiently waiting for teh next installment

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #207
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan61 View Post
Yay Brook made it to rope drop!! And then the gate would not work??
Too funny!!

Wow it does look just like WDW when you first walk in.

I am enjoying seeing all the DL differences.
Isn't it just typical?! The first time I get to see MK's morning show, they don't do the song and dance. My first RD at DLR and the turnstile doesn't work! Figures!!!

It really does look very similar to WDW at first...but VERY different as we get deeper into the park!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
Holy Updates Batwoman! I have the family looking over my shoulder and enjoying this!

The GC is HUGE! I like the theming, I like the WL, and would love to stay there someday.

Please no one hurt me, but we here all agree that the castle in DL doesn't seem as impressive as the castle in WDW.

It' neat to see all the similarities and differences between DL & WDW.

Too bad Henry got leery of the dark rides, hopefully he'll change his mind again!
How fun that everyone is reading along!!!! I hope they enjoy the peek into it all more as I go on!

The Castle really isn't as impressive - it's smaller scale plus is right on the ground instead of up high. I DO like that it's just easy to walk right through it, and it's still very pretty....but it's not quite as majestic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfinjuls View Post
I am loving all of your detail! Awesome updates!
Thank you! I really want to be sure to include detail here since I know many of my readers have never been!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keys1388 View Post
I'm loooooving this trip report so far! Believe it or not, I've never been in PP or GC, so I enjoyed looking at the pictures of those hotels! I just think the Fantasylands of the DL and WDW can't even compare. Disneyland's version is so beautiful and un-concrete looking. Those tracks in Tomorrowland used to be a ride called Rocket Rods. I have some fabulous pictures of 15 year old me waiting in line to ride them, and I remember the ride kept breaking down.
I'll have more of the hotels too as our trip goes on! Have you seen the new DLH rooms? They are beautiful!!!!

Disneyland's Fantasyland is charming and quaint. We really liked it! (and we loved NOS!) Since we were a bit disoriented/distracted when walking through it, trying to find our way, I can't picture it as a whole in my head, so hopefully when we return I'll get a better overall feel of it too.

Oh! I remember reading about Rocket Rods!!! It wasn't around for very long, was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
I am enjoying your report so very very much. It is bringing back some very fond memories... I am conflicted by them. Some like the fact that dumbo has water makes me nostalgic. Some though, like the size of the castle and how it doesn't sit so prominent in the skyline of the park.. make me remember why I have been choosing to go to WDW. Still, it is nice seeing those familiar places that made me fall in love with Disney as an adult.

And... dtd. It is a slightly different beast there in DL. I do like that the hotels are right there. No need to bus all around.
I like the castle at DLR for different reasons than MK's - there are pros and cons to both. I think the Dumbo at MK is going to be awesome from the pictures I have seen. Can't wait to see them both going with the circus tent in full swing too!

We LOVED that we coud walk through DTD and straight to the parks! It was nice having all the DTD options right there, but the Quick Service locations need to have more seating for the busy weekend nights. More on that later in the trip report though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
Thanks for explaining the layout... It's clear to me now.

Ok. Stop me if I'm wrong. Cup 1 was 100% full of coffee. Cup 2 was 50% full of coffee. Couldn't you have just poured 25% from cup 1 into cup 2 and had 2 cups that were 75% full of coffee. That would leave room for your sugar, cream, etc? Maybe I'm looking too deep into this...

You guys had a great view from your room.... I love the palm trees too!

The GC looks absolutely amazing!

WTG being at the gates!!! Boo to your gate not opening!

I feel like I know Main St. pretty good from playing Epic Mickey!

That castle doesn't give the 'wow' factor as Cinderella's castle does in MK. It looks so tiny.

I love all your pictures (as always!)

How funny how Henry changed in a few months.. maybe he thought they were different because you weren't in WDW? I've been trying to talk Juliana into riding TOT in November... so far I've been unsuccessful.
Tim, that woud be LOGICAL with the coffee! As soon as I told Joe about the coffee situation, he just suggested we go out for some. It was just an excuse to get a fancy coffee though, I know his tactics!

Oooh, Epic Mickey! I forgot about that game. I'll have to check it out sometime, maybe it will help me missing DLR so much.

The castle definitely isn't as awe inspiring. It wasn't until we got home that I realized I didn't have many pictures of it - where as in WDW I can't help but take 48,000 pictures of it despite my 2.4 million already taken on previous trips. The castle is nice, and I enjoy just walking through it and no stage on the front..but....it's not nearly as majestic.

Do you think you'll convince Juliana? You've got a few months, keep trying!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 03-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #208
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWifey185 View Post
Ohh gosh, awesome updates!! I miss it soooo much and I can't wait for our weekend trip at the end of this month. I love all of the pictures you include. And no tomatoes coming from me, I'm not a fan of Mr. Toad either. Oh and wowww inside the GCH is absolutely gorgeous.. I may be hooked. But then again I love the beach feel of the PPH. And if we stay there we could definitely afford a park view. Haha decisions decisions!! I can NOT wait to read more, get on it missy!
Well, its almost the weekend and the end of the month, so that means you are at Disneyland right now (or will be soon)!!!!!!! I hope you have a magical time!

Did you try the GC? It's a tough call with the view since at the Paradise Pier Theme Park View you can watch WoC from your room! I think you need two trips to try them both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claryche View Post
The last time I was at Disneyland was in 1996, and now looking at your pics, I totally don't remember it. I guess it's because of the 7 trips to Disney World since then are clouding my memory. It's amazing how different and how similar they are at the same time. You should do a blog and compare ride to ride at both locations. And other things. It would be great information for your friends and also your clients. And you always take the best pics and best notes, that I'm sure the blog would be awesome.

The trip report is great so far. Keep it coming.
Cindy, that is a FANTASTIC idea for a blog! I just might do that!! We got to almost everything that is either only in DLR, or just different from WDW's. The Haunted Mansion was under refurb, and it was too chilly to ride Splash, so I *think* those are the only two we missed. :scrtachin

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydinosaur03 View Post
Hi Brook,

I've been following your other travel report and followed you over here to read the Disneyland report. Loved this update so much I had to come out of lurkdom!

I was at DL in 1982 at age 5, so of course I remember almost nothing of it! Waiting for something to jog my memory. We have like 2 photos from that trip.

We live on the East Coast, so our family goes to DW; would LOVE to take them to DL some day.

Great update!
So glad you posted, it's good to "meet" you!!! We got super cheap flights from JFK that spurred the whole trip, so watch for deals and maybe you'll find yourself booking a DLR trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Yay for Rope Drop! I agree that the buildings look smaller. But I love all the trees.

Alex LOVED Tower of Terror when he was littler but then got scared of it... I think they realize that there is something to be scared of. I hope Henry made out OK with the rest of the rides.
The trees were sooooo pretty. I have seen older pictures of MK with the trees, and I understand why they took them out, but it really does add something when they are there.

I am hoping Henry is over the fear for our possible 1-day trip in June and our week trip in October. He might be brave by October because he'll have friends along...we'll see! I'm taking Heidi's suggestion of a glow stick on a ribbon though, just in case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkgirl View Post
Thank you for the link to the map! I've never been and am totally confused by the closeness and smallness of the area! Well done for making Rope Drop - am I being dense or does the park not open until 10am? After WDW it all seems really small but there also seems to be so much of it waiting to see if it is going to get croweded.
Your welcome! That map helped me a ton when planning for the trip. It is strange that everything is so compact when you are used to WDW. It all didn't make total sense to me unti we got there and I could experience it.

Yes, I do think the park openend at 10 AM for the regular public - it was the off season. During higher peak times it opens earlier. 10 AM is perfect for us though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
Could they have made that castle any smaller It looks tiny compared to the WDW one.
Henry made a comment about it being so small too! It really is tiny compared to Cindy's. Cindy's looks even bigger being on the hill like it is too! It was nice to just walk right through though, we enjoyed that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woth2982 View Post
Oh I am having twangs of longing for the west coast. I love being on East Coast time in LA, I went to Goofy's kitchen on my own last year and was able to be a walk up because I was up so early!
Funny you say that...we didn't do Goofy's, but we did do PCH one morning! It was fantastic being on east coast time though, a HUGE perk for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreightonsMomma View Post
You have me cracking up at this last update!! You made it to rope drop!!!

Loved the update. I hope Henry isn't afraid of the dark rides for the whole trip and he gives them a try! Glad you were able to ride them, though.
I know! Miracles DO happen, right?!?! Trust me, I was totally impressed with us! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayhomemom77 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Since you knew you'd be getting more coffee anyway...why not have 3/4 cup each and then refuel later on in the travels? Then again, I don't drink coffee...maybe 3/4 cup wasn't going to be enough for you?

My kids are THRILLED with your DTD pics! I can always count on MeMom and Brook to take pics of things other people don't.

Can't wait for more!
I'm a huuuuuge coffee drinker. 3/4 cup is no way enough for me. I drank all that the little machine put out, plus the cup we bought. Joe just wanted an excuse to buy a fancy coffee.

Glad you are all enjoying the pics! I tried really hard to capture the overall feel of the parks and DTD. More DTD pictures too as the report goes on, we were there everyday!
Old 03-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #209
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketkat View Post
You guys and your coffee!

Yay for making rope drop!!!

I love hearing how some of the rides are the same, and some are so different. I can't wait to see for ourselves!
Must have coffee! Especially me after having hardly any sleep.

It was really fun to experience the same rides in a different way and compare them. It was like seeing it all again for the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Holy cannoli mother of updates! That was a smashing lot of pictures!

Couple of comments.

Wilderness Lodge on Steriods. Yep, that's about right!

Mr. Toad just ok? I won't flame you. I'm sure if I went on it now and had never been before I'd probably feel the same but it has a huge spot in my heart as one of my first rides ever (that I remember anyway).

Peets inside HD huh? I'll have to remember that, we always get coffee at the bookstore and I didn't know about the Peets.

I'd probably like Astro Orbitor a LOT better on the ground. That is the one ride that totally freaks me out.

You have me really really wanting to go on Pinocchio!
We took a TON of pictures this trip, get ready for BIG updates!

I know, I WANTED to like Mr. Toad because of his reputation! Perhaps I just had my standards too high?

We did coffee at the bookstore later in the trip. LOL But yep, they have it at HD. Pretty good stuff.

I couldn't believe Pinocchio put me in tears! I don't think a ride has ever done that before, and I'm not some huge Pinocchio fan either - it's a great flick, but it's not a big favorite or anything! It's just such a well-done ride, totally impressive. Hopefully next time we are there, I can convince Henry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSL View Post
Joining in! DH and I are planning a trip to DL without the kiddos (gasp!) in July for our anniversary and reading this is great! We're DVC owners at WDW and have been there quite often but have no experience with DL. I was there for one day when I was about 13 and hardly remember it; DH has never been. So reading this TR is perfect for giving us info and getting us excited for our trip! Looking forward to more!!
-KSL
:: Thanks for reading along! I hope my TR answers some of your questions. I had a TON before we went! Let me know if you do have any and I'll try to address them to the best of my ability. I think you'll love it though, just be prepared for CROWDS in July with it being summer plus Cars Land just opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
You know, I didn't get Mr Toad's ride either. It's dark (no pun intended) and for being in Fantasyland, I can see why they removed it from WDW.
Whew! Glad I'm not the only one! It has such a huge following, I was expecting something great...but it just fell short for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Wow! The Grand Californian is gorgeous on the inside! Love all that stained glass!

Hurray for making it to Rope Drop!

Poor Henry not liking the darkness of Peter Pan. I hope that gets better!

Okay, I will try not to say anything about you not being a huge fan of Mr. Toad. I am like Cynthia, since it is one of my earliest memories of Disney trips, I think I am biased.
It is such a stunning resort!!! We were in awe every time we walked through!

So many people love Mr. Toad, I know I'm in the minority! I will ride it again next time we go, with lower expectation, so perhaps I will like it more a second time around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Wow...mega updating! I love it though. The pictures are fabulous and you guys got some great angles of of the castle. I soaking up all this info...Hopefully a day will come when we can go there as well. I do dread the long flight though.
I'm trying to be as detailed as I can be, I know DLR is a complete mystery for so many people. I hope you get to go sometime! The flight is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nala1128 View Post
subscribing!!
::

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racemom17 View Post
I'm on board...loved your Disney World Trip report...can't wait to hear what you think of Disneyland...haven't been there yet...not sure if I can give up my Disney World love for a trip to California.
:: Thank you for following me over here! I think if you ever tried DLR you'd find it just as magical! They are completely different, yet are still wonderful places, there was very little that I missed, and I know going back to WDW I will miss some things at DLR.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #210
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
I am in .

GCV looks so great. I am getting so excited and my trip isn't for 6 months.

I am with Cynthia and Jackie. Mr Toad holds special memories. I remember riding it in WDW right before it closed and I was like Not quite how I rememebred it but that last scene makes me crack up every time.
You are going to love DLR! I wish I was going back in 6 months...sigh. I have been trying to keep an eye on cheap airfare because I know that would pretty much cinch the deal for a return trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gellybean View Post
I'm here and loving seeing Disneyland through a WDW addict's eyes

One of these days we'll make it there!

So glad y'all got to see how the other half of the country does Disney!!

Henry is lookin SO Big all of the sudden! Which is silly of me really. I see his pics on Facebook all the time, but man... when did our boys grow up!?

I've been reading your TRs since he was 1!! CRAZY!

Hope y'all had a wonderful time. Can't wait to read the rest of it.

I'm slowly finishing my Two TRs for one.... I'm determined to finish it before I start a PTR! Maybe that'll motivate me.

Big from our fam to yours!
I know! The boys have grown so quickly right before our eyes, haven't they??? Henry amazes me daily with how much he grows up.

It is CRAZY to think that our first trip was when he was 14 months old and that was my first "real" TR (I did most of our honeymoon, but never finished!). I can't wait to see YOUR kiddos at Disney again soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekkerdisneydreamer View Post
Wow!! Lots of wonderful pictures and my oh my, how things have changed since I was last there! I guess it's good and bad. I remember when Disneyland had an actual parking lot right in front of the park (where DCA is now).

Thank you for the shots of the GF!! I am taking a trip to California for a wedding, and staying in San Diego. I'm trying to convince my cousin that we need to go and stay there for a couple of nights. I told her I would take care of the room cost, being DVC members now.

I do remember Astro Orbiter being elevated. You had to take an elevator up just like you do in WDW. I truly hope we'll be able to go, but I'm wondering if it will still feel the same.

Yum, second breakfast!!!
You know, I was wondering where they got the land for DCA - that makes total sense! How crazy to have a parking lot in front of it...I can even imagine that now. Sure would be easy though.

Have you convinced your cousin? I hope so! You'd both LOVE it. It is beaaaaautiful. Hopefully next time we go we can stay more than just one night in the Villas too. DLR overall has a very different feel, but still completely magical! You won't be disappointed at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo818 View Post
You're visiting my happy place! I've lived on the West Coast for almost all my life and Disneyland is my "home" park.

I find the comments from the WDW folks funny...yes, DLR is quaint and much smaller than WDW's Magic Kingdom Park, but I like that more intimate feel. I like being able to walk from our hotel to either park (DL or DCA) in a few minutes, so we can take a break in the middle of the day easily. I agree that Cinderella's castle is more impressive, but I just love Sleeping Beauty's outline. Brings back happy memories. Plus, I love the fact that Walt Disney himself walked throughout Disneyland and had a hand in creating so many of the experiences we all love today.

I suppose if I'd been to WDW more than 3 times in my life (yeah, sad, huh?), I'd probably feel differently. Don't get me wrong, I love WDW and am looking forward to taking my family there someday (although I'm dreading the looooong flights from Oregon to Florida). My family just adores Disneyland and loves our trips there - I wish we could afford to go more than every couple of years, but the DIS keeps my Disney dreams alive between trips. I'm so happy that you're enjoying DLR!

I've loved reading all of your WDW trip reports as well - they're so detailed and have lots of gorgeous photos, and you have a beautiful family! Henry's just a doll.
We too loved that we could walk back to the hotel so easily. On our last night we even took a break for ONE hour. No way would that happen at WDW, only maybe if we were staying at the CR. It was great being able to easily park hop too. That is a huuuuuuge perk. On the last night we chatted about if we missed anything from WDW and the list was small. I know we will have that chat next trip to WDW too, things we miss from DLR! Both locations are amazing!

And thank you for your sweet comments about my family and Henry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claryche View Post
I haven't been to DL since 1996. But from what I'm seeing so far, I think I might would like it a little bit better than DW. Because of the size. Unfortunately I live in the south and therefore driving distance from FL and with airfare costs, DL is just not as accessible. But hoping to get my DS there soon. And it will be interesting to see which one he likes the best.
While having 4 different parks is fantastic, the ease of two parks, within walking distance, is attractive for us with little ones! The commute on the buses and such does get tiring and just adds to the day for our kids. It was so much easier to take a break too!

Henry likes both, somedays all he talks about is "Mickey Mouse's House California" and other times, it's Epcot. He calls all of WDW Epcot lately!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbobear View Post
I could have sworn that I subscribed to this when you started it..but then after a while without seeing any updates, I had to go searching, only to find that you have had several updates so far! So here I am, better late than never, and all caught up. It's really interesting to see how many things are the same and how many are so different!
Glad you are here! I have done the SAME thing. I think sometimes the subscription just doesn't work for some reason or another. Who knows. And you really haven't missed much yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyismyheart247 View Post
Looking so very forward to hearing about the rest of your trip!
And I hope to start sharing more on a regular basis now!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: