Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #391
Heather.Mohler
Mouseketeer

Thanks Maura!
March 1996 - off site, March 2007 - All Stars Movies and Sports and Port Orleans French Quarter, January 2008 - All Star Sports, January 2009 - Beach Club Concierge, April 2009 - Buena Vista Suites, October 2009 - Caribbean Beach for MNSSHP, December 2009 - All Star Sports for MVMCP, September 2010 - All Star Movies for MNSSHP, January 2011 - Pop Century, September 2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter for MNSSHP, January 2012 - Sheraton Suites for Florida Flute Convention Performance, October 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter for MNSSHP and MVMCP, January 2013 - Off Property for Florida Flute Convention Performance, October 2013 -
Heather.Mohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #392
mahipp
Mouseketeer

Hi, I'm new to the running threads, but not to the Disboards. I am doing my first 5K at Disney in September. It's part of my goal to lose weight and get in better shape. Looking forward to being part of this group. I'm a Florida resident and annual passholder and have been to Disney more times than I can count.
Maryanne
mahipp is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #393
mahipp
Mouseketeer

Oops, so excited to join, I posted twice! Can't remember how to delete a post! LOL
mahipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #394
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahipp View Post
Hi, I'm new to the running threads, but not to the Disboards. I am doing my first 5K at Disney in September. It's part of my goal to lose weight and get in better shape. Looking forward to being part of this group. I'm a Florida resident and annual passholder and have been to Disney more times than I can count.
Maryanne
Welcome! Good luck with you goals, you can do it!

Done: 2010 WDW Half, 2010 W&D Half, 2011 WDW Half, 2011 Princess Half, 2011 W&D Half, 2012 WDW Half, 2012 WDW Full Relay-1st Leg, 2013 WDW 5K/Goofy, 2013 DL 5K/Dumbo Double Dare/Coast to Coast
Doing: 2014 Dopey
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #395
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Maryanne Welcome to the group. Any questions on training or anything else we can answer?

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #396
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Ran 3 pain-free, albeit slow, miles today--my first in over two months. Working my way back slowly from my hip/groin issues. Plan to take April slowly--just building up with nice and easy miles.

Maura
Old 04-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #397
MouseDogMom
DIS Veteran

Maura - Does that mean you're not going to Boston? I'm guessing it would be difficult to do 26 if you're just getting back...

Maryanne - Welcome! I did my first 5K at Disney, back in 2006. We had to drive a little farther than you, but it was worth it. Word of warning: it's addicting!

Heather - Welcome!

Amanda - How's the knee?

I ran the NC Half last weekend at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. I suppose ran is stretching it... I completed the half with my 21 year old daughter (who had completed exactly ONE 3 mile training run in preparation), a friend who ran MCM with me last fall and has been out with a stress fracture since (and had run exactly NO miles in training), and a random woman who was running her first half marathon (and had run up to SEVEN miles in training.) I set a new PR - for the slowest time I've ever taken! But I had a blast. I hadn't seen the friend from MCM in months, so we got to catch up, and my daughter and the other woman dropped off about mile 8 or 9 and walked in together - we had them in sight until the last half mile so I never felt like we abandoned them completely. It was a good feeling to help all of them achieve their goals, and I needed a break from pushing hard through my last couple of races. I'd never been to the track, so I enjoyed seeing all the different tracks that encompass the complex. And the medal is AWESOME!

And in case anyone is keeping track, I said before MCM last year that it would be my LAST marathon. Since then, I've run 26.2 with Donna. I just registered for Richmond in November.

Jackie

MouseDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #398
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Jackie Glad you enjoyed your race. I didn't sign up for Boston (although I did have qualifying times) because back during signup I was still recovering from my neck issue. I wasn't sure that I would be able to run again. So good call on my part. I hope to qualify again one day.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #399
mahipp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
Maryanne Welcome to the group. Any questions on training or anything else we can answer?

Maura
Thanks Maura! Just thought of two questions:
  • Suggestions for stretches to do after walking
  • Interval timers - is there an app that would work with my Nike+ app?

Maryanne/MA
Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #400
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Maryanne I don't have any answers for the Nike+ question. As for stretches for post-walking, I defer to the walkers of the board. But if you feel any tightness when you stop walking, say in the hamstrings, quads, calves, then I would stretch those out. If you are running, then I would add in the IT band for sure.

Hers is a site that I have bookmarked when I want to learn more about muscles or how to stretch or strengthen them. It's pretty detailed (by muscle group or type), but I have found it useful.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Also, Runner's World is a good site for info. I do yoga, and they have posted info on yoga for runners. Here's one link:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...3300-0,00.html

Maura

Last edited by jmasgat; 04-05-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #401
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Welcome Maryanne. The site Maura just posted on stretching looks great. I stretch a lot after running and even bought a DVD for extra stretching.

Maura You have had quite a time since the Boston. I know you did great at the Chip and Dale, as I hold that over my son's head...almost beat by a 50+..keeps him working hard. Hope you are able to work out your injuries.

Jackie You were down in my neck of the woods...I forgot about that race. I should have come over a cheered you on. Glad you had fun.

AFM I'm lovin' my runnin'. I just go out (about twice a week) and run 6-9 miles and the weather has been beautiful (although the pollen is a little thick). I'm doing speed work once a week on a TM too. Plus my yoga, pilates or kettlebell DVD once a week. I hope to do a 10K next weekend and use that time if I need something fast for corral placement. Then in May I hope to run the Castaway Cay 5K. That would give me a race each month this year so I'm, thinking I should do something each month this year.

joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #402
mahipp
Mouseketeer

So excited! I did my first 5K walk/run today and I wasn't last! I even passed a few people!

I've NEVER done anything like this before. I was a fat kid, fat teen, fat adult - well, I still am a fat adult LOL - but I am trying to change that. I am signed up for the 5K at Disney in September. I've been worried about the mpm requirement. But, today I proved I could do it! And, I have almost 6 months to get faster!
Old 04-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #403
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Just back from vacation so I haven't checked in recently!
Thanks for the concern and suggestions for my knee. It seems totally better. I did 13.1 miles last weekend (training run for next weekend's half marathon) and felt fine. No lingering pain this week. I do think I need to cross-train more. I really believe my quads are weak and that's why I get calf muscle strain and then knee pain. My friend wants me to try spinning class with her so I might do that.
I'm taking today off because I have a terrible cold with lots of congestion. Hoping a rest day helps!

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #404
Happy Mom2
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself. After years of leading a very inactive life and being very overweight, I have decided to do something about it. To keep me motivated in my new healthy lifestyle, I've set my sights on the 2013 Princess Half. Reading all of your stories, bios, and posts is so inspirational. Thanks a bunch!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #405
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Joan Glad you are in a happy place with your running. May the (running) force be with you.

mahipp Awesome! COngrats on your achievement. I hope you celebrated.

Amanda Cycling is a great way to work on quads. Spinning is a good workout. If you decide to pursue, find yourself a pair of spin shoes. Don't have to be expensive, but it makes a big difference to be clipped in and using all of your leg power..

Happy Mom2 Welcome to the bunch. Congrats on taking the first steps--literally and figuratively! It takes a lot of strength to say your goal out loud. Good for you.

I am easing my way back in and so ran 4 miles this morning before coming back to watch Tom Boonen ride away from the field at Paris-Roubaix. He is having a great year--and he is so easy on the eyes to watch!

Happy Easter,all.

Maura

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: