Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #181
dizzi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiesark View Post
You can get milk or half & half. I brink a bag of the individual flavored creamers. SO much better (if that's what you are used to).
same
i brought the largest powdered flavored creamer i could find and i uised it all
Old 03-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #182
dizzi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
Newbie here ... can you skip the photos line and just go straight to dinner? We are not interested in getting photos this trip (except the ones we take!).

Yes u can skip the photo's< I just cant I am a photaaholic

I'm interested in this answer, too. We have 2 children, 3yo and 7you and there is no way they are going to last over an hour for dinner. We will need some other options.
If you have NEVER experienced the fifferent dining rooms and the fun things they do, Your time will go quickly. But you can also have the childrens food brought to you first and send them to the kids club when they are done eating >>>> someone from the kids club will come to the dining area at a set time each evening to pick up all the kids.

Also if it is just your family at the table, you could possible let your servr know you want a shortened version maybe get just the main course and desert.. or desert to go.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #183
Jaymepops
Mouseketeer

Great thread! Getting so many great ideas!!! Quick question.....a lot of folks have suggested not getting to the ports early. We have an 11:30am check in time. Should we arrive at the port about 11am? No earlier? I thought you could only arrive at the terminal and check-in walk on at your scheduled time. Do they just let whomever is there check-in and go on no matter their scheduled check in time? Sorry I know this is a little OT. Not having done a cruise yet, I sadly can't add to the do/don't list yet....
Disney's Caribbean Resort - January 2009 - First Disney Full Marathon - Team in Training - Go Team!
Disney's All-Star Movies - October 2010 - Disney's Inaugural Wine & Dine Half Marathon

Disney Fantasy - Our First Disney Cruise! May 2012

Check out our Fantasy Cruise VIDEO(s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhWCAuXnETs
Jaymepops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #184
dizzi
DIS Veteran

Jayme..sent you a Private Message about your ?s
Old 03-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #185
lisagirl88
Mouseketeer

If we ever cruise again(DH and DS1 are not fans):

Will do:
stay on ship on Nassau day
go to matinee viewing of the shows(made our night so much more relaxing, I wish they had matinee times for every show especially having young kids who can't stay up for the shows otherwise)
put toddlers and kids in nursery and clubs to enjoy some downtime.
try out the main restaurants for lunch

Won't do:
go to the main dining rooms every night(to stressful with 4 young kids)
have half of our party get the stomach flu while on board
get a verandah room(we didn't use it much)
lisagirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #186
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
If you have NEVER experienced the fifferent dining rooms and the fun things they do, Your time will go quickly. But you can also have the childrens food brought to you first and send them to the kids club when they are done eating >>>> someone from the kids club will come to the dining area at a set time each evening to pick up all the kids.

Also if it is just your family at the table, you could possible let your servr know you want a shortened version maybe get just the main course and desert.. or desert to go.
Thanks for the info. I think we'll do one night at the main table and then one night like you suggested and have them eat first and then go to the kids club...and then we'll play it by ear on the 3rd night.

Quote:
Jayme..sent you a Private Message about your ?s
As a newbie, I'd love to know the answers, too, to the questions above. I've heard people say to get there early to board and enjoy the ship and others say to not get there early b/c you'll just wait in line.

I'd love some advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisagirl88 View Post
Will do:
go to matinee viewing of the shows(made our night so much more relaxing, I wish they had matinee times for every show especially having young kids who can't stay up for the shows otherwise)
Oh, this is also a good idea ... I was thinking the same thing that my youngest won't be able to enjoy the show late at night b/c she'll fall asleep.
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #187
LoveStitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymepops View Post
Quick question.....a lot of folks have suggested not getting to the ports early. We have an 11:30am check in time. Should we arrive at the port about 11am? No earlier? I thought you could only arrive at the terminal and check-in walk on at your scheduled time. Do they just let whomever is there check-in and go on no matter their scheduled check in time? Sorry I know this is a little OT. Not having done a cruise yet, I sadly can't add to the do/don't list yet....
Add me to the people who would like to also hear the answers to this one!

LoveStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:04 AM   #188
mominva
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveStitch View Post
Add me to the people who would like to also hear the answers to this one!
For our cruise in August 2011, we got to the port at 11 AM. They won't let you park or go in before then. I don't remember what our boarding number was from online check in, but I think it was close to 10.

It could not have been easier. We had a rental car, and pulled up in front to drop our luggage - took about 1 minute - then we parked at the terminal. We walked in and got in the CC line. There was no line to speak of, and by the time we were done, they were boarding. There was no line at the kid's club desk, so I went ahead and registered my daughter, then we got on the ship.

My kids wore their bathing suit under their clothes, so we went straight up to the pool. I kicked back and had the drink of the day, while they swam. Had the place mostly to ourselves. It was a great way to start the cruise! I think it really made a difference that they no longer allow you in before 11 AM. It felt much less frantic than the cruise before that.

mominva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:14 AM   #189
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
Will do again:
1. Stay on the ship in nassau
2. Brunch at Palo
3. Order room service
4. Spend all day on CC (loved it!!)
5. Rent bikes on CC and ride to serenity bay and all around the trails and back
6. Shop on CC (i admit it, i like cheesy souvenirs)
7. Do any ship tours that are offered (i hope they have some)

Won't do again:
1. Won't rent snorkels on CC

Will do for the first time:
1. see a movie in the buena vista theater - i always say i will, then we never have the time. I wish the movie theater was open all night!! I'm a night owl.
2. Dinner at Palo
3. Tea at Palo
4. Remy
5. Ride the Aqua Duck
6. Count the lifevests and try them on
7. Eat at cabanas (can you believe, i've never eaten at the buffet up on deck!!)
8. Have the snack foods up on deck (french fries, ice cream etc)
9. Just hang out relaxing and reading a book
10. Get a cabana on Castaway Cay (fingers crossed that i'll get one)
11. swim at pelican bay (whatever that place is called - looks like river country)

that's all i can think of right now, but i'm sure there's a lot more!
i just remembered...

adding to my Will Do Again list from above:
8. Have table service breakfast (royal palace on the dream)
9. Have table service lunch (royal palace on the dream)

i absolutely loved having a sit down meal served to me (not a buffet).

the service was excellent and the servers were wonderful.
And the food was good too!!
and you could eat as much as you wanted.
DH literally ordered everything on the breakfast menu. I'm not kidding. At least one of everything, and several of one item.
To him, a vacation is eating in mass quantities.
To me, a vacation is being served by a waiter.

It was great that both of us could get what we wanted at the same place!!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #190
LoveStitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mominva View Post
For our cruise in August 2011, we got to the port at 11 AM. They won't let you park or go in before then. I don't remember what our boarding number was from online check in, but I think it was close to 10.

It could not have been easier. We had a rental car, and pulled up in front to drop our luggage - took about 1 minute - then we parked at the terminal. We walked in and got in the CC line. There was no line to speak of, and by the time we were done, they were boarding. There was no line at the kid's club desk, so I went ahead and registered my daughter, then we got on the ship.

My kids wore their bathing suit under their clothes, so we went straight up to the pool. I kicked back and had the drink of the day, while they swam. Had the place mostly to ourselves. It was a great way to start the cruise! I think it really made a difference that they no longer allow you in before 11 AM. It felt much less frantic than the cruise before that.
Thank you! That sounds good, and relaxing.

LoveStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #191
jessica29
DIS FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
Thanks for the info. I think we'll do one night at the main table and then one night like you suggested and have them eat first and then go to the kids club...and then we'll play it by ear on the 3rd night.

As a newbie, I'd love to know the answers, too, to the questions above. I've heard people say to get there early to board and enjoy the ship and others say to not get there early b/c you'll just wait in line.

I'd love some advice!

Oh, this is also a good idea ... I was thinking the same thing that my youngest won't be able to enjoy the show late at night b/c she'll fall asleep.

Unless it has changed, they will only pick your kids up from dinner during the late seating, thus your show times are earlier. My kids bedtime normally 7:30 but on the cruise they were able to do the late dining and in fact would beg to stay at the clubs late even though my DH and I were tired. Plus thier is usually time changes along the cruise if I remember correctly, that may affect sleeping schedules.I would make kids stay for animators palate for the shows and the other ones play it by ear. It is not something you have to commit to until they show up at about 9 to get all kids from the dining room. And really our dinners were never more than hour and a half TOPS.
Dixie Landing Aug.96'--Fort Wilderness July 99'---Bonnett Creek (timeshare)Oct. 07'---Port Orleans Riverside March 10'---AKL March 11'--- [COLOR="Blue"]Beach Club March and Royal Pacific Universal 12'--Disney Magic 11' Disney Fantasy March 2013
jessica29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #192
Mokat76
DisKat

I would pack differently. I brought entirely too many clothes. It's quite true that no one else on the ship or on excursions cares at all what you wear as long as it's decent.
I would definitely bring my extension cord again so I can charge all the gadgets.
I would get involved with the disboard forum for my cruise date and/or a Facebook group. Did the latter on my last cruise and made some FB friends who became friends for real on the ship.
Mokat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #193
Nutty4Disney
DIS Veteran

great thread

Will do again:
watch all the stage shows (we loved these)
see a movie or two (we hardly ever go to the movies at home, so it is a treat)
eat at Palo (hopefully brunch)
use room service for breakfast and snacks
bring a photo mat (or two) to be signed, maybe a canvas bag this time
bring over the door hanger (invaluable, even for just the two of us)
get the Drink of the Day
relax and unwind on deck with my Kindle and the aforementioned Drink of the Day

Will do for the first time:
not get off the ship if the port doesn't interest us, plenty to do onboard
book a verandah (our first one is this June on the Fantasy)
bring a pop up hamper (there is never any room for dirty clothes)
pay more attention to the Navigator (missed some things because we didn't read it more carefully)
ride Aqua Duck

Won't do:
forget to bring more $1 for tips for room service
book too many excursions and forget to just enjoy the ship
stress about booking Palo brunch (OK maybe I will still stress out, because I want this brunch for my birthday)
Land/Sea 2000 & 2004; All Star Movies 2006; Coronado Springs/Port Orleans 2007; EB PC Cruise 2008; POP Century 2009; AKV 2010/2011, VWL 2011;BLT, BWV & Fantasy 2012; AKV 2013; Wonder to Alaska 2014; Dream Member Cruise 2015
Nutty4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #194
dizzi
DIS Veteran

Oh sorry was just trying not to clutter the thread wasnt trying to leave any one out

WE found that for the Magic they did not seem to beusing the system as i have heard they do on the Larger ships.

We had the earliest time and although we got there early (way before 11) we were allowed to park check our bags and enter and there were already people in the erminal when we got there an there was NO WAY all the people that showed up early were at there assigned times/
Old 03-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #195
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica29 View Post
Unless it has changed, they will only pick your kids up from dinner during the late seating, thus your show times are earlier. My kids bedtime normally 7:30 but on the cruise they were able to do the late dining and in fact would beg to stay at the clubs late even though my DH and I were tired. Plus thier is usually time changes along the cruise if I remember correctly, that may affect sleeping schedules.I would make kids stay for animators palate for the shows and the other ones play it by ear. It is not something you have to commit to until they show up at about 9 to get all kids from the dining room. And really our dinners were never more than hour and a half TOPS.
Oh, I had requested early seating so if they only do this for late seating, then we'll just see what happens.

Quote:
Oh sorry was just trying not to clutter the thread wasnt trying to leave any one out

WE found that for the Magic they did not seem to beusing the system as i have heard they do on the Larger ships.

We had the earliest time and although we got there early (way before 11) we were allowed to park check our bags and enter and there were already people in the erminal when we got there an there was NO WAY all the people that showed up early were at there assigned times/
Ok, thanks! We'll be coming from WDW so trying to decide how long to stay in WDW and when to go to the cruise ship.
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: