Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

Talking MUSH! Going to Alaska - August 19, 2013 7 Night from Vancouver

Wow, I can't believe I am actually getting to start a Cruise Meet Thread!

I just booked this today. Actually, it is a cruise that I have been moving around now for quite some time for many reasons. But this is where I am pretty sure I am settling down.

Since I will be cruising solo, I decided I wanted to go somewhere a bit more exotic than just the Eastern or the Western. So Alaska it is!

I realize that at the moment, I am really just talking to myself. Hopefully sooner or later some others will show up here. If not, guess I just keep talking to myself.

This cruise is going to make me part of the Grand Slam Club. I will have sailed on all four ships.

So MUSH!

1/27/07 Western Caribbean Disney Magic; 2/2/12 Disney Dream Bahamas; 4/28/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; 1/27/13 Carnival Legend; 9/7/13 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 1/25/14 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 2/16/14 Disney Dream Bahamas
ThePhantomsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

This space reserved for useful information links

Vancouver FAQ Thread Started in 2009 but still useful!

The 2011 Alaskan Thread Older, but still useful thread

Cruising Alaska - Must Haves/Do

Alaska Excursions--post your reviews here From previous cruises

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2905629 Camera for Alaskan Cruise

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2904687 Binoculars for Alaskan Cruise

1/27/07 Western Caribbean Disney Magic; 2/2/12 Disney Dream Bahamas; 4/28/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; 1/27/13 Carnival Legend; 9/7/13 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 1/25/14 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 2/16/14 Disney Dream Bahamas

Last edited by ThePhantomsGirl; 04-06-2012 at 09:22 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

This space reserved for info on hotels and airfare information

Last edited by ThePhantomsGirl; 03-28-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

ROLL CALL:

(1) ThePhantomsGirl
Holly, Solo cruiser

(2) Socababy
Socababy and kids
Age 10
Age 8
Age 5

(3) Socababy's Friends:
DW
DH, & Kids
Age 10
Age 5

(4) Tink1963
Tink
DH

(5)Michellekcm
Michelle
DH & kids
Age 4
Age 1

(6)Aby
Aby
DH

(7) Mndisneygirl
Sheree
(DH) Dave
(DD) Sarah 12
(DD) Paige 10

(8) LisaG250
Lisa
(DH) Darrell

(9) Sister & Niece of LisaG250
(DS) Jen
(DN) Lila (11)

(10) Aunt and Friend of LisaG250
(DA) Kathi
(DF) Carol

Last edited by ThePhantomsGirl; 05-09-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

Okay, so I'm still happily talking to myself! Hmmm, what if I end up being the ONLY DIS'er on this cruise?

Anyway I'm in a really good mood this morning. I just was able to snag cabin #7120 for this cruise. One of the "secret" verandas that was a Cat 5, but reclassified as a Cat 7 because of a slight obstruction. Saved me about $723.

Had to be on hold for quite awhile, but it was worth it. The DCL rep kept singing to me! I'd said "chances are" in relation to something and he started singing the song. He said he'd heard that song on the way into work and it stuck in his head. And then I came up with that phrase. I love it when DCL reps are fun!

I did add on DCL air but chances are ( ) I will cancel it. I just wanted to book it just in case.

If anyone is reading this - hello! If not, guess I am just having a great time all by myself (strains of "All By Myself" by Eric Carmen).

Old 03-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
socababy
DIS Veteran

Hello! My kids and I are also booked on this cruise! My kids will be 10, 8 and 5 at sail time. As of right now, I have my friend, her Dh and her 3 kids (same ages and gender as mine) also going on this cruise. I have a feeling though that her family will have grown by cruise time!

My DH and I cruised to Alaska on Holland America with our boys back in July of 2006. It was an awesome trip, so beautiful! Hopefully the kids will get more enjoyment out of the sights more so than last time since they were so little. I'll post pics of our trip periodically to help with everyone's excitement! We sailed out of Seattle for that trip but I am looking forward to spending a few days in Vancouver before this cruise.
MAGIC July 2014 Med, Aug 2015 Dover to Barcelona, Aug 2015 Med
socababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

Welcome!

I was beginning to wonder if anyone would be on this cruise with me. So thank you for joining in!

Old 03-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
tink1963
DIS Veteran

HI I am also booked on this cruise.

It is just me and DH.

We sailed DCL to alaska last year on the Aug 23rd cruise. Booked a dummy on board and got lucky as the dummy was one of the MR cruises that was cancelled. Which gave me an additional OBC for the "inconvience". Moved to this cruise when dates were announced, which was my plan all along.

ThePhantomsGirl, we had 7120 last year. This year I went with 7620.

Looking forward to chatting with you all as time goes by and we get closer to our sail date.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #9
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

Hi Tink!

I'm so glad to have a previous Alaska cruiser, and someone who did near the same time frame as this one.

I'm sure we'll ask you tons of questions as the time gets nearer.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
tink1963
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantomsGirl View Post
Hi Tink!

I'm so glad to have a previous Alaska cruiser, and someone who did near the same time frame as this one.

I'm sure we'll ask you tons of questions as the time gets nearer.
Ask away. Last time the weather was good and animal sightings were amazing which is why we chose the same time of year again. We are even planning on doing the same excursion in Ketchikan again.

Heres a quick run down on our cruise plans from last year. Spend a few days in Seattle (flew in there), train to vancouver where we spent a day and half before sailing. Quick shuttle back to seattle and flew home the next day.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
michellekcm
Mouseketeer

Hi. We'll be on this cruise too.

There's myself, DH, and 2 kids. One will be 4, and the other will be just under 1. Also, my mother is coming, and hopefully my sister. I've booked for her, but she isn't ready to commit just yet. We've booked 2 cabins across the hall from each other - we wanted a balcony, but my mother was happy to have an inside cabin and just share our balcony, so that worked well.

DH, myself, and our daughter did a DCL Caribbean cruise last year, and decided that one day we wanted to do Alaska. My mother has always wanted to do an Alaska cruise as well, but her partner isn't interested, so we figured she might as well come with us. And, I was very jealous on our last cruise of all the people with grandparents there and their ability to have a small break. Don't get me wrong, I love our daughter, and the point was to have a family holiday, but it would have been nice to have one dinner without constantly chasing after her, or one of us taking her out to the lounges, etc. At least this year she can go to the kids club.

We're coming from Australia, so it will be part of a bigger trip including Disneyland and visiting friends in various parts of the US.
michellekcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
Aby
Obsessive and Compulsive

Hi everyone!

My hubby & I (thirty somethings!) will be joining you on this cruise! We went on the August 16th Alaska cruise last year and absolutely LOVED it and can't wait to go back. It will just be the two of us

If anyone has any questions for us, I'd be happy to answer. I even have the navigator's from last years cruise saved if anyone wants some information off of those.

Looking forward to getting to know you all over the next year and a half!

Aby
Aby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

Welcome MicheleKCM and Aby!

I'm so happy to find out that there are actually people coming on the cruise with me!

Wow, we have return Alaskan cruisers! I suspect you will be invaluable to us newbies. I have been trying to read any threads about previous cruises.

Right now I am trying to figure out when and where, as far as getting there. I am coming from the Orlando area so it's a long flight, so there is no way I would ever consider coming in the same day. There are many options:

Fly into Vancouver a day or two early.
Fly into Seattle and train to Vancouver

The hotels in Vancouver are really pricey. I looked at the Pacific Rim's rack rates and in August of this year it's almost $500 a night! However, I think past cruisers have found better rates on Priceline or Hotwire.

I'm also thinking I might like to do one of the train rides to Whistler.

As far as the cruise itself, not sure yet what I'll do for port adventures. A helicopter tour sounds exciting.

Holly

Old 03-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

For the previous Alaskan cruisers: Have any of you spent any time in Whistler?

At the moment, I am thinking that not only might I want to do a train trip to there, I might like to stay a day or two. The spa springs look heavenly, and I'm someone who just loves beautiful scenery. I'm not very athletic due to balance issues and sometimes use a cane. So, won't be doing any heavy hiking or stuff like that. But Whistler looks beautiful!

Old 03-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #15
Aby
Obsessive and Compulsive

As far as the hotels in Vancouver, yes, they are usually pricey. However, last year I booked through Disney and got a beautiful room at the Fairmont Vancouver Waterfront right across from the port for 279$. I was able to literally watch the boat pull into the harbor the morning of the cruise! It was well worth the money and very close to a little hub for all the trolly's and sight seeing buses.

Check out the view!

I would highly recommend giving yourself at least a full day in Vancouver before the cruise. The morning of the cruise I wouldn't count on doing anything else but ogling the ship and counting down the minutes till you can get on! We had a good time riding the trolly around Vancouver, checking out the aquarium and just wandering downtown and relaxing, but we really felt we could use another day so we will probably add one on this time if we can.

Aby
Aby is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: