Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
kcmbrooks
Earning My Ears

Question Need transportation from cruise to Orlando airport only

We are cruising from 4/29-5/3. We are flying down 2 days early and will be renting a car to drive to the port before the cruise. After the cruise, we have no way of getting from the port to the airport for our flight home since we didn't need to arrange any ground transfers for before the cruise. What is the most economical way for a family of 4 to get from the port to Orlando airport after our cruise returns to port on 5/3? Thanks!
kcmbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

You can arrange DCL one-way transfers for $35/pp from the cruise to the airport. This is what I did last month, I always rent a car precruise because I like to stop and get liquor and arrive at the port early, but on the way back I got the DCL transfer for the ease, and I was alone, so it doesnt save much money if any to rent a car. For a family of 4 though, $35x4 is $140 so you would likely be able to find a one-way car rental for less than that, if you dont mind the little bit of added hassle to shuttle to the rental car place & pickup the car. Other option would be a one-way towncar service, but I've not done that so I'm not sure on the price, I'm sure someone else can chime in for that.

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Mom’s Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
3dmykids
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmbrooks View Post
We are cruising from 4/29-5/3. We are flying down 2 days early and will be renting a car to drive to the port before the cruise. After the cruise, we have no way of getting from the port to the airport for our flight home since we didn't need to arrange any ground transfers for before the cruise. What is the most economical way for a family of 4 to get from the port to Orlando airport after our cruise returns to port on 5/3? Thanks!
I have looked at several options. We are looking at a either a car rental or limo. They are around the same price but we need a big car because there are 6 of us. You can do the Disney transportation but I know that they pick up later and we like to get to the port early. The average for us has been $150.00. With a car rental though you have to have someone return it the car rental place. A good place to look for town car or limo is limos.com.

3dmykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The most economical way to get from the terminal to MCO is a car rental. Returning the car at MCO is easy as several of the companies are located right at the airport--literally, the return place is across the street from the airport. We usually pay under $50 for a full size rental car. Of course you'll pay a bit for gas and tolls too.

DCL transfers can be purchased one way as well at a cost of $35 per person. This would be $140 for the 4 of you, but you might consider this worth the money if you are on a participating airline as that would allow your luggage to be taken from outside the cabin on the ship and you would next see it at the home airport. A limo service can't give you this convenience, and the cost would be about the same.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
gmros
Earning My Ears

From people's recommendations, I booked Cocoa Beach Shuttle from port to MCO ($90 for 5 ppl). We're renting a car before the cruise, pick up at MCO, drop of at Port Canaveral. If you want to rent a car, dropping it off at MCO is pretty easy. The drop off of most rental companies is at the airport parking lot. If you decide to rent a car, Budget has a promo code BCD Y937800
gmros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
Big Pro
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Princess 71 View Post
YI always rent a car precruise because I like to stop and get liquor and arrive at the port early
I know it's been hashed out before, but what's the best liquor store to go to? We just need a little bottle of Bailey's, gin, and bourbon so that we can get anywhere, but we were hoping to get some high-end wines to take on board.
Big Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
mckymaniac
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmbrooks View Post
I rented a minivan from budget for the return trip & am paying $60. I'm sure a 5 passenger car would be much less. Check the mousesavers website for a BCD code for Budget.

mckymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
gduvall
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckymaniac View Post
I rented a minivan from budget for the return trip & am paying $60. I'm sure a 5 passenger car would be much less. Check the mousesavers website for a BCD code for Budget.

I've got a minivan rented also for $60 for our return to MCO, but my fear is I get the Budget Saturday morning after our cruise to pickup van and they don't have any minivans to give me. And traveling with 6 people means I can't just take a smaller car. I'm considering changing plans to have a car service pick us up. Undecided!
gduvall is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport, ground transfer, orlando, transportation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: