Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
disneyforever2012
Earning My Ears

CM innocently pranking guest? thoughts? not looking to start a debate.

Long-term lurker, but on my last Disney vacation, I was people-watching in Hollywood Studios and saw two CM standing next to one another, chatting lively and interating with guests. It was a man and woman, and the man had a squirt gun behind his back.

He would squirt people from far away, and some people noticed and some didn't. Other people caught on to what he was doing, and were winking and laughing.

I went over to him and said "psst...my husband is over there on line with my sons on the character line. He is in the red shirt. When he gets off the line, can you squirt him? he hates getting wet." The CM agreed.

he continued squirting guests and targeted a younger girl, around 12. Her parents caught on and became very angry. They approached him and said it wasn't funny and how dare he do that, and it was a mean thing to do.

This reaction surprised me. He was not drenching people, just a little squirt.

He did finally get my husband, which I found hilarious.:

Do you think the parents overreacted?
Have you seen this before in the parks?
Would this have annoyed you?
Are you surprised that Disney allows this? I have a good sense of humor, but when I started thinking deeply about it, I guess not everyone would find it funny.

It was very hot that day, too.

thoughts?
disneyforever2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
sarahlovesmickey
I could probably make Shake N Bake from all the crumbs I have in my keyboard
My DH thinks I'm "Doing the Naughty" on the Budget Board

For me and my family, it wouldn't be a big deal--we would laugh and find it funny. We enjoy it when the CMs are silly. BUT, other people may be sensitive or not enjoy the element of surprise especially when water is involved.

~~Sarah~Proud ARMY wife and mother of 5 (soon to be 6!) Disney lovers!!!!~~
-DH -me -Bailey(11) -Madelyn(9) -Logan(6) Carter (4) Isabella (2) - Emily
MARCH 1st-7th--DOMINICAN REPUBLIC-2nd HONEYMOON!

2005-Stayed at WestGate Vacation Villas and Westgate Town Center/ 2007 May 5-19- Stayed at Horizons by Marriott/ 2009-April 18-May 2-Sheraton Vistana Villages/ 2010-February-Stayed at Blue Heron Beach Resort/ 2011-January 23-28-Stayed at Red Roof Inn Kissimmee(a VERY Budget friendly trip)/ 2013-April 16-27-Legacy Vacation Resort
sarahlovesmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

I am a little surprised that such pranks are allowed just because of uptight people like the parents you encountered.

To answer your other questions, yes, I think they overreacted. No, it wouldn't upset me. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before.

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: June 2015 - Disneyland
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
kaligal
DIS Veteran

I don't believe this story.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Not buying it either.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
disneyforever2012
Earning My Ears

I have no reason to lie. Perhaps you are looking to cause drama?

I thought it was funny and light-hearted, and the reaction surprised me. just wondering if anyone else has seen this in the parks and what they thought of it.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
f19810
Mouseketeer

Some kids (autistic, etc) may not react well to being squirted with water so I can understand if a parent got upset.
f19810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

~Oh, it's a spin-off from the bubble thread! Instead of CM's using bubble guns, we have CM's using water guns -- on guests! How creative?!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

It is silly for anyone to get upset at a sqiurt of water.........loosen up people!

If you cannt enjoy a little fun at the happest place on earth.............stay home!

I hope they refill the CM's water pistal and let him spread a little fun Magic!

geeesssshhhhhh..........AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
kaligal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyforever2012 View Post
Long-term lurker, but on my last Disney vacation, I was people-watching in Hollywood Studios and saw two CM standing next to one another, chatting lively and interating with guests. It was a man and woman, and the man had a squirt gun behind his back.

He would squirt people from far away, and some people noticed and some didn't. Other people caught on to what he was doing, and were winking and laughing.

I went over to him and said "psst...my husband is over there on line with my sons on the character line. He is in the red shirt. When he gets off the line, can you squirt him? he hates getting wet." The CM agreed.

he continued squirting guests and targeted a younger girl, around 12. Her parents caught on and became very angry. They approached him and said it wasn't funny and how dare he do that, and it was a mean thing to do.

This reaction surprised me. He was not drenching people, just a little squirt.

He did finally get my husband, which I found hilarious.:

Do you think the parents overreacted?
Have you seen this before in the parks?
Would this have annoyed you?
Are you surprised that Disney allows this? I have a good sense of humor, but when I started thinking deeply about it, I guess not everyone would find it funny.

It was very hot that day, too.

thoughts?
New rule.

Still not true.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
TeamBlack
Mouseketeer

When some puts in the title "not looking for a debate" it means: they ARE looking for a debate and the story is bogus.
July 1984
TeamBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
disneyforever2012
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by f19810 View Post
Some kids (autistic, etc) may not react well to being squirted with water so I can understand if a parent got upset.

That was what I came to figure when I thought about it. I had no problem seeing my husband get squirted, though! He had no idea where it came from , but then I let him in on it.

It really was funny sitting there watching people get spritzed and not figure out where it came from.

I'd like to stress that the amount of water was just a short little squirt, not a big stream or anything like that. Some people didn't even notice!

Last edited by disneyforever2012; 03-25-2012 at 01:49 PM. Reason: grammer!
Old 03-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #13
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

All of my pranks directed at Guests are verbal.

Such as telling someone with a can of Pepsi that only Coca Cola products are allowed in the Park.

Or telling someone wearing (or carrying) something from Universal or Sea World that we do not allow items from competing Parks in the Disney Parks.

Or telling people in wheelchairs or ECVs that racing is not allowed in the Park. If they are in a wheelchair I will also tell them they are responsible for their chauffeur's actions. If they are in an ECV or power chair I will also tell them that if they are caught drag racing or doing wheelies they will be ejected from the Park. In 6½ years I have had only one Guest upset at me for these comments; generally they (and their party) will laugh and they will have some sort of cute comeback at me.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #14
disneyforever2012
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBlack View Post
When some puts in the title "not looking for a debate" it means: they ARE looking for a debate and the story is bogus.
No, I put that because I knew some meanies were going to say this story can't be true. I'm not debating that, because I know what I saw and so does DH and my little ones. :-) I'm not getting into a debate over what I already know is true.

My question was if anyone has seen this in other parks, or how they felt if they did experience it.

Perhaps a Disboards CM can weigh in?

I was surprised only at the fact that the 2 castmembers were talking. I thought that was a no-no?

But let's not forget, we do get sprayed by Lilo!

No debates, no drama. Just seeing if anyone had a similiar experience. I come in peace!
Old 03-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
disneyforever2012
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
All of my pranks directed at Guests are verbal.

Such as telling someone with a can of Pepsi that only Coca Cola products are allowed in the Park.

Or telling someone wearing (or carrying) something from Universal or Sea World that we do not allow items from competing Parks in the Disney Parks.

Or telling people in wheelchairs or ECVs that racing is not allowed in the Park. If they are in a wheelchair I will also tell them they are responsible for their chauffeur's actions. If they are in an ECV or power chair I will also tell them that if they are caught drag racing or doing wheelies they will be ejected from the Park. In 6½ years I have had only one Guest upset at me for these comments; generally they (and their party) will laugh and they will have some sort of cute comeback at me.
Ahh, I see. I ran into a verbal prank by a CM cashier at a candy story in Magic Kingdom who told me as he rung up my cotton candy, that all the cotton candy was stale. I believed him!

Do you know then if they are allowed to use a water spritzer/water gun in the situation I outlined above? Do you need special clearance or is that something that was maybe a lighthearted joke that the CM could have gotten into trouble for?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: