Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
jessiegirl84
Mouseketeer

Jess & Dave's Swan & Dolphin 2013 Wedding! Update 29/07/12!

Hello,

My name is Jess and my partners name is Dave. We live in Australia and we took a trip over to the USA for 4 weeks in December 2011 to try and have a white christmas in New York but it wasn't meant to be, but I did get something even more amazing, a beautiful diamond ring! He popped the question at Magic Kingdom on the night of Mickey's Verry Merry Christmas Party, it was so beautiful. You can read about it in my trip report in my sig below

So we weren't even thinking about having a Disney Wedding, until we were having lunch a few weeks ago with some good friends of ours. They got married in Thailand and it was so beautiful. I guess I hadn't thought of having a wedding in Orlando, as its so far away from Australia, about 16-17 hours direct from Brisbane, where we live. But I decided to do some research just to check out some costs. I was quite surprised that the wedding minimum expenditure for the wishes wedding was $12k, but then I realised that didn't include tax and gratuities. eek. Then I thought about the escape wedding, but that was still about $5-6k for the ceremony plus I wasn't sure how many people would actually come, as you can only have 18 people. Dave has already been married before, and I have already been engaged so I was planning on having a big wedding anyway, so I thought I could probably have a wedding for less that that here. So we scrapped Disney. But I still came on and the wedding section to continue reading, you know to live through you lovely ladies hehe!

I kept looking for venues here in Brisbane, but nothing was jumping out at me, maybe in the back of my mind I really did want a Disney wedding? Then I wondered how many of my friends and family would come. So I decided to send a message to my closest friends and ring a few family members just to 'float' the idea past them. Some seemed keen some not so much, but all in all they were very very positive about the idea, thinking it would be very unique.
Then I stumbled across the Swan and Dolphin FAQ board, and got some more information about wedding there, we had actually visited this hotel on our last trip, but it was only waiting for a bus to pick us up to take us to NASA, but I did think the hotel was gorgeous. I then made some enquires to find out prices and got in contact with Just Marry, and Erin got back to me so so quickly with a ton of information. I started up with my budget and did some comparisons between the Swan Wedding, the Wishes Wedding and a wedding back home. Swan was in front!!

One day at work, something just clicked in my head, as silly as that sounds, as Dave and I had been debating this for weeks and he was 110% ready to go to Orlando, and I just walked over to him, as we work together and said lets get married at Disney! yahhhhh!!

Thanks for reading if you got this far.. Up next, the plan we have made so far

Jess & Dave - 2 Aussies engaged and married in the most magical place on earth!

Last edited by jessiegirl84; 07-29-2012 at 07:34 AM.
jessiegirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
jessiegirl84
Mouseketeer

After we decided to go ahead with the Swan and Dolphin Wedding, I went into full wedding planning mode! I absolutely love planning, any type of planning to be honest.

So things we have decided on so far :

Ceremony - Crescent Terrace

Cocktail hour - Courtyard outside Il Mulino
I haven't seen a picture of this, but I will check with Erica from Il Mulino as she suggested this area. We are planning on having Champagne, Cocktails and some nibbles and our cake for half an hour, we are thinking about having Minnie and Mickey come during this time, but just unsure yet as they are expensive, but I think it would be quite cute too. Then we will go off and get some photos taken, while our guests enjoy some drinks and nibbles.

Reception - Dinner at Il Mulino Restaurant.
We have been chatting with Erica and she has been so so nice. We explored many many options but after looking at the menu she sent us, the food sounds so yummy!

Cake - It's Tasty Too
I have been in contact with Heather from It's Tasty Too, and she was so nice! Not sure yet, what type of cake, I have email her a few pictures to get some prices going, but I have ready a ton of wedding journals and so many girls have recommend them, so I figure as we are not going to be able to get to do a taste test, Im going to believe her cake she bakes for us will be yummy. We are also considering getting cookies made for our guests as our favours, and then tieing them in cellophane and tieing them all together with a disney love quote, we are collecting them already. Hopefully a different one for each guest.

Photography - Randy Champan.
After reading so many reviews about photography, I made some enquiries and Randy got back to me so quickly and his prices were really great! His work is just beautiful so we have gone ahead and booked him for our wedding!

Videography - STVS Photography
We weren't going to have a videographer, but we made contact with a few just to get some prices, when I heard back from Stan, he mentioned that he works with Randy Chapman and at the moment they have a deal going on, 3hours of photography and videography for $950, so we decided to go ahead and book him as well! We are planning on having a party with all our friends and family who couldn't make it over, so we are planning replaying the video which will be nice.

Ceremony Music - Christine, Harp Player
After reading so many beautiful reviews of Christine, I emailed her and she got back to me so quickly and her prices were quite reasonable! I listened to a few of her songs on her website and I was hooked. So she is now booked for an hour, maybe 20 mins before the ceremony and the ceremony and then 20 mins after, I can't wait to go through her selection and pick our music! I am so happy she is going to play for us!

Hair and Makeup - BeauteSpeciale
I have seen so many great reviews and pictures of this company so I made some initial enquiries about their services and their prices are really reasonable. So I just have to send them back some information, I am just waiting until I make up my mind about having bridesmaids and picking which date to have a trial for.

Wedding Planner - Just Marry, Erin
Erin has been so so great with us, She has got back to us so quickly and she was so helpful in providing so much information to us. Plus she was able to make contact with the Swan to see if they were willing to lock in our date so far out, and she came back to us and we got a fabulous response, she was quite response! YES! They were happy to lock in our date!. Cannot wait to work with her more closely over the next 16 months

I forgot to mention the most important thing, our date hehe, its the 10 September 2013 so still quite awhile away, but I think I have locked in and made contact with most important people.

So I think thats all I've done so far, we have actually already sent out a Save the Date card, plus a newsletter and a pre-rsvp card to all our guests. So next post I'll post some pics of these.
Thank you for reading

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
MrsRomance
Counting down until the next DFTW :D

Welcome! Your choices so far sound great!! I can't wait to hear how your plans take shape. We used It's Tasty too and didn't have a tasting, but were soooo happy with how our cake turned out. We had banana cake with chocolate genache which was to die for and chocolate cake with peanut butter cup filling which was really good too (not as good as the banana IMHO!). And Randy is a superstar!!
Old 03-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Abby's Dad
DIS Veteran

This is sooooo exciting Jess - and the plans sound tremendous! A wonderful wedding for a great couple!
WDW: October 1976 - Offsite, January 1979 - CR, September of 2007 - POFQ, Christmas 2011 - CR, MNSSHP and F&W - October 2012 - AKV, Flower & Garden - April 2013 - BLT, and MNSSHP and F&W - October 2013 - BLT (our DVC home resort) AKV-Kidani.
Abby's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
DisneyBrideCKB
Mouseketeer

CONGRATS! and welcome! :Welcome:
Super stoked to read about your engagement and your plans! That's a pretty awesome DF you've got there! Great idea for the proposal!
You seems to have almost all your plans worked out so far! WOW! And might I say, from the research I've done, you've picked the best vendors Orlando has to offer! (although unlike MrsRomance, I haven't actually tried any of these vendors yet!)
Can't wait to hear more about your plans!

Kathryn & Charles PJ!
October 6th, 2012
WDW, WP / GF
DisneyBrideCKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
sarahb01
Mouseketeer

Hello to my fellow Swalphin!

I too am getting married at the Swan in 2013. What time of the year are you looking at?

I have been in contact with Erin for a couple of weeks now and she is awesome! It looks like you have a great idea of your plans so far, I can't wait to keep reading along!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
2dogmom
DIS Veteran

Welcome fellow Swan bride. So awesome to get engaged at Disney. I am using a few of the same vendors too (It's Tasty Too, Randy, Christine). Like you, I am going off of all of the reviews these lovely ladies have left. I'm sure it will al work out perfectly.

My Wedding Planning Journal

June, 2014 - AoA / RP @ US June, 2012 - My Swan Wedding / BC-CL
Nov 2010 - POR Aug 2008 - Poly Dec 2007 - Poly/WL Dec 2006 - Poly Sept 2006 - Portofino
Dec 2005 - Poly May 2005 - WL/Poly Oct 2004 - Poly Feb 2003 - CS Oct 2002 - AKL

2dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Icecoldpenguin
May the Force Be With You

Jessie,
We are so glad that you have joined our little group of Swalphins. We can not wait to hear your plans. I am so happy for you.

Teresa

TRIPS:
Now a Florida Resident and Visiting as much as possible!
All 5 SWW 2014 Turkey Day '13 VWL, Labor Day '13, May '13/June '13-SWW 1,3 & 4 May '13-Disneyland, Nov '12-Pop, Oct '12 Swan, Jun/Jul '12 Disney World Wedding/Honeymoon, Dec '11 Wilderness Lodge, Oct '11 Poly, June '11-ASMo, June '10 ASMu, 2000 Offsite
Icecoldpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

Hi Jessie sweetie!!! So glad to see that you have started your PJ!1 I will be following along eagerly!!!

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
Shannon84
DIS Veteran

Welcome and congrats!! Always happy to have another Swalphin bride
Shannon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
J.ThaddeusToad
Mouseketeer

Congrats and yay Swalphins! Can't wait to hear more about your planning!!!

Me DH
J.ThaddeusToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #12
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Swalphin love!!

All of your plans look great! Can't wait to hear more!
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:26 AM   #13
jessiegirl84
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRomance View Post
Welcome! Your choices so far sound great!! I can't wait to hear how your plans take shape. We used It's Tasty too and didn't have a tasting, but were soooo happy with how our cake turned out. We had banana cake with chocolate genache which was to die for and chocolate cake with peanut butter cup filling which was really good too (not as good as the banana IMHO!). And Randy is a superstar!!
Thank you so much for your thoughts! We are a little bit worried about the cake, but I have heard such good reviews I am sure it will taste delicious!! Your banana cake sounds yummy!

Old 04-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #14
jessiegirl84
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby's Dad View Post
This is sooooo exciting Jess - and the plans sound tremendous! A wonderful wedding for a great couple!
Thankyou so much for your kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBrideCKB View Post
CONGRATS! and welcome! :Welcome:
Super stoked to read about your engagement and your plans! That's a pretty awesome DF you've got there! Great idea for the proposal!
You seems to have almost all your plans worked out so far! WOW! And might I say, from the research I've done, you've picked the best vendors Orlando has to offer! (although unlike MrsRomance, I haven't actually tried any of these vendors yet!)
Can't wait to hear more about your plans!
Thankyou DisneyBrideCKB, I certainly do have a great man. He totally surprised me it was something I hadn't even imagined! Thank you for following along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahb01 View Post
Hello to my fellow Swalphin!

I too am getting married at the Swan in 2013. What time of the year are you looking at?

I have been in contact with Erin for a couple of weeks now and she is awesome! It looks like you have a great idea of your plans so far, I can't wait to keep reading along!
Hello Sarah, I actually posted in your PJ. We are booked now at the Swan for 10 September 2013, Erin is also my consultant and she was so shocked that we could book so far in advance, but our contract has been signed and our deposit paid. Looking forward to following along with your PJ too, especially if we are both looking at September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogmom View Post
Welcome fellow Swan bride. So awesome to get engaged at Disney. I am using a few of the same vendors too (It's Tasty Too, Randy, Christine). Like you, I am going off of all of the reviews these lovely ladies have left. I'm sure it will al work out perfectly.
Thank you so much 2dogmom! From everything I have read and seen pictures of, I think we are in good hands! Its so hard being so far away and not being able to take a visit before the big day, but it will just have to do!
Thank for your reading!

Old 04-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #15
jessiegirl84
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecoldpenguin View Post
Jessie,
We are so glad that you have joined our little group of Swalphins. We can not wait to hear your plans. I am so happy for you.

Teresa
Thank you Teresa! I am so happy to be part of the little Swan/Dolphin I'm following along with yours as well, your plans sound really great. Thank you for following along with mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell 766 View Post
Hi Jessie sweetie!!! So glad to see that you have started your PJ!1 I will be following along eagerly!!!
Thank you Tinkerbell! I absolutely loved your pj/tr! Your wedding was so so beautiful, I think I read your report in a few days couldn't stop! Thank you for following along with mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon84 View Post
Welcome and congrats!! Always happy to have another Swalphin bride
Thankyou Shannon84! Im so glad to be part of the swan/dolphin group! Definitely such a great way to go for a Disney wedding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.ThaddeusToad View Post
Congrats and yay Swalphins! Can't wait to hear more about your planning!!!
Thankyou so much for following along with my trip, that means a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDuck View Post
Swalphin love!!

All of your plans look great! Can't wait to hear more!
Thank you Mrs Duck. Im so glad to be apart of the Swan/Dolphin group

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: