Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Countdowns and Live Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #286
ButterflyJen
Mouseketeer
 
ButterflyJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 334

I think I'm going to be amazed at the difference between DL and WDW. Sizewise they are so different! Park hopping at DL = walking across a paved area to get from one set of turnstiles to another. I know it's slightly different than that at WDW
__________________
Me DH DD10 DD7

Disneyland Day Trip 1981*Disneyland Day Trip 2000*DL/DCA Day Trip May 2007*Our First WDW Trip Jan 2013...for DD's 6th Birthday!
ButterflyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #287
jillhou
DIS Veteran
 
jillhou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: suburbia near Houston, TX
Posts: 586

We are still a bit undecided. I am thinking we might arrive Jan 1 or 2 and stay until Jan 8. This is sort of a trip for my youngest son who will turn 18. i want him to do the new Driving Experience where he can drive a Lambhorgini or other exotic car as we have always kidded him saying that since he is the youngest - we can spoil him with the big brothers out of the house! That part will be his bday surprise at Disney.

When talking about going - he wants to get there for NYE. We are a family of 5 and that time - we will be 5 adults! I was thinking about one of the villas with some separate bedrooms, but he really wants our normal - Poly. Not sure what to do - probably cannot even get Poly for NYE now!

Any advice is very appreciated!
__________________
DISNEY LOVER! MOM of 3 boys
offsite - 1990, DXL - 1992, Wilderness Cabins - 1995
Disneyland Hotel - 1995, Poly - 1997, Contemp - 2000
Dolphin - 2001, Poly GVC- 2002,
DL - Grand Cali - 2002 - wonderful
conc@Poly Lv and AKL - 2003, Poly Conc - Xmas 2004
AllStar Music - can I do it? - Apr 2005 with HS choir
Poly Conc - March 5 - 11, 2006, August 2007 - Poly concierge
March 2011 - one more time - Poly Club
New Years and January 2013 - not sure where yet - CR Club and????
jillhou is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #288
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO
 
letthewookiewin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,830

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyJen View Post
I think I'm going to be amazed at the difference between DL and WDW. Sizewise they are so different! Park hopping at DL = walking across a paved area to get from one set of turnstiles to another. I know it's slightly different than that at WDW
Nah, it's not that much bigger. I bet you won't notice any difference at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillhou View Post
We are still a bit undecided. I am thinking we might arrive Jan 1 or 2 and stay until Jan 8. This is sort of a trip for my youngest son who will turn 18. i want him to do the new Driving Experience where he can drive a Lambhorgini or other exotic car as we have always kidded him saying that since he is the youngest - we can spoil him with the big brothers out of the house! That part will be his bday surprise at Disney.

When talking about going - he wants to get there for NYE. We are a family of 5 and that time - we will be 5 adults! I was thinking about one of the villas with some separate bedrooms, but he really wants our normal - Poly. Not sure what to do - probably cannot even get Poly for NYE now!

Any advice is very appreciated!
& added here and on the FB group. WOO HOO another Texan!!!
That sounds like an awesome trip. You could call and try and get the Poly. I mean all they can do it tell you their book, and well maybe laugh at you a little. (totally joking)
__________________
Me(38)DH(38) DS16 DS15 Bug R.I.P. 8/20/11
'81-OS/w parents; 3/94-OS/w HS band & met future DH; 7/00-OS,5th wedding anny; 3/04-CBR,DS's 1st trip; 10/06-WL,MNSSHP; 6/12-PC; 9/13-Swan/AKL SV; 5/14 DL; 12/14 SoG, Suz & I & MVMCP


"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #289
ButterflyJen
Mouseketeer
 
ButterflyJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 334

Oh good, so you're saying I can make breakfast ressies at CRT then walk to Epcot in time to tour the entire world showcase and still make a noon ADR at Akershus? Sweet.
__________________
Me DH DD10 DD7

Disneyland Day Trip 1981*Disneyland Day Trip 2000*DL/DCA Day Trip May 2007*Our First WDW Trip Jan 2013...for DD's 6th Birthday!
ButterflyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #290
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!
 
Marshay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 13,335

Quote:
Originally Posted by letthewookiewin View Post
Nah, it's not that much bigger. I bet you won't notice any difference at all.

Kim -- you scared me there for a bit! I didn't see the Laughing Face behind your quote and was like, "Girl, what are you talking about?" I was about to get on here and say, that yeah, there is quite a difference bet DL and WDW.

Silly me -- I should have known you had it covered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyJen View Post
Oh good, so you're saying I can make breakfast ressies at CRT then walk to Epcot in time to tour the entire world showcase and still make a noon ADR at Akershus? Sweet.
and don't forget you'll also be able to ride Expedition Everest and TSMM that afternoon by just walking up to them and doing the stand-by line, which should only be about 15-20 minutes!!
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #291
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!
 
Marshay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 13,335

oh, and "HI" ButterflyJen -- saw you on the Daisy Girl Scout thread. Thanks for offereing your advice there!
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #292
readytogotodisney
DIS Veteran
 
readytogotodisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 915

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillhou View Post
We are still a bit undecided. I am thinking we might arrive Jan 1 or 2 and stay until Jan 8. This is sort of a trip for my youngest son who will turn 18. i want him to do the new Driving Experience where he can drive a Lambhorgini or other exotic car as we have always kidded him saying that since he is the youngest - we can spoil him with the big brothers out of the house! That part will be his bday surprise at Disney.

When talking about going - he wants to get there for NYE. We are a family of 5 and that time - we will be 5 adults! I was thinking about one of the villas with some separate bedrooms, but he really wants our normal - Poly. Not sure what to do - probably cannot even get Poly for NYE now!

Any advice is very appreciated!
With 5 adults, I can't imagine staying in a (1) standard room at the Poly. Tight squeeze! I'd at least want 2 bathrooms to use. A villa would be great I think! But the big question is what will be available at this point.
Maybe look at renting points from a DVC member? That might be your best bet.
__________________
Me 33 , DH 33 , and DS 4 and baby girl Natalie My Photobucket with Disney Name Fills
Trips: DW '82,'86,'87,'89 Off site, '91 CR, '92 WL, '94-'99 OKW, '02 OKW, '05 off site '06 BWI, '07 OKW, '09 BWV, '11 BLT,'12 BCV '13BLT/BWV
'13AKL/POFQ GFV '14 ASMusic '14, AoA/WLV '14 US/IOA and BWV/BLT '15
DL - 10/12 DCL - 4/13 ~ Dream 11/14 ~Dream
readytogotodisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #293
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO
 
letthewookiewin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
Kim -- you scared me there for a bit! I didn't see the Laughing Face behind your quote and was like, "Girl, what are you talking about?" I was about to get on here and say, that yeah, there is quite a difference bet DL and WDW.

Silly me -- I should have known you had it covered!!
no worries, I'm just glad I remembered the laughing smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
and don't forget you'll also be able to ride Expedition Everest and TSMM that afternoon by just walking up to them and doing the stand-by line, which should only be about 15-20 minutes!!
I bet the lines will be so low that they won't even have to get off the ride to ride it as many times as they want.
Silly me, I went to make a smart-aleck comment about being able to arrive at the SWW events no more than 5 minutes before they start. Then I remembered that this was the January thread and not the June one. I think my brain stopped working right after I went on my walk/run tonight.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
oh, and "HI" ButterflyJen -- saw you on the Daisy Girl Scout thread. Thanks for offereing your advice there!
oh just wondermus, now I want some Girl Scout cookies.
__________________
Me(38)DH(38) DS16 DS15 Bug R.I.P. 8/20/11
'81-OS/w parents; 3/94-OS/w HS band & met future DH; 7/00-OS,5th wedding anny; 3/04-CBR,DS's 1st trip; 10/06-WL,MNSSHP; 6/12-PC; 9/13-Swan/AKL SV; 5/14 DL; 12/14 SoG, Suz & I & MVMCP


"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Last edited by letthewookiewin; 03-22-2012 at 10:15 PM.
letthewookiewin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #294
vikkii19
Mouseketeer
 
vikkii19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 444

Joining in, we were supposed to be there from the 20th to the 26th, but we just changed that this morning. We'll be at AKV from the 26th to 2nd of February. We're hoping to switch to BLT at the 7 month mark though.

So far we're me, my DH and DD who will be 22 months at the time. We've invited my in-laws but they haven't confirmed. I'm skeptical that they'll come, since they never leave the house and have never travelled, but I thought since it'll be DD's first trip, it might be the motivation they need to travel. I guess we'll see, they said they would think about it and let me know.

This will be our first time travelling in the winter and I'm kind of nervous about that.
__________________




Me(31) DH(30)DD (2)
vikkii19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #295
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO
 
letthewookiewin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,830

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikkii19 View Post
Joining in, we were supposed to be there from the 20th to the 26th, but we just changed that this morning. We'll be at AKV from the 26th to 2nd of February. We're hoping to switch to BLT at the 7 month mark though.

So far we're me, my DH and DD who will be 22 months at the time. We've invited my in-laws but they haven't confirmed. I'm skeptical that they'll come, since they never leave the house and have never travelled, but I thought since it'll be DD's first trip, it might be the motivation they need to travel. I guess we'll see, they said they would think about it and let me know.

This will be our first time travelling in the winter and I'm kind of nervous about that.
& added. Let me know if y'all change to the BLT (for some reason everytime I see that I think Bacon Lettuce Tomato) and then I'll change it in the first post.
Y'all are going to have such a magical trip with your little one, who according to your siggy is such a cutie patootie. Hopefully, the in-laws will see what an amazing trip it will be and come along. I know I want to be there when my grandkids go for the first time. Since, that better not be for another 20-30 years, my DSs are 13 & 14, I have a little while to wait.
__________________
Me(38)DH(38) DS16 DS15 Bug R.I.P. 8/20/11
'81-OS/w parents; 3/94-OS/w HS band & met future DH; 7/00-OS,5th wedding anny; 3/04-CBR,DS's 1st trip; 10/06-WL,MNSSHP; 6/12-PC; 9/13-Swan/AKL SV; 5/14 DL; 12/14 SoG, Suz & I & MVMCP


"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #296
ButterflyJen
Mouseketeer
 
ButterflyJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 334

Oooh, do NOT say you want Girl Scout cookies unless you mean it, I will find a way to ship them to you. My basement is still full as we have two more booths in the next two weeks!!

Hi Marshay, I thought you looked familiar

So, I should totally plan to just have every park, ride, and form of transportation alllll to myself, is what you're saying? Sweet.

Got our planning DVD in the mail yesterday and DD5 has already watched it twice
__________________
Me DH DD10 DD7

Disneyland Day Trip 1981*Disneyland Day Trip 2000*DL/DCA Day Trip May 2007*Our First WDW Trip Jan 2013...for DD's 6th Birthday!
ButterflyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #297
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO
 
letthewookiewin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,830

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyJen View Post
Oooh, do NOT say you want Girl Scout cookies unless you mean it, I will find a way to ship them to you. My basement is still full as we have two more booths in the next two weeks!!

Hi Marshay, I thought you looked familiar

So, I should totally plan to just have every park, ride, and form of transportation alllll to myself, is what you're saying? Sweet.

Got our planning DVD in the mail yesterday and DD5 has already watched it twice
OMG, I want to live in your basement!!
Several years ago, my sister went to college in New Zealand for 10 months on a scholarship. She was there when the September 11th attacks happened, so that would have made it 2001(?). She lived in a dorm suite, with mostly international students. Some of them had never heard of Girl Scout cookies. Well I just couldn't have that. I don't remember how many boxes I sent, but it cost me almost $90 (more than I had paid for the cookies) to ship them. Most of it was b/c I had wrapped each box in several layers of bubble wrap and put a ton of packing peanuts. I couldn't have the cookies all in pieces when they reached them. Plus, I sent them the quick way, so that the ones with chocolate didn't melt.
__________________
Me(38)DH(38) DS16 DS15 Bug R.I.P. 8/20/11
'81-OS/w parents; 3/94-OS/w HS band & met future DH; 7/00-OS,5th wedding anny; 3/04-CBR,DS's 1st trip; 10/06-WL,MNSSHP; 6/12-PC; 9/13-Swan/AKL SV; 5/14 DL; 12/14 SoG, Suz & I & MVMCP


"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #298
lindsey
DIS Veteran
 
lindsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Taylors, SC
Posts: 653

I love the planning part - count me in. DH, me, son, daughter-in-law, grandson 10, granddaughter 6. On site Jan 10 - 11 - for 5K and 1/2 marathon, probably All Star Family Suite, or A of A - would love to stay at FW Cabins, then moving offsite to Wyndham BC.
Lindsey
__________________
Jun82 - FW, Aug88 - FW, Oct91 - FW, Oct92 - FW, Dec93 - POR (formerly DL), Feb95 - POR(formerly DL), Jun96 - off site, Dec96 - Poly, Jun99 - FW, Dec00 - FW, Dec02 - FW, Jun04 -FW, Dec05 - BWI & AKL, Feb07 - offsite, Jun07 - ASMo, Oct 08 - ASMu, Feb09 Pop/Bonnet Creek, Sep10 - Bonnet Creek, Nov 11 - Bonnet Creek, Jn 13 - POP, Bonnet Creek, Caribbean Beach

lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #299
UndercoverMama
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 363

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikkii19 View Post
This will be our first time travelling in the winter and I'm kind of nervous about that.
I know winter travel can be nerve wracking but it is so nice to get to take a break from the snow!


Quote:
Originally Posted by letthewookiewin View Post
Some of them had never heard of Girl Scout cookies. Well I just couldn't have that. I don't remember how many boxes I sent, but it cost me almost $90 (more than I had paid for the cookies) to ship them. Most of it was b/c I had wrapped each box in several layers of bubble wrap and put a ton of packing peanuts. I couldn't have the cookies all in pieces when they reached them. Plus, I sent them the quick way, so that the ones with chocolate didn't melt.
So... I've never had any girl scout cookies.. heard the samoas are good.. you should buy me a case and mail them my way ASAP ...

oh ok, just kidding

That was very nice of you!
__________________
UndercoverMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #300
goldwest
Earning My Ears
 
goldwest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 72

Newbie to posting. Headed to WDW Jan 3ish (flights might adjust a day or 2) to Jan 12th. DH (48) DS (15) and first trip with niece (11) Our second trip - we were last there in 2009. Stayed at POR and plan to return this trip.
__________________
goldwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.