Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
ptmmg
DIS Veteran

Miami port ??

just booked the wonder for 2/16/2013 just got off the dream in Feb wanted a longer cruise next time!!!
anyway what hotel do you suggest near the port with a nice pool? is there a shuttle service or is it easier to rent a car from the arport and drop it off at the port like at port canaveral?
is there a store to buy alcohol near the port to bring on board? Not sure which airport we will be fly
flying into how far is Ft lautadale airport from the port?
ptmmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
ptmmg
DIS Veteran

has anybody sailed out of maimi or is this a new port?
ptmmg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Miami is a new port for DCL. YOu can look over on www.cruisecritic.com for Miami port info. I'm sure there are people on here that have sailed out of Miami and can also give some more imput.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
breakingd_awn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmmg View Post
just booked the wonder for 2/16/2013 just got off the dream in Feb wanted a longer cruise next time!!!
anyway what hotel do you suggest near the port with a nice pool? is there a shuttle service or is it easier to rent a car from the arport and drop it off at the port like at port canaveral?
is there a store to buy alcohol near the port to bring on board? Not sure which airport we will be fly
flying into how far is Ft lautadale airport from the port?
Hi there We booked the 2/25/2013 cruise. Ive already got a hotel booked at the SpringHill Suites in Miami. From the Ft. Lauderdale airport to the hotel at the port its 29minutes . We are renting a van from the airport and then dropping it off at the Budget office at the port. But, I read somewhere on here that they might not have a shuttle at the Miami Port Budget office. So, I might have to go with another rental company. After the cruise we are staying in Ft. Lauderdale closer to the airport.
2011 "DREAMin" for 5 days
2010 Our first "WONDERful" cruise
Shipmates:MeDH
DD(18)DD(16)
DD(11)DD(5)

breakingd_awn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

Taxi from FL to port of Miami was $80. There is a hertz about 2 miles from the port lots of good reviews at Hampton Inn on brickel ave. lots of liquor stores in the Downtown area. Go during the day.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
TwinsFan
Mouseketeer

There are several hotels downtown Miami near the port. My favorite is the Intercontinental, it can often be booked inexpensively using Hotwire or Lastminutetravel. It has a nice pool and is next to Bayside a shopping restaurant area. Another good option is the Holiday Inn, across the street from Bayside. There is a liquor store a couple blocks behind the Holiday Inn. I always take a cab from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the port. When sailing out of miami I recommend flying into Miami, it's much closer.

Disney World
Disney Institute 3/87, DixL 3/94, CBR12/96, CS 9/00, AKL 5/02, BCV 11/03, SSR 10/04, BWV9/06, BCV 10/09
AKL 1/11, BCV 10/11, VWL 12/12
Disneyland 10/08 GC
DCL 10/11 Disney Dream

---------------------------------------------------
TwinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
socialgal
Earning My Ears

Close to POM is downtown. I really like the Hampton Inn & Suites Miami Brickell Downtown (http://www.hamptoninnmiamibrickell.com/).The hotel is a block away from Mary Brickell Village (http://www.marybrickellvillage.com/) and a short metromover (free monorail) ride from Bayside MarketPlace (http://www.baysidemarketplace.com/). It is a $10 cab ride from the port and has $18 a day parking fee.
If you are not staying very long in Miami, the Airport area has nice hotels at a better rate than downtown. At the airport, we stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites Miami Airport South Blue Lagoon (http://www.hamptoninnmiamiairport.com/) and loved it. It has an airport shuttle and a cruise package with two one-way transports to POM (a cab ride will cost you around $25).
Both hotels have pools and markets nearby.
socialgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #8
nenis
Mouseketeer

any updates?

Does anybody have any updates?
How much is a taxi from the airport to the port?
Where is the best place to stay at, closest to the port? Do they provide shuttles to the port?
nenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
ktb2002
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenis View Post
Does anybody have any updates?
How much is a taxi from the airport to the port?
Where is the best place to stay at, closest to the port? Do they provide shuttles to the port?
Taxi from airport to the port is a flat rate of $24.

Wonder 12/21/08
Dream 03/27/12
Fantasy 07/14/12
Dream 10/07/12
Dream 10/11/12
Fantasy 05/25/13
ktb2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
redshoes
I'm sitting here watching the new Disney Vacation Planning DVD, and I'm actually crying- stupid cold meds make me wacky
Oooo, I HATE HATE HATE potty training. I've been through those hellish times and it sucks

I just got off this cruise on Thursday. We cruised the 27th through the 2nd. We stayed at the comfort suites Miami airport north. They had a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and then a cruise shuttle to the port. It was a very clean and nice hotel. The front desk was great. Any other questions about the hotel or cruise in general, I would love to help. I got so much great advice here, I would love to pay some back.

redshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

We sailed the Wonder out of Miami on Feb. After some research, best 'bang for the buck' was the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon - it is near the airport and a few miles from the port.

Another option would have been the Hampton Inn downtown, which is closer to the port but a little more expensive.

We drove, however, the one we stayed at did have a free shuttle service from the airport and they offered transfers to the Miami port for a fee. There were also cruise specials which included transfers to the port for two people and a fee for additional ones. I believe there were also some park & cruise packages.

The Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon has a locked parking garage which was a bonus. We parked at the port however. Note that there are some parking lots, however the area they are located is questionable.

Port is right next to the downtown area and taxi's are not that expensive.

Finally, I think sailings out of Miami are undersold, due to the fact that there's no DCL transfers from FLL or MCO or WDW - only from MIA. Flights into MIA tend to be more expensive than MCO or FLL, but appeal to international travelers who typically rent a car from MIA to go to WDW, or transfer planes to fly to MCO.

Finally, if you drive down, there's no need to purchase a SunPass. Some areas of the FL turnpike are cashless, but they do have a pay-by-plate system. In any case, if you drive down thru the FL turnpike to the port, you should not hit any cashless tools. And of course, you could drive down I-95 and avoid them. Worse case, if you do hit one of them (then start south of downtown), you will get the toll fee via mail with a $2.50 administrative fee. The fee covers all the tolls you may incur in a month. This IMHO is a much better option than getting a SunPass, which costs you $5 to start, plus money you have to deposit.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
We sailed the Wonder out of Miami on Feb. After some research, best 'bang for the buck' was the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon - it is near the airport and a few miles from the port.

The Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon has a locked parking garage which was a bonus. We parked at the port however. Note that there are some parking lots, however the area they are located is questionable.
We are driving from Tampa in Oct and staying here one night pre-cruise. We pretty much code it for this reason - parking in a gated garage. For just over $200 for one night, we get a nice hotel, a hot breakfast, and parking. DH will drop DD & I off at the port AM of cruise and then park back at hotel & shuttle over. We are used to driving in AM of cruise and paying $120 to park at Port Canaveral, so for us, seems like a great deal

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: