Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #332
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post

I've been checking the DVC site too, it doesn't look good. We could do a 3 night wait list, or maybe 2 separate 3 nighters which might increase our chances but yeah, it is looking like 1 here, 1 there, nothing together. If I had to bet, our chances are probably better on pool view as there may be pool view people waitlisted for boardwalk view but who really knows. Bummer is right.
That's what I was thinking. I thought I would just wait list for the last three nights (Sat, Sun, Mon), but we would probably have a better chance of getting the first three nights. But that doesn't make sense if we go to the party on Friday night.

I don't know - what do you think?? I will waitlist for the first three if you want. Guess we better decide soon.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #333
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
That's what I was thinking. I thought I would just wait list for the last three nights (Sat, Sun, Mon), but we would probably have a better chance of getting the first three nights. But that doesn't make sense if we go to the party on Friday night.

I don't know - what do you think?? I will waitlist for the first three if you want. Guess we better decide soon.
And if we do the carriage ride! VWL makes a ton of sense for the first 3.

How about we do one for the last 3 and then one for all 6 (because we like to live on the edge like that)

Old 03-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #334
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How about we do one for the last 3 and then one for all 6 (because we like to live on the edge like that)

We do?

Ok, sure....why not?

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 03-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #335
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
We do?

Ok, sure....why not?
LOL! I'm totally flexible you know but I think you make a great point about the first 3 nights actually being better for VWL anyway. I suppose the other option is 2 waitlists for the last 3, one for boardwalk and one for pool. Or we just stay put and don't even think about any of it!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #336
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
LOL! I'm totally flexible you know but I think you make a great point about the first 3 nights actually being better for VWL anyway. I suppose the other option is 2 waitlists for the last 3, one for boardwalk and one for pool. Or we just stay put and don't even think about any of it!
I think I'll waitlist for both BC and BCV for the last 3 nights!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #338
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Hi, Cynthia. I'm just popping in to say hi and have a good weekend. Ever since the engagement, the kids have been driving me crazy.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #339
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Hi, Cynthia. I'm just popping in to say hi and have a good weekend. Ever since the engagement, the kids have been driving me crazy.
Hopefully it's a good crazy! I had to go pop over to your thread and read the actual proposal update as I hadn't seen the details yet and figured, if they are driving you crazy they must be talking about earlier dates! What a sweet picture of the two of them! Have fun seeing them this weekend.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #340
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Yum, the bread pudding looks amazing! Lucky dinner club!
natebenma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #341
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Hi Cynthia !!!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #343
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Free beer!

Before we get back to trip planning, (and yes it does continue complete with drama though perhaps not the kind anyone was expecting) I thought I’d do a mini TR!

The E’s get a full week off for President’s weekend, their mid winter break. K&T do not. Back in 2009 we went to WDW during that week, K&T missed school and we learned then the hard way it just wasn’t worth it to have them miss school once we hit middle/high school. Which is why we have a July/August trip planned. But for the 4 of us it is a week we can do something quick and local. So we did. Jeff planned a crazy 4 day, 3 night last minute road trip.

First up was McMinnville, OR. Why McMinnville? I’ll tell you soon. But first, on the way, we had a very specific lunch spot in mind. Deschutes Brewery. A great Brewpub, in Portland. We like their beer and have eaten there before and it was a logical stop. We left on time ( a little before 8am) and made it to Portland about 10 minutes before their official opening at 11:30. We enjoyed a fabulous lunch and great mirco brews. Unbeknownst to us it was a special day there. No, not President’s day weekend, instead it was Zwicklemania. What is Zwicklemania you ask? We had no idea. It did mean all kinds of interesting specials on the menu though. Apparently, this is what it is!

2012 President’s Day weekend, dozens of Oregon breweries and brewpubs will open their doors to visitors for the state’s 4th annual Zwickelmania. Zwickelmania, hosted by the Oregon Brewers Guild (OBG), is a free statewide event that offers visitors a chance to tour Oregon breweries, meet the brewers and sample their favorite beers.

When: Saturday, February 18th, 2012 from 11-4 pm
What: Oregon Brewers Guild Brewery Open House.

Huh. We ordered.

I had
HOT CORNED BEEF
Green Lakes Organic Ale braised corned beef, Gruyere cheese, gala apple kraut, roasted red pepper sauce on Black Butte Porter rye bread $11.5

Evan had
BREWERY BURGER
Seared Coleman Ranch beef, Mirror Pond Pale Ale aioli, Tillamook cheddar, butter leaf lettuce, hot house tomatoes, shaved red onion and brewery made pickles

Eric had
NW FISH & CHIPS
Crispy fresh Ling cod from NW waters dipped in Mirror Pond Pale Ale batter and bread crumbs served with passionfruit red cabbage slaw, brewery fries, caper tartar sauce and lemon $16

I think Jeff has something off of the special menu but really don’t know for sure.

It was incredibly yummy!!!!!!!!!! Of course we enjoyed some beer with it, doing a taste test comparison of a couple different IPA’s while the kids enjoyed the homemade root beer. On our way out, we all hit the restrooms. Which had one of the funniest directional signs I’ve seen in a long time. If you look towards the back of the very giant warehouse type room the brewpub is in, it says “OVER HERE”.

LOL!

The place had filled up while we were eating and there was now a considerable wait for a table. We soon realized why. As we walked back to the restrooms we could see into the brewing area, where the tours were going on. It was packed. Packed full of people drinking beer! Was we passed it, a staff member came out and saw us looking in. He asked if we were there for the tour. Jeff quipped, “no, but we’ll take one of those beers”. And sure enough the guy went inside and got us each one! Now that’s my kind of pixie dust.

Happy tummies, we got back into the car and headed off to our destination, about an hour outside of Portland.

McMinnville is home to the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum. Which just so happens to house the Spruce Goose. Biggest seaplane ever built and flown only once. Of course we HAD to go see it. They have literally built the aviation museum around it

It also happens to have a waterpark. Now what in the world connects a water park to an aviation museum?

Well, you can link anything if you get creative enough! Put a 747 on top of a building, have slides come out of it and voila! Aviation waterpark!

Now…here is where some of you might flame me. We took the kids to the water park, got them all settled and checked in, and left. Granted, we didn’t go far. Surrounding the museum and waterpark (it’s acutlaly 5 building in total, quite the complex) are…vineyards. Our BFP (Big Fat Plan) for the day was to let the kids get wet and slide to their hearts content, while we did a little wine tasting. There is an actual tasting room in the Aerospace building. Not so much because we were expecting anything fabulous in the way of wine but the reality is, I can’t do indoor waterparks. I have a ridiculous eye condition, very serious dry eye that requires me to take medicated drops twice daily. Basically I don’t make tears and the ones I do make, are non-nutritive. I am not a candidate for surgery either. For the most part, now that I’ve finally figured out what it is (3 doctors and probably looking stoned for 4 months straight later due to how red they were…I’d joke I looked like a vampire but once someone said that to me I got REALLY serious about figuring out the issue) it’s fairly manageable. I have flare ups and have to be really careful about certain things. You may notice that I have my sunglasses on in most pictures. Wind makes things really really bad, really really fast. Bad as in hot poker in the eye, crying for hours, staying up too late reading kind of burning, constant pain. It’s really draining. Driving at night is another bad thing, it strains the eyes, they get more dry and pain can ensue. Driving at night in the rain, well, that can completely wipe me out. Just going to the store and back. It is ridiculous and annoys me to no end.

But nothing causes immediate pain faster than an indoor, heavily chlorinated, environment. Like this.

I can do an outdoor pool or waterpark. I can do an indoor one if it is well ventilated, although not for terribly long. Should the boys have to miss because I truly can’t go? No. Were they old enough to be there safely? Yes. Were we within a 2 minute run if needed? Yes. Could Jeff have gone with them while I did something else? Sure...but that wasn't what he had in mind either.

We set up an hour, on the hour, check in. We’d be gone for an hour, come back, see how they were doing and then repeat. And that’s what we did! We strolled over to the aerospace side, checking out the vines as we went

We tried a few of the wines and shockingly enough, liked the Riesling the best. We purchased a bottle, selected a table where we could view much of the museum and just hung out. Oregon is known for it's Rieslings and Pinot Noir's in particular, neither of which we are big fans of but this was pretty tasty.

We had a nice view. If you are an aerospace geek that is!

Each hour, we’d take our wine up to the counter, they’d store it in the fridge for us and we’d go check on the kids. A couple of times it rained on us and once we drove back and forth as a result. The lines for the 747 slides were LONG due to the holiday weekend, the place was packed. Honestly, I’m not sure Jeff and I would have had the patience to wait for them. But the boys did and as a result were able to ride both a couple of times and then do several of the other things. We were there for about 4 hours. On the final pickup Jeff, who had a non swimmer bracelet to go in (I didn’t have one at all) had to go in and try to find them. It was a bit freaky as they’d been SO good about being up front on the hour for the check in.

They weren’t ready.

They couldn’t find their towels.

They’d left them out, in the locker room.

Nice big Lands End towels.

Gone.

Luckily I had two more in the car so we were able to get them dry and head out. In all honestly they could have been taken off of a lounger just as easily and LOTS of folks had left towels out, they didn’t do anything they didn’t see others doing.

We have bad luck with towels. Once, while driving to a summer lake vacation, our roof top cargo carrier hadn’t been completely latched and all the towels and life jackets on top went flying down the highway. Thankfully a good samaratian flagged us down, we were able to seucre and recover the life jackets.

Not the towels.

Somehow since then I keep buying beach towels, kids get them as presents and I don’t know what but they’ve bred, multiplied and are taking over the linen closet. So while they were nice, very nice towels, life will go on and we didn’t give them too hard a time about it. We did enjoy our parting view of the wings and waterpark

We had a lovely dinner and a decent nights rest and then spent the bulk of the next day between the Aviation side, and the Aerospace side. I admit, while the Spruce Goose itself was a bit of a let down, the Aerospace side in particular was really really impressive! Who knew. McMinnville!

Check it out.

Aviation side

The kids were fascinated by the “old fashioned” airplane seats.

Evan kept playing with the ashtray. I told him to stop playing with the ashtray. “That’s what that is?” Yep. “You could SMOKE on a plane?” Yep. “YUCK!” Yep. LOL The concept just boggled his mind, that there were smoking and non smoking sections.

Toodling around

Cool vintage planes

More seats (they were everywhere around the place and I think the boys sat in most of them!)

Continued in next post
Old 03-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #344
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

The massive Spruce Goose

A pretty cool model, showing the scale

Basically they didn’t let you see much inside, just the cargo hold, partially filled with beach balls. If you paid to get your picture taken, then and only then could you see the cockpit. We passed.

While I have several pictures of random planes and engines, I’ll spare you all! We finished up and headed over to

The aerospace side

They had a pretty neat lift off simulation

Which just so happened to be right outside of this!

Can’t tell what it is? How about now? Explore this large booster rocket from inside its missile silo, and then experience the excitement of a simulated launch sequence from the launch room.

Ok, that was pretty darn cool! I couldn’t believe they had a full, real, Titan II Missile!

After the missile we grabbed lunch at the counter service there, it was surprisingly good! We went back into the museum for about another hour or 2.

We had to see the Blackbird!

Honestly, we could have stayed longer but we had an hour drive to the next location and didn’t want to get there in the dark.

So we said goodbye

We were going here

Repeating the success of the previous day, I got the kids settled at the pool, stopped by the bar, got a couple of lovely IPA’s on tap (Green Flash, a new one for us and one we liked very much) and Jeff and I sat on our balcony enjoying the ocean. It was Feburary, it wasn’t warm but oh, the sound of the surf! Nothing like it to me. I used to visit this coast as a child and it brings back really good memories. Dinner was yet another brewpub (it was pouring and easiest) and then the kids watched a movie while Jeff and I hit the hot tub. Which wasn’t very hot. We picked up some decaf and headed back…to our balcony of course! Even in cold weather we are balcony people and the efflorescence of the surf at night, to me, is just magical. I tried to take some nighttime surf pictures but they didn’t really turn out.

Continued in next post
Old 03-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #345
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

In the morning, Jeff and I went for a walk (me) and run (him) on the beach. It was cold, windy and wonderful! The kids played on the beach while we got ready.

Having at least gotten a little sand and surf into our system, if not any sun it was time to eat! We checked out, and this took a bit as the place was NUTS due to the holiday. I really should have taken room pictures, it’s a very cute place although the pool was a little dated and odd.
We then headed to a place of local fame…PigN’Pancake!

It was now presidents day and the place was packed. But.. totally worth the wait. Sourdough pancakes. Nothing like ‘em!

Next up? Another childhood memory of mine, one every northwesterner big and small, should experience. The Tilamook Cheese Factory!

It was just as much fun as I remembered, we watched them make LOTS of cheese!

I admit, I don’t remember that much about it from my childhood, other than having their fabulous ice cream at the end (pretty much the only kind we buy at home). It was really fascinating and fun and impressed all of us on so many levels. If anything, I’ll buy more of their product as a result and given that it’s also typically the only cheese and yogurt we buy, that’s saying a lot! Of course, we had ice cream at the end.

Hung out with the local cows who provide the fresh milk 24 hours around the clock from local farms

And visited the loaf tour bus.

We needed to hit the road, we still had a long drive ahead. For the next couple of hours, we just enjoyed the scenery. What we forgot was the variable speed on 101. It made things take a LOT longer than our route planning had shown. We’d planned to stop for some pictures in Canon Beach. And we did. Although for some reason it was hard to get close for a decent shot. I am always amazed by the sizes of these rocks!

As you can see, it was pretty grey and foggy out, not to mention rainy!
But we also decided to stop for something else. Can anyone guess what?
Yep. A beer. LOL!

Cute little local pub that brewed it’s own beer. The brewmaker actually came by our table so of course we had to have some of his wares! Cute place, full of character, including Bill! had we been hungry, we’d have eaten but was still stuffed from breakfast, icecream and then oh yeah, the cheese we’d bought and had been eating in the car! It reminded me how adorable the town is and that Jeff and I need to go there for a couples trip in the not to distant future. Preferably when it’s not pouring though.

It was already 5 by this point and we still had 3 hours of driving so hopped back in the car. Here is where it got a little interesting. Once we got over into WA it got pitch dark and windy real quick and we were stuck behind poky people. And it was raining. NOT a fun drive for Jeff. It was a holiday and we had no idea if we’d find food at our destination so decided to stop on the way. Thanks to google, we found a random Italian restaurant (yes we do branch out from brew pubs from time to time) just off the highway. It was such a fun, unexpected little gem. Great service, great food and we walked out of there very restored for the last 45 minutes of driving. So restored we decided to hit the grocery store and get a bottle of wine for the room.

Why?

Well we had a balcony there of course!

Arriving and checking in, in the pouring rain, we realized that while we had a balcony, it was so set back (forgot about the sand dunes, another town I hadn’t been to in years) and in the rainy dark, you really couldn’t see much. But our room was a suite and so the kids settled in with a show, as did Jeff and I in the “living room” and a relaxing remainder of the night, after a very long and full day, was had.

Continued in next post

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: